• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Fighting Dojo ~ Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
When you enter Saffron City, you might notice there are two gyms! One is the Saffron City's official Psychic Gym, while the other is a neat little Fighting Dojo:

Fighting_Dojo_RBY.png

You fight off against all of the BLACK BELT trainers, eventually facing off against their master. When you defeat him, you get to choose between Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan. Hitmonchan is more defensive while specializing in punching moves, while Hitmonlee is more offensive specializing in kicking moves.

Which one did you choose? Or if you were to choose now, which one would you choose and why?

Years
I used to always pick Lee as a child, but Chan has increasingly grown in my opinion as time has gone on. Now I would never pick Lee, which always seems to look less cool every time I look at it. Unfortunately, usually when I get to the dojo it's no longer worth using either of them.

I'm currently doing a bit of a different run through on Red were I try to use pok?mon I usually wouldn't, so I've gone to Saffron and picked up Hitmonchan before even getting my third badge so it can be with me for a longer period of time.

I always liked the concept of this non-official gym, I hope it gets re-used in future.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I chose Hitmonlee when I played Blue for the full run for the first time; it became a full member of my team, and it performed rather well against those nasty ice-types from Lorelei, oho.

Might try Hitmonchan next time. It looked pretty cool back then with its elemental punches. 8D

Years
Both are cool. I chose Lee. Why? I don't know, it looked cooler at the time with it's big foot sticking out. Didn't know Chan was more defensive and Lee was more offensive though. The more you know. :)

Years
I chose Hitmonlee because Hitmonchan was weaker in that generation. He had the elemental punches, but they were awful since they were considered special moves back then.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I always pick Hitmonlee, because that one time I picked Hitmonchan and found out how non-STAB its moves were, I was disappointed hahah. Hitmonlee is a solid fighting type that's good to have in the E4.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
Wow, here was me thinking I was going to be in the minority but it seems like everyone chose Hitmonlee!

Years
He had the elemental punches, but they were awful since they were considered special moves back then.

Wow, I didn't realise this. I think I'll have to drop him from my team then because that makes him almost useless especially when considering Counter only works after Normal & Fighting moves on RBY.

Lee is definitely the 'correct' choice to make then.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I normally choose Hitmonchan because I found him cooler than Hitmonlee especially with his Elemental punches, but from what I read here I think Hitmonlee seems to be a better choice.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I chose Hitmonlee the first time, based entirely on design. I still prefer him over Hitmonchan, but now I use 'Chan to breed for a Hitmonlee with Mach Punch. ^_^

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
I chose Hitmonchan as a kid because I thought he looked cooler. I still like Hitmonchan more, but I think I would probably choose Hitmonlee if I played again because I've never used him in a playthrough and he's a bit stronger.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
If I remembered correctly I picked Hitmonlee because his design looked a little better but don't think I have ever used either.

If I want to use a Kanto Fighting Type I use Machamp especially as you can get one early in Yellow.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
When I was young, I picked Hitmonlee, because I liked its design more. Upon finding out about the base stats of Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, I found out Hitmonlee was stronger. So today, I still prefer Hitmonlee.

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
Lee as it had a better move pool than Chan. But now that Chan has Iron Fist and the punches are physical then I think Chan would be better.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 20, 2017
Lee has one of the best attacking movesets of the game, although his defenses are a little low.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
When I was younger, I'd pick Hitmonchan because he got the elemental punches, but when I realized they ran on special, I started picking Hitmonlee lol. Can't really enjoy those punches if they...you know...are running off a shitty special stat.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
Years
For me it was Hitmonlee. Jump kick having 100 power and Hi Jump having 130 (I could handle his occasional crash), Plus his high attack stat was just too epic to pass by. Also if you weren't using a HM Slave, back in they day he was a great choice for Strength.

Back