• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your starter by region?

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Kanto - Charmander
    Johto - Totodile
    Hoenn - Torchic
    Sinnoh - Piplup
    Unova - Snivy
    Kalos - Chespin
    Alola - Rowlet

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    kanto- squirtle
    Johto- Chikorita
    Hoenn- Mudkip
    Sinnoh- Piplup
    Unova- Snivy
    Kalos- Fennekin
    Alola- Popplio

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Kanto - Bulbasaur
    Johto - Totodile
    Hoenn - Torchic
    Sinnoh - Piplup
    Unova - Tepig
    Kalos - Fennekin
    Alola - Litten

Hoenn is by far the hardest choice, all three are equally great.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2023
    I think I remember the ones I picked for my very first time.

Kanto: Bulbasaur
    Johto: Chikorita
    Hoenn: Torchic
    Sinnoh: N/A, never played Gen 4.
    Unova: Oshawott. I actually couldn't decide because I didn't particularly like any of them, so I made a random pick with a dice roll.
    Kalos: N/A, never played Gen 6.
    Alola: Litten

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Kanto - I've never actually played a Kanto game :( But i want to get Blue for the 3DS, in which I'll get Charmander!
    Johto (SoulSilver) - Chikorita! (Sydney) <3 She was a female, too!
    Hoenn (Omega Ruby) - Treecko! (Vern) I was actually having a lot of trouble choosing which starter I wanted...but then Mega-Sceptile dropped and it was so beautiful that the decision was made. <3
    Sinnoh - Piplup (aqua) on Diamond, my first-ever Pokemon game; then Chimchar (Infern) on Platinum. I later did another playthrough of Platinum with Turtwig (Gaius) - I don't really have one Sinnoh Pokemon that I look at and feel like, "yes, that one's my partner! <3" like I do for other gens; Infernape would probably be the closest because my original Platinum team was special to me.
    Unova - Oshawott (Kawa) in Black (OF COURSE), Snivy (Sera) in Black 2, who was female
    Kalos - Fennekin! (Flicker) I had serious sparkly-eyes for Fennekin at the time, haha. i recently began a new game where I chose Froakie (Raspberry), but the Fennekin line is still the most "iconic" for me.
    Alola - Due to getting both versions for the first time, I actually got to use all three starters! Rowlet (Haumea) in Moon, Litten (Regulus) in Sun and Popplio (Georgium) in Ultra Moon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2021
    Bulbasaur
    Cyndaquil
    Mudkip
    Turtwig
    Snivy
    Froakie
    Rowlett

4 Grass, 2 Water and 1 Fire. Never really thought of myself as a grass type fan but look at that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2021
    I think I remember the ones I picked for my very first time.

Sinnoh: N/A, never played Gen 4.
    Unova: Oshawott. I actually couldn't decide because I didn't particularly like any of them, so I made a random pick with a dice roll.
    Kalos: N/A, never played Gen 6.
    Alola: Litten

I agree, definitely the worst starters. I pick Snivy since Serperior is the best competitively. If you ever get around to playing Gen 6 they really make up for it. All three starters are great, I think.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Kanto: Charmander (was on FireRed, until I lost the game)
    Johto: Cyndquil (was on Soul Silver)
    Hoenn: picked Treecko easily left in pc box, don't like any of the starters this gen (in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire)
    Sinnoh: Chimchar (I only have Pearl)
    Unova: Oshawott at first (now I mainly pick Snivy)
    Kalos: Fennekin all the times I played it (love foxes, first play through Fennekin)
    Alola: Litten all the times I played it (love cats too, first time was Litten)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2023
    I agree, definitely the worst starters. I pick Snivy since Serperior is the best competitively. If you ever get around to playing Gen 6 they really make up for it. All three starters are great, I think.

The saddest thing is that Oshawott eventually grew on me, and I actually liked Dewott a lot. But then comes Samurott and out goes all the charm.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Sinnoh: Piplup
    Unova: Oshawott
    Kalos: Fennekin

(Haven't played a generation 7 game yet).

Last edited:

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • First starters I ever picked:
    Kanto (LeafGreen): Bulbasaur (Even though I like Charmander more)
    Johto (Crystal): Totodile (It was my favourite of the three at the time, but now I like Cyndaquil more)
    Hoenn (Emerald): Treecko (But I like all three equally)
    Sinnoh (Pearl): Turtwig
    Unova (Black): Snivy
    Kalos (Y): Fennekin
    Alola (Moon): Rowlet
    It's ironic how Fire is one of my favourite types, yet when it comes to starters, I prefer the Grass types most of the time.

Years
  • In order by my first playthrough: Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Chimchar, Snivy (lol one of these things is not like the other) and Froakie.

Years
  • Kanto - Charmander
    Johto - Cyndaquil
    Hoenn - Sceptile
    Sinnoh - Piplup
    Unova - Oshawott
    Kalos - Chespin
    Alola - Rowlet

I find it interesting that the only two times I picked a Fire-type starter first, I ended up liking the Water type starter more (which means going by favorites, I have a 4-3 Water/Grass split).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have tried a number of pokemon with different games. Because I change starters so much, I will go by my first picks. I am pretty sure these are correct.

Kanto (Blue) = Squirtle
    Johto (Gold)= Cyndaquil
    Hoenn (Ruby) = Mudkip
    Sinnoh (Diamond) = Piplup
    Unova (White) = Tepig (Technically I started with all three. I had 2 DS's and I bought both games at the same time and traded over.)
    Kalos (X) = Froakie
    Alola (Sun) = Rowlet

I tend to not like Grass starter pokemon, I have only really liked 2 which were Rowlet and Treecko. I didn't start liking Treecko till much later in the age of Third Gen though. I ended up choosing Treecko in Sapphire, Emerald and Omega Ruby.

But yep, I have been here since the start. I have owned all games but a few. But I have played every generation and at least one version of a remake.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kanto: Charmander
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Mudkip
    Sinnoh: Chimchar
    Unova: Tepig
    Kalos: Chespin
    Alola: Rowlet
    I normally start with the one that looks the coolest haha
    It was really hard deciding in Kanto, Hoenn and Johto between Cyndaquil and Totodile. But these are the ones I like the most.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • The very first time I played each game was very different to what I'd choose now lol

Kanto - Blastoise (now would be Venusaur)
    Johto - Feraligatr
    Hoenn - Treeko (flip flop between this and Mudkip almost every time)
    Sinnoh - Piplup (I struggle to pick between Infernape and Torterra now)
    Unova - Oshawott (would be Snivy now, though they all are kind of bad)
    Kalos - Chespin (same as above, but would be Froakie)
    Alola - Rowlet

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Kanto - Charmander (I like Charizard for his speed, but I actually like Blastoise alot better)
    Johto - Cyndaquil - (Typholosion is faster than the others and looks sorta menacing)
    Hoenn -Torchic - (This was my very first starter)
    Sinnoh - Turtwig - (Torterra has this interesting ankylosaurus/ turtle appearance and is the most interesting starter up to date)
    Unova - Oshawott - (I like Snivy better but for some reason I always pick Oshawott)
    Kalos - Fennekin - (I didn't really like the other starters at the time)
    I haven't played any generation VII game yet, but I would pick Rowlet.

Last edited:
    Back