• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A G/S Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I read all that, and all I can say is...

... I don't care how right you are, GSC was fun. It was a time in my life when I didn't look into things so much and I greatly enjoyed playing it.

Obviously a lot of people feel this way, because whether it deserves it or not it's hailed as "BEST GEN EVER" by almost all, so people will definitely buy it, even if it's just a graphics upgrade.
    (I personally like Hoenn, but w/e)

But this isn't a GSC good/bad debate, and quite frankly I don't think your post belongs here.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    To me, GSC was fun until you got to Kanto. The only thing fun about Kanto is the new Pokémon you were able to catch, and even then, you had to train them from the ground up.

The reason why I ranted in such a long post is because I have a strong disagreement with everyone trolling the polls in General with "JOHTO FTW" when I now have clearly explained every reason why it's the worst generation out of the four.

Will people buy it? Hell, I'd buy it. You can call me a hypocrite if you want, but if I get Gliscor and Ambipom, I could care less.

Frankly, my arguments aren't made to flame Game Freak. My arguments are made to put people who, in their delusions of grandeur, think Johto is the best region, in their proper place. Though it's the worst, easily, I'd like to see what Game Freak can do to improve on it. Even if I end up wasting my money (which is pretty much what I did with my Fire Red version ._.), at least I end up knowing how much Game Freak really tries to improve any mistakes they've made.

Because I've proven why I did it in the first place, I think I've justified the existence of my post. I don't like Johto all that much, and can't understand why people are hailing it as the best gen ever. It doesn't deserve a title, though that's entirely up to the opinion of the people who want this remake. Perhaps seeing their input will help me understand what gets people so hyped about it.

Because either I don't see it, or it's not there.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Hmm, Don has a point there, the only reason most people like it, is cause its the only one without a remake, hell if Kanto had been last to be remade, then it would be alot different...

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    To me, GSC was fun until you got to Kanto. The only thing fun about Kanto is the new Pokémon you were able to catch, and even then, you had to train them from the ground up.

The reason why I ranted in such a long post is because I have a strong disagreement with everyone trolling the polls in General with "JOHTO FTW" when I now have clearly explained every reason why it's the worst generation out of the four.

Will people buy it? Hell, I'd buy it. You can call me a hypocrite if you want, but if I get Gliscor and Ambipom, I could care less.

Frankly, my arguments aren't made to flame Game Freak. My arguments are made to put people who, in their delusions of grandeur, think Johto is the best region, in their proper place. Though it's the worst, easily, I'd like to see what Game Freak can do to improve on it. Even if I end up wasting my money (which is pretty much what I did with my Fire Red version ._.), at least I end up knowing how much Game Freak really tries to improve any mistakes they've made.

Because I've proven why I did it in the first place, I think I've justified the existence of my post. I don't like Johto all that much, and can't understand why people are hailing it as the best gen ever. It doesn't deserve a title, though that's entirely up to the opinion of the people who want this remake. Perhaps seeing their input will help me understand what gets people so hyped about it.

The reason I like Silver the most:

I was 10 when I got it as a Christmas gift. It was my first Pokemon game. I played the crap out of it. I had 150+ hours on it before I lost it. (everything is better when your 10)

I miss the radio.

In terms of exploring, it had the most to do. In Johto alone, you could explore Mt. Silver, Ice Cave, Dark Cave, (and the cave that you catch the lapras in) the Ruins, Tin Tower, Burnt Tower, The Whirlpool Islands. Don't forget about the bug Catching contest, the Lake of Rage, or your cell phone. Plus you still had to explore Kanto.

It just had more stuff to do than any other game I have come across.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ...whee for long posts! Rather negative one on GSC, but hey - different people do have differing opinions, and not everyone is going to agree one the one thing, much less a game. And as you said, it is to also show why you don't like it - and tbh I REALLY prefer such posts over the 'omg it sucked/it'll never happen' ones, as there's no reasoning behind them. One gets annoyed by those, as well as the 'this gen was teh bestest' people as well.

