• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Snivy vs Tepig vs Oshawott

Snivy vs Tepig vs Oshawott?!

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hello 2010! I can't believe we're half way through 2010 already... gosh the year has flown! Pokemon Black and White will be out in just a few weeks. Which will you pick as your starter? Which do you think will be the absolute best? What do you think their evolutions will be??? Ooh I hope Tsutarja isn't named Smugleaf....

And Tepig what if he's fire/fighting? I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO!

In case you didn't realise, it is indeed not 2010. But the title was a little bit of a throw back to before most of our original journies in these games started. Weekly polls are now making a return, but instead of following a random order they will be questions relevant to a whole new journey around Unova. So pick up the games, get playing and answer.
495.gif
RoHB7Gs.png
498.gif
RoHB7Gs.png
501.gif

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
  • Which starter did you prefer when they were first revealed?
  • Which starter do you prefer now?
  • In terms of absolute STRENGTH, which do you think is best?
  • Which has the best/worst final evolution?
  • In a battle... who would win????
  • Which did you pick?!

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
My first play through I chose Oshawott.
Now I constantly change between Oshawott and Snivy as my favourite.
Strongest? I think Samurott.
I am not a fan of Emboar.
For the poll I pick... Snivy.

blue

gucci
Years
Which starter did you prefer when they were first revealed?

Tepig, it's fricken adorable!

Which starter do you prefer now?

Still Tepig. I find the Unova starters to be more forgettable than others, they just don't seem to stand out to me as much for some reason. I do like Tepig quite a lot, but the other two I could take or leave.

In terms of absolute STRENGTH, which do you think is best?

I'd probably say Samurott. I do remember using one and it turned out to be very useful on my team.

Which has the best/worst final evolution?

Best final evolution would probably be Emboar with the worst final evolution being Serperior.

In a battle... who would win????

Probably Samurott just because I see it to be the strongest out of the three.

Which did you pick?!

I chose Tepig!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I first picked Oshawott.

I still prefer Oshawott, though I've used both Snivy and Tepig so I like them more than I used to. (particularly Snivy)

Oshawott has the best evolution in my opinion, I love Samurott too.

Samurott is probably the strongest, though I bet Serperior with Contrary would be pretty nifty.

In a battle, well probably the one with the type advantage would win....assuming they're all at the same level. (or I guess whichever trainer is better skilled)

I still chose Oshawott in the poll even though I've grown to like the other two since gen 5.

Years
Snivy, the smug design made me love him from the start.

Snivy, I always choose it for a Unova playthrough and I have multiple competitive shiny Serperior.

Probably Tepig, it evolves to the offensive Emboar. But Serperior could also rack up contrary boosts to be stronger.

Snivy has the best final evolution. (Serperior!)

Snivy

Which did you pick?!
SNIVY! :D

Years
Which starter did you prefer when they were first revealed? Think I preferred Snivy tbh, it was a while ago though.
Which starter do you prefer now? Still Snivy, seven years it's still my favourite Unova starter.
In terms of absolute STRENGTH, which do you think is best? Probably Tepig tbh, that thing is pretty strong.
Which has the best/worst final evolution? Best is Oshawott and worst is Tepig imho.
In a battle... who would win???? Tepig probably.
Which did you pick?! Snivy <3

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
WALL OF TEXT LAUNCHED!!!
Spoiler:

Last edited:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Oshawott, it's cute.
Still Oshawott though Snivy is pretty close now.
Serperior, as mentioned, was granted Contrary basically giving it a strong STAB with a Nasty Plot boost; Emboar gains Reckless, which it can abuse thanks to its access to Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Head Smash; finally Samurott gets... Shell Armor. At least it could be either physical or special, I guess? In the end, I'll say Serperior though Emboar is really tough in the lower tiers.
Best is Samurott, I still like how a sea otter turns into a sea lion and has a built in shell sword. For worst, I'll say Emboar but I still like it.
If it's a 3 v 3 then:
Serperior loses to Emboar due to HP Ground only 3HKOing.
Emboar only KOs Samurott with Wild Charge if it's banded (fun fact, Superpower KOs both but with 3 v 3, the Attack drop will not OHKO the next one).
Samurott has a slim chance on OHKOing Serperior with either Megahorn or Ice Beam.
In the end, the most likely scenario I see is Emboar winning because Serperior knocks out Samurott with Leaf Storm and Emboar can knock out Serperior with either a banded Superpower or Flare Blitz.
Which did you pick?!
Picked Oshawott in Black 2 and White, picked Tepig in White 2, picked Snivy in Black. I've picked Oshawott in the poll.

