• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5 years of The PokéCommunity

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I do believe congratulations are in order.

FINALLY, A GOOD FORUM THAT DOESN'T DIE!

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Spoiler:

Well I haven't been here for a LONG time, but w00t, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PC!

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    Happy birthaday PC. I hope you'll stay 5 more years^^. I never knew that this community ran on IconBoard o.O...but vBulletin is much better(And much more expensive...) But that's why we all love it...we can find freinds here and we all like Pokémon. So go on your way PC and sty as long as possible.

-Metroid P-

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Yay! 5 years! I am glad I've been able to be part of this outstanding forum! Since July 14th, 2005 until now, I am still as happy with PC.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Whoa, 5 already? Happy Birthday Poke Community! I've only been here a year (since September 19th, 2006... well, actually since July 6th, 2006 on my old account.) but what a year it's been. I've really enjoyed it here.

Have a happy birthday PC. :3

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Happy Belated Birthday PC! Wow five years...it has been around since 2002?! Dang, that is fast! I joined here in September 2004. So it was two years later. With all the crashes and things going on, it has made it halfway. And I am very glad to be part of the community. ^^

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    Well everybody, the community missed its official birthday due to some unforeseen downtime ([url-inline="showthread.php?t=111459"]read about it[/url-inline] if you like), so as it turns out, we gotta celebrate it a bit later.

A bit? This is five days later. In fact, five days ago, the community turned five years old.

I intended to write a lot more for this announcement, to be perfectly honest.

The community started a bit ago as an IkonBoard, and we had quite a few members around back then besides some of our administrators (Lightning was one of them!). During October 11 or around then, though, seems we wanted better. We had a vBulletin upgrade and we went to it! That's where some of this starts.

Our start may be better said by the recollection of our favourite community founder:

We basically made plans for what's known as our new era when the PokéCommunity frequently crashed, froze, wouldn't load at all (and haha, it's MUCH worse than is now). We needed a solution, because we found that the database was much beyond repair.

We gave ourself a fresh start in the middle of 2003. You can call it the "big PC refresh" or the "database restart". Or call it the start of the "new PC" if you never knew it. This replaced the "old PC", the one that veterans loathe (they desire that we be like staff were at this time, which basically is which they believe to be a fairer time [which I'll promptly deny]).

For the rest of 2003, and we've had a few problems - perhaps 2003 was one of our more active and participating of years. We saw an influx of new themes, dumped our old way of doing it, and PC opened up to not just having administrators make themes (I was an S-Mod when I first contributed to PC's themes!).

2004, and we suffer a few significant server issues. A few events are successful, a few flop. Mid-2004, we introduced the mildly successful and wildly controversial T-Dome. For your information, the T-Dome was opened to members ONLY if they turned thirteen, and contained a lot of mild content. Successful as it was, it was early in 2005 that it got out of hand and we were forced to shut it down due to the content that came from it. 2004 also saw "elections" - our noisiest of campaigns saw members entering and having members pick who should "represent" their community - of course, no staff permissions or anything was to be handed out. It was all just for fun.

2005 is probably a time some members don't want to recall. It was a controversial year that some of us would like to forget, and it saw some activity dips and rises. And then came elections again. Some time after, we dumped them. The release of Pokémon Emerald saw a moderate amount of chat.

2006 was a bit less exciting - some events come in, some ended flopped. We had a mass activity rush, though, thanks to the Japanese release of Diamond and Pearl. And, we had some activity during the 10th anniversary, as well. Perhaps we had stuff to look forward to. Unfortunately, there were a few major plagues - we suffered a few minor downtime issues throughout the entire year, but during mid-August, the community went down and up, and eventually, we were down for an entire month! Eventually, Kwesi came back (after a long, LONG absence) and helped get the lovely forum he founded back into positon. This became the start of something new? No, not really. Just a new (crap) server.

2007, and we had a bit of downtime due to the aforementioned crap server. After some funding, we eventually got a nice new server which we're running on now and we shouldn't have much issues in the near future (as explained in the post, our most recent downtime is due to a billing issye). Diamond and Pearl's release saw a lot of activity come to our community, and so we introduced the Diamond and Pearl Trading and Battling Wireless areas. This year isn't over yet, though, and so we don't know how it's going to end... yet.

So, welcome to anyone who just joined! Thanks for staying with the community to whoever has been here for a long time!

Thank you to everyone for being at our community for such a long time.

Because five years really is a long time.

Happy 5th birthday, PC!

lol, all the old stuff is kind of blurry minus the T-Dome and that whole fiasco.

That was a good place.

Albeit, I was a moron back then and was like 'LOL I H8 DEM GAYZ' (which I have long since apologized for then got pwn't by fate by turning out to be queer)

So, whatever. Good times, bad times, it's PC, it's been home for a long time.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
    Happy Birthday, PC!
    I haven't been on PC for awhile, but those must've been the good ol' days, eh, guys?
    Anyways, I hope it keeps on running forever more!

Back