But, as I like discussing points... just the odd one or two...or several...:
    Besides that, the most powerful Pokémon is a Dragonite, which shouldn't even be there because it's level 50 and not 55.
    Meh, they've been inconsistent about that in other games. Take Colosseum and XD - there's a guy who uses a Level 50 Pikachu. In the following game, he's seen with one at 15. Many found this odd (my theory is it's another Pikachu though)... but that's besides the point - just felt like saying it's not the only case of changing levels. 'Cause I can. =P
    The difficulty curve of the game was made by a freaking two year-old. At least Kanto made it sort of hard if you picked the Fire-Type starter. (But most critics would argue Hoenn and Sinnoh were worshipping at the altar of Blaziken and Infernape respectively...which is true. However, my argument is that Game Freak should've realized their mistake at Johto instead of continuing to make it over again, and, especially in the case of Hoenn, much worse for the future generations)
    If you picked Chikorita as your starter, you were considered one with quite the gutspah, since no gym in Johto AT ALL favors picking it, it's the worst starter offensively, and unless you hop on the bandwagon that is Alakazam, you're starving for a support fighter that can help Chikorita stand on its own four legs and weather the assault of multiple resistances and having 3 of the 8 gyms--the first two being the game's first two gyms--score super-effective hits on it.
    ...hmm, it DOES seem that there is a way to give yourself some difficulty curve - chose Chikorita! It does make it harder to an extent, especially if you choose your team to make it hard. -_-
    A remake however I feel could avert this problem a bit - there's a chance that different/more Pokemon would be catchable, for one. Some of Johto's Pokemon could evolve into their new evolutions as well (like in FR/LG, one could use a Crobat). And generally, Pokemon's movesets have also improved quite decently.
    Leveling is an issue that it had, admittedly... but it IS possible that they change it too. They didn't in FR/LG, but one remake game set shouldn't be the end-all-or-be-all measuring stick for what a remake might be like, necessarily.
    Speaking of cross-generation evolutions, that's another thing that Johto horribly failed at, a
    problem that Sinnoh fixed quite nicely in my opinion; the overabundance of really mediocre, one-liners that had no use to anyone, were absurdly rare, and weren't worth the ridiculous effort put into them to add them to your team. Sinnoh gave much-needed evolutions to ugly ducklings like Gligar, Aipom, Yanma, Togetic, and others.
    Meh - every gen I've encountered people complaining about the Pokemon that came forth, and that Game Freak is running out of ideas, etc, etc. There's a number who hate the new evolutions the 4th gen offered up. But of course, that's up to opinion of players.

Compared to Red, Blue and Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal were incredibly mediocre. There was no real story like there was in RBY,
    Hmm, I'd disagree... Team Rocket in RBY made money with the Game Corner, and wanted a Master Ball for reasons unknown (and maybe control of Sliph Co, to make more money!) Not that great a story... GSC had an attempt of a revival from them - events at Lake of Rage being merely a test for what they planned to do in Radio Tower. Plus Crystal had an extra subplot involving Suicune. Again - something on opinion.
    EDIT: Johto's best selling point was brought up to me by a friend of mine. I will admit that Johto has the BEST soundtrack of ANY Pokémon game. However, a remake would likely only damage the game's legendary battle themes (though admittedly, hearing remakes of many of the themes piques my interest in a remake), which adds fuel to the fire of saying how bad a remake would be. =\
    How true - the music was fantastic. Goldenrod, Burnt Tower even... plus the Legendary themes (especially the legendary beats in Crystal). I'd say the music was the best out of them all, even piping Colosseum's music, which had Miror B's salsa music. Which is awesome. -_-

As to what makes GSC seem so great... hmm. Well, I don't think it was really just one thing, really... music was one, of course, but there were an awful lot of sidequests, for one ranging in size and hidden places to explore. The fact it had a second region is another - even with some annoying downsizing of routes and a lowered difficulty level, it was far more then, say, Sevii Islands, and gave something to those who played RBY as well to see how it changed and all. Hopefully, if a remake is made - it'll be improved upon - and there's no reason why it wouldn't. Even with a reduced region - looking at all the nooks and crannies Johto had, it really did have more to do then other regions as well, IMO.

Features such as the Pokegear (who DIDN'T like the radio?), and the introduction of reversing people via the phone... and the day-night feature, combined with daily events, or events that only happened on specific days are others. It was the first game to use such things, and clearly one of the most popular. It added, for me, a more 'real' feel to the Pokemon world, and a more enjoyable one. Many would agree, I'm sure. *glances at how people whinged about RSE's lack of it, and people's celebrations about it's return in DP*

It was, for it's time, quite a step up from RBY also, for many people, in many different ways, in short. Lost on minor additions here and there - breeding, shiny Pokemon, the challenge to catch all the Unown, even the (quietly used) introduction of berries... new ways to evolve Pokemon added is another minor feature - one of the many out there. There was, IMO a fair bit to do (even if a fair bit was easy, but one could also impose some difficulty on it - heck - for each Pokemon game ever made one can find challenge threads on forums (like Monotype ones, or a 'Scramble challenge) for assigned Pokemon one must use as a challenge to beat the game). I too liked many of the new Pokemon as well, contray to your opinion, but each to his/her own.