Years
Oshawott! I mainly thought it was the cutest of the three, and when I saw it being hated so much I was quick to defend it.

After 7 years, I still love Oshawott. It's pretty much my mascot Pokemon.

I guess Emboar would be the most physically strong, with Samurott being close behind. Serperior's body makes sense in why it's the weakest of the three.

Best final evo is Samurott, because how can you not love a samurai sea otter/sea lion creature thingy? Emboar is the worst for me, because you know... Fire/Fighting for three generations in a row.

Samurott for sure. Water moves would drown Emboar, while it gets a few moves to handle Grass-types so not even Serperior's type advantage will win.

Which did you pick?!
I always pick Oshawott when I play a Unova game. It's my mascot and I shall never part with it.

Years
501.gif
all the way! I do love me some Snivy though, and Tepig is adorable ~

Originally I thought Oshawott was a little funny-looking. Poor thing got so much flack towards the beginning too, then the games/BW anime came out and people realized he wasn't as bad as he seemed originally ha =p In an ideal world, Samurott has the edge with ice against Serperior (as long as it's fast enough...) and water against Emboar. Meanwhile Snivy was the fan favorite since the beginning but had a less-than-stellar moveset come BW's release.

Emboar and Pignite are definitely my least favorite evos. =( Just a little too bulky for me. Not the type of pok?mon designs I like at all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I kinda really love them all!

But I love Snivy a little less. For almost all of my playthroughs I have picked Tepig. Emboar is strong if you give it the right moves and I don't really consider water types to be a threat in Unova. A strong fire type (with Fighting vs all the dark types) is generally strategically a good move.

Plus Emboar is just SO COOL.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 14, 2018
Well I prefer Emboar. Snivy seems to be the cutest of the three, though. But in my book, usefulness > design, and I have no methods of getting Contrary Serperior in the region I live.

Oshawott is ok but to me he just seems a worse Totodile and I don't feel like he's as good as Tepig or Snivy.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
501.gif
forever! Just look at how cute that animation is!

Which starter did you prefer when they were first revealed? I don't remember, actually. I do know that Oshawott grew to me as the water starter, which is always my obvious choice. I don't regret that preference at all.

Which starter do you prefer now? I like all of them, but Oshawott is still my fave of the three.

In terms of absolute STRENGTH, which do you think is best? Ermm, I have only used Samurott and Serperior so I can't judge for Emboar, but I think all three of them are pretty tied.

Which has the best/worst final evolution? Samurott 4 lyfe. Worst is Emboar bc it's not as unique.

In a battle... who would win???? At this point my preference should be obvious... I think Emboar actually? It seems very bulky but idk.

Which did you pick?! In my seven years of playing Gen V, I've picked Oshawott thrice and Snivy once. Next run I'll pick Tepig, I promise.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Which starter did you prefer when they were first revealed? Snivy
Which starter do you prefer now? Snivy
In terms of absolute STRENGTH, which do you think is best? Snivy
Which has the best/worst final evolution? Best: Oshawott | Worst: Tepig
In a battle... who would win???? Snivy
Which did you pick?! Snivy

But it's much more "which I dislike less" instead of "which I like more". This is one of those Gen where I didn't have an instant love, and I chose Snivy because it looked smug and I love Grass Types. Oshawott becomes really cool tho!

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Oshawott and Tepig are fine starters. Don't pick Snivy because it is the worst of the three unless you have the hidden ability.

Years

Someone mentioned bacon puns on a message board and I said DUDE...IT'S TEPIG!

Oshawott?

Uh....Samurott probably. I had a female one on my second playthrough named Ella if I remember correctly

Samurott=BEST Serperior=WORST

Oshawott......?????

Which did you pick?!

Tepig=first playthrough
Oshawott=second playthough

RIP Ella the Samurott due to my stupidity.

Last edited:
Back