• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what are the advantages to not evolving weedle? are there any?

Years
    as the title says, when i get my 3ds copy of pokemon red, what are the advantages to not evolving weedle? are there any?

considering that weedle only learns Poison Sting and String Shot at that stage :)

but poison stings pretty good by itself *as bianca *from black & white* would probably say lol *

because weedle's so cute, :) and i'm not really fond of beedrill all that much

i was just thinking about how to go about it :)

Years
    Face it, keeping Weedle as it is without evolution isn't worth it, since Beedrill is the only one of the evolution line that even learns moves I consider usable. You're usually best off going all the way to Beedrill because of that.

Years
    Well, the whole weedle line is weak, and there's not much point to using them. They have bad typing and bad stats.

The only time where it's useful is once beedrill mega evolves, then it has amazing attack and speed.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think Beedrill is really cool, especially in the anime and manga. Not too keen on its Mega form though, haha. I don't really find Weedle cute, so I'd probably only want to make it learn Poison Sting and then evolve it ASAP. Basically, no, there's not much point since Weedle is designed to be a weak worm with its goal in life to grow up to be a strong Beedrill c:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    If you believe in your team building skills, and think through your team carefully, you can find a way to use Weedle.

Caterpie can't have all of the glory...

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    For an in-game team you can do wathever you want as the game aren't hard. It's easy to win with a team that won't last long in the competitive field. I mean I assume you won't have a team of 6 weedle :p I do really like Beedrill's desing tho.

Fawful_X

Monster-hunting Red Mage
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2018
    Weedle does get a minor advantage in that it levels up faster when it gets to the point it can evolve, but that's it.

IMO, just evolve it or swap it out for an unevolved challenge.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I'm having a similar dilemma. Although I love Shiny Beedrill's colors (especially its Mega), I've already got one via LeafGreen and recently caught another Shiny Weedle via Bug Catching Contest in HeartGold. Weedle is admittedly cuter and feels more nostalgic, so I figured I'd raise this one without evolving it.

The perks of not evolving it? There really aren't any other than keeping it cute and using it for Little Cup battles (which it's actually quite usable in if you transfer it to the newer games and teach it Bug Bite).

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    None unless you think Beedrill is ugly or something that would warrant to keep it unevolved. Personally I think Beedrill is good both battle wise and design wise so I'd rather evolve mine.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    the team i'm going for is:

weedle
    ekans
    doduo
    poliwag
    magnemite
    & oddish
    I hope that's not a team for competitive battling, because that's a very weak team (even after you evolve them all). But then again, if you plan right, you can make any team work :).

As for the Weedle line, even after it evolves to Beedrill its still not that good, unless you Mega Evolve it. It depends on what you're planning to use Weedle for.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    I hope that's not a team for competitive battling, because that's a very weak team (even after you evolve them all). But then again, if you plan right, you can make any team work :).

i thought about it and i might get abra instead... just because magnemite comes into the game a bit too late for my liking tbh

so it's going to be:

weedle
    ekans
    doduo
    poliwag
    abra
    & oddish

i know you can sometimes get abra on the *either right or the left side* of nugget bridge... but the darn thing keeps teleporting away :|

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Beedrill, like other low-tier/beginner bug types, is a fantastic pokemon early-game because it evolves at a very low level (level 12 if memory serves). The early stat increases give you a strong edge over your opponents' un-evolved pokemon; however, as the game progresses, Beedrill becomes less and less viable because its stats simply cannot keep up. You might be able to find a niche for Beedrill or make it work because pokemon games are not too difficult aside from challenges, but its not the best option. If Beedrill isn't the best choice, weedle most certainly is not.

Back