• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA Americans

Ninjorf

Friendo
Years
  • This is a good country. Unfortunately, our (truly repugnant) media is convincing people that this is a terrible country.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Most of what has been said so far is not unique to the USA and so I don't really see why it's reason enough to love the country....??

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights, an amendable document that allows the people to make important edits to the government like giving women, poor people and anyone who is a citizen and over 18 the right to vote. What about Federalism, a unique form of government in the 1700s, that allowed America to flourish and become a place with potential?

America isn't as unique now but unique doesn't necessarily mean good. And many countries like Japan and South Korea adopted America's form of government because it's efficient and decent and guarantees more freedom than any other form of government. Many people have fought hard to make this country worth living in. And many immigrants from many different countries risked a lot to get here. it's because of a lot of things that many countries still don't have like civil liberties, freedom of speech and press, opportunity to work and live a better life, etc.

America has its problems, but it's worth loving, the country would have failed years ago if people didn't see the potential here. It's not perfect now and may never reach perfection but the people here have the potential to make it better just like how Martin Luther King Jr. fought for greater civil rights and equality for all men and women. And like how Susan B. Anthony fought for women's suffrage. And like how Deborah Sampson fought for this country despite being a woman in a time where women weren't allowed to fight, in the American Revolutionary War. And many other examples of good people working hard to fight for a better future for themselves, the people and the ideals promised by this country.

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Americans are not rational people. It's unreasonable to love America. All love of America is irrational.

Americans are irrational people. Esper is an American (assuming so because Esper's location is California). Therefore, Esper is an irrational person. If Esper is an irrational person, her arguments are not rational. Her arguments are not rational, so her argument that Americans are irrational people is also irrational.

Keep this logic and Esper falls to faulty reasoning. If Esper claims she and people that agree with her opinion are the only rational people, then Esper has a very large burden of proof. If Esper cannot prove this, then she is inconsistent. Or Esper is just falling to a hasty generalization fallacy.

I can think of a lot of reasons to be proud of the United States. Love of one's own country is not inherently irrational.

Years
  • Americans are irrational people. Esper is an American (assuming so because Esper's location is California). Therefore, Esper is an irrational person. If Esper is an irrational person, her arguments are not rational. Her arguments are not rational, so her argument that Americans are irrational people is also irrational.

I wouldn't disagree that I'm irrational, but that doesn't mean my arguments are. They should be judged on the strength of the arguments themselves, not on my own personal qualities. But this isn't D&D so.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Americans are so fun to watch from a distance
    well
    sometimes.

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
    Years
  • I wasn't born there, but I have American ancestry.
    In regards to the country.

It can be great, the people, things to do.
    Where its at now.

seems to be slippin'.
    which makes me feel sad.

Back