• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Alfheim Online Challenge REVIVED

Syntthetix

[color=ddccec]Porygon Programmer[/color]
Years
WELCOME TO ALFHEIM ONLINE!​

Disclaimer
This challenge was originally created by galladetitan, but the challenge expired on Jan. 24, so I decided to revive it with the approval of the mods. Thanks a lot to galladetitan for coming up with this, I think it's an awesome concept as I'm a huge fan of the Sword Art Online anime/games.

BACKSTORY
After Argus went bankrupt due to the Sword Art Online incident, it's servers and data were taken by RCT Progress, Inc. and was used to create the VRMMORPG "Alfheim Online". Now, Alfheim Online is having a tie-in with Pokemon! The Pokemon you choose will be related to your chosen race. Hurry and join the event!

RULES
1. As a player of ALO, you must choose one of the 9 races of Alfheim:

The Cait Sith, the agile feline warriors that take advantage of their speed and enhanced vision to dash around their opponents at close range or snipe accurately from afar.

The Gnomes, buff, tanky, and always ready to fight on the front lines to protect their allies. While very slow and meant purely for close range, they boast huge HP bars and high defense stats.

The Imps, masters of the night who take advantage of their amazing night vision to use the darkness as their home battlefield.

The Leprechauns, a race of expert blacksmiths who make use of different man-made mechanisms to assist them in combat.

The Pooka, the amazing musicians of Alfheim, make use of their songs to attack enemies or support their allies.

The Salamanders, expert fighters and perhaps the race with the most pride embedded in its culture. They use fire based spells as well as pure strength to overpower their opponents in combat.

The Spriggans, experts of illusion magic and detection abilities, confuse their opponents with their illusions and seek out treasure better than any other race.

The Sylph, who are known to be the fastest race, especially in the air, make use of wind magic for minor support as well as great offense.

The Undine, true masters of healing and buffing magic, are the greatest swimmers in Alfheim and guaranteed to keep their allies fighting in a pinch.

To find out what race you are, take this test: https://www.quotev.com/quiz/6396573/What-ALfheim-Online-fairy-race-would-you-play-as
** EDIT ** If you aren't happy with the race determined by the quiz, you can always just pick the race you want. Either way, you'll still have a challenge.
Which race you are will determine the constraints of your playthrough, which is where the real challenge comes in.

Spoiler:

2. Legendary Pokemon are not allowed for the challenge.
3. At least one Pokemon on your team must learn the move Fly by HM (TM in Gen 7), regardless of the Pokemon's type.
4. All Pokemon on your team MUST meet the type requirements in their race, unless otherwise noted in a constraint. If you get Undine and you have a Starmie, which is a water/psychic type, that is still allowed since it meets the water or ice type requirement for an Undine.
5. No more than TWO Pokemon may be imported/traded/hacked into the game. When added, they must be the same level as the lowest level Pokemon on your team.
6. HM Slaves are allowed as long as they never fight.
7. When posting updates on your adventure, the basic format is:
Team: Pokemon 1, Pokemon 2, etc.
Gym badges earned: [number earned]
[Game activity between badges]
More information than this may be posted, so you are free to make your updates as in-depth as you'd like. If you only want to post the most basic information, go ahead. If you want to create a whole narrative of your adventure, that is perfectly fine as well.
8. The game ends and the challenge is completed when the credits roll.

Spoiler:

My sign up:
PC Username: Syntthetix
In-game Name: Syn
Race determined by quiz/chosen: Cait Sith
Game: Alpha Sapphire

Challengers
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:

Feel free to leave feedback in a PM/VM for the challenge if there are races that seem too difficult to use compared to the others, or if anything else could be tweaked. I want to make this challenge as fun and fair as possible :)

Last edited:

Syntthetix

Years
Well here's update #1 for my run:

Team:
Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 16
Lotad - Lvl 12
Litleo - Lvl 12
Aerodactyl - Lvl 12

Badges earned: 1 (Stone Badge)

I chose Treecko as my starter since it was allowed under my grass/normal type requirements. I caught a Lotad for the same reason, and a Ludicolo could definitely be useful in the long run. Aerodactyl was hacked in at level 12 (the level of my Lotad at the time) and is allowed under my Allies with Sylph constraint, due to the Sylph's electric/flying type requirements. Finally, Litleo (fire/normal type, hacked in at level 12) would be great to have, especially since it evolves into Pyroar, and having a fire type would be extremely helpful.

