• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

Decrescenda

Aroma Lady
    Years
    Nickname: Decrescenda, Velvet, Kabocha. . .
    Favourite Poke'mon: N/A, I often switch them around, but they're almost always Grass, Normal, Fairy, Bug, Ice or Water types.
    Reason for joining: I love grass types and this looks for an easy way to get more active.

Current topic:
    A female E4 inspired by Latino dancers that hits fast and strong, has a Roserade as a signature Poke'mon and likes to use Sword Dance+Petal Dance.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
    I'm new and I don't really understand how clubs work, but I can't miss a grass-type group!

Nickname: Tankenka
    Partner: Tropius
    Reason for joining: Always loved every grass-type pokémon, and it's hard to find people who prefer this undervalued type over all the others.

Current topic:
    I always waited for a grass-type elite four member, every gen, and it never arrived.
    I imagine a gentleman named Arboris, an adventurous professor researching flora in any remote and wild part of the world.
    He would use Victreebel, Ludicolo, Exeggutor, Tropius, Shiftry, and finally Ferrothorn.
    His room, a greenhouse where he would store, classify and grow some of his findings around the world.
    "Aren't plants beautiful? So fragile, yet so strong."

I was wondering if there was a grass club! (so many interesting discussions, too!)

Nickname: Oddy
    Grass-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Leafeon <3
    Reason for joining the club: I'm obsessed with grass type Pokemon! In my quest to complete the Pokedex, my goal is to have every single grass type available! I'm even doing a grass monotype play through on my next copy of Pokemon (it'll be Y). I love hatching grass type Pokemon and have a hard time choosing between Leafeon, Venusaur & Serperior as my ultimate favorites. Leafeon was the first Pokemon that had me really in awe of the design, but Venusaur is the most dependable of the bunch IMO. ... I could go on and on about Grass type and why I should join this club. lol.

Nickname: Decrescenda, Velvet, Kabocha. . .
    Favourite Poke'mon: N/A, I often switch them around, but they're almost always Grass, Normal, Fairy, Bug, Ice or Water types.
    Reason for joining: I love grass types and this looks for an easy way to get more active.

Current topic:
    A female E4 inspired by Latino dancers that hits fast and strong, has a Roserade as a signature Poke'mon and likes to use Sword Dance+Petal Dance.
    More people for the Club! Hello, hello~ Also, Decrescenda, I'm really digging your sig.;)

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Welcome to the Club. :)

Clubs are where anything on the subject of that club can be discussed. As an added bonus in this club, your Pokémon level up and even evolve as you post here. As Tropius does not yet have an evolution I have given you an extra Bulbasaur. :)

Tropius is a Pokémon I really like the design of. Whilst I have never took him to the Hall of Fame I did use him to help me win the Grass Type Tournament in White 2.

A Gentleman Grass Elite Four Member is a really nice idea and the team given has good type coverage. I'd imagine that Tropius would be his mode of transportation as well as used for battling. :)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Welcome. :)

I went out of my way to get the 'Grass Catcher Medel' in Unova, a great generation for Grass Types. I have owned every Grass-type at one point or another with the exception of Shaymin. Completing the Pokedex is a huge undertaking (I have only done it once in X). A Grass Type Dex sounds like a fun challenge. :)

I have completed a Grass Monotype of Y. My team was Vileplume, Chesnaught, Roserade, Abomasnow, Trevenant and Simisage. There is such an extensive Pokedex in Kalos that it is possible to create many types of team. :)

The one thing that always struck me about Leafeon is why wasn't it a Gen 1 Pokémon? I remember trying to get Eevee evolved into a Grass Type by using the Leaf Stone in Gen 1. Leafeon does have a great design and I plan to use it more in a future playthrough.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Welcome. :)

I have given you a Bulbasaur as your partner Pokémon. Let me know if you want a different Grass-type.

Roserade is a graceful yet dangerous Pokémon and fits as the Ace of a possible Elite Four Member.

Grass Type Pokémon are often affected by the Weather and some say Grass Types may be the type most affected by the weather.

