• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Pokémon Home(less): a truly baffling decision

bobandbill

one more time
Years
My vent, or rant, on the news about Home only being able to send Galar Dex pokes to Sword and Shield. Let me know your thoughts. Got me somewhat bummed, despite the neat stuff we saw today including more new Pokemon. =/

------------------

Update: latest response on the topic (also in the article):
Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pokémon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pokémon cannot be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pokémon.

Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pokémon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pokémon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pokémon is not available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.

The world of Pokémon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pokémon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I don't even want to get too attached to any of the new Pokémon now because they'll likely get the can in the next games and I won't be able to transfer them up either. There is absolutely no positive to this choice as balance was never a factor in Pokémon games and they're using old 3D models for the older Pokémon anyways.

Years
All I have to say is that I would rather play a delayed game that the programmers took their time to perfect rather than a rushed, incomplete game that's only released for the sake of meeting release schedules. I don't know if a Japanese company would know or even care about outcries from westerners so much as they would from Japanese players, but I do hope this serves as a wakeup call for Game Freak that this is not a good decision to make for the long run at all.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I just realized perhaps the key factor in all of this: the distinction between Bank and Home. In your previous article, The Pros and Cons of Pokémon Home, I mentioned in the comments that for people who wanted to continue to play older games and then transfer their Pokémon up, they'd need to keep both Bank and Home, which could potentially double fees (or more, depending on the yearly cost of Home) for those players. But now, keeping and playing on older games is a necessity, because not all older Pokémon can be moved up. For anyone who wants to keep a use for their old Pokémon while also getting Sword or Shield, they'll have to take the plunge and get Home while also continuing Bank services. Unless you're okay with dumping your Pokémon into Home and potentially never having them see the light of day again, players will need both Home and Bank and will need to be very picky about what they transfer (I can also imagine this backfiring majorly when players who aren't aware of this news think they can freely transfer everything into gen 8 like they could in generations prior).

All I have to say is that I would rather play a delayed game that the programmers took their time to perfect rather than a rushed, incomplete game that's only released for the sake of meeting release schedules. I don't know if a Japanese company would know or even care about outcries from westerners so much as they would from Japanese players, but I do hope this serves as a wakeup call for Game Freak that this is not a good decision to make for the long run at all.
Japanese players have been just as outraged, at least on Twitter and various discussion boards. I definitely agree that I'd much rather the game be delayed, but I do worry that if this really is a business move disguised as something more "genuine" (as none of their reasoning I felt justified this choice at all) they may never go back on it unless sales are negatively impacted enough.

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
Unless you're okay with dumping your Pokémon into Home and potentially never having them see the light of day again

This is exactly why I expect either a backpedal or an update insinuating that they just meant not yet. You can't, and have never been able to transfer backwards, we know that, they know that, we've always known that, it wouldn't make sense to be able to, so why would they even allow for the ability to transfer from Bank to Home if it wouldn't eventually allow all your mons? Because once you do, you can't get them back, and they're trapped in limbo if that's the case.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
This is exactly why I expect either a backpedal or an update insinuating that they just meant not yet. You can't, and have never been able to transfer backwards, we know that, they know that, we've always known that, it wouldn't make sense to be able to, so why would they even allow for the ability to transfer from Bank to Home if it wouldn't eventually allow all your mons? Because once you do, you can't get them back, and they're trapped in limbo if that's the case.

But "eventually" doesn't help this situation. "Eventually" could mean that we get gen 4 remakes next where all gen 4 Pokémon are allowed, but not all other Pokémon. Or it could mean we get a third version which allows a few extra Pokémon but some are still left out. There's absolutely going to be an "eventually" for every Pokémon, but it's not guaranteed it will be for all of them in one game, and that's the core issue. Every game should accommodate for every Pokémon, even if only through transfer, and while you believe they will remedy this (and I do hope you're right) the way it was worded sounded like that wasn't going to be the case, not only for Sword and Shield but for all games moving forward.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I see the points made in the article, and I understand people's frustrations with this news.

