• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dumb things you did

Years
We all make mistakes, especially when it is our first game. What are some of yours?

Let's see in Pokemon Yellow I used Pikachu's thunder shock on Onix, confused as to why nothing happened-- Ash's Pikachu can hit every Pokemon with electricity.

I also tried to use a fire stone on my Charmeleon. I thought evolutionary stones forced any Pokemon to evolve as long as you had the right elemental stone. I thought I was going to have a Charizard once I bought a fire stone from Celadon dpt store lol!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
In Leaf Green, I threw a few great balls at ditto and couldn't capture it. It was my first time playing pokemon, and the transforming fascinated me enough to make me waste my masterball.

I later had nothing for Mewtwo and my older brother had to catch it for me.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
catching about 50 pidgey on my first red cart because I would pretend they died every time they fainted, but really badly wanted a Pidgey that I could keep.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I legitimately thought the GSC rival's name was ???, so that's what I named him during my first play-through of Silver. Also, if I recall correctly, I used my first Master Ball on a Stantler (and a non-Shiny one at that).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I always to believed that ponyta evolved via firestone. Playing kanto games after not playing them for awhile I used a firestone on Ponyta becuase I forgot that it doesnt work. I probably thoight that cause the other two two-staged Kanto firetypes evolve via firestone

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
I kept restarting Sapphire for minor reasons, even as far into the game as Fortree. It was a miracle I even reached Sootopolis. I also ran away from a shiny Wingull and released a shiny Vulpix.

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Before looking at Bulbapedia, I thought Wormadam evolved into Mothim, so when I needed to see a Mothim to complete my Pokedex on Pearl, I kept on rebattling the same trainer who had a Wormadam about 50 times, thinking that it would eventually evolve into a Mothim.

Years
Oh how did I forget about this blunder of mine...

I did not know how to catch Pokemon right away. I thought that every time I battled a wild Pokemon and knocked it out that I was capturing it! I thought that I had lots of Pokemon with me as I journeyed through the first route in search of Viridian city.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I kept starting new games in Yellow because I could never find the Card Key. I thought the game was broken. I also started a new game when I noticed the battle animations stopped working. I thought a newly caught Pinsir was the cause. It never occurred to me that maybe messing around with the options might have done that.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
My first Pokemon Edition was Yellow and I was very little then and I didn't know how to save so every time I switched on my GBC I started a new Pokemon Yellow Adventure hahaha
Seriously though they could've added a Autosave option or still can I guess.

Years
I did not know that you could change the order of your party of Pokemon.

Since Pikachu was the first Pokemon I received in Yellow he was the party leader from beginning to end of the game. No matter how many times I rematched the e4 in Yellow I had no clue that I could reorder my party. I thought the only way to use a different Pokemon was to switch in the middle of the battle. Obviously because he literally fought in every single battle he was extremely high leveled. Hit level 100 pretty quick, no rare candies-- remember I thought rare candy was just food.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I wouldn't necessarily call this dumb but more so trying to stick to a script. I've had Yellow since virtually the day it came out and when I first got it, I tried playing the game exactly like the Anime. Hence I had all 3 Kanto starters, Pikachu, Butterfree and Pidgey(whom I evolved into Pidgeotto at 18). I battled Brock with just Pikachu and Pidgeotto(since that's what Ash did even though Butterfree would have KO'd Brock like a twig) and followed up with Butterfree and Pidgeotto against Misty(despite the fact I could have used Pikachu to KO her in no time flat). Then only Pikachu against Lt.Surge made for some interesting fights... lol. I also didn't evolve my Kanto starters until they did so in the Anime. That meant Bulbasaur and Squirtle never evolved and Charmander didn't evolve until after Ash had 6 Badges. Fortunately... I'd never have to deal with a disobedient Charizard but early on, sticking to an Anime script wasn't exactly wise.

Guest123_x1

Early on in my experience with the Pokémon games, I made some really dumb yet critical mistakes, all on Yellow:
  • Like VisionofMilotic and many others, I kept trying to use Pikachu's Thundershock on the Pokémon in the Pewter Gym, not bothering to read the type chart or pay attention to the Gym Guide's advice beforehand.
  • I kept trying to catch other Trainers' Pokémon, particularly those that couldn't be found in that version, including Weedle fielded by Bug Catchers and Team Rocket's Pokémon.
  • I wasted my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd after getting frustrated over it breaking out of my Great Balls.
  • I ran from the battles from each of the Legendary Birds, as well as both Snorlax.

Years
I wouldn't necessarily call this dumb but more so trying to stick to a script. I've had Yellow since virtually the day it came out and when I first got it, I tried playing the game exactly like the Anime.

That sounds like fun actually. Have you played the fan made game Pokemon Ash Gray? I don't want to get off-topic but its remarkable how much it follows the anime.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
That sounds like fun actually. Have you played the fan made game Pokemon Ash Gray? I don't want to get off-topic but its remarkable how much it follows the anime.

Haven't played anything but my hard copy of Pokemon Yellow. I really should look into getting a modern generation game sometime soon(might do Pokemon Sun for Alolan Vulpix since Vulpix is my favorite. I choose Vulpix over Charmander in most Yellow playthroughs).

Back