That might go some way to explaining why people liked it. -_- (Yay for quickly-typed long posts of my own).

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Ok i know that everyone is obliged to there own opinion and we cant do shat bout that but acually the reason most of us love jhoto and still do is basically cause its THE game that made us love pokemon. And thats the one reason why we all want a remake! Anyweh the remake of course will have remixed music no? Icant wait to see what they would do if they remixed the kanto leader music!

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I don't beleive it's the most liked because "it's the only one that hasn't been remade."
    ...People liked it more than RBY as soon as it came out, and liked it more than RSE after that generation came out. It certianly has nothing to do with age or if they've been remade.

Don, while I understand your point, it's not your place to tell other people what they think is the best generation.
    It's the best generation in their opinion, and the worst in yours, let it go.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    No What I'm saying Con is that, had GSC been already remade and Kanto hadn't for example, Kanto would be most peoples Fave Region

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    tl;dr is the phrase you're looking for; it means "too long; didn't read".
    Honestly, I don't blame you. It's a lot of hate to digest.

Of course they wouldn't follow the original. Nobody would buy it if that were the case; it'd be the same overdependent bucket of fail that the original was.

And sure, they can edit the Johto Dex, but I seriously doubt it, since FRLG didn't edit their Dex.

The levels of the Gyms will probably not be touched. There was little tampering done on FRLG (the only thing I can think of was Giovanni's Rhydon being devolved...), so I doubt there will be any actual level changes. :#
    I don't think you could compare GSDS to FRLG... But I respect your opinion...

I read all that, and all I can say is...

... I don't care how right you are, GSC was fun. It was a time in my life when I didn't look into things so much and I greatly enjoyed playing it.

Obviously a lot of people feel this way, because whether it deserves it or not it's hailed as "BEST GEN EVER" by almost all, so people will definitely buy it, even if it's just a graphics upgrade.
    (I personally like Hoenn, but w/e)

But this isn't a GSC good/bad debate, and quite frankly I don't think your post belongs here.
    I actually it does...
    No What I'm saying Con is that, had GSC been already remade and Kanto hadn't for example, Kanto would be most peoples Fave Region
    No one loves Kanto... Only Nintendo loves Kanto! =P
    I'll hate Kanto more if it appears again!
    It already appeared on 3 generations. I don't see any point for it appearing again, Don't tell me it's because the whitestone on Route 224, so it can have another appearance...

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I say kanto/jhoto will come back with epic music a whitestone area and nice graphics along with some kinda sweet sequel to dp-ish story! End of my postand all i can say and hope really.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    I don't beleive it's the most liked because "it's the only one that hasn't been remade."
    ...People liked it more than RBY as soon as it came out, and liked it more than RSE after that generation came out. It certianly has nothing to do with age or if they've been remade.

Don, while I understand your point, it's not your place to tell other people what they think is the best generation.
    It's the best generation in their opinion, and the worst in yours, let it go.

This is my opinion. I didn't shove it down people's throats, and I surely didn't expect everyone to be all gits and shiggles when they saw it, and expected roses to be thrown at my feet. I expected posts like yours, to be frank with you. They stir discussion, which is healthy in the long run for a topic of this nature.

I was one of the people who got into Pokémon when it was first released in RBY. There were elements that made me favor GSC, don't get me wrong, but let's face it; pretty much every mechanic added in between the generations has made the games better in the long run. (The physical-special split is one of many reasons I favor Sinnoh over all of the other regions.)

Yes, Johto was the worst in my opinion. It doesn't have to be everyone's opinion that Johto was the worst, but part of my post's goal was to get some insight as to why it was the best. A common reply has been "This was the first Pokémon game I got, and ever since, I've been addicted to it." That's a perfectly acceptable response, as I can agree wholeheartedly; Pokémon was all that and a bag of chips for me in RBY. Just...a lot of disappointing structure in the game caused me to frown on it when the future generations came out.

Every generation had its problem. I can argue even my favorite region, Sinnoh, is largely regarded as uninspired filller, but I could care less about that. Filler or not, the Pokémon in Sinnoh are awesome, and that's my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I'm not about to say anything to the contrary.

To be honest, replies like these are to defend my arguments only. They aren't to continue beating what you see as a dead horse.

If the Johto remake is made, I made it clear that I'll probably buy it anyways, for the sake of curiosity. I won't be pissed in the slighest...

