• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2016 US Presidential Elections Thread [Trump Wins]

Years
  • ITT: not acknowledging someone's victory and not stopping a crowd from booing = having a hostile tone

So much shade on Sanders. It all boils down to perception and you can't really convince someone who's already convinced to take a different perception, but what I can say is that phrases like "abysmal", "senile and desparate" and "a shell of his former self" present the least charitable picture possible. Not objective or balanced in the least, but I'm not saying that you're claiming to be. ("Senile" seriously?)

Bernie Sanders should absolutely continue to take the fight to the convention and past the convention. Regardless of what happens, the progressive agenda for more democracy, income equality, and equal rights should continue to be fought for. Party unity in this country is a two-way street. This isn't some kind of democratic centralism that when the top makes a decision, everybody else follows lock-step. The DNC is in six weeks, and the election is in five months so can we please chill about party unity for the next six weeks (if even)?

"I think that's his call. It's clear we know who the nominee is going to be. I think we should be a little graceful and give him the opportunity to decide on his own."

Thank you Joe Biden.

Years
  • Yes, the nominee is chosen at the convention, but be honest: is there any practical reason why Sanders would stay in the race at his point?
    We all know the likelihood of Sanders getting the nomination, but just because it's almost impossible doesn't mean that there aren't still benefits to him staying it. By still being in the race he gets attention. I wish it was better attention and focused more on his proposals and positions, but it's better than nothing. If Sanders were to drop out then there would be no voice in the media advocating for all the things that Sanders advocates for and Clinton doesn't. The media would reduce it down to Clinton being the standard bearer of the left/liberal/progressive/Democrat side of the country. She's not. She has a lot of supporters, but she doesn't speak for everyone.

This is an interesting point. Interesting because a lot of those who support Sanders claim election fraud when Clinton wins a state in either an open or closed primary, but when Sanders wins in caucus states (where there's lower turnout, contrary to what Sanders keeps saying about him winning when there's higher turnout), it's a fair-and-square beat down? Please don't use this excuse; it's already been debunked that the system is not "rigged" against Sanders, he lost fair and square.
    A system that makes it harder to vote when it could make it easier to vote is rigged by my definition. Sketchy digital voting machines whose accuracy we can't check are another. The media bias is yet another. People's party registration being mysteriously changed is one more. I could go on. All this together has rigged the primary. That doesn't mean everyone was colluding, that Clinton was masterminding anything, but she's the beneficiary and Sanders (and anyone like him who might have wanted to run but couldn't) are the victims. I'm with you on the caucuses - I don't think they're fair or democratic. It should be a straight up vote like on the real election day. And it should be open to anyone. That way it can be fair. If Clinton had won under these kinds of conditions I'd have no gripes about it. That's not what I see happening this time so I'm griping. And the thing Sanders and his surrogates are doing now, talking about the superdelegates? Not something I'd like to see ideally. Superdelegates shouldn't be deciding things. But it's the excuse for him to stay in the race so I don't mind. It's not going to happen unless Clinton dies or gets arrested or something highly improbable like that. But on the slimmest chance it does happen then it will be important that Sanders stayed in the race until the end.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I want to clarify one point: in the Nevada fiasco, he was denied 56 state delegates (out of a total of 3,300 meeting), which arguably cost him between one and two delegates to the national convention, meaning he ended up with only 43% of the total delegates in a state where he obtained 47% of the vote. Raucus and disruptive it was, you can hardly say it was meaningful in any way when it comes to his total numbers. And that was the only recorded case of him losing any delegates along the way. And Nevada's caucuses are legendarily disastrous- his supporters were originally planning to take advantage of some obscure rules to do a similar thing to Clinton in return. Whatever the case, you can hardly say that is a proof of widespread corruption.

And yes, the registration issues are matters of the states (my best friend couldn't vote because Texas mandates voters to be registrated at least with a month in advance), and either the rules have been there for years (so you could have prepared with months to go) or are matters of the actual State Government, not of the Democratic party in particular.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Hillary is a supremacist and it has been confirmed. The primaries does not judge who will be elected. The only choice is Bernie Sanders in all of this. He is neither racist, supremacist, feminist, warmonger, or have already made fatal decisions. For the love of god....Rodham ( Hillary ) supported both Iraq and Afghanistan.

To vote for her is like voting for crap.

Trump on purposely is trying to make you forget what the words " I want my nation/county back" or " Make America Great again". That means to end the war, get rid of anti-privacy ( net neutrality ), remove visas, and close Cuba bay. Bush II signed away our rights with the patriot act ( unless your too stupid to understand that ).

The world is basically a morphed version of the book/movie "1984". It is that terrible.

Only reason I do not like Obama is for the HRA/Obamacare and the fact he took away usage of financial aide. HRA fined me twice for no insurance and keeps getting bigger. My cousin got his financial aide taken away because he messed up in classes that are no longer covered. Obama wants people to get medicaid/foodstamps/public assistance/welfare and anything else. Not just non-Europeans but all Americans as well. Why? To control people more easy when they sign that dotted line.

Obama also help screwed up laws with privacy. While Bush II signed the primary act what continued after that is more bs. President Obama ( while not so bad ) is more of a Manchurian candidate then Bush. While Bush is more stupid in his actions with Iraq and Afganistan Hillary is the devil.

Hillary is a devil puppet and to choose her over Sanders is just plain stupid.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
  • I for one find my interest more in line with Trump so I'll be voting for him, which isn't usually my cup of tea but it's the best shot at having the dire straits the US is in stabilize.

Years
  • A few thoughts and frustrations with the Democratic Primary:

1. Being descriptively "female" and progressing gender representation are different.

Clinton supported defining marriage as an important institution between "one man and one woman" since the 1990's. Though this is apparently homophobic, this enduring stance and advocacy demonstrates her lack of understanding with regard to the social construction of the gender and sex binary. Those who are not "biologically male" or "biologically female" as defined by genitals are somehow not deserving of rights, let alone any recognition.

Also, during the Clinton Administration, Hillary supported most healthcare coverage, with the exception of transgender healthcare services. In 2001 (during an HRC published interview) Clinton had this to say on this topic, "I have not been told that transgender issue is a concern by my gay and lesbian friends."

In response HRC responded in 2008:

Quote:
    "How would that statement have been taken if she said "I'm unaware of African American issues as no one from the Anti-Defamation League has approached me on this"? Or "I don't know Latino issues as no one from the NAACP were concerned about it"? I'd venture it would cause a stir. Why would it never occur to the Senator to go to the community directly on what our issues were, or the difficulties on housing, employment, health care, etc?"

"Later Clinton was posed a question from New York trans activist Melissa Sklarz on transgender inclusion in ENDA (Employment Non Discrimination Act). Sen. Clinton replied by saying that she supported gender identity inclusion in principle, but that she misgivings about supporting a bill that would place transitioned transgenders in "positions of responsibility". Improvement? Sure. But is she a solid supporter of transgender employment? No."

Not to mention, please do not straightsplain to me how Clinton was championing LGBT rights by blocking a constitutional amendment as Clinton has done during this campaign; why then was it necessary to invoke homophobic (including gay women) and transphobic speech throughout her decades in the political arena? Clinton supported monotheistic, homophobic, polyphobic, and tranphobic policy which had real policy and public attitudinal impacts that have negatively impacted me and millions of others. If Clinton has made strides toward progress (most of which are recent and moderate) do not IGNORE who these actions impacted and continuing impact the other.

For more on religious zealousness, aside from anti-LGTBQ stances, checkout Clinton's complete disregard to the establishment clause when expressing her "offense" to an appellate court decision. The court claimed that the Pledge of Allegiance cannot include "under God" since it violates the Establishment Clause. In response, Clinton made a value-loaded polemic against secularism which infringes upon freedom FROM monotheistic religion which undergirds numerous policies (many of which suppress women and LGBTQ people.) Defending Christian hegemony is not defending women's rights nor religious freedom.