Examples of this are numerous Grass Types having Chlorophyll as a potential ability as well as Solarbeam becoming a single turn move under strong sunlight.

Do you think Grass Types being strongly affected by the weather is a good thing and have you ever used this to your advantage?

Years
    Grass Type Pokémon are often affected by the Weather and some say Grass Types may be the type most affected by the weather.

Examples of this are numerous Grass Types having Chlorophyll as a potential ability as well as Solarbeam becoming a single turn move under strong sunlight.

Do you think Grass Types being strongly affected by the weather is a good thing and have you ever used this to your advantage?

I think that it is a good thing to have weather help out grass types even if it could be a dangerous strategy depending on whether the opposing team has a fire type on it. I personally have not used this sort of combo before but I would like to try out drought Ninetales and a chlorophyll Leafeon to see how it works.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years

Well, I've never really used the weather moves much, to be honest. Therefore, weather-involving Abilities have pretty much been overlooked, as have moves affected by the weather, such as Solar Beam. If I have the choice, I'll actually take Energy Ball over Solar Beam, simply because it still has a good amount of power, but doesn't require either a turn to charge or a turn to set up a Sunny Day. If we're talking about Solar Beam though, I do use intense sunlight + Solar Beam to my advantage with Primal Groudon, but this is only because its ability sets up the sunlight when it enters battle and I don't have to take the time to do it myself and use up one of the fours move slots for such a purpose. I prefer to hit fast and hard and take the opponent down quickly rather than set up situations like weather.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
    Hey guys, how's it going? I'm Tempest, and I would like to join your club, if possible. Here's my info:

Nickname: Tempest

Partner: Treecko

Reason for Joining: Ever since I picked up my first Pokemon game in 1st grade (almost 10 years ago!), I've always favored grass-type Pokemon and I've taken after studying them for quite a long time now. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever not chosen a grass-type starter, except for in Mystery Dungeon where I picked Pikachu and Squirtle as my characters.

Current Topic:

As a person that uses grass-type Pokemon a lot, I would say that weather's effects are pretty positive, for the most part. Obviously fog, hail, and sandstorms are not very good for grass-types, but if we're talking about sunlight, it holds some pretty significant perks. As you mentioned, Chlorophyll and Solar Beam are two things positively affected by sunlight. Another one that comes to mind is Cherrim's form change in strong sunlight. However, along with all of these perks, there are also drawbacks. Sunlight also increases the power of fire-type moves by 50%, and alongside grass' type-weakness to fire, it's not always a good tradeoff. That's personally why I don't tend to use sunlight's effects in strategic play.

Thanks for your time,
    Tempest

Last edited:

DarkestMidnight

Years
    By the way, I'm a huge fan of RWBY. I noticed a lot of people with RWBY stuff in their signatures and RWBY stuff as their profile pics. Shoutout to RWBY ^.^ I can't wait for Volume 4 and the Volume 3 soundtrack to come out!

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
    By the way, I'm a huge fan of RWBY. I noticed a lot of people with RWBY stuff in their signatures and RWBY stuff as their profile pics. Shoutout to RWBY ^.^ I can't wait for Volume 4 and the Volume 3 soundtrack to come out!
    You and me both, Tempest. And while I can't officially recruit members into the club, I don't see why you should end up not being accepted, so welcome!

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    Thanks everyone!

I also plan on trying a grass monotype challenge in omega ruby, the only one I still have to play. I think the third gen is a great one for grass types.

A Gentleman Grass Elite Four Member is a really nice idea and the team given has good type coverage. I'd imagine that Tropius would be his mode of transportation as well as used for battling. :)

That's exactly what I had in mind, along with Ludicolo for water areas.

Tried using sunlight for solarbeam, but it can be detrimental due to the fire's power increase. Instead I sometimes used it on houndoom, who had also learned solarbeam.

Anyway I used the rain for Ludicolo, it can have good effects!

Decrescenda

Aroma Lady
    Years
    Ah, I would rather have an Oddish, they're my favourite.

