• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

“Oops, Parkinson's.”

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
Years
  • Though it's not really all that common on sight, a lot of times people with neurological disorders like Parkinson's Disease or Tourette Syndrome use it to a social advantage, like being able to bump into someone or smack them lightly while shunting normal "responsibility" for it. I had seen this before on a sitcom and found it to be rather amusing, and I personally have Tourrette Syndrome and have done similar with it on occasion – can't overuse it or people will get onto you… though it is nice to be able to let a hand flail on someone's side or arm when they're grinding your gears. :p

On the off-chance that you personally have a condition like that, have you ever happenstance took advantage of it in that way, like maybe someone was getting on your nerves and you drop something beside them, reach to pick it up, and knock into them intentionally just to get to them? Generally speaking, what do you think of it when others do it? Does it seem kind of unfair, or do you see it as empowering since that person is using their disability to their benefit?

Well?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Well, I have autism... does that count? I know some people with disabilities also use it to their advantage. Like, they'll blame things on it or use it as an excuse. However, I hardly ever blame my autism or other special needs for anything. The only time I've ever don it is when I've blamed my ADHD on my writing struggles because it seems to be the worst for me.

It really depends though too. I mean, I see some people who are making progress with a disability and that always inspires me. Like, one example would be Temple Grandin. She has said many times she no longer feels autistic anymore, like she's grown out of it (I could be wrong about this though too). Yet, she uses her experiences with it to encourage others who are struggling with autism and other disabilities.

People like that, I admire. Then there are people like Chris Chan. People like him who parade their disability and then go, "oops, I'm autistic sorry". It drives me nuts because it's bad enough people are looking down on us negatively too. There are so many people who will think of us as serial killers because of some person who killed someone and then go and say said person had autism or Asperger Syndrome. It's degrading.

However, I used to do the same thing. I used to parade my autism like it was a badge I just won that day. I learned how much this makes others feel, and I usually just let others know enough so they understand I might be awkward or anti-social at times.

With that said, it depends on what the extent of it is. (I couldn't really understand what you were trying to ask.)

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
  • Well, I have autism... does that count? I know some people with disabilities also use it to their advantage. Like, they'll blame things on it or use it as an excuse. However, I hardly ever blame my autism or other special needs for anything. The only time I've ever don it is when I've blamed my ADHD on my writing struggles because it seems to be the worst for me.

It really depends though too. I mean, I see some people who are making progress with a disability and that always inspires me. Like, one example would be Temple Grandin. She has said many times she no longer feels autistic anymore, like she's grown out of it (I could be wrong about this though too). Yet, she uses her experiences with it to encourage others who are struggling with autism and other disabilities.

People like that, I admire. Then there are people like Chris Chan. People like him who parade their disability and then go, "oops, I'm autistic sorry". It drives me nuts because it's bad enough people are looking down on us negatively too. There are so many people who will think of us as serial killers because of some person who killed someone and then go and say said person had autism or Asperger Syndrome. It's degrading.

However, I used to do the same thing. I used to parade my autism like it was a badge I just won that day. I learned how much this makes others feel, and I usually just let others know enough so they understand I might be awkward or anti-social at times.

With that said, it depends on what the extent of it is. (I couldn't really understand what you were trying to ask.)

Oh no no, those are psychological disorders, and yes, they're really another beast. I was referring to neurological disorders that affect things like movement, speech, etc that aren't to do with psychology. :/

pkmin3033

When broken right down, I'd say it's the same as taking a positive outlook on a negative situation. You've got this thing, and it's bloody hard to live with, BUT you can make it easier. You can get away with things you otherwise couldn't, and why shouldn't you when people annoy you? It's just a more ready excuse to get away with something without incurring any of the potential consequences.

Everyone wants to feel special, or feel better about themselves. These disorders are a ready-made excuse to do just that, and they don't have an "expiration date" of sorts either - you can use them, and re-use them, as many times as you like, whenever you like. The downside is that you have to live with it, and the downside is probably substantially more prominent in the majority of cases, but when you consider it in that light, why shouldn't people use these things to their advantage, to empower themselves, when it is so difficult to do so otherwise? Because it's an inconvenience to others? Yes, it is, and consideration would be nice, but consideration goes both ways. It depends on the individual, the severity of their condition, and their attitude towards it. How often do they use their condition to their advantage? Why do they do it? How do they expect to be treated?

I'd judge it on a case-by-case basis. It's difficult for me to empathise or sympathise, as I don't have these conditions - I have a few metaphorical screws loose, but nothing of the nature of what is being described; at least not at present, thankfully - but I've been on the receiving end of this treatment a few times, and the scenarios and people involved have been markedly different each time. On occasion I've gotten really annoyed, I'll admit, but for the most part I tend to ignore it, or take it in stride. It's just another social interaction, and that sort of thing is ingrained in who we are: we know how to respond, or not respond, to certain behaviours. Delving into that would take me all night, and it'd be both irrelevant and wholly unnecessary.