Let's also not forget that despite advocating for closing the gender pay gap, the Clinton Foundation has underpaid female employees over 30% less than their male counterparts (which is worse than the national average). Let's not also forget how gendered institutions, including the white-male-dominated institution Wall Street, financed the Clinton campaign, and thus provide an indication as why Clinton is beholden to white-male hegemony -- which is antithetical to both gender and racial equity. [85%+ of Wall Street Execs including Goldman Sachs are "white" and more than 75% are "male".] To those who blindly defend capitalism and corporate lobbying and campaign finance as expressions of democracy, let this number sink in: .8% of the Fortune 500 CEO's are black men, 5% are women, .0% are black women -- how representative those campaign commitments must be.

Not to mention the inconsistencies with Clinton stance on destigmatizing rape and sexual assault in her experience as a defense attorney 1975 and in defending Bill Clinton and silencing/stigmatizing rather than standing with his rape victims. Of course, one may interject that these rape claims are false. Then again, an estimated 5% (2%-8%) of rape allegations are false according to the FBI. Odds are, of the several alleged victims who have come forth AT LEAST some of the nearly dozen (if not all) of the allegations are genuine. Is it progressive to stigmatize and/or ignore sexual assault victims by powerful white men???

2. Clinton is racist and xenophobic

Clinton has supported the carceral state through pushing the 1994 racist crime bill and racialized crime rhetoric of the "super-predator" (the impacts were disproportionately black incarceration rates, harsher sentencing, fewer rights after release, and more racial profiling), advocating for TANF (decimated welfare, disproportionate benefits to whites vs blacks), advocating and lobbying for the repeal of Glass Steagall [which disproportionately impacted black citizens], exercising acts of war through supporting the invasion of Iraq and Libya other hawkish foreign policy while at the same time accepting money from oppressive dictatorships like Saudi Arabia. Where is the supposed consistent system of values?

As a tribal member, Clinton has been silent and downright ignorant toward the goal of preserving autonomous Tribal Governments. Recently, Clinton had this to say about her experience with Native Americans, "I have a lot of experience dealing with men who sometimes get off the reservation in the way they behave and how they speak." Is casual racism progressive now?!?! Let's throw another PC-time joke in the mix then or ridicule and ignore Black Lives Matter activists. Though Trump is explicitly racist and has made EXPLICIT commitments consistent with his racism/xenophobia against Latinos, Muslims (and Muslim-Americans), and Native Americans, Black Americans it does not mean that Clinton is not also a racist and xenophobe. The same applies to gender.

3. Evolved? More like, Clinton and the core of the DNC ARE the "super-predators" with "no conscious, no empathy". When is the apology coming, or is instituting racialized mass incarceration now just a mere political gaffe?

You can make an argument that Clinton has "evolved" in order to compete against Sanders, but do not try to straightsplain, whitesplain, Christiansplain, or cisplain to me and the othered who do not support Clinton's oppressive policy record, as a GENUINE step toward progress without providing an accurate and detailed deconstruction of Clinton's record, its value system, implications, and why it has changed as the vocal minority has! Do not pretend i Clinton's record does not exist or that it does not matter to those who CONTINUE to suffer the implications of past REGRESSIVE policy, language, and advocacy.

Rather, allow those who do the inter-subjective race and identity research and activism, as well as the the voices of the other in which this research highlights, to express their legitimate claims to oppression against hegemonic in-group ideology [i.e. Black Lives Matter and Critical Race Theorists].

The critique against Sanders' campaign as not taking a more progressive stance, for instance reparations, is more than LEGITIMATE!!! However, it is much easier to identify stances AGAINST the other that Clinton has taken. The DNC (and obviously the GOP!!!) have worked against, spoken for, defined, moderated, and controlled the identity and voices of the other since its inception.

If Clinton's (and the DNC's) policy evolution is "rooted in the same system of values" why do we never hear a philosophical account as to how this transformation took root specifically other than public opinion or arguments akin to "it was a different time"? Being progressive means taking unpopular positions, and yes, sometimes undemocratic action in order to represent the other such as supporting reparations.

Clearly the only value that is consistent with both Clintons' careers is political expediency through utilizing mass public opinion with respect to a specific political context, including a Sanders' presidential bid. Actual progress is achieved through relinquishing power to the other rather than agenda-setting what a "black", "LGBT", or "women's" interest are without actually identifying the root cause -- the in-group ideology which are the white racial frame, male chauvinism, heteronormativity, sex-binary, monotheism (more specifically christian judeo-values) which undergirds our political, historical, and legal norms and policies.

With that said, many Bernie supporters are ignorant on topics of race, gender, ethnicity, and sexuality -- Bernie has also assumed some positions which are seemingly identity-neutral, but at least he is not engaging in the business of controlling and oppressing identity as both the republican and democratic bases have done for decades -- being "better" than the republican does not exclude you from being a party to oppression. [ i.e. stabbing someone in the leg instead of the heart is still an act of stabbing.]

By claiming progress based on sex as a descriptive trait of a candidate rather than identifying how gender identity has been represented through a clear and consistent action, philosophy, and language you are disservicing those of us who do not want to follow the set of politically and socially constructed norms by those with power. Politically constructing identity and interests of the other through agenda-setting philosophically inept "pragmatism", rather than genuine revolutionary change, sustains norms that suppress individuality and genuine freedom of expression of the other in the political process. A record marred by gendered and racialized oppression indicates how Clinton's white, monotheistic, and 1-percenter identity are actually politically salient to exercises of power -- not gender identity.

In voting "Clinton", I will be voting AGAINST Trump, not for genuine gender, racial, and secular progressivism unfortunately. Sander's record is more demonstrative of progress especially with respect to his long held support of LGB (AND EVEN T), anti-racist, secularized, and anti white-male wall-street policy advocacy and rhetoric. Though Sanders' campaign has a MORE progressive and revolutionary stance than any competitive presidential candidate, that is not saying much given a history of US political oppression. In the future I hope we see exponentially more progressive candidates perform well. Since I cannot vote for a Republican without excessively harming myself and others, I am a captured voter of the DNC in order to avoid said harm of the GOP. I assume many others are as well. Do not Hillaryspain or DNC'splain to me or others who have criticized Clinton's lack of progression with regard to identity politics.

PS - For those of you using "[blank]spain" be mindful as to how you may also be engaging in that very process of suppressing the other who have legitimate political criticisms.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Personally I am quite happy with Clinton as the nominee. I do agree, she has the experience and is highly qualified for the job.

Still, while there is a slight resentment over Sanders not getting the nomination, the fact that Sanders was able to fight Clinton for almost half of the pledged delegates with a more or less repeat of the 2008 battle between Clinton and Obama with a much more forceful Center-left platform really did brought to a head the unrest within the Democratic party base. While many folks are quite grateful for Obama's presidency, there is a disappointment in the way he basically bent over backwards trying to accommodate the Republicans and FIRE (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) industries. Which manifested in the long-shot Sanders campaign being highly successful in fighting the Clinton campaign. I still do believe that Sanders should continue this all the way to the convention. No one mentions how Hillary also did so in 2008.

I won't be cynical in thinking that "the elites" won't take notice as to how close this primary was, but in the end this has been a much milder primary compared to 2008. Just look at the PUMA's and the release of photos of Obama in foreign garb back then. It got quite ugly.

Anyway, on the other hand, I do not like the fact that some are taking this quite bitterly. Our landlord for one called Sanders supporters "traitors" as if that would court an integral part of the Democratic party's activist wing. While I do believe that a majority will unite behind Clinton (Just stopping Trump notwithstanding) the sniping and name-calling isn't doing the Clinton campaign any favors.

Years
  • How disappointing, really, that some people are so cynical and hateful of Clinton.

The hateful vitriol and the Bernie or Bust movement isn't helping, either. But that's on the fault moreso of Sanders, I believe, for reasons I already wrote an essay about in my previous post.

Why not critique leaders who have done so much harm? By cynical do you mean unfounded or not submissive?