Anyways, I think that Grass types being affected heavily by weather is a great way to show their dependency and connection to nature, but I wish that Gamefreak would include more unusual plant-based Poke'mon based on mythical creatures such as the Leaf Man and elves. I think that's an idea that should be explored.

Killua

Not a big deal with the whole weather thing, and Solarbeam on Charizard Y is OP

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Welcome to the Club.

Treecko was my first ever Grass Starter (I chose the Water Starter in Gen 1 and 2) and my favourite Starter overall. During every playthrough of a Hoenn Game I choose the Wood Gecko Pokémon. He is an excellent Shiny form and I was overjoyed when I obtained a Shiny one in Wondertrade.

Even though Sceptile has a higher special attack stat he can also be used to good effect I found as a Physical Attacker. My Gen 5 PWT Sceptile is a Physical Attacker.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Gen 3 was indeed an excellent Gen for Grass Types with the aforementioned Treecko line, Ludicolo and his version Counterpart Shiftry as well as Cacturne which can be a lot of fun to use. Roselia was also introduced in Gen 3 but did not really stand out until it gets an evolution in Gen 4.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

That has been changed for you. :)

A Pokémon based on a Wood Elf sounds like an excellent idea. Shiftry seems to be based on a Tengu whilst Tangela's original name was said to be a corruption of Medusa although the likeness is only evident in its green shiny form.

Answer to Topic

On the whole I think it is a good thing that Grass Pokémon are affected by the weather. Solarbeam becoming a one turn move under the sun is very useful and I used a Sunny Day/Solarbeam combination in my recent Sinnoh Monotype.

Sunny Day also has the welcome effect of making Weather Ball (Which Roserade can learn by Heart Scale) into a Fire Type Move meaning that my Roserade could hit a lot of things super effectively, especially those normally tricky Steel Types that pop up everywhere in Sinnoh.

Weather Ball also becomes a Water Type Move under the rain and an Ice Type Move under Hail.

As far as I am aware the only Grass Type that has an auto weather bringing ability is Abomasnow. Whilst Hail is usually a poor weather choice for Grass Types her Ice attacks were able to take out the Flying types (As was Roserade's Ice Ball) and also defeated Cynthia's Garchomp despite the 4th Gen Dragon being 13 levels higher.

Overall weather effects can be very useful for Grass types.

girlslikegirls

gamer, book lover, geek-nerd extraordinar
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Step away from the forums a bit and there's a whole slew of new topics. Haha.

Regarding the signature moves, I'm really more of a physical fighter by nature. It's my go to style in all RPGs, and remains consistent throughout my gaming on Pokemon. I enjoy Leaf Blade a lot, but Grass Pledge is a close second. Petal Dance is one I use VERY often and I enjoy it's multi-target mode on my Bulba bb <3.

DarkestMidnight

Years
    [/spoiler]

Welcome to the Club.

Treecko was my first ever Grass Starter (I chose the Water Starter in Gen 1 and 2) and my favourite Starter overall. During every playthrough of a Hoenn Game I choose the Wood Gecko Pokémon. He is an excellent Shiny form and I was overjoyed when I obtained a Shiny one in Wondertrade.

Even though Sceptile has a higher special attack stat he can also be used to good effect I found as a Physical Attacker. My Gen 5 PWT Sceptile is a Physical Attacker.

[/spoiler]

Gen 3 was indeed an excellent Gen for Grass Types with the aforementioned Treecko line, Ludicolo and his version Counterpart Shiftry as well as Cacturne which can be a lot of fun to use. Roselia was also introduced in Gen 3 but did not really stand out until it gets an evolution in Gen 4.

[/spoiler]

That has been changed for you. :)

A Pokémon based on a Wood Elf sounds like an excellent idea. Shiftry seems to be based on a Tengu whilst Tangela's original name was said to be a corruption of Medusa although the likeness is only evident in its green shiny form.

Answer to Topic

On the whole I think it is a good thing that Grass Pokémon are affected by the weather. Solarbeam becoming a one turn move under the sun is very useful and I used a Sunny Day/Solarbeam combination in my recent Sinnoh Monotype.