As this was my first badge, I only had the standard early-game grind really going on leading up to it. I didn't worry much about leveling up my Lotad until I got the Exp. Share from the scientist in Petalburg Woods, at which point it was far easier to pull up closer to my Grovyle. The fight against Roxanne ended up being super easy with my Treecko (surprisingly, I didn't evolve it before the gym), who could just use Mega Drain on repeat. One badge down, seven to go.

Last edited:

LuluRina

I got this feelin' inside my bones
Years
PC Username: LuluRina
In-game Name: Lulu
Race determined by quiz: Imp
Game: Black

Syntthetix

Years
PC Username: LuluRina
In-game Name: Lulu
Race determined by quiz: Imp
Game: Black

Good to see my first challenger showing up :) Imp seems like a pretty interesting race to play through this challenge with, especially in a more difficult game like Black, so good luck on your playthrough. Also, welcome to Poke Community!

Syntthetix

Years
Time for update #2:

Team:
Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 19
Lombre - Lvl 15
Litleo - Lvl 16
Aerodactyl - Lvl 15
Skitty - Lvl 12
Shroomish - Lvl 11

Badges earned: 2 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge)

After beating Roxanne, I headed over towards Rusturf Tunnel to get Peeko back from the Team Aqua Grunt that was hiding out in there. As per usual, he went down easily and I was free to continue on to Devon Corp. to talk to Mr. Stone. In the process of fighting the trainers along the way, my Lotad evolved into Lombre. Finally, my party members are becoming powerful enough to be useful.

Before that, I hit Route 116 to find myself a Skitty, fulfilling my one feline party member requirement. After that, I backtracked to Petalburg Woods and searched around for that 10% Shroomish, which is allowed as a Cait Sith since it's a grass type. With those two captured, I finally have my complete team that will be used for the entire rest of the playthrough.

With all that out of the way, I headed over to Devon Corp and talked to Mr. Stone to receive my PokeNav upgrade and get the instructions to head to Dewford Island, followed by Slateport City. Naturally, I headed over to Mr. Briney's house and had him sail me over to Dewford.

Going through Brawly's gym was... underwhelming, to say the least. Aerodactyl already had Wing Attack, and these were a bunch of fighting type trainers, soooo... you can see how easily all those fights ended, including the fight with Brawly himself.

That puts me at two badges obtained, and six more to go.

Last edited:

LuluRina

Years
And update 1!

Team:
Dween the Dwebble
Level 14
Timid/Sturdy
Fury Cutter/Rock Blast/Faint Attack/Sand-Attack

Betty the Zubat
Level 10
Rash/Inner Focus
Leech Life/Supersonic/Astonish

Badges earned: 1(Trio Badge)

I choose Tepig as my starter and beat my rivals easily. Then I imported a Crustle and a Zubat into the game, both level 6, because from what I've seen I can't get a Poison or Bug type until Pinwheel Forest, which is in between the second and third gym.
Mum gave us town maps. Not gonna use them much tbh.
I "learned" about catching Pokemon and the Pokecenter, as if I didn't know what those were -_-
Team Plasma had their speech, then I battled N, which was really easy with Dween.
Mum caught up to me and gave me running shoes. Now THOSE I'll actually use.
The battle against Bianca was... also easy. Oh well, Dween is a hard rock :)
Now CHEREN! Cheren is a hard smart boi. I had to train a lot before being able to beat him.
And then the Gym... which was easier then Cheren, mainly because I out-sped and didn't miss Fury Cutter much