I will never stop fighting against oppression of myself and others - period. The "hate" and "fear" of the other is why I am expressing my concern personally -- please do not silence or trivialize my voice please. If you would like, examine the actual quotes of hate speech and white/christian/cisgender/sexist/heteronormative policy I presented rather than dismissing genuine criticism.

Also many people are voting against Trump, but democracy is more than a vote. Active participation requires one be knowledgeable about policy implications rather than DEFENDING and LEGITIMIZING acts of hate by ignoring or justifying them.

I will not conform my political philosophy if that means giving up hope of dismantling in-group hegemony. In voting Clinton, it is IMPORTANT to those who have been harmed by a extensive political career that I continue to make Clinton accountable for these actions and still EXISTING consequences for many of us.

Years
  • Would appreciate it if you weren't to react in such a hostile way, because my comment wasn't specifically directed towards you.

Also, please do not claim I am "trivializing" or "silencing" concerns. I am expressing my own viewpoints, and that it is disappointing that so much vitriol is spread. That is all.

Yes, but you specifically sidelined concerns by stating that criticism is cynical, as if it is not real. I do not care if you are speaking to me or someone else you were microaggressing and trivializing real concern. I am intolerant of intolerance; I am outspoken against bigotry and those who are silencing the other. You can express your own view point but I have the right to state and provide reason why it produces harm.

Years
  • I won't be cynical in thinking that "the elites" won't take notice as to how close this primary was, but in the end this has been a much milder primary compared to 2008. Just look at the PUMA's and the release of photos of Obama in foreign garb back then. It got quite ugly.

It's 2016. You can't get away with shit like that anymore. I don't think it reflects the mildness of the race as much as the times we live in.

Both Sanders and The Dark Avenger are "hostile"? Man that's a new one for me. Down with establishment politics.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    ....would everyone please mind calming down a bit? I understand that the 2016 US presidential race and its 3 main candidates are stuff that people feel strongly about, and I think I get why people feel as strongly as they do, but people are starting to get like low-key nasty towards each other in this thread with all the assumptions and the heavy language being used and whatnot. It's kind of stifling any real discussion.

Something I wanted to talk about was what is Bernie Sanders going to from here on out? Barring some crazy shit from now till they officially announce the Democratic candidate, he's lost. So how is he going to spend the next how many ever weeks until they officially declare one of them the one? What is he going to do after that?

Maybe it's obvious enough that no one's felt the need to say, but Donald Trump becoming the next President of the United States is a very real possibility. And if anyone wants to prevent that, the only viable option at this point is, at least after the convention, for Clinton and Sanders to unite in some fashion. Splitting the Democratic voting base will give Trump an easy win in November, yes?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    To be truthful, yes. However, Trump might not win so easily as people may think: With the recent controversy of the whole "him denouncing a judge because he's mexican" thing and another one because they were Muslim (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that), I think voters and especially more moderate republicans would start to drift away from Trump and probably just sit home or vote Clinton.

It's worth it to keep in mind that Hispanics are quite the sizable part of the voting population, so if Trump keeps going with his racist rhetoric, it's only a matter of time until he loses the general election before it evens starts, mostly because of Florida (and we have a lot of Hispanics, here).
    I dunno, I'm not that sure. For the entire race so far, people have always been saying that Trump won't really make and that he'll eventually lose, there's no way someone like him could really get elected. And yet he's made it this far, and is the only Republican candidate left, even though I doubt that most non-Trump supporters would've thought so at first. If his racism, inflammatory/controversial statements, and everything else people don't like about Trump are gonna be the death of him in the general election, I would think that he would've sunk a while ago and not cleanly beat out the other Republican candidates in the majority of states in the primaries, instead of losing late in the game.

I for one find my interest more in line with Trump so I'll be voting for him, which isn't usually my cup of tea but it's the best shot at having the dire straits the US is in stabilize.
    Oh yeah, I was hoping that you could elaborate? Trump supporters are a bit of a rarity in this thread and it'd be interesting at least to hear someone (who's not your stereotypical right-wing nut) explain why they think that Trump is the US's best option of the 3 right now.

Years
  • You know, it's kind of interesting how I've explained my reasoning in as much of a respectful way as I can and yet I get met with patronizing and sarcastic comments, as if they're making light of my thoughts.

I thought we're supposed to be open-minded and respectful for each other's opinions here? I sincerely apologize if that's not the case and we've turned to snippy comments and throwing shade.

It seems apparent that you've ignored my entire reasoning for viewing Sanders as I do, and in that case, so be it.

Sanders didn't do what you expected him to do, thus he is egotistical, abysmal, senile, crass, aggressive. He filled his supporters with vitriol, tells them to hate the Democratic Party and is personally responsible for the Bernie or Bust movement. Also, he's just a message candidate.

Is that what you call reasoning or is that a hyperbolic level of spin?

If you already couldn't tell, I don't have much appreciation for your reasoning, when all it considers are the instances of his personal opposition to Clinton (and exaggerated at that), projects the bad behaviour of his most diehard supporters to the man himself, and ignores his message (that you supposedly liked) completely.

But you know what? I don't think my criticism of your reasoning means anything. Let people make up their own minds. This is what you said about his speech:

Spoiler:

This is what Bernie Sanders said in his speech:
    Spoiler:

So apparently that is Sanders "rather [seeing] the world burn than to work with any sort of deal with Clinton", an "increasingly hostile tone". Also "And tonight, I had a very gracious call from Secretary Clinton and congratulated her on her victories tonight." is continuing to attack, "to an extent", Clinton. Also:

Our campaign from Day 1 has understood some very basic points, and that is first, we will not allow right-wing Republicans to control our government. And that is especially true with Donald Trump as the Republican candidate. The American people in my view will never support a candidate whose major theme is bigotry. Who insults Mexicans, who insults Muslims and women and African Americans. We will not allow Donald Trump to become president of the United States.

is apparently not bothering to attack Donald Trump. Yes, you missed it.

To echo The Dark Avenger, yes, you are marginalizing the issues that Bernie Sanders and many Americans find important when "[recycling] the same "take the power away from the billionaire class, breaking big banks" is all you make of his speech that night. I don't know if you mean what you say, but those words do not strike me as coming from someone who cares deeply about campaign finance, income and wealth inequality, a broken criminal justice system, and healthcare for all.

Or maybe you do care deeply and don't really see the point of Bernie Sanders' candidacy when Hillary Clinton has fulfilled all those things sufficiently already. If so, I must extend my congratulations to the Clinton campaign, because their strategy to sideline Sanders by co-opting his positions and rhetoric worked.

Being respectful doesn't give what you have to say any weight - using reasoning and being objective does. Obviously, it's not a crime to be subjective about some things, but you've strayed from passionate into hyperbolic rhetoric. To the point that I think that most people will look at Sanders' speech and what you said about his speech, and wonder if you were really talking about his speech or something else.

I think your arguments are heavily biased (the rhetoric betrays that) and you never really address that. Your posts are ranty (as you readily admit), but you don't really seem interested in having "any real discussion" when you say something like:

You are free to believe and have your opinions in regardles to Clinton in the very same fashion I am free to have my viewpoints and and expression in regards to her. You believe (according to your paragraphs) that she's a bigot, racist, and xenophobic (a notion in which I heavily disagree with) and I believe otherwise. It's as simple as that.

You state that you're being respectful, but it doesn't really matter whether I or anyone else believes that because it doesn't make what you have to say any clearer or any easier to engage with. I would much rather dissect reasoning and play with more objective arguments than parse whether someone's tone is hostile or aggressive.

The bottom line for me vs. you is give Bernie Sanders a damn break - the President's done it, the Vice-President's done it, Hillary Clinton doesn't need to do it and I'm totally fine with that - because he's made it this far as a non-establishment candidate and because we might as well afford Sanders the same treatment we gave Clinton in 2008. That, and I think it's unrealistic for you to expect for him to shower Clinton with the praise and good vibes you think she deserves because Sanders has a strong message, has stayed ever true to that message, and is respected by people of all political stripes by his integrity and honesty. You can't have it both ways. It wouldn't be true to his nature, and more importantly to you and Clinton, the people that support him won't buy it (and like you've said, you want their support). But I've already made that argument before.