It's annoying when people do it, especially when it's so painfully blatant, but...well, I personally can't begrudge them that, because in their situation, whatever it is, I would probably do the same sometimes. It's a way to cope, to feel better, to feel empowered when it's very difficult to feel that way. Just another tool in the arsenal. If you think of it like that, rather than a crippling, horrific condition you'll never recover from, wouldn't that make it more manageable? In that sort of situation, who WOULDN'T look for a way to make their life more bearable? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but that would be how I'd see it.

I'd say this can apply to psychological disorders as well, though. But then, perhaps I've become cynical from spending too much time on Tumblr, where people advertise and compare their psychological disorders like it's a competition to see whose is objectively "worse" in some circles. But I suppose that is another way to empower oneself...albeit a strange, fairly twisted one that almost makes a mockery of the condition, whatever it may be. It really does depend on how often you do it, I think and, more importantly, what the reaction you're aiming for is.

Hopefully that didn't step on anyone's toes...

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    There is no such thing as taking advantage of a disability. These people are trying their best to cope with illnesses, it is not "shunting responsibility" or "using an excuse".

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Well I don't know that that's true, I live with an epileptic and he certainly milks that for all it's worth.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    You can take advantage of anything though I find what was mentioned in the op to be considered mainly coping

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Well I don't know that that's true, I live with an epileptic and he certainly milks that for all it's worth.

Okay then he's an *******
    but to say "when people with epilepsy do this" and word it like OP did with parkinsons is pretty much ********.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Someone's been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm :p

As to your point, I think it's just basic instinct to take advantage of things where you can, whatever your situation is. It's like toddlers who do the crocodile tears act to try and get what they want. Lying and deception are an innate part of human nature. It comes with experience and maturity for people to figure out that we're part of a society and that lying, cheating and stealing isn't a good way to live your life in the long term.

Using myself as an example, I used to get migraines when I was younger, and I did sort of milk it to get out of doing things or even just to get away with flat out being rude to people. Migraines aren't fun at all, and I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder, but really it was no excuse for poor behaviour.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • It's wrong morally but nobody is really going to catch you for it. Personally it reflects something more depressing though.

In the blind community this is often called "Playing the blind card". Basically, blind people, regardless of their level of blindness, can do almost anything that sighted people can - I knew a guy who pretty much did everything by himself outside of long distance travel who only had light perception - and he thought it was really ****** for people who use blindness as an excuse to essentially do nothing with their lives. It's not that it's easy living blind - he understood that, but he knew that it wasn't a means to just give up and have everything to do with you. Perhaps it's less of a "bad" thing and more of a giving up your potential independence because you simply stopped trying (or told you shouldn't try).

In my case, I have autism, and a fairly moderate form. I didn't find out until I was older though so I really have a thing against using it for personal benefit. I only even used it for "benefit" once - and that was to stop harassment from one of my managers -it was funny, she VERY QUICKLY stopped her shenanigans when upper management got involved. I kind of think it's more sad than angering that people use it though - there's a lot of people out there who genuinely think they can't do any better when they really could - and I'm not saying that everyone can, because not everyone can... but most can. And there's a lot of lost potential.

p.s. if you don't want a cane shoved firmly up your ass do not actually tell a stranger blind person that they're "playing the blind card". I'm pretty familiar with some "blindisms" used within the community because I am a regular on some popular blind forums as well as having +20 friends that I've talked to in the last year with varying amounts of blindness. My name and my work is a bit known so to speak. Avoid using these unless you are familiar with the individual. Super simple stuff. (And yes, the ones who taught me this **** are perfectly okay with me talking about it.)

I agree with this. I think a lot of autism, on the moderate-mild side, is a lot of what you can do about it. The ultimate tragedy with people like Chris-Chan is that he never owns up to his mistakes and takes responsibility with his life - which means that he's about as independent as a 12 year old boy. He can't really do anything or support himself - even with his "monthly tugboat". And I almost think that it might be too late for him to really change.

I think the best thing you can do as a person with autism is assume that you're a representative. Be the best that you can be and prove that autism isn't just Chris-Chan or some terrible serial murderer in the news. I've gained quite a bit of respect irl by doing just that. Everyone has flaws, some more than others, and people have a change of heart for those who are willing to accept that they have flaws and try to work around them as opposed to acting like the problem's on them, not you. I know not everyone can do this and I know that it won't work in all cases (as I stated above) but it does a lot to seperate yourself from the stigma, and then reveal that you have it - because then they don't judge you, and then they have a different opinion about what autism really is.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I find myself in a similar boat to Loki (autistic people stick together I guess?)