Personally, it doesn't affect me. I've never been one to get too attached to my Pokemon from game to game. Sure, I am proud of the work I've put into training them, but I don't have any desire to keep them with me through generations. For me, it's all about exploring the region and building a new team as you progress. Whatever happens, as long as Game Freak creates an immersive and compelling world for me to travel through, I'll be happy. I was happy with the 300 Pokemon we got for USUM. If we get another cast of 300 Pokemon in these games, I'll be happy.

It was kind of a huge jebait after the announcement of Pokemon Home. Pretty sure everyone (including myself) assumed that Home meant we could transfer 'mons from gens 7, and earlier, to gen 8. So that was poor delivery from Game Freak for sure.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2019
I am very disappointed with this decision. The aspect that I enjoyed the most in playing the series over the years was collecting Pokemon. I take great pride in the virtual collection I have amassed over the years. I remember completing my very first National Pokedex, it was in Pokemon Platinum. Back then I was just in middle school, so it was very difficult to find other people who play Pokemon. I have every single Pokemon except for one. Electivire. Do you guys remember how difficult it was to obtain an Electivire without hacking? To evolve an electabuzz you needed an electrizer, but to get an electrizer in Platinum, I think you needed either FireRed or LeafGreen. I didn't have those games and I was in middle school, so it wasn't like I had the money to buy those games. And if I do end up getting my hands on an Electrizer, how will trade with someone if I was the only who played Pokemon in middle school? Long story short it was very difficult to get an Electabuzz those days. But I still got one. How? Remember GTS? I used to offer random pokemons for an Electabuzz. I was hoping that eventually, someone would be nice enough to trade me an electabuzz with an Electrizer. One day, I checked my GTS. I received an Electabuzz, but I couldn't believe what happened next, it was evolving. After months and months of offering random low leveled Pokemons someone traded me an Electabuzz with an electrizer. Thinking back, that was probably an act of kindness from someone. Why would anyone take a low leveled pokemon (probably a bidoof) for an electabuzz with an electrizer?
This is why this decision is tough for me to take. I don't simply have an attachment for that Electivire, but for every single Pokemon I have had, one way or another hard work and childhood perseverance was mixed into them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 3, 2021
What happened to the good old national dex?? When it was not there in gen 7 games I thought it was a one off thing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 14, 2020
Whilst I personally don't care, it was obvious this decision was going to anger a bunch of people. Really stupid.

Years
A truly baffling decision indeed!

They know this is a key issue people care about every time a new generation is released so it seems highly illogical on their part to go this way. Part of me wonders if there is some kind of tactical scheming going on in the background in the name of profit. Announce this now, wait for outcry, and later have an announcement saying they have listened to fans and will be making changes but it will have to come at an extra cost. Fans will feel relief instead of rage if they do it that way maybe? I don't know, it just doesn't make sense for them to have made this kind of decision.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 16, 2022
I mean I'm not overly happy about this news but it was cool when XY and SM first came out and we were limited to what Pokemon we could use which lead to some really interesting Pokemon in the meta scene of competitive battling so there's that to look forward to I guess.
I only ever really play the main story and post-game and generally use Pokemon available to me, I've never wanted to use my favorites on my team, so I'm not that bothered. I'm sure they'll release them all eventually via a patch, or have them from the get-go in a follow up title.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
Years
I'll start by saying that I could expect a decision like this one in a future generation, but the elephant in the room here is that the reason why I'd have expected it in the first place isn't here. Game Freak are not having to make new detailed models for each Pokémon that will need lots of work. Everything in the graphics department we've seen so far makes me think this is a polished 3DS game with a better UI slapped on top of it, and the Pokémon models are no exception.

I'm not going to be personally involved with this as I haven't transferred Pokémon cross-generationally since Gen 3 to DP and generally only ever use the Pokémon in a given game, but this is still disappointing for the future of the franchise. Who's assuring us they will rotate between the available Pokémon each generation or each new game? So far they've shown an awful lot of Gen I Pokémon in SwSh which goes against the rotation hypothesis, as this is coming right after a Gen I only game and two generations full of Gen I Pokémon and references. I kinda expect that they'll manage to rotate between the other generations and have the full set of Gen I Pokémon in each new game, which would be the worst thing they could do short of simply rebooting the franchise from the original 151 mons. This wouldn't even be justifiable with nostalgia as in a 23-year-old franchise people have started with different games and have nostalgia for different generations (but even then, I'd not want to have the same Pokémon available every single game), yet that's what they've been doing for years.