Years
  • He was a message candidate at first, and that's what he ran mostly as, to spread the message of political revolution. If you don't agree with that reasoning, that is completely fine. That is how I see it.

My point is that he's more than just a message candidate, you might or might not disagree with that. I take him at his word when he talks about changing American politics and economy. If you think he's just a message candidate, and he wasn't serious about change, then that means you don't take him at his word and I would consider that unreasonably uncharitable. If you think he's more than just a message candidate, then we have no disagreement.

But you haven't addressed the hyperbolic rhetoric that I gave a few examples of there.

I'm not really sure I understand where you're going with this. If you do not like my reasoning, that is fine. We're free to have our differences in that regard.

The point is that your posts are less reasoning and more rhetoric. There's a lot of bias, and a lot of spin. You say you like his message, but don't talk about it in your posts. You project the bad behaviour of the Bernie or Bust people onto him, which isn't fair. I don't think anybody should be responsible for the actions of people they have no control over. And your posts lately have been focusing on his opposition to Clinton and demonizing that, while not addressing how those actions can improve the likelihood that a more progressive platform can be produced (which Clinton now apparently espouses). It's not just a matter of having personal differences: these examples constitute a high level of bias that makes for poor reasoning.

Way to ignore a large part of what I posted? He became aggressive and hostile over a period of time. Obviously you're not going to see Sanders slam Clinton outright because that'd be a stupid thing to do. However,

This is what Clinton said in her speech (I can't find any actual version of it online so here's the video):

Do you see the difference? Do you see how Clinton attempts to reach out her hand to Sanders' own supporters (and Sanders himself), and all Clinton got back was "congratulations".

That's why I feel you're missing the bigger picture, here. I ultimately feel that Sanders is not working with Clinton but working against Trump, which is really troubling.

Well, obviously, because he hasn't drop out of the race yet. As long as he's still in the race, Sanders will be, in a very significant way, not be working with Clinton. He's been working against Trump however, and he's always been working against Trump just like how Clinton has always been working against Trump.

Now should Sanders be working with Clinton right now? You clearly want it to be so. But you cannot reasonably expect for him to work with Clinton to the extent you desire and still be in the race at the same time. They are mutually exclusive. If he's out of the race and he's attacking Hillary Clinton when he committed to support her, that's a different story. But it's simply illogical to expect him to act like he's behind her when, at first glance, he's still running against her.

If you think it's inappropriate for him to stay in the race, consider that Clinton stayed in the race in 2008 until the final primary. That's just a week away. Joe Biden is totally cool with Sanders staying in the race, treating it as a personal decision.

But anyways, I just don't see how you could characterize him as aggressive and hostile. He's as chilled out as a candidate can be. The "vitriol" in this race is not close to what happened in 2008, ask Netto Azure if you don't believe me. And you have to take into account that Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are a lot more different than Obama and Clinton in 2008. It's in Clinton's interest to be conciliatory to Obama back in 2008 because a) she gets a great appointment which b) sets her up for 2016, and c) she doesn't lose much if she concedes in rhetoric when they are so similar in stance to begin with. Sanders on the other hand, isn't interested in 2020 or 2024 and would have much to lose policy-wise if he conceded early and couldn't exert as much influence on the Democratic party. He's bringing something new to the table, he's not redundant to the extent that Clinton/Obama were in 2008.

Also Sanders' "attacks" on Clinton aren't especially aggressive, they're unsavoury truths. She is close to the financial industry, she does have a reputation as a war hawk, and she was for many policies she now opposes for much of her political career. I don't think I'm being aggressive just for stating facts. It seems like the only way for Sanders to not be aggressive is to simply not mention these unfortunate truths. And he still didn't talk about those damn e-mails. What would any other politician have done? It's definitely nowhere close to:

She'll say anything, and change nothing.

So that's why I think it's unreasonable for you to describe Sanders as being aggressive. 1) He doesn't exactly pursue these aggressive lines of argument (although he does address them) which makes "aggressive" and "hostile" not exactly accurate, 2) he's still in the race and we should expect him to act like he's still in the race, 3) he deserves to be in the race as much as Clinton did at this point in the contest back in 2008.

Interesting. I'm marginalizing what Bernie Sanders and many Americans find important while I'm supporting the candidate that finds those very same issues important as well. Hm.

Also - re: "take the power away from the billionaire class/breaking big banks"

Is that or is that not roughly half of the speech that you posted?

You support Hillary Clinton and you think she finds the very same issues important. That's not my point - my point is that when Sanders is stumping the same speech he's had since day one and what you get out of it is "recycling the same", that sounds like making light of what he has to say, that sounds like marginalization. I'm not crucifying you for saying the word "recycling", but it's simply not a word that evokes appreciation for the same etc.

Oh I do see the point of it. If you want to colour my posts with disregard, that's your prerogative.

It doesn't change the fact the Clinton has tried to outflank Sanders on the left from the right - saying look, I'm just as interested and will go as far as Sanders while not actually going the distance. You don't have much to say about Sanders ideas, and you characterize Clinton as being just as invested and shown just as much integrity about those issues, which goes to show that their message is successful. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Being patronizing and condescending (as you have been throughout most of this thread) does not give what you have to say any weight either, and you've not been very objective yourself. Obviously, I will have a different interpretation of his speech than you do, and that's fine! If you feel that his speech was heartwarming and striking, then I'm not going to chide you for it. It's just that I feel differently and that the Bernie Sanders that I once knew, promising a peaceful revolution is no longer the Bernie Sanders that I see recently.

I admit that I've been a bit condescending, but I hope that you'd look past my sass and understand my reasoning. I've given you reason after reason why I think your recent posts have been unobjective, excessively biased, and as a result poorly reasoned. You've been dodging my critique, of which I make mention in this very post. You claim that I haven't been very objective myself, so provide me with examples and reasoning. I've done the same for you, it's only fair for me to expect the same. Those kinds of claims ought to be supported.

I'm not going to address your other points, because they're, bluntly speaking, and with all due respect, ridiculous. In a presidential nomination, it's hard not to be biased to some degree. Of course I'm biased towards Clinton, but that doesn't mean I'm turning a blind eye to what Sanders has to say. I like the guy, and in the beginning, despite being strongly for Clinton, I was very interested in what Sanders had to say and what his points and positions were. When Clinton lost some states yeah, I was disappointed, but I was proud for Sanders because he pushed his vision forward, and people resonated with it. However, recently, I do not see that to be the case anymore. Again, with 51 percent of Sanders supporters having an unfavorable view of her, and with Sanders absolutely refusing to (or just flat out not doing it) connect with Clinton in the same way that she's been trying to connect with his supporters, then yes, I will see him as stubborn, obstinate, and egotistical. If he cared about defeating Donald Trump, then I believe he should've concede a long time ago and put forth a lot more effort into unifying the Democratic Party so that Clinton would've had a chance against Trump.

I hope you realize that my point was never against you being biased to some degree, because we're all biased to some degree and that's perfectly fine. I've said it before, and I've said it again: it's excessive and unchecked bias that ruffles my feathers - excessive given your choice of vocabulary vs. Sanders that is, well, extreme, and unchecked given that you don't address my points, some of which I delineate quite clearly with an a), b), and c).

Can you point to an instance where Sanders "absolutely [refuses] to (or just flat out not doing it) connect with Clinton"? Because there's this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/09/politics/bernie-sanders-washington/

Which is pretty representative of what he's been saying the entire campaign. I don't know where you get your information from concerning Sanders, but I've watched all of the debates and many of his speeches and he says "the Secretary and I agree" and things of that sort over and over so I'm just very surprised when you call him aggressive and obstinate. And especially egotistical - because "not me. us." is a very prominent theme and he talks so much about the political revolution/movement which is decidedly not an egotistical thing to do. I just don't think it's reasonable for you to consider all of this, but then call Sanders egotistical because he's still in the race. Staying in the race doesn't make anybody egotistical, especially when that person has vowed to support the eventual candidate, vowed to fight against Trump, vowed to continue fighting for populist values and principles, etc etc.

