• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] 2023 Gaming Challenge

Years
  • 2023 Gaming Challenge

Welcome to 2023's version of the Video Game Challenge!

This is the challenge where we set our own quotas to beat. It's pretty simple, you just set yourself a number of games to finish before the end of the year and then attempt to meet that number. It's a good way to make sure you take some time out of your busy year to relax and enjoy yourself, to motivate you to clear out that gaming backlog you know you have or to challenge yourself if you want to make things spicy. It's in your hands.

A few guidelines to take note of:

- Everything counts. Visual novels, walking simulators, mobile, all those other controversial genres that many on the internet will sneer at: these are all video games, if you wish for them to count towards your list. If you don't, then don't include them. Your list, your rules!
    - A game is finished when one of the following occurs:
    1. You see the end credits.
    2. Where this is not viable, you finish the main mode – for example, with rhythm games, this would be playing through every song, racing games it'd be doing every unlockable cup, etc. If you're ever unsure, ask away!
    3. One of the above happens, and you're satisfied. Want to complete postgame content, trophies/achievements, or get 100% completion? Go for it! This is not required to count the game as finished, but nor is it discouraged.
    4. Extra note: you do not need to see the "true" ending for games with branching pathways and multiple endings, just finishing it once and seeing the credits is enough.
    - For games that have no end like Final Fantasy XIV and Genshin Impact, to name the two that are (still) most relevant: given the time investment involved in these games, significant patches (i.e. ones that provide new story content) released in 2021 count as one new game.
    - Any story-based DLC/expansions released in 2022 can count as a game towards your list, as long as you finish the content they bring with them. If it was released before, it counts as postgame content if you choose to do it.
    - Replays are fine, but the same game cannot be counted twice, unless you are playing different versions of that game - e.g. an original version and then a remake or a different story route in a game with multiple.

It is encouraged that you keep us all regularly updated with your progress! Post back here when you finish a game and give us a review of your experience with it! I'd suggest making a Game Journal thread for the sake of organisation! Credit to Dawn for creating the original version of this challenge (and the original Game-Along also). Now let the games begin!

Participants

gimmepie - 2/13
    Bay - 1/5
    Janp - 8/25
    Ullion - 2/5
    acatfrommars - 0/5
    Cherrim 13/30
    Arcaneum 1/10
    jbsundown - 0/8

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • So I think I'll attempt this challenge since there are some unfinished business on some games I have! We'll go with 5 for now because these aren't short and sweet games lol.

-Hades
    -Pokemon Legends Arceus (beat Arceus)
    -Persona 5 Royal
    -FE Warriors 3 Hopes (Golden Wildfire and Scarlet Blaze Routes, so counts as two I think)

I plan to play the Golden Wildfire and Scarlet Blaze routes back to back. If 3 Hopes can't count as two games I'm willing to squeeze in another game if needed or put down 4 games instead.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So I think I'll attempt this challenge since there are some unfinished business on some games I have! We'll go with 5 for now because these aren't short and sweet games lol.

-Hades
    -Pokemon Legends Arceus (beat Arceus)
    -Persona 5 Royal
    -FE Warriors 3 Hopes (Golden Wildfire and Scarlet Blaze Routes, so counts as two I think)

I plan to play the Golden Wildfire and Scarlet Blaze routes back to back. If 3 Hopes can't count as two games I'm willing to squeeze in another game if needed or put down 4 games instead.

Different routes count as different games yes. You don't have to choose the games in advance though.

I'm shooting for 13 games myself because 15 was pushing my luck a bit.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'll give this a shot this year! Truth be told, I may have less free time this year than I had last - so I'll keep it safe and just say 5 for now. I may bump this number up as the year progresses if I find myself motivated enough beat some games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I don't have a lot of extra time, so I want to set my goal low with five games. I think 5 would be realistic for me.

I just started Super Mario Sunshine on the Super Mario 3D All Stars collection today so that can be my first game.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm going to go with 30 this year. I have more free time at the start of this year and a lot of shorter games on my list, so hopefully this won't be a mistake.

Btw the DLC rule still says "released in 2021".

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I just remembered that I haven't posted any of the games that I am looking at when considering what games to play through and beat. The first game on my list at the moment is my current Game-Along challenge game this month: Against the Storm. There are a few other games I have started but have put on my backlog due to reasons: my Pokemon Black nuzlocke, Fire Emblem Three Houses (True Bleagle route), and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Each of these games I want to finish, but have just had other stuff creep up and take priority. Hopefully this year I'll manage to finish them off :)

Years
  • Let's go with a nice 10 I think this year, with specific games being:

Tactics Ogre: Reborn
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3
    Fire Emblem: Engage
    Gran Turismo 2 (completing every race, yes including the 99 lap one)

Otherwise, I have a lot of randomisers/older games/challenges I've yet to start so I'm sure I can fill up the 10 quickly.