It's a shame that with Game Freak the post-launch support is among the worst of any gaming company out there. Their third version model would naturally have evolved into full-on expansions with new areas and story arcs, yet there's been nothing but bug fixes and third versions that have evolved... into a third version pair of all things. I really expect that SwSh will be locked with their regional dex forever, and for one of the biggest game franchises in history, to have this ridiculous lack of consideration towards the fans is as disappointing as it could get. I'd have justified this decision had SwSh shown more technical effort instead of looking like a polished 3DS game... but this is unjustifiable, this is not a small indie studio but the biggest second-party Nintendo franchise.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
When I heard about this yesterday I had misunderstood what the deal was. I had initially thought that it was just what happens literally every new game: that only some of the Pokemon are available, and then you have to transfer up the rest. Home not being compatible with Swsh on launch day is like how Bank wasn't compatible with XY and Sun/Moon on their launch days, but were a little later. So no big deal.

What I didn't realize at the time was that some Pokemon being unavailable is a permanent thing. Home will obviously be made to work with Swsh at some point shortly after release, but some Pokemon will be stuck in Home and not be able to be sent to Swsh at all, and future games will be like this too. I can probably live with it myself (although there's a few pokes I'd really like to keep transferring up), but it's not a great decision. Hopefully they did this knowing that it would be an unpopular decision and weren't like "this is a great idea that people will be totally happy with, what could go wrong lol?".

Though if this is going to be the case, I hope that post-game content focuses less on battle facilities from here on out. I'm not interested in having to breed new 'mons every generation to do the post-game stuff. But I suppose I should hope that there is a substantial post-game at all first though.

Years
I'm slightly disappointed by this news, but it's not the end of the world for me. I can kind of understand it as well considering how many Pokemon there are now. I wonder if all the complaints will be enough for them to fix this, even if they do so with a patch? It worked for Sonic's design in the new movie lol. xD

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Aug 8, 2019
This is exactly why I expect either a backpedal or an update insinuating that they just meant not yet.

…why would they even allow for the ability to transfer from Bank to Home if it wouldn't eventually allow all your mons? Because once you do, you can't get them back, and they're trapped in limbo if that's the case.

I hope and suspect it's gonna play out like "we meant not yet", but if they do that now, that really throws the interpreter under the bus because the tone and language of the English spoken were strikingly clear.

But "eventually" doesn't help this situation. "Eventually" could mean that we get gen 4 remakes next where all gen 4 Pokémon are allowed, but not all other Pokémon. Or it could mean we get a third version which allows a few extra Pokémon but some are still left out. There's absolutely going to be an "eventually" for every Pokémon, but it's not guaranteed it will be for all of them in one game, and that's the core issue. Every game should accommodate for every Pokémon, even if only through transfer, and while you believe they will remedy this (and I do hope you're right) the way it was worded sounded like that wasn't going to be the case, not only for Sword and Shield but for all games moving forward.

This definitely is what it sounded like, and they specifically said "a new direction". Though I'd argue this is less a "new direction" and more a betrayal of a cornerstone of the franchise's marketing and the beating heart of the brand's identity in Japan and the way Pokémon character goods are sold. We have been groomed to care about our digital pet collections. It's a major blow to the brand if they convince people who've bought into that for generations to now just think of their Pokémon as any other data. It really seems like it could devastate the merchandising, where the real money is.

What happened to the good old national dex?? When it was not there in gen 7 games I thought it was a one off thing.

I'm frustrated by all of this for a couple of reasons. One is obviously the frustration of not bringing mons I've "bonded with" forward. It's not just my personal feelings; the Pokémon Company and Game Freak have always marketed this aspect heavily, across all Pokémon media and experiences.