And I've mentioned this in a previous thread, but unifying a party is more than just conceding and expressing support for that candidate. It involves setting an agenda that is inclusive of the disparate constituencies of the party. I could easily make the argument (and I already have) that Sanders, by staying in the race, is doing much more to unify the party because he'll be better able to convince the DNC to adopt the policies that will ensure the support of his supporters. If he conceded early and didn't have as much influence over policy (which let's be real is what were concerned with), and the agenda set at the DNC isn't convincing to his supporters, do you expect them to follow Sanders personality alone? I don't think so.

Instead, he's carrying on a battle that he knows he's not going to win for no other reason other than he wants to be told he lost at the convention. That's really about it. I don't see what going all the way to the convention achieves when it's going to result in riots and violence when he could've conceded and endorsed Clinton; that's what Clinton did back in 08 and the election was quite a bit worse than this then, because it was much tighter.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I really don't think riots and violence are going to happen.

Also, I do want to bring up something else as a matter of my personal concern in this thread. Especially troubling giving Kanzler's post

When in this thread, I am giving my own opinions and thoughts regarding both Sanders and Clinton. I've given reasonable criticisms towards both (and if you say I haven't, you haven't been reading my posts), but yet it seems that the atmosphere this thread is promoting is troublesome for the reason that, god forbid you have something negative to say about Sanders, for you'll get assailed in this thread for being biased, unreasonable, among other things.

I understand that each of us has a strong opinion on who we prefer as a candidate, but that is no actual reason to throw shade, make sarcastic comments, be patronizing or rude to one another. This does not help anyone's point and it instead antagonizes the opposition. Unfortunately, politics brings out the worst in people, and neck-grabbing happens, which I wish it wouldn't.

Just because someone doesn't support your candidate or criticizes them in any way doesn't mean you have to jump on them and shove your reasoning down their throats. While I may disagree with someone who says negative things about Clinton (such as she's racist, xenophobic, hawkish, war-mongering, literally it's endless), that doesn't mean that I am unreasonable and do not see the positive things in Sanders (he's super determined, persistent like no other candidate was before bar Clinton in a good way, strongly believes in the message that he gives, very inspiring, has a better way of communicating his speeches in a way than Clinton does since he excites so many young voters, etc).

In short, I disagree with how this thread is basically, to sum it up, "Feel free to support Sanders in this thread, but don't you dare criticize him", or rather, promoting that kind of atmosphere for what seems like at least the past couple of pages.

I'm really hoping we can be respectful of each other in this thread, because above all else, even if you're objective, it's hard to be taken seriously when you're just being a jerk.

I have to admit that I can be impatient sometimes. I don't like having to repeat myself over and over, especially not I've put an effort in making my point clear just to have that not addressed post after post. I get snarky because, well, I guess I think my posts get ignored because people don't really pay attention, and that snark grabs your attention.

@colours I'm frustrated at you especially because I don't think you've really touched on my reasoning in your posts. I feel like my arguments have been sidestepped. From my perspective, it looks like your concern for respect is just there to avoid addressing those who poke at your arguments. I don't think I'd have as much of an issue with it if you elaborated your arguments a bit more and explained "why" instead of falling back on "we have our differences and that's that". I don't think it's your intention to use concern to avoid addressing rebuttals, but it can be really frustrating all the same.

I think my previous post was fairly articulate and explanatory, but I've addressed your concerns (and pushed you where you haven't addressed my concerns) in this post and I haven't included any jabs here.

tbh I think the frustration in this thread has less to do with Sanders vs Clinton and more to do with people not explaining themselves. At the end of the day, nobody really cares about someone else's opinion, but they're a lot more concerned when they feel like legitimately crafted arguments are ignored. RT runs on mutually referencing arguments. If arguments don't really address one another, then no discussion thread would get anywhere, regardless of how polite the participants are.

Years
  • I wrote a ten thousand character post explaining myself already, where the aggression from Bernie's sidecomes from, and I have repeated myself several times.

That's all I'm really going to say here, Kanzler. Otherwise, this is going to go in circles. Obviously, you dont see it the same way. Interestingly enough, despite my positive praise of Bernie throughout this thread, your post has not one for Clinton, yet I'm "unobjective" and "excessively biased". I don't understand that kind of logic, but I think that says enough and we should agree to disagree, here. We're obviously not going to convince each other, here (if that's where you're getting at, idk).

First off, I am not concerned about whether you praise or denounce Bernie Sanders. I don't think it's necessary in this thread for people to praise or give equal value to all the candidates. What I am concerned about is that perfectly good arguments that ask for responses remain unresponded. But I can give you my thoughts on Clinton to flesh out what I think of this presidential race in general (since that's what the thread ultimately is about).

Spoiler:

This isn't a pissing contest where we compare how objective or biased we are. I admit that I probably haven't said much about Clinton herself for this entire thread, and yes, I am very much in support of Bernie Sanders. But I'd like to think I've been comparatively objective (because in my arguments I deliver a claim, then follow with one or more disputable reasons) even though I haven't been balanced (not really talking about Clinton).

But I'm not comparing myself to you. I don't know why you're comparing yourself to me. What I do know is that I've made plenty of (what I think to be) clearly articulated arguments. What I do know is that you've repeated yourself a lot, and explained yourself a lot, but you haven't really addressed my arguments.

I don't think we're going in circles. I think a more apt description is that we're both going in the same direction, except whenever I seem to get close to you, you end up just a little further out of reach. If you repeat yourself over and over, then of course that would be in vain. But if you respond to my arguments instead of merely repeating what you've already said, then we'd be going somewhere.

Years
  • It's 2016. You can't get away with **** like that anymore. I don't think it reflects the mildness of the race as much as the times we live in.

Well on the Democratic primaries at least. I think the standards for the Republicans past Trump got significantly lower. u_u

Heck he's being blatantly racist towards a federal judge. And I thought standards couldn't get any lower than menstruation euphemisms and mentions about man part sizes.

Years
  • Keep it civil and focus on discussing the candidates and the election instead of launching attacks on each other. Your opinions of one another are irrelevant to the discussion.

Years
  • Oh, I think he's genuine about what he says, I disagree with he way he goes about his message. I say he's a message candidate in a way that his campaign is strongly advocating for a particular cause. If that's incorrect terminology to use, then apologize for the mis-wording, but generally speaking that hasn't changed since he started his campaign.

Fair enough, I understand.

He does have control over that, to some degree. Obviously he can't force his supporters to think a certain way, but he has a huge amount of influence on what direction they should go after he loses. Therefore, I'd say that's a reasonable amount of control, but feel free to disagree!

What do you mean by huge?

Feel free to bring up a specific quote and I'll be more than happy to explain myself.

You brought up his body language in debates in your last post and how that makes him come across as senile. That's obviously subjective, but I think senile is a tad strong.

And sadly, they are not working together against trump.

But given the state of the race so far, you can't just expect him to fall in line, can you? I don't think it's realistic.

Really? You mean, he can't just be in the race anyway, take his "fight" (without any negative rhetoric, key point here), to the convention and encourage his supporters and endorse Clinton all the while promoting his point of a liberal/progressive (whichever term you want to use) agenda, and unify the party then? Is there really no such thing? Not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious.

I thought you had an issue with him taking the fight to the convention and endorsing Clinton then. I also thought you considered him not to be working with Clinton enough at the moment.

Bolded part is exactly my point, and why Bernie has shot himself in the foot multiple times (or at least, I see it that way). It's simply illogical to me to not utilize your influential position as a presidential candidate to unify your supporters with your opponent who's basically on the same side as you are, and continue a nonsensical battle to the convention in which you're going to lose anyway, and your supporters would still claim that it's rigged. That is my worry.

