• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Year of Gaming - Week #6: Minesweeper - Bombs...Bombs Everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years

• kFaxvE5.jpg

Minesweeper
    - Week #6 -

Think you have what it takes to be PokeCommunity's best gamer? Prove yourself in PC's Year of Gaming Challenges! Each week a new game will be picked to see who has what it takes to get the highest score in a game ranging from old school to current modern classics. The people with the top 3 scores will be given emblems due to their abilities. At the end of the Year of Gaming, the top 3 overall performers will get unique emblems as well. If you have a recommendation on what we should play next, send me a VM/PM and we'll see what we can do!

9LHfbVY.jpg
    "The player is initially presented with a grid of undifferentiated squares. Some randomly selected squares, unknown to the player, are designated to contain mines. Typically, the size of the grid and the number of mines are set in advance by the user, either by entering the numbers or selecting from defined skill levels depending on the implementation. The game is played by revealing squares of the grid by clicking or otherwise indicating each square. If a square containing a mine is revealed, the player loses the game. If no mine is revealed, a digit is instead displayed in the square, indicating how many adjacent squares contain mines; if no mines are adjacent, the square becomes blank. The player uses this information to deduce the contents of other squares, and may either safely reveal each square or mark the square as containing a mine."
    Rules

☠. Anyone who has the app on their phone can use that version of the game to play it. However, the dimensions of the field need to be 16x30 or above for the score to count. If you don't have the app, you can access the game through the link provided here.
    http://minesweeperonline.com/

☠. After your game is officially over, take a screenshot of your time of completion (top right corner) and comment below with said picture. This is how you enter into this challenge.

☠. You have an unlimited amount of tries to get the greatest time. However, only the top 3 scoring members will obtain an emblem.

☠. You have one week to participate in this challenge, meaning the last date to send an entry will be July 26th, 11:59 PM ET.
    Emblem

qcW0aPY.png
    Standings
    1. Oryx - 251 seconds
    2. Juno - 255 seconds
    3. Illusione-Tempus - 308 seconds
    4. twocows - 372 seconds

Year of Gaming Universal Standings
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Year of Gaming Hall of Fame
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Pretty much yeah.

So the 1 person that will by pure luck beat this challenge gets the emblem?

Actually, a lot of this isn't luck based. It takes a lot of quick thinking to figure out how many bombs surround each point, and adding that the challenge will be based off of time will have people thinking on their toes. A good change of pace to some of the other challenges if I do say so myself.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So you have to beat it quickly at 16x30 (or higher but if it's speed-based then no one's going to do higher lol)?

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • So you have to beat it quickly at 16x30 (or higher but if it's speed-based then no one's going to do higher lol)?

Exactly. The only reason why I put the greater than 16x30 note was because if people who didnt have access from a PC wanted to play this challenge from an app, I needed to put parameters on the hrid size considering there are different sizes of Minesweeper. However, it will give them an added degree of difficulty if they have to use a bigger size, but at least they get to participate and it's not like it's not manageable.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Yet another game I have no chance in winning at. I don't even know how to play minesweeper, every time I click it's a mine.

Years
  • i had like 1/4 of the field done, checked this thread, randomly clicked because there were a lot of mines around every number...

it was a mine

i'm just gonna focus on the game jam, see ya next week

Yukari

☠. After your game is officially over, take a screenshot of your time of completion (top right corner) and comment below with said picture. This is how you enter into this challenge.

By that do you mean when we complete the game, or when we die?

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Then Don't expect anyone to finish this challenge. I like Minesweeper but even I have never finished it on Expert.

Well it is called a challenge for a reason. Not every week is going to be a walk in the park. Similar to the Tetris challenge a few weeks ago, the game is going to test a different aspect of the every day gamer. In this case, it's challenging them to be patient, think at a fast pace, and strategize to get the fastest time possible.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I did it!!! I did my best with the screenshot, you can't zoom all the way out in my app and when I went to take the screen the "you won" box disappeared. But you can see the sunglasses dude :) I think I attached it? If not I'll edit it until I make it work haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-21-16-03-57.png
      Screenshot_2014-07-21-16-03-57.png
      79.8 KB · Views: 21
    Years
  • I just realized that there is no rule on the number of bombs. For the sake of Oryxs score, we can count the number of bombs she had and set that as the rule.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I just realized that there is no rule on the number of bombs. For the sake of Oryxs score, we can count the number of bombs she had and set that as the rule.

I went with the expert setting, which I would assume would be what he wanted since he said expert to begin with - that's 99 bombs.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I just realized that there is no rule on the number of bombs. For the sake of Oryxs score, we can count the number of bombs she had and set that as the rule.
    I went with the expert setting, which I would assume would be what he wanted since he said expert to begin with - that's 99 bombs.
    The only rule I had was that the grid had to be 16x30; if you can find a board that offers that without being such a high degree of difficulty, then by all means go at it!

Also congrats Oryx on being the first finisher of this challenge!

Years
  • I went with the expert setting, which I would assume would be what he wanted since he said expert to begin with - that's 99 bombs.

The default on the PC is 99 bombs too so i guess that's okay. Sorry for bringing a pointless topic up.

Congrats on beating it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back