Last edited:

LuluRina

Years
Update no. 2 -

Team:
Dween the Dwebble
Level 21
Timid/Sturdy
Fury Cutter/Smack Down/Faint Attack/Cut

Betty the Zubat
Level 20
Rash/Inner Focus
Leech Life/Wing Attack/Astonish/Bite

Badges earned: 2(Trio Badge, Basic Badge)

Fennel dragged me to her house and gave me Cut, which I promptly taught to Dween.
I went to the Dreamyard and beat up some Plasma grunts who were beating up a Musharna, then the Musharna's mummy came along :)
Fennel went and grabbed the dream mist, and I was promptly on my way... after getting something else that is utterly useless.
I went to continue my journey, when Cheren showed up... he was a bit hard, but overall not bad.
Then I beat up Team Plasma again for stealing a young girls pokemon.
I went to the gym when I ran into N again... and he was wrecked.
The gym was troubling at first, but with a bit of training, was beaten.

Syntthetix

Years
Took a while to get more done since I've been busy with Smash Ultimate and Apex, but here's update #3:

Team:
Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 26
Lombre - Lvl 22
Litleo - Lvl 26
Aerodactyl - Lvl 23
Skitty - Lvl 21
Shroomish - Lvl 21

Badges earned: 3 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge)

After obtaining the badge from Brawly's gym last time, I proceeded to Dewford Cave and delivered the letter to Steven. With that out of the way, I went back to Mr. Briney and sailed over to Slateport City. I used Slateport's beach as an opportunity to farm a bit of exp from the trainers in that area, then continued into the city.

Next, I went on to the museum in Slateport to deliver the package from Mr. Stone. Obviously, dealing with the Team Aqua grunts that came to intercept wasn't even remotely difficult, so I just got some free exp off of them.

Next, I headed north to Route 110 and defeated May without too much difficulty since I had a decent variety of attacks at my disposal. With May's battle complete, I finally made it to Mauville City. Wally's Ralts went down in two hits, so I was now free to challenge Watson's Gym.

This time around, things got more difficult. I made it through the gym trainers with some difficulty due to a lack of super effective moves, but I thought I still might have a chance at defeating Watson... I was very wrong. Not a single one of his Pokemon went down, so I had no choice but to soft reset to avoid losing money, before going through Route 117 and defeating trainers along the way to farm a few more levels. Eventually my Litleo learned Fire Fang, and suddenly I had an easy way to beat Watson's Magnemite and Magneton. I went back to the gym, and I had the battle finished with about 7 or 8 attacks. Finally, I got the Dynamo Badge and Volt Switch from Watson.

That's three down, five to go.

Syntthetix

Years
My god I need to get less Pokemon projects on my plate. Only been a month... Anyway, Update #5:

Team:
Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 31
Lombre - Lvl 30
Litleo - Lvl 33
Aerodactyl - Lvl 29
Skitty - Lvl 27
Breloom - Lvl 26

Badges earned: 4 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge, Heat Badge)

After beating Watson, I went to Route 111 then Route 112 to work towards Fallarbor Town. As usual, I worked through all the trainers on those two routes, and I eventually evolved my Shroomish into a Breloom.

Once I arrived in Fallarbor Town, I learned about the disappearance of the town's scientist, prompting me to head over to Meteor Falls and destroy Team Aqua's typical grunts. Team Magma appeared and gave us information about Team Aqua's plans to go to Mt. Chimney, so that's where I headed next.

Going through Mt. Chimney was just the usual Team Aqua scene. I beat a couple grunts and then was allowed to fight Archie, who went down pretty easily with my particular combination of Pokemon.

With all the Team Aqua scenes out of the way, I could finally head down to Lavaridge Town. At this point I went into the gym and (because I've played through these games so many times) I reached Flannery in the platform maze within a couple minutes. Using Lotad and Aerodactyl, I was able to shred through her fire type Pokemon pretty quickly, awarding me with the Heat Badge.