Winning would be nice, but losing the nomination now or later isn't the only objective of Sanders' run. The longer he stays in the race, the more influence he has versus the DNC. If he drops out now before any concessions are made (and you can bet that they're talking to each other behind the scenes), then it's possible that he'll just be effectively forgotten and he wouldn't have made an impact on the democratic party.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again for the benefit of those still following: it's simplistic to think that a Sanders endorsement of Clinton constitutes unifying the party. A lot of his supporters don't see it your way - that they're basically on the same side as Clinton - and would be satisfied with a more progressive platform. It's not about what he says, it's about whether the political vehicle that is the Democratic Party has seats for Sanders supporters. If they feel that their views aren't represented, nothing that Bernie Sanders says can do anything about that. If you go into the store and want to buy something that's red, and they don't have it in red, no salesman pitch would change the fact that they just don't have it in red.

That's why I've said that it's not illogical for Sanders to not unify the party in the way you've been demanding of him so far.

Unless I'm incorrect, she dropped out right after California on June 7th, right? Or was D.C somehow a week earlier?

The schedule of the Democratic primary actually changes every election cycle. The last primaries was held in Montana and South Dakota on June 3. She conceded and endorsed Obama on June 7th of 2008.

Bernie Sanders doesn't lose much if he concedes because him and Clinton are so similar in stance to begin with? Wait, didn't you say something like this yourself?

I don't know where you get your information from concerning Sanders, but I've watched all of the debates and many of his speeches and he says "the Secretary and I agree" and things of that sort over

Look, sometimes when you make an argument, you take quote out of context and as a result misrepresent the meaning of that quote. I noted Sanders' comparatively conciliatory attitude during debates in response to your assertion that:

Sanders absolutely refusing to (or just flat out not doing it) connect with Clinton in the same way that she's been trying to connect with his supporters

I don't think that Sanders and Clinton are very similar in their stances - they have some major differences. But I think it counts as extending a hand that he not only makes mention, but also highlights his agreement with Clinton where they exist. He also says "this is where the Secretary and I differ" a lot too, but when I wrote that statement, it was to make the point to the Democratic audience that there's a lot that they have in common, and therefore a lot they can work towards. Obviously they have some major differences, but we have to consider both similarities and differences.

Bernie does have a lot to lose: 1) less-interventionist foreign policy, 2) less pressure on minimum wage, 3) potentially less pressure against TPP if Clinton flipflops back, 4) less pressure to get money out of politics, among others.

He already exacted influence on the Democratic Party. His general point is to turn the party as left as possible, instead of being flat out center (or center-left), is that correct? With only one primary remaining, and a month separating and the Democratic National Convention, I'm not exactly sure, barring conceding to Clinton and endorsing her/campaigning for her and spreading his message to shape the party (which is my point), what else he can really do. Take big money out of politics? Clinton and Sanders both agree on that. International trade deals? Eh, that can probably be worked on, I dont think it's a huge contention between both of them.

The change he argues for is more revolutionary, admittedly, but I honestly don't think that most Democrats disagree with his goals - they just think it's not politically possible. Trade and war policy there will be genuine disagreement on. But expanding and deepening healthcare coverage for all Americans? - no Democrat could say no to that. And $15 minimum wage? It's definitely more liveable and dignifying than $12, but some people think it might be too much of a shock to the economy. My assertion is that most Democrats agree with Sanders' "Left" vision (barring war and trade, and perhaps some others), but aren't as comfortable with the idea of getting there as soon as possible. A lot of Democrats talk "left" but when push comes to shove, they are satisfied with less.

The big thing vs. Clinton is trust. It seems like you trust her to carry forth with all of the positions she advocates at this moment (some of which she's changed on within the last couple of years). Obama ran on a much more progressive platform than the actions he championed as President. I think if Obama had more pressure on him, he could have kept more of his word. Same thing with Clinton.

And why is it that Sanders, when its this near the convention, which is the most pivotal moment for any party in the hopes of winning the general, still acting like it's the middle of the primary? His "recycled" rhetoric is exactly what bothers me. In my eyes, If all Sanders is going to do is attack Clinton, he's just giving more ammo to Trump for the general election, and even Trump admitted this.

But it's not just rhetoric, it's what he's stood for since the beginning of his political career. It's what many Americans, some of which are on this forum, agree with. Bernie Sanders is an advocate and I don't think it's fair to expect him to shut down his "recycled rhetoric" because of political expediency. For example, Clinton and Sanders both want to get money out of politics, so why shouldn't they talk about her expensive speeches? They're there and they're ugly, but the fact of the matter is that they've happened and we all know they've happened. The speeches and the continued absence of their being addressed don't really support a reputation of being tough against money in politics.

It would help Clinton to divert attention away from her unsavoury aspects, but many of those aspects are representatives of big issues that need political attention. Winning isn't everything, and I believe that there are limits to the actions we take in order to win. I don't think the end of winning the election justifies the means of silencing reasonable political criticism.

It's not like Bernie will become irrelevant if he does concede at this point, contrary to what many may think. His message of a political revolution, to take big money out of politics, to make college education cheaper, to make healthcare more affordable, etc will live on through many young people who will vote for the Bernie Sanders equivalent in Congressional and District races, because that's how politics works. That's not being irrelevant or losing influence policy-wise; I'd argue he's successfully run a pretty damn good race.

People like winners, which Sanders most likely won't be :( But people like fighters too. My worry is that if Sanders quits too early it'll give people the impression that change was never going to happen anyways. If he continues to fight, then that (at least for me) gives me the impression that yes, the vision that Sanders espouses is worth fighting for even if the man himself cannot win - that the message can transcend his candidacy. Bernie Sanders won't become irrelevant if he concedes now, but I think it's important that it gets across to the American public that a vision of an America that works better for the 99% should not go down with the candidates that support it. He might have run a good race, but what's more important is enduring ideas.

I'm getting the impression that you're more disappointed that she isn't outright adopting Sanders' policies. I don't expect her to, to be completely honest. I think the two should compromise on something, but it's kinda silly to expect Clinton to suddenly go as far left as Sanders without losing the support of moderate and conservative Democrats. In short, she's playing it smart: she's saying she can compromise while not specifically adopting his policies, because that'd be alienating people who already support her for being pretty liberal but not FAR left liberal.

Not exactly. It would be nice for her to do so, but the main issue is trust and whether she'd keep to her word. Some of her rhetoric is not very trustworthy, and to me it implies that although she wants us all to believe that she's just as progressive as Sanders, she waffles in her rhetoric because she can't say the same message with as much conviction as Sanders.

Personally, I don't think what a lot of what Sanders is calling for is politically viable in the short term, but it's the right direction. What I worry about is that, in her attempts to differentiate herself from Sanders, she's advocated against the right direction. She helped write a healthcare bill in 1993 that did not provide for a single payer system because she felt it wasn't politically viable. Now she's on tape saying that single payer will never ever come to pass. That sounds like she's closing doors that shouldn't be closed.

What do you think of his policies? What of his stance & rhetoric vs. the financial industry, eliminating the influence of big money from politics, a $15 minimum wage, eliminating tuition from public universities, expanding social security, adopting a less interventionist foreign policy, increasing the tax burden on the top 1%, and moving to a single payer healthcare system?

Ignoring the unobjective and excessively biased because I think those are pretty silly terms to use especially in a political debate where everyone is really biased to a degree, I already explained myself multiple times, and I've explained my reasoning multiple times as well. It's just that you see things differently than I do, which is fine.

I don't think it's silly. I have no problem with bias existing in a debate, because it does and I respect that it exists and even if I didn't there's nothing anybody could do about it. But I have an issue with excessive bias. It's like saying that I have no problem with pepperoni on my pizza, but I really hate it when there's too much pepperoni.