Secondly and more irritatingly, though, is something that's bothered me for a very long time. USUM was not just a "third (and fourth) game. It was the end of the DS/3DS era, and really the entire handheld history of Pokémon, which is the entire history of the main series. It was the swan song in a way that may be unique among games. With SM, there were already lots of special events, but then came the Year of Legendaries, plus Island Scan and Ultra Wormholes. Any active trader could have every Starter, every Legendary, many Mythicals. And with patience and commitment, lots of them might be shiny, too.

The breeding and IV/EV-viewing/customizing mechanics were streamlined a lot with Poké Pelago and Bottle Caps. If ever there was a time that even new Pokémon players might likely have a wide variety of beloved Pokémon, Gen 7 was it. And yet it never got a National Dex, so lots of the mons that might be in a Trainer's boxes will never appear in the Pokédex. That's even more insane when you think of all the Virtual Console releases that finally happened in Gen 7, and all of the event mon promotions with Pokémon Bank. It really felt like Bank was being presented as a "just pay $5 a year forever, and forever no worries" solution. It's not clear whether or not Home will be a paid service, though I assume it will be. It's kind of a hard sell now.

One more personal peeve for me is that the Pokédex 3D Pro was not free, and was still sold in the eShop during Gen 7, with no notice that Gens 6 and 7 were never included. As one of the most iconic series on the DS/3DS, it's pretty disappointing that nobody at either Nintendo or Game Freak insisted that the 3D Pro must poetically conclude with the last two games of Pokémon's handheld era.

This has bothered me for years, but now that it sounds like USUM is in fact the true end of complete cross-generational openness, a fact the marketing pushed with every event and VC release along with Pokémon Bank; it now feels more than frustrating. After being more excited with every new piece of information, even slowly opening my mind to Dynamax, this is more than disappointing.

It makes me sad.

I still want a National Dex (and a Diploma) for Gen 7. I still want Shiny Necrozma. I still want the Pokédex 3D Pro updated with Kalos and Alola. And I know that none of that is likely to happen, which makes the Treehouse announcement even more bitter.

I'm sad and bitter.

And I'm still excited about Galar, too. Go figure.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I was never a fan of Bank in the first place, and it's utilization in LGP/E and S/S is just doing more to reinforce that decision.

For all the hype it originally got for allowing for ease of cross-gen and cross-platform trading, it sure hasn't been living up to either of those expectations.

Edit - Going to expand a bit, but originally my fear was always that Bank was going in as a way to test the waters to monetized trading, specifically to directly monetize cross-gen trading. From what I've read Home is going to be how trading is done in SS (Even for two-way trading?), and well... As a cloud service, that builds upon bank, it's likely going to have a cost attached. So yeah... Not only has cross-gen trading been monetized, but it also looks like regular trading is monetized.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 14, 2022
This wasn't something I was hoping for, but I think it's a welcome change and something I hope continues in future games. Having a different selection of pokemon in each game makes each one unique, with it's own meta. Not to mention weeding out trash-tier mons like qwilfish and sunflora.
All the backlash seems, in a word, childish. After the wild area gave fans exactly what they were hoping for, to be unsatisfied with 500 returning pokemon is comically immature. It's not like catching them all was very glamorous in the first place. Can you really call it catching them all when you're just transferring mons you've already caught?

Last edited:
Years
#1TrubbishFan said:
Not to mention weeding out trash-tier mons like goldeen and ratatta.

Not the best example of Game Freak's ability to balance and weed out Pokémon not popular in the competitive scene, considering both the Rattata and Goldeen line were already shown to be in Sword & Shield.

Edit: Misremembered Rattata being in the game which has not been revealed thus far, but still holds true that GF hasn't been great at balancing with other arguably 'useless' mons in the meta that were shown (Hoothoot, Wingull, among others).

I wholeheartedly agree with the article and am disappointed they'd make this announcement so soon after all the talk about making memories with your Pokémon throughout past generations/systems. Can only hope my favorites will make it. For now, I'll abstain from shiny breeding in Ultra Sun.

Last edited:
Back