My issue isn't how much I oppose a remake (which I really don't). My issue is, how can the general public be smitten with a region with so many flaws? It boggles me is all. :#

Blue Tomoshibi

Pokémon a go-go!
    Years
    I have to agree with Don, most of the Pokemon in Gen 2 did really suck. Don't get me wrong, I love their designs and all, but come on! I'm still waiting on a Dunsparce Evo!

Also after you get your respective Level 40 bird in G/S/C the game becomes cake after the elite 4. Sure you got Red to deal with, but I've seen someone take down his entire team with a level 100 Totodile for christs sake.

A G/S/C remake would be a nice trip down memory lane.(But it would remind me how old I am ^^;)

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Look Don, enough of your opinion. "Most" people love G/S/C and would like a remake for it.

With all evidences, I announce a G/S/C remake imminent. The case is closed.

Edit: I'd like to post my reasoning stating why it will be remade again. It has been missed by many. So here it is...

There is going to be a remake of G/S/C, specially Crystal. I'm pretty sure about it. Why?

Technical Evidences:
    1) The DSi is missing a GBA slot. This means you can probably no longer use Pal Park as a way to transfer pokemon.
    2) D/P and Platinum is only missing the trio Raikou/Entei/Suicune. A new game is the only way to obtain them now, since there is no Pal Park in DSi.
    3) D/P/P has internal data for pokemon received from johto. I've checked it myself. And no, it ain't for any movie or event, they never have it like that.
    4) A lot of in-game references to Johto.

Player's profit:
    1) Have you wondered why FFIV was remade for the DS? It's because many people have never played it. And if people have played it before, they still wanna play it. Same goes for G/S/C. It has a higher replay value than any other pokemon game in my opinion. You'll agree with me once you get the remake.
    2) It will give your nostalgia a great satisfaction.
    3) Many people want a remake.
    4) Many people haven't played it yet.

Nintendo's profit:
    1) This is the only game they haven't re-made yet. Do you know why they removed the GBA slot from the DSi? It's because it will compell you to buy this newer game in order to catch em' all.
    2) Think about it... Nintendo always creates three versions of the same game. Why? Because they know people will buy them still. It's the same here.
    3) Finally, Nintendo knows that many people haven't played it yet, and most people are mad for it. They know this game will sell more than any other Pokemon game in history. Thus, they are more confident. It will net them uncountable amounts of money.

I think that does it. If you want to add something, or think something is wrong here, then just post it so.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I say kanto/jhoto will come back with epic music a whitestone area and nice graphics along with some kinda sweet sequel to dp-ish story! End of my postand all i can say and hope really.
    Yeah, the speculation is... DM/PL/PT and G/S/C's timeline are the same (or close).

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    There has been nothing cooler than Fortree city as of yet.

And the route beforehand was actually fun to navigate.

And I could sit in my cozy little secret base during the raiiiiiiin.

F. Yeah raining!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Look Don, enough of your opinion. "Most" people love G/S/C and would like a remake for it.

With all evidences, I announce a G/S/C remake imminent. The case is closed.
    ...no, it isn't. Yes, there is all the evidence you posted. I am a huge pro-remake believer - I think it will happen. But it is not confimed as of yet, and may never will be. There's always that possibility, so don't jump around saying it's definately going to happen. -_-
    I have to agree with Don, most of the Pokemon in Gen 2 did really suck. Don't get me wrong, I love their designs and all, but come on! I'm still waiting on a Dunsparce Evo!
    What do you mean? Dunsparce are like, the best! :P
    But I fear they are destined to have a bad life... probably 'cause they're ugly. -_-
    Also after you get your respective Level 40 bird in G/S/C the game becomes cake after the elite 4. Sure you got Red to deal with, but I've seen someone take down his entire team with a level 100 Totodile for christs sake.
    Well, a Pokemon that's got EV's and is a good twenty levels higher is a good chance to sweep a team, even if unevolved. (Pikachu ain't hard, Venasure uses SolarBeam meaning two chances to Ice Punch/Ice Beam it... plus Totodile are awesome anyways. -_-).
    Hmm, and could it be hacked? Not many would train a Totodile to level 100, really... :/ I'm suspicious.
    There has been nothing cooler than Fortree city as of yet.
    Agate Village (another town of people living in trees) is better. =P

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Also, regarding Red, his pokemon are extremely weak all round, I beat his whole team with my lv77 Gyarados, and Pikachu even managed to get a T-Bolt in which did just over 50% damage.

Blue Tomoshibi

Pokémon a go-go!
    Years
    A Dunsparce Evo would make it a very usable Pokemon, currently it can run 404 HP and Serene Grace, not much going for it...

And the totodile thing was in a series of videos. It was a mono species run, so it wasn't hacked. ¬_¬

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back