I've disagreed with Harley Quinn, and gimmiepie, and Carcharodin, and Ivysaur (and more but I can't recall from the top of my head) and I'm totally fine with that, because they acknowledge their biases and acknowledge my arguments by responding to them. I feel totally fine to disagree with you, because why else would I be active in this section? I don't mind that we see things differently, but I'd like it if you addressed some of my concerns. For example, when I accuse you of not talking about Sanders policies, you say "I did" and just leave it at that. That's not a rebuttal, that's just an expression of disagreement. I don't really want to go back to the previous posts because that's tedious, so whatever.

And should I go back and quote every single post in your thread where, except for one instance, it seems that have showered Sanders with praise and back and flat-out ignored Clinton accomplishments or demonized it? I dunno, feel free to prove me wrong here. I'd really love to see it!

What would the point of that be? I have a lot more to say about Sanders and a lot more to criticize about Clinton. I don't think it's important to treat all the candidates with equal amounts of praise. Obviously we haven't been doing that with Trump. I don't think participants in a political debate thread should be balanced vis a vis the candidates, because that just stifles the presentation of personal opinions, but I think the participants should avoid excessive bias (obviously having bias is fine and is to be expected) and do that by responding to critiques.

Also, being a jerk in a debate doesn't help people to "see your reasoning". I mean, that's just how debating works. You present arguments utilizing your own language and the oppositions language in the hopes that you as well as the opposition can find a middle ground, or you just debate by trying to understand to come to some sort of understanding where they're coming from. Nowhere in debating does it qualify being a jerk, throwing shade, making sarcastic remarks, being pedantic, condescending, patronizing, disrespectful or rude in any shape or manner whatsoever. Doing so, you've effectively invalidated your own argument, because acting like a polite human being helps in actual discussion.

Well my points still stands. I don't think that either Sanders or The Dark Avenger was being hostile. I don't think Sanders is much different from Obama in his "hostility" towards Clinton. Both of them have been noted as being unwilling to fully pursue Clinton. Both of them stepped up their attacks towards the end of the campaign. Even though Obama eventually won, I'd say they were both pretty similar in their behaviour versus Clinton on the campaign trail. As for The Dark Avenger, he disagreed with you and explained why quite extensively and articulately. If his comments were directed at me, I wouldn't consider them to be hostile.

I don't think my argument or any argument becomes invalidated because of the attitude of the proponent, or because of the proponent at all. That's the beauty of arguments - it's an idea that stands regardless of whose mouth it's coming out of. I admit that I could've been much less rude, and that's why I'm trying to do now, but ignoring a logically consistent and otherwise valid argument because of attitude is just ignoring the argument. I don't mean to persuade any individual person in this thread, but I do mean to articulate an argument clearly, and follow up on rebuttals.

I'm confused. You have no problem with me being biased, but yet I'm criticized for being unobjective?

It's all about degrees. I've repeated this so many kinds: issue is not with whether bias exists, but how much of it there is.

Sorry, I tend to ignore people when they respond to me in an unreasonable "tone" (that can be described on the internet, anyway). It gives off the impression that they have no interest in what I have to say and that they're just really want to shove their views down my throat and nothing more. My vocabulary in utilizing Sanders is perhaps extreme yes, but it was far from unfounded. But that's just me.

You might ignore what I have to say, but I hope that people who aren't as invested in this discussion won't. Look, if I read an argument and I think there's something wrong with it, or make a challenge that isn't responded to, I'm going to point that out and there's nothing personal about it. I have no desire to shove my views down your throat - you're just one person and that kind of thing doesn't matter to me personally. Also, there's quite a bit of a gap between extreme and unfounded.

Anyways, I've gone out of my way to structure my arguments and I hope that will be a good example to how to explain your argument more clearly in cases of misunderstanding.

Interesting. I'm actually pleased because despite ignoring Clinton's victory yesterday (which he was criticized for a lot, and "i congratulated her on the phone" isnt really saying much). Perhaps with this we can actually move forward at this point.

But outside

Which he seems to do according to you link, so that's fine.

You don't think I have a point with Sanders still having an objective to stay in the race by exerting influence on the DNC to present to Sanders supporters commitments instead of just rhetoric and better ensure their loyalty come November?

It certainly happened at the Nevada convention. Who's to say it won't happen at the Pennsylvania convention next month? Who's to say that Bernie's supporters still feel like he got screwed out of the election and they'll storm the stretch outside the DNC until he gets nominated? Who's to say (and this happened a lot in American history), they'll create a massive protest where hundreds of people get arrested just for the sake of wanting to prove some sort of point?

I wouldn't really call that a riot. I recall the 2011 riots in Vancouver, the 2010 G20 riots in Toronto, and the Baltimore riots last year, and that's not exactly what happened at the Nevada convention. But yeah, maybe riots do happen. But couldn't they happen anyways even if Sanders concedes? That could be the inciting event for further riots, because Sanders supporters might perceive that as the ultimate betrayal.

The problem is you repeat your point, each more condescending than the next, which causes me to ignore it because it's condescending, therefore causing you to repeat yourself more with snark, which doesn't really help your point any. Ergo, you should've skipped out on the snark in the first place. I don't like repeating myself either, and I felt like you ignored a lot of my points (or misinterpreted them in some way), but you don't see me making ad hominems in here.

Ad hominem attacks are those that are directed towards your character, not at your arguments. I think I have gone out of my way to make my posts about the flaws in your arguments. I don't think I ever said that your arguments are invalid because you're rude, or because of some other aspect of your personality, because that would be an ad hominem attack.

Which seems to imply you don't care what someone's tone is in a debate as long as they present logical arguments, which is precisely why D&D/RT/OC fell into pieces earlier, because newer members didn't find a reason to participate in a forum with discussion if they're just going to get chastised for their own views and thoughts.

It doesn't imply that. That is not logically valid - not wanting to tone-parse does not mean I don't care about how other people present themselves. In fact, if everybody presented themselves politely, then I wouldn't have to tone-parse so it's completely reconcilable that I both care about attitude and not want to dissect other people's tone.

I think D&D/RT/OC "fell into pieces" earlier because people weren't presenting logical arguments, but were chastising each other and ignoring logically valid points in place of that.

Because you should've worded them in a more respectful way. Like I said, I tend not to respond to points that I feel are generally either roundabout ad hominems, because there's no reason to and it just defeats the purpose of debating in the first place.

Well, my last two posts are devoid of jabs (which you admit earlier), so there's quite a reserve of respectfully worded concerns that could be responded to.

There's another view to look at this: despite the flip-flopping, it can also be argued that Clinton has changed her viewpoints and has simply outgrown them. I suppose it is particularly difficult to trust a politician when they do change positions like we change clothes daily, but I find it unfair that, if we as human beings are able to have a change of opinion on a subject matter, is it such a bad thing that a politician does so within reason?

Flip-flopping, to me, will always be an iffy argument to use depending on the context and why the politician changed, but I firmly believe Clinton legitimately changed her views throughout time and now genuinely believes what she does now--she isn't all talk--and that's the kind of message that I get from her speeches and her actions (I mean it's hard to deny that she's been a serious political/social activist for YEARS).

We'll see after the fact, once she gets elected.

I think she'll be able to. I can raise this same question about Sanders though. Out of the blue, Sanders can turn a 180 on his policies and implement something different. However, like you said in an earlier post in this thread, isn't that what trust is about?

Any human being is able to change their mind. But the issue isn't whether or not Clinton or Sanders have the potential to change their minds, it's who do you trust to stay the course once campaigning turns into governing. Sanders has a long track record of saying and doing the same old thing for a very long time, so I trust him to stay the course if in power. Clinton on the other hand, has maintained positions opposite to the ones she holds now for much of her political career, so the possibility that she changed her mind for political expedience exists. Both of them are capable of changing their minds, but Clinton has a risk factor that Sanders doesn't have, so Sanders is the more trustworthy one.