That's 4 down, 4 to go.

tommyeatsdonuts

Proffesional Donut Eater
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
PC Username: tommyeatsdonuts
In-game Name: Tommy
Race determined by quiz: Spriggan
Game: Y

V excited

tommyeatsdonuts

Proffesional Donut Eater
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Yo yo yo

Update #1

Team
Spoiler:

Plot
Spoiler:

Syntthetix

Years
This was a quick and easy segment of the playthrough, so here's Update #5:

Team:
Grovyle (Shino) - Lvl 32
Lombre - Lvl 32
Pyroar - Lvl 35
Aerodactyl - Lvl 31
Skitty - Lvl 29
Breloom - Lvl 28

Badges earned: 5 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge, Heat Badge, Balance Badge)

After defeating Flannery last time, I automatically returned to Petalburg City with May. This of course meant that it was time to challenge Norman's gym and obtain the fifth gym badge.

At first I was worried that I wouldn't have any attacks or Pokemon that would really be effective against the many normal types of Norman's gym. Turns out my Breloom had Mach Punch, which would allow me to use a super effective move AND go first every turn. Using this and force palm, I managed to push through the gym and defeat Norman extremely easily. With that done, I obtained the Balance Badge, as well as the HM Surf, allowing me to continue to Route 118 and towards Fortree City. My Litleo also evolved from that battle, finally giving me a more viable fire type on my team.

That's five down, only three to go.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 21, 2019
This looks fun. If I had one suggestion, it would be to allow the option to choose a race instead of only using the one given by the personality quiz. After all, half the fun of an MMO is making a billion alts with different classes.
Signing up regardless!

PC Username: Snarguffle
In-game Name: Snarguffle
Game: Sinking Sapphire (Enhancement hack of Alpha Sapphire)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 21, 2019
UPDATE 1

Team:
Spoiler:

Badges: 4 (Stone Badge, Knuckle Badge, Dynamo Badge, Heat Badge)

After getting through the tutorial section, ditched the starter (Treecko) for Zorua.
Caught Scraggy and Froakie on Route 104.
Hokori evolved to Frogadier while fighting the gym trainers.
Hoodwink and Hokori brutalized Roxanne and her team of fossils.
Brawly's team destroyed me at first, due to my Fighting weakness, but I managed to get past him.
May surprised me on Route 110 and annihilated me with her Swellow. Took everything I had to get past her.
Wally also gave me some trouble, but not too much.
Hoodwink managed to sweep Wattson's team completely in spite of Paralysis.
N evolved to Zoroark on the road to Fallarbor Town.
Caught Honedge and Golett on Route 113, bringing my team some much-needed balance.
Hoodwink evolved to Scrafty while training on Route 113.
Hokori evolved to Greninja while training on Route 114.
Raphael learned Dynamic Punch while training on Route 115.
Archie gave me some trouble at first, got swept by Hoodwink the second time.
Durendal evolved to Doublade while training in Jagged Pass. Evolved it straight to Aegislash.
Flannery went down on the first try.

Last edited:

Syntthetix

Years
This looks fun. If I had one suggestion, it would be to allow the option to choose a race instead of only using the one given by the personality quiz. After all, half the fun of an MMO is making a billion alts with different classes.
Signing up regardless!

PC Username: Snarguffle
In-game Name: Snarguffle
Game: Sinking Sapphire (Enhancement hack of Alpha Sapphire)

Sorry for not replying to this earlier, I was on vacation for the week and didn't check the forums. Anyway, I've got you added to the list and will add your first update as well!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
PC Username: Pok3pals
In-game Name: Poke
Game: Soul Silver

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Update 1

Team:
Gastly LVL 16
Curse/Night Shade/Spite/Mean Look
Badges (1): Zephyr Badge

So....the gym was sort of hard cause I didn't have any attacking moves so all I could do was Curse and Spite to reduce moves to try and make them struggle. While doing that I bought a few potions to heal for the Curse.

Back