• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon with misleading stats

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • People talk about height and weight and whatnot that is surprising to know about, but how about stats, and what mons have stats that you did not expect to go the way you thought it would.

Anything is allowed, a mon that looks fast but is actually slow, a mon that looks strong but is a light hitter, you name it.

For me, looking at it's design, I thought that Whiscash would have a high speed stat, or if not, the fastest Water/Ground mon, or if not, a speed stat above 70. It actually has a speed stat 10 points lower than that. Ok then, although that means most of the Water/Ground mons share very similar roles.

Years
    • Seen today
    Glalie has exactly 80 in every single stat.

I thought this was a late game pokemon with a late evolution, so it would turn into something great. I'm still pretty fond of it, regardless of stats.

Years
  • I must say I didn't expect Incineroar to be slow. It's a buff bipedal tiger with long arms and legs, you'd think it was at least averagely agile from the looks of it. I like to jokingly imagine that it walks slowly because it strikes poses and exhibits comedically exaggerated tough-guy mannerisms all the time.

Years
  • bronzong. bronzong was one of my pokemon when I replayed platinum a while ago and its stats total 500 when I planned to have it. you know, must be nice to have a tank who can endure cynthia's garchomp's earthquake or whatever and bring problems for poison types etc. but dang, that sp. atk. is atrocious. and plus, that movepool was hella garbage if you ask me. I mean, you would think that if a pokemon is slow it would be compensated with high sp. atk. but noooo

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Breloom. It looks like the second stage of a 3 stage evolution line and i would expect stats that are similar to Pokemon like chameleon or wartotle. However its atk stat is 50 points higher than what i expect.

Years
  • Moved this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, since stats are more game-focused!

I really like this thread. Because I really wanted to complain about Onix lately after replaying Gold. I mean, it's a giant snake made out of boulders and I'd wager getting hit by something like that would hurt like heck. But 45 attack?? why???

Years
  • I was NOT expecting Umbreon to be that bulky. It doesn't even look bulky. How is it so bulky wtf.

Years
  • Oh, yes, Eeveelutions have lots of that. Glaceon has 110 Defence just like Umbreon and also doesn't look like it, but Leafeon of all things takes the cake here with the highest Defence of all of them at 130. It looks soft and cuddly, but has stats as if it wore armour.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • umbreon is just this mammal that should not be able to take hits as well as it does. as a kid playing pokemon stadium 2 and not really knowing how stats worked, but knowing my favorite pokemon was umbreon and constantly using it, color me surprised when it lived through an explosion when i was battling team rocket on gym leader tower. that was the only pokemon i had tried those fights with that could outlive the move.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2022
    Purugly, an overweight ball of feline fluff, has a base Speed stat higher than that of the Eon duo, who, iirc, are said to fly as fast as jets

Gyarados has a Special Defense stat of 100, which actually makes it viable as a specially defensive tank.

Years
  • Moved this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, since stats are more game-focused!

I really like this thread. Because I really wanted to complain about Onix lately after replaying Gold. I mean, it's a giant snake made out of boulders and I'd wager getting hit by something like that would hurt like heck. But 45 attack?? why???

I have to second Onix. Especially as a Charmander fanboy, Brock's Onix seemed invincible; when I finally got one on my team and found out it hit like a wet noodle, I was more than a little peeved.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Decidueye's Speed still makes me salty. It's funny comparing a Pokémon's stat's to another's, and the fact that a gorilla with a drum, a gorilla with big arms and small legs, a gorilla that's lazy, and a freakin' rock turtle are faster than an archer owl.

Also, Regieleki's stats kinda shock me (no pun intended). I was expecting its highest stat to be Special Attack, but instead it gets a 200 in Speed. And Regidrago's base HP is also 200?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • bronzong. bronzong was one of my pokemon when I replayed platinum a while ago and its stats total 500 when I planned to have it. you know, must be nice to have a tank who can endure cynthia's garchomp's earthquake or whatever and bring problems for poison types etc. but dang, that sp. atk. is atrocious. and plus, that movepool was hella garbage if you ask me. I mean, you would think that if a pokemon is slow it would be compensated with high sp. atk. but noooo

Wanna know another interesting thing? It's actually in fact a physical attacker with 10 more points in physical attack than special.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • This is something I've kept thinking all the time, Donphan is always seen rolling around really fast in the anime, but it has a base speed of 50? It's something that's always tripped me up.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Honestly, I've always found it weird how Scyther and Scizor's base stat totals are the exact same. Not only that, when Scyther evolves into Scizor, it gets SLOWER. You'd think that Scyther's base stat total would increase upon evolving, but nope. It's the same. Both 500. The only difference is that Scizor's stats are distributed differently.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    Moved this over to Pokémon Gaming Central, since stats are more game-focused!

I remember hearing belsprout hits harder

Years
  • haha yeah you heard right :x Bellsprout has 75 base attack vs Onix's 45. I dunno, I just feel like there's no way for that comparison to make sense.

Even worse is somehow this literal snake made of boulders hits the same as wurmple a small insect. Truly a massive oversight

Other than that I was kinda surprised to see just how god awful smeragle was. Encountered it for the first time in that cave under the battle frontier in emerald and thought the ability to learn any move permanently was so broken until I looked at its stats. Stat total of 250 with 20 in both attack and sp. atk. Like what??? What's the point? It can't dish any damage, it can't tank hits, and its highest base stat, speed, at 75 is lower than magikarps which is 80.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Mentioned good ones above already.

- Eelektross's base 50 speed. Looks quite sleek. Slithers through the air reasonably fast. Ought to be quick. Winds up slower than its first stage (60 -> 40 -> 50).

- Vikavolt's base 43 Speed. Follows Eelektross's trend (46 -> 36 -> 43). Does not expect a speed demon. Estimates 70 or so. Actually stands a stone's throw away from Slowking's base 30 Speed.

- A surprisingly decent base 65 Speed for Walrein. Outspeeds Pokemon like Bouffalant and Incineroar. Matches several eeveelutions (including Vaporeon) and Electrike.

- Base 85 Special Attack for Stantler and Smoochum. Equals Blastoise in Special Attack. (Eyes Blastoise for this now.) Beats out Meowstic (83) and Ninetales (81).

- Absol's base 135 Attack and 75 Speed. Imagines them reversed. Sits between Machamp (130) and Conkeldurr (140) for Attack instead.

Back