• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Umbreon's toxic origins

Umbreon’s toxic origins

Umbreon’s toxic origins

Umbreon had a different typing and evolution method back in the prototype of the second generation games!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
A Poison-type Umbreon can work defensively, but Dark was needed, since Psychic was horribly unbalanced and the other Dark-types, aside from Tyranitar (who was not in the beta) tend to be fast and frail.

Years
makes you really wonder if Game Freak are really ever going to plan to design a Poison-type Eevee at some point in the future, and what it'll really look like then.

Years
That would've been really cool, even if I do love Umby as a dark type. I think it makes sense that they retyped him in the end though, to balance out the psychic type. Already mentioned that they were pretty broken in gen I.

Cid

Years
I honestly want to know more about the Spaceworld Beta versions of every Gen 2 'mon. It's like discovering an alternate universe Johto, and the multiverse is already pretty well-defined as a thing in the Pokémon franchise.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
This is why I don't think it would be the best idea to make an Eeveelution for each type. A "Toxeon" would seem redundant given Umbreon's poison references.

Instead, I think it may be better to create new evolutions (or temporary forms) for the Eeveelutions, adding to them the unused types. Umbreon's evolution/form could be Dark/Poison, Vaporeon's Water/Dragon, Leafeon's Grass/Ground, etc.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
So this means the new eeveelution in generation 8 will be a posion type?

Also i hope Sw/Sh give us scrapped Red/Gold/Ruby pokemon, that puppy evolution of growlithe was so cute

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
Really want to see how a poison eevolution would be, but i have to agree with Sheep above. As Psychic type was ridiculously powerful at the time, Umbreon was definitely a good call

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Holy bump! But for good reason - the article is updated with new info recently discovered about Umbreon! Kinda wild that Game Freak originally intended Umbreon to be a slow, Special-Attacking nuke that you evolved by making Eevee hate you.

Years
duuuude that would've been such a good balanced introduction to the friendship mechanic. and it makes such perfect sense too. sad to see Gamefreak cancel it last minute, although understandable (can't have kids purposely mistreating pokemon! it could translate to irl animals, and oh boy the lawsuits involved with that...)

this does however really make me wanna see a future pokemon that evolves through minimal happiness. wanna be able to use bitter herbs and TM Frustration for once!

Back