• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola Vulpix is strange

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    It's cool that the typing is inverted but I find it strange that the pokémon can't learn any fire type move what makes the connection between normal & alola form pretty strange. Every other Alola form has some type of logic bound into their alternative typing. Take Raticate for example that naturally already learn a decent amount of dark moves what made the pretty dark typing suddenly not that unexpected. But what connection is their with Vulpix. It would have been really cool that a ice pokémon suddenly spits fire.

Years
  • Maybe Vulpix was an exception in that the climate changed it so drastically that its internal fire all but went out completely. Or Game Freak that an Ice-type trying to breathe fire or having the ability to burn makes absolutely no sense (unless if you're White Kyurem with its Ice Burn), which may also be why the dual Water/Ice Pokemon can't learn Scald.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • Vulpix is my favourite Alolan form, and the fact that is an ice type makes sense to me and it fits well with its design.

Years
  • I have a question about Alolan Vulpix. So I'm EV Training for the first time (yes I feel like a noob) and I'm trying to get a Level 50 Alolan Ninetails for Battle Spot battling. My Alolan Vulpix is currently at level 12 and I've managed to max out its EV stats through the use of Youtube tutorials. So my question is, would my Alolan Ninetails be stronger if I go ahead and evolve it via an Ice Stone now or should I keep it as a Vulpix and wait until level 50 to evolve? Would my Alolan Ninetails stats be higher if I evolve it early?

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I have a question about Alolan Vulpix. So I'm EV Training for the first time (yes I feel like a noob) and I'm trying to get a Level 50 Alolan Ninetails for Battle Spot battling. My Alolan Vulpix is currently at level 12 and I've managed to max out its EV stats through the use of Youtube tutorials. So my question is, would my Alolan Ninetails be stronger if I go ahead and evolve it via an Ice Stone now or should I keep it as a Vulpix and wait until level 50 to evolve? Would my Alolan Ninetails stats be higher if I evolve it early?

Stats-wise, it shouldn't make a difference. You'll end up with the same stats if you evolve now or at Level 50.

Moveset wise though, it depends on which moves you want. Some moves are learned at different levels after evolution so I'd map out which moves you want your Ninetales-A to know and evolve accordingly.

As for the topic, I don't think it's too strange. That's the magic of adaptation, things change to survive and A-Vulpix found it survived best up on Lanakila as an Ice/Fairy type :)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I guess it can be because fire and ice can destroy each other?. If there's a touch of fire in Vulpix, the Ice can't exist...

TimothyAster

Gen5-er
    Years
  • I know, its strange, but can we talk about Alolan Ninetailses design for a second. Its..... so ugly. The curly thin tails, they make it just look like its too thin. I don't know. No hate, I still like that pokemon, but the design...... not.

Years
  • I like the design, but I kinda feel like it was a filler to bump up the number of Ice-type Pokémon available in the Alola region.

Crabominable was the only new Ice-type outside these Alola Forms, which really does make the Alolan Sandshrew and Vulpix lines feel like nothing but filler. Same with all those Dark-type Alolan Forms which are the only new Dark-types outside of Guzzlord and Incineroar.

TimothyAster

Gen5-er
    Years
  • Crabominable was the only new Ice-type outside these Alola Forms, which really does make the Alolan Sandshrew and Vulpix lines feel like nothing but filler. Same with all those Dark-type Alolan Forms which are the only new Dark-types outside of Guzzlord and Incineroar.

I like the dark types, I mean, they sorta make sense, with the sun and moon thing that's going on. But Sandshrew and Ninetails are just not doing it for me. They do feel like filler.

LUXIOtheBEST2

*Luxio//Hacks*'s New Account... again
    Years
  • You probably thought it's strange because of the different typing but I get you but it's a great way to introduce different variations of Pokemon.

Back