Cherrim

Years
  • January Games
    • Mirror's Edge
    • Final Fantasy XIV: Patch 6.3
    • This Way Madness Lies

Total this update: 3
    Year to date: 3/30

I was kind of hoping I'd start out a bit stronger in January and my goal of 30 feels a bit daunting even if I'm perfectly on track at a rate of 3 games per month.

Years
  • January Update

River City Girls
    Borderlands 3
    Disgaea 2: Darker Hero Days

Progress so far: 3/10 games completed

Errrr.... can we update our numbers at all? I wasn't expecting to be a third of the way through in the first month xd

Years
  • January
    This month flew by very quickly. It felt like I barely played anything, but I managed to beat 3 games this month and play some other stuff. First, I finished Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. Well, all I had to do is to beat the final boss, but it still counts towards this year. It reminded me how I miss Star Wars game like Jedi Knight series of The Force Unleashed. I love the battle system in this game. So, I decided to play Sekiro right after it. I had quite a high expectations of it, because I love Dark Souls and Elden Ring. They got pretty high on my TOP lists in the last two years. But Sekiro didn't really click with me. The battle system was great, but the rest of the game didn't have the same magic as Dark Souls. And it felt a lot like Dark Souls 2 in some regards. I decided to drop it for January and play something completely different. I played DUSK. I like Boomer Shooters. I like cosmic horror. DUSK has both. I like DUSK. And to complement this dark and bloody game, I've played Lil Gator Game. It was such a charming experience. You know I have a soft spot for games like this, so it's probably no surprise that I rated it so highly.

Games beaten this month:
    Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
    DUSK
    Lil Gator Game

[3/25]

For February, I want to finish Sekiro. Maybe the short break will help me appreciate it more. Then, I want to play The Witness. It's a puzzle game that has been on top of my wishlist for a long time, so I think it's finally time to play it. Then, I want to beat The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap for this month's Game-Along. And finally, I want to beat Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator that I got for Christmas here on PC. It should be short game, so I hope I can squeeze it somewhere in between bigger games.

Cherrim

Years
  • February Games
    1. Final Fantasy IX
    2. Pokémon Trading Card Game
    3. looK INside
    4. Nanotale
    5. Cardcaptor Sakura: Sakura Card de Mini-Games
    6. Serial Cleaner
    7. Papers Please
    8. Katamari Damacy REROLL
    9. Infectonator 3: Apocalypse
    10. Outer Wilds

Total this update: 10
    Year to date: 13/30

I went a bit ham this month, oops!!! Most of them are shorter games that I finished in a day or two, but for whatever reason all I wanted to do this month is play video games, so I did.

Years
  • February
    Okay, February was one of the best month when it comes to gaming. I had most of my work-related stuff done, so there was loads of opportunities to play some games. I finished Sekiro: Shadows die twice, which was great, but a little but disappointing. It was something different from other Souls-like games, but it felt unfinished in some ways. Then, I beat Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator in one sitting. Great idea and execution. I also went back to my childhood and beat The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. At the end of the month, I finished The Witness, despite the game doing everything it could to not run properly. I also think I'm done with Super Mario Odyssey. I didn't 100% it in the end, but I was close. I just don't feel like mastering some of the mini games like jumping over a rope. I got to around 40 jumps, then it's just way too hard and not fun enough for me to try to get 100 jumps. So yeah, great month.

Games beaten this month:
    Sekiro: Shadows die twice
    Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator
    The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    The Witness
    Super Mario Odyssey

[8/25]

For March, I want to finish Divinity: Original Sin 2 that I started last week, since I wasn't feeling like finishing Final Fantasy 2 and I think I'm halfway through it. Then, I have no idea what to play. I feel like playing some kind of strategy game. Or maybe I'll start another big RPG. And Game-Along game of course. Well, I'll probably beat more than one game for this month's Game-Along.

Years
  • I'll hop in too! I think I'll play it safe and go for 8. 1 for each month starting in April when I'll be able to play games again properly.
    I'll have to think of some goals as many games I play don't have proper endings! I'll even set an extra challenge of not completing more than 3 games in the same genre. Let's see how that goes :S

Years
  • March
    Not much happened in March. I slowly finished Divinity: Original Sin 2, which I enjoyed and then started several games at once. I barely touched Xenoblade Chronicles 3, then started Monster Crown, but didn't like it, I played like 3 levels from Heidi: The Game for GBA (don't ask), made a tiny progress in Final Fantasy 2, started Pathfinder: Kingmaker and I also played quite a lot of Hero's Hour. I'm almost done with the game, I still have like 4 maps to win. Oh and I got awesome idea to make a "themed night" and played several games with horror-fishing theme. They were fun. I think I'll do something similar again.

Games beaten this month:
    A Wonderful Day for Fishing
    The Thing in The Lake
    lure
    GONE FISHING
    Divinity: Original Sin 2

[13/25]

For April, I want to finish Hero's Hour. Then, I honestly have no idea...

Cherrim

Years
  • March Games

1. A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV
    2. Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV
    3. The Stanley Parable
    4. Mr. Saitou

Total this update: 4
    Year to date: 17/30

Slowed down a little this month, although I had several games on the go as the month turned over.

Back