• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 3 on 3 BATTLES!!!!

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
Years
  • :shocked: don't throw it! it doesn't feel anything, only you!!!
    It gets the stress out... Meditation is rather useless in pokemon battles. ;D

Also, I find that the idea maybe a last ditch attempt, grasping at straws, to make the series more action oriented and not get dull.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    3 Way Battles would be Epic.
    I'm just tired of having to change Pokemon during Double battles to fit what I need for Super Effective hits.

I Like to Battle where I know I'm going to Dominate. ^_^
    Especially when I have pokemon thats around there level, Since I Don't Grind enough.

YanmegaLv55

Raising the dead, one by one.
    Years
  • This will be a revolution.
    Seeming 2 is a 3rd of 6, the number of Pokemon in a party max, then.....9 Pokemon party?

Seems Possible :)

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • If they've actually changed party size to 3, like that rumour suggested, this could be interesting. Very interesting.

It would cause a lot of ruckus from all the cry-babies, but would be interesting nonetheless.

Accept change, bros, otherwise we'll be playing the same thing for decades to come.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • If they've actually changed party size to 3, like that rumour suggested, this could be interesting. Very interesting.

It would cause a lot of ruckus from all the cry-babies, but would be interesting nonetheless.

Accept change, bros, otherwise we'll be playing the same thing for decades to come.
    decreasing the party doesn't sound like a good idea to me, as there will be less variation in one's team, it'd also probably mean that almost every trainer in the game will have the maximum amount of pokemon.

I do like the sound of 3 vs 3 battles, however.

ELVISTHEGUY

i suck at double team battles what will i do in trio battles run?

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • I guess that could be interesting, but it kind of sucks when 2 pokemon in a double team gang up on one of your pokemon, so that could be even worse in a triple battle.

Oh well..... *sends out legendary bird trio* :P

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I'm thinking triple battles will be a good thing. But now that we're on triple battles, I get the feeling that either that will be the end of it, no quadruple battles, etc., or this generation will allow us to have any number of Pokemon at the same time.

Maybe during the story they could limit the battles to three, but once your done and you just want to play around, you have the option to have full 6 on 6 battles with your friends. I think it could be fun, just as long as it is not a major part of the game. People will probably still stick to single battles as the main battle type, either way.

I've never played Final Fantasy or Golden Sun, but this kind of reminds me of those kinds of RPGs. Don't they have battles like that? Does anyone else get that feeling?

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
    Years
  • I think it will be kinda fun, but yet as somebody said there will be less EXP.

I REALLY WANT TO SE THIS IN ACTION!!!! :p

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I've never played Final Fantasy or Golden Sun, but this kind of reminds me of those kinds of RPGs. Don't they have battles like that? Does anyone else get that feeling?
    That's what others have been noticed. In several Final Fantasies, the amount of characters in your party under your control is four. Some have three. That's how it is in a lot of RPGs, so this is nothing new.

I did like the idea of 3-on-3 battles (because all-out war is not far behind!) but now that I think things over more, it could get messy. Double-battles make sense, because two Pokemon can easily support one another. But unless there are new [support] attacks that range to three Pokemon, strategies could get rather difficult. Can't wait to see how it will actually work.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah... I dislike keeping track of it...

Double battles is simple, you know, a trainer can command 2 pokemon...but 3? I know it's a magic number, but....too many chefs spoil the broth. one can make a mistake, his friend corrects it, but if a 3rd chef comes along, he might ruin it....

I thought Spectrobes had it enough with your player AND 2 spectrobes....3 pokemon though....uggh....I'll only do the battles for the experience. If I don't simply wait for 3rd version/ RSE remakes...

MrGhost

Spooky Scary~
    Years
  • I gotta say, this idea does not intrigue me.
    3v3 battles sound like they'll end up being far too chaotic for any strategy to be involved. Although the idea would be lovely for a pokemon spin-off brawler game, I think 3v3 for the canon pokemon games is simply jumping the shark.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • It just proves how gamefreak is out of GOOD ideas. I mean triple battles, man is that original o_O! Of course it would be kinda cool to see your one pokemon (if other fainted I mean) pawn three pokemon at the same time!!
    But in my opinion best thing they should have done is to improve battle animations so when you use, I don't know a scratch for example, you acctually see pokemon scratching the opponent. Now THAT would be cool!

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I happen to agree with the naysayers. 3v3 battles will be a huge headache because ALL BETS ARE OFF when it comes to strategy due to the extra Pokemon you now have to command. That being said, I think double battles are enough of a pain due to field effect moves that damage EVERYONE on the field, like Surf, Earthquake and such. (These moves are powerful for sweeping, you'd think Nintendo would make it so that you can't hurt your 2nd Pokemon with that move)

Not to mention, even if we see new moves for 3v3, chances are there will be some annoying stat modifier move that affects the entire field. (Seriously moves like Growl, Grasswhistle or Sing could possibly be reworked to put the entire field to sleep. Toxic could easily work out the same way, causing an even larger headache when it comes to strategy, because nothing works quite as well again.)

This isn't even taking into account the moves that already cover the whole field like Surf and Earthquake. These moves would become even more useless unless both your allies are immune to them somehow. (it's hard enough to plot an airtight doubles team when you're taking this into consideration because you either give up strong moves for a weaker one because it doesn't affect everyone, or you end up diluting your team to one common type which means you now have a huge Achilles Heel)

Strikit

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I'm not at all a fan of this. I'm not a fan of much at all in Gen V. The starters look ridiculous, and only the white legendary wtfe his name is looks okay. And what's all this about Zorua being an event only Pokemon? That's not even funny. I was seriously looking forward to it.

Looks to me like there's going to be a lot of hacking and cheating. I usually don't cheat, I don't use codes. But if I can't get a Zorua any other way then I will.

But back to triple battles. They're a somewhat ridiculous idea. As others have said, that's going to be far too much text. I'm impatient with text as it is. Though, I would gladly use a triple team of Ninetales [Confuse Ray, Will-O-Wisp, Flamethrower, and Overheat with a white herb], Vaporeon [Surf, Ice Beam, Acid Armor, and Rest with any berry that cures sleep], and Raichu [Thunder, Double Team, Thunder Wave, and Rain Dance with Lax Incense]. They would be fairly killer. Vaporeon is almost unbeatable unless you have a type advantage anyway, but with Ninetales to incapacitate a Pokemon with Confuse Ray, Raichu to paralyze it, and its ability to stay out of the rain of fire with Double Team, Vaporeon would be just as awesome as the other three would be.

...okay. Now I have to see how that would look in battle.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    this idea, just sounds like a feature they made out of desperation just so it can be "new and fresh innovative gameplay".
    can you imagine how time consuming it will feel, having to select moves for each pokemon in one turn, and what if you try to heal and heal the wrong one because you thought it was something else?

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
    Years
  • People will do what every they can to get Zorua. I love to play the games but i love to play fair. I only look at cheats when ever i finish the game so i can have a little more fun.

3-on-3 is kinda a call of desperation but it is still kinda cool!

Back