Sunny Day also has the welcome effect of making Weather Ball (Which Roserade can learn by Heart Scale) into a Fire Type Move meaning that my Roserade could hit a lot of things super effectively, especially those normally tricky Steel Types that pop up everywhere in Sinnoh.

Weather Ball also becomes a Water Type Move under the rain and an Ice Type Move under Hail.

As far as I am aware the only Grass Type that has an auto weather bringing ability is Abomasnow. Whilst Hail is usually a poor weather choice for Grass Types her Ice attacks were able to take out the Flying types (As was Roserade's Ice Ball) and also defeated Cynthia's Garchomp despite the 4th Gen Dragon being 13 levels higher.

Overall weather effects can be very useful for Grass types.

Thanks! Also, regarding your answer to the current topic, I like the point you made about Weather Ball. I forgot about that completely, to be honest. With all of these abilities, moves, and strategies, I tend to forget or skip over things from time to time ^.^.

DarkestMidnight

Years
    I have a good idea for a new topic based on each of our individual experiences as trainers. I'm not sure if new members can post new topics, so if I can't do that, then just ignore this post.

Which starter is your favorite out of all of the ones you've had? Why is it special to you?

-Tempest ^.^

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Whilst Grass Pledge is a move I don't remember using too often, Petal Dance is a move I have used extensively and is my favourite Grass Type Move.

Whilst being locked into one move is often not ideal. Petal Dance is a very powerful move in-game. Indeed my favourite Pokemon is Lilligant and a combination of Petal Dance, Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance was very effective in the Unova PWT, with boosted Petal Dance even one hit KOing Jasmine's Skarmory. :)

Petal Dance is a similar move to Outrage. Incidentally Venusaur is able to learn both. (Petal Dance by Level up, Outrage by tutoring)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Weather Ball can only be learnt by a few Grass Types (Roserade by Heart Scale, Bellsprout and Celebi by breeding) but is a very useful move and made my Grass Monotypes a lot easier.

Members are allowed to create topics. I'll add your suggested topic as a side topic. :)

My favourite ever Grass Starter is Treecko. Not only is it the first ever Grass Starter I ever picked but he has served me well in every playthrough I have used him in. Sceptile can be used as either a Physical or Special Attacker which adds diversity to the way he can be used. I obtained a Treecko in Johto from Steven to import to my Gen 5 game.

Sceptile also became the first ever part Dragon Grass Type and whilst with the changes in Gen 6 Dragon typing is not what it was Grass/Dragon is still a very cool typing. I have both a regular and Shiny Sceptile.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    My first was Bulbasaur, but I must mention Treecko as well as my most memorable.
    I love having different types movesets, and the Sceptile I had in ruby had Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Crunch and Thunderpunch.

Must be mentioned that in ruby ALL grass, dragon, dark and electric moves were special, so sceptile was meant to be a special attacker with a strong special attack. In the next generation, all these 4 moves became physical, so I never moved him to diamond :/

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
    Haha, I'm sure all the older members are tired of hearing about this by now, but my favorite starter line is the Snivy line. Especially Serperior. It was the first Pokemon I ever got, giving me a sentimental attachment to the species, and I really love the design of all three, though the final is definitely my favorite. Serperior just looks so regal and amazing! Plus, I really love snakes.

girlslikegirls

gamer, book lover, geek-nerd extraordinar
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Haha, I'm sure all the older members are tired of hearing about this by now, but my favorite starter line is the Snivy line. Especially Serperior. It was the first Pokemon I ever got, giving me a sentimental attachment to the species, and I really love the design of all three, though the final is definitely my favorite. Serperior just looks so regal and amazing! Plus, I really love snakes.

When I discovered Snivy, Leafeon's spot as my favorite Pokemon quickly became threatened. The elegance of the design, each evolution, the way each form moves in X/Y. I just can't get enough. <3

My first starter was Finnikin, and although Yuu - as I named her - has a special place in my Pokedex Venasuar was the first Pokemon that I really enjoyed and came to depend on. Since my first play through of X, Bulba has been a great go to for me.

Back