• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Pikachu Out, Greninja In As Most Popular Pokémon in Japan

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
greninja-1024x576.jpg

Greninja wins the general popularity election in anticipation of the newest Pokémon movie.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Was just chatting with bobandbill about this, I reckon a big part of why Greninja won was because people wanted the Ash/Greninja form as an event. I am quite surprised that Lucario didn't make the Top 10 though.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
Years
Well, I mean.... I've jumped on the Greninja boat because of the anime lately myself, sooo.. I can't say anything. I do still really like Pikachu, and I think it'll always be the cute mascot, but just because it's the mascot doesn't mean that it has to be the most popular. Most of my life I've heard most people say they didn't much care for Pikachu, so to me this isn't much different. Of course most of the fans are gonna prefer some of the cooler mons. I actually didn't realize that Pikachu ranked even that high in Japan. It probably wouldn't be in the same here in the US. :/

I think it's cool that Greninja is so well liked, though, it's been awhile since a starter was so popular.

The last time was probably Charizard.

Years
This was unsurprising because Ash Greninja has been a Pokemon people want to see obtainable in the games at some point and there's something about its design that has a huge appeal in Japan, because you know, ninjas appeal well to the Japanese.

Pikachu may still be the mascot, but that doesn't mean it has to be the most popular. Greninja was a breakout Pokemon of 6th Gen, holding popularity levels that hadn't been seen in a starter since Charizard (and to a lesser extent, Blaziken).

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Wait, Greninja won the Pokémon Election? Better nerf Greninja!

At least this would solidify Greninja's return in the next Smash Bros. title, assuming Mewtwo's getting cut again to make room for an 8th gen Pokémon. Still I can't help but feel that Greninja winning the election would all be in vain, because there are no data files for Ash-Greninja, which was the sole purpose on why it won, in the Gen VI games, so these kids won't be able to get that cool forme in their XY and ORAS copies.

Years
I feel bad for Simisear... it has a lot of potential :(

But in all seriousness I'm surprised Arceus came second, it's the God Pokemon and all but seeing as we're already getting a distribution of it in August there wasn't really a need to vote for it and I've never really considered it that popular. Also a special Ash-Greninja form would be really cool but also very unlikely. Maybe someday guys...

Years
Wait, Greninja won the Pokémon Election? Better nerf Greninja!

At least this would solidify Greninja's return in the next Smash Bros. title, assuming Mewtwo's getting cut again to make room for an 8th gen Pokémon. Still I can't help but feel that Greninja winning the election would all be in vain, because there are no data files for Ash-Greninja, which was the sole purpose on why it won, in the Gen VI games, so these kids won't be able to get that cool forme in their XY and ORAS copies.

You know, there could be a coding for Ash Greninja in Sun & Moon but otherwise I think it's a form that won't leave the anime.

blue

gucci
Years
I personally feel that there are other Pokemon more deserving of that title if I'm honest. I get that everyone has their own opinion, but I wouldn't have predicted Greninja to place first when facing up against so many other great Pokemon. I'll admit Greninja has got a pretty cool design, though I would have thought Lucario or Pikachu to take the first place spot.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
Years
Well it's not really a big surprise. They've been promoting Greninja a lot (its addition in Smash and its apparent huge role in the anime with its new Ash-Greninja form).

The anime probably plays the biggest role, that has to be the reason why Zygarde is so high on the list while all it did in the game was just sitting there in a cave doing nothing.

Now the biggest question is... how did Magnemite get the 24th spot?

User Anon 1848

I really hope this doesn't lead to Ash-Greninja making it into the games.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I have to ask since I'm way out of the loop on this... but what is "Ash-Greninja"? Is it just a different looking Greninja or does it have unique stats or a special move pool or something?

User Anon 1848

It's a form of Greninja where it fuses with Ash. Thankfully it's only appeared in the anime so far and I hope to god it stays that way.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
It's a form of Greninja where it fuses with Ash.

...lolwut...
So not only are pokemon digimon now (megas), but now they are pulling off Dragon Ball Z techniques... lol I feel a bit reluctant to have fallen out of the main franchise when I did.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Winning #1 in popularity is a slight surprise. I watched a clip of Ash's battle with Wulfric and I admit I'm impressed with Greninja. It can't top the ancestor of Pokemon nor the god of Pokemon, though. :P

I wouldn't say fusion, but that they are synchronized to the point where in a pinch, Greninja gains a surge of power and 'transforms' its appearance slightly to gain some physical aspects from Ash's appearance. Greninja's stomach mimics the design of Ash's jacket and Greninja's head mostly mimics slight black hair/edges and also the z shaped lines on Ash's cheeks. It's interesting how a companion changes when they're a lot of trust. Wish my cats would be polite like me and not jump on the stove while I'm cooking.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I don't even like Greninja that much... But I'm not surprised that Simisear is on the bottom of the list lol

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
I reckon a big part of why Greninja won was because people wanted the Ash/Greninja form as an event.
This, Ash/Greninja form in anime has given Greninja a big popularity boost.

Btw, you should add "in Japan" to the end of title because the contest was only for Japanese. Now it's like a clickbait because it implies that the contest was worldwide and therefore makes people click it easier.

Back