Then why did you bring up the fact that I was "excessively biased" anyway? If you wanted more reasoning, you could've (and should've) asked nicely. It's odd that you dismiss this since you brought up the fact that I was unobjective or unbiased in the first place. If you don't want it to be discussed, then don't bring it up as a supportive argument. oO

My point isn't that hey you can't call me biased because you're just as biased as I am. My point is that hey you're biased because of a), b), and c).

You just did...?

I had a feeling this could be brought up and should've changed the word. Read "more or less", "rather", "pretty", "somewhat", or another moderating adjective.

Then this was moreso an argument that basically says that it's kind of hypocritical to call me heavily biased when you are also biased on your own throughout most of this discussion.

I don't give the candidates equal coverage, but I don't think I'm biased by ignoring your points. My issue with your bias isn't that you need to talk more or less about Bernie Sanders, but that I don't think you've sufficiently addressed my rebuttals and therefore haven't considered all of the points when it comes to a specific issue (because I raise points that you don't raise).

I feel it's kinda circular when this discussion amounts to "YOURE being biased", "no YOURE being biased", "no, clearly im being objective and clear, you're just being unobjective and unreasonable".

I think we are using "bias" in different senses. I brought this up first and meant to refer to how certain factors were being ignored when you make your judgements and how attempts to point out the ignoring remain unaddressed. From what I understand, and that's just how I understand it at the moment, you felt that you were not as biased as I said you were because you had given Sanders praise and thus adequate acknowledgement of his efforts/accomplishment/race etc. You also said that I wasn't being objective because I had little or nothing good to say about Clinton, and I addressed that by more extensively explaining my views about her in my previous post.

I don't think the discussion is actually circular - we were talking about two different ways of the same idea. I hope my more in-depth discussion about Clinton addresses your concerns for bias on my part, and I hope you address more fully (and don't worry I'm not saying you haven't addressed any of my points - I got some of that) my rebuttals and the factors you haven't so far considered.

If you made your points with politeness instead of snark and being condescending, then we'd be going somewhere. Of course, according to your earlier quote, I'm not sure if that seems to be something that you're willing to take into account. This isn't shade, this is genuine concern.

---

Last point I'm going to make: Kanzler, if there's one thing I really dislike, it's people misinterpreting my posts or presenting them as something that they're not. If something I'm saying is unclear, you ask for clarity in a polite/nice way. That's not hard in the slightest. I understand that I can word my points and arguments in a rather vague or unclear way; after all, I'm not exactly the best at articulation by any means. But this doesn't mean anyone should have to jump at me and make preemptive judgments or read too much into what I'm saying. All that's going to do is create unnecessary conflict because of simple misunderstandings.

I get that, and I don't want to make this go any longer, but don't you think that elaborating more clearly is something you do regardless of how the other person behaves? Personally, I try my best to be articulate and be clear and give structured arguments without any condition as to what the other person does. I might only be able to meet the other person half way, but I'm going all the way on my part.

That being said, another thing should be made clear, that I feel should be ignored throughout my previous post about Bernie Sanders: whether he chooses to conceded after the D.C primary or whether he concedes after the convention is yes, ultimately up to his choice. However, I feel that timing of when he concedes is important here. It's pretty hard to ignore that that tensions are high between Clinton supporters and Sanders supporters, because the latter feels like they've been wronged by the system and blame the former unreasonably for doing the such. I mean for goodness sake, there are entire Facebook groups dedicated to either writing Sanders' name in, voting Trump (which would go against what Sanders stood for in the first place) or just voting Green party or staying home. This is precisely why I believe it's logical and reasonable for Sanders to concede early so he can utilize his influential position and convince his supporters that we should all work together and unite against the GOP's nominee (which he seems to have done today by the link that you posted, but it still doesn't really make sense that he's still fighting to the convention despite this).

Kind of responded to this earlier, but conceding before the DNC delivers more concrete commitments would undermine his influential position. I don't think Bernie Sanders' integrity and his reputation as a passionate, principled politician is unassailable. I'm closer to the Sanders crowd than you are, and I'd feel a bit betrayed if he dropped out right now (especially since he vowed not to already).

With all of that explained, I hope that, even if you cannot respond to this humongous, gigantic, 27,000+ character post taking your recent posts, sentence by sentence and responding to them with reasoning and my own positions, that you be able to understand my positions even to some degree and why I make the arguments that I do. It's just that Sanders' recent actions has left me cynical when he could've avoided those actions entirely which gained him a good amount of negative media attention.

and the rest

I don't think you should be so cynical because of Sanders' recent actions, because in short they're to be expected. He has expectations to uphold from his supporters, and he needs to continue to sufficiently uphold those expectations if we want his supporters to transfer their allegiance to Clinton. If he can't uphold those expectations, then he loses, Clinton loses, and nobody wins.

He might have a lot of negative attention on mainstream media, but people who put a lot of faith in that tend to be the people who didn't vote for him in the first place. It doesn't really affect the people who really support him. I'm making this argument because I have the feeling that you didn't consider these factors when you made that initial judgement.

Reactions: Nah

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
  • Oh yeah, I was hoping that you could elaborate? Trump supporters are a bit of a rarity in this thread and it'd be interesting at least to hear someone (who's not your stereotypical right-wing nut) explain why they think that Trump is the US's best option of the 3 right now.

For a lot of people he's not going to be the "best candidate" But I think he is going to be the best candidate for the average person over the long run.

Given the policies, past actions and speeches I've heard from all the people bidding for this race it's apparent to me that Trump is the only one who really understand where a lot of underlying economic problems are. Namely debt and the mismanagement of the economy by the federal reserve. And even then he's not fully tackling the roots of these issues, he's just going at least somewhat in the right direction.

If you read a lot of the raw economic data put out by various institutions then you're gonna start seeing some bad signs... but you don't even need to do that. Anyone who has a pair of eyeballs can see how badly the average American is hurting at the moment, it's become this weird perpetual groundhog day of endless stagnation while we creep closer to our graves. Folks aren't getting any younger and are largely unable to progress.

Only the highly intelligent are able to turn drastic times like these around in their favors, but that's not the majority of folk, the majority of people don't like taking serious risks because it could go badly, and that's what I want to avoid. I want to avoid the majority of people being plunged into even greater hardships thus there needs to be thriving industrial sectors and otherwise that allow your folk of average ability to earn a steady wage and provide well for a family.

And even then he's not going to be able to stop the tidal wave of hardships that's already breaching the shores of the US. There's a lot of data that show the US is already back into another recession.

Beyond that, he's going to be the candidate that's the most helpful for minorities in the US because massive influxes of foreigners, especially illegal foreigners aren't good for the groups in the US that have less economic mobility.

He's also the person who brought the issue of illegal immigration to the forefront of the political landscape. I'm an Anarcho Capitalist myself, but if you're going to have a welfare system to any degree at all then you need strict border control because otherwise you get a displacement of the native population by economic migrants who have a hefty incentive to squat on benefits.

For most people - you'd be out of your mind not to take free stuff that's offered to you, but it's pushing the strain on the dwindling productive sector of the US to a breaking point. And if there is a meltdown then there needs to be an ability for the US to reign in immigration and to cut benefits while lowering taxes. I'm not even saying Trump will do this, but I think his history shows he's the most likely to enact some of these policies which will give the middle and lower classes some breathing room to recover in a time of oncoming hardship.

Otherwise, things are going to be fairly grim. When cornered people will fight rather viciously, and if these tough issues aren't acknowledged and dealt with them it's going to cause a hard collapse and I don't expect most people to take a reduction in benefits in stride.

Basically, we just need more people who might look the average voter or citizen in the eye and say "Folks, we've been living beyond our means for quite some time. We're well past our due date on our bills and yes it sucks to confront it but if we put it off any longer there may be no recovery. And it's not fair, we can't sell the rights we've inherited nor the futures of our children for an easy compromise in the moment, it's just not an option."

Also, I'm just curious but, how would you classify someone as a left-wing nut?

Reactions: Nah
    Back