As a joke every now and then or when there's legitimately a problem or accident relating to your disability I'm pretty much okay with it, and I certainly admire people who are able to succeed despite having a disability.

On the other hand people who mil their disabilities for all their worth to get special treatment or to get away with ****, those people disgust me. A disability is never an *excuse*, that's just offensive and wrong. Morality and kindness applies to you no matter who you are.

Years
  • Wow, this place took my topic really seriously. I read some really cryptic things in the posts above, and I have to say... wow. Not to be rude, but where are you guys' humour?

._.

There's nothing particularly humorous about using a disability as an excuse to mistreat people or get ahead in life. That's just disgusting.

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
  • There's nothing particularly humorous about using a disability as an excuse to mistreat people or get ahead in life. That's just disgusting.
    But, that's not what the thread was made about. I'm just as annoyed as someone using disabilities to be selfish as anyone else, but in the OP I was implicitly referring to neurological disorders, and explicitly reiterated that in the next post I made. Those things are really problems that you kind of have to live with and are a bit hard to play as a card the way I see it...

Is it a crime to use a disability as a social empowerment? Let's say I'm at a lunch with some relatives. Imagine a cathedral-style table with a zillion chairs on either side, and the guy next to me is talking everyone's ears off and getting on my nerves. The others may or may not enjoy it but it's really bothering me, and I have Tourrette Syndrome. Most everyone there knows I have it, and I do take medication for it. Well, what if chance has it he drops an item of silverware, or I fudge a plate or something myself? On the ground it goes. Reach to pick it up, and... oops, my head just knotted into his side out of nowhere. Sorry about that. Won't happen again, promise. Maybe now he'll knock the chatter off, maybe not. Now, in that scenario I've used a neurological disorder to make an otherwise unfeasible social point.

That was really what I was aiming for in the OP, but in reality the person (or people, as it were) shooting are the replies. I should make a better bullseye, possibly?

Yeah... this thread really took a turn to the gloomy side of things. :/

Years
  • But, that's not what the thread was made about. I'm just as annoyed as someone using disabilities to be selfish as anyone else, but in the OP I was implicitly referring to neurological disorders, and explicitly reiterated that in the next post I made. Those things are really problems that you kind of have to live with and are a bit hard to play as a card the way I see it...

Is it a crime to use a disability as a social empowerment? Let's say I'm at a lunch with some relatives. Imagine a cathedral-style table with a zillion chairs on either side, and the guy next to me is talking everyone's ears off and getting on my nerves. The others may or may not enjoy it but it's really bothering me, and I have Tourrette Syndrome. Most everyone there knows I have it, and I do take medication for it. Well, what if chance has it he drops an item of silverware, or I fudge a plate or something myself? On the ground it goes. Reach to pick it up, and... oops, my head just knotted into his side out of nowhere. Sorry about that. Won't happen again, promise. Maybe now he'll knock the chatter off, maybe not. Now, in that scenario I've used a neurological disorder to make an otherwise unfeasible social point.

That was really what I was aiming for in the OP, but in reality the person (or people, as it were) shooting are the replies. I should make a better bullseye, possibly?

Yeah... this thread really took a turn to the gloomy side of things. :/

I don't mean to be offensive, but that sounds like the same thing to me. You're using a disability - neurological disorders are a type of disability - as an excuse to get away with doing the wrong thing.

It doesn't matter if that person is annoying you, it's still wrong to do so and if you are aware enough to use your condition as an excuse then you're aware enough to know better.

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
  • I don't mean to be offensive, but that sounds like the same thing to me. You're using a disability - neurological disorders are a type of disability - as an excuse to get away with doing the wrong thing.

It doesn't matter if that person is annoying you, it's still wrong to do so and if you are aware enough to use your condition as an excuse then you're aware enough to know better.

How sky high are your morals that you'd think something like that to be out of place?

Years
  • I play the rape card whenever people ride my ass about my depression. It's similar. It doesn't work as well as you'd think. Some people just have no empathy.
    Then again, I am legitimately severely depressed at the moment, so it's sort of more like explaining the situation in the most graphic way possible than I'm using it to get out of something.

Years
  • How sky high are your morals that you'd think something like that to be out of place?

Not really. I'd be pretty ticked off if someone wanted to pull off a stunt like that on me. Like the people Magic Christmas Lights describe, I'd probably just not empathize. I don't want to play games like that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would feel annoyed knowing that someone was taking advantage of my sympathy to their condition to mess with me.

That being said, I guess it would feel satisfying knowing I was messing with someone I was mad at by taking advantage of their sympathy. So I can see why people would want to do it, because revenge feels good, but I still wouldn't condone it or say it's the "good person" thing to do. But how many of us are good people 100% of the time?

Back