• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ancient Relics: The Fossil Fanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • My god, Slayr, you've really done it. If that Relicanth tops Electrode, then all we have to do is get it's speed up. Like you said, Head Smash does pack a punch with 225 BP and Life Orb boost, and Rock Head takes care of all the consequences (namely half the % of HP damage dealt), just has a little low accuracy and of course, 8 PP. By the way, did you care to make Relicanth shiny? :P

Come to think of it, Waterfall can be extremely dangerous, especially given it may flinch. The only thing I'm sad about is that poor Relicanth is left with no way to heal, but I suppose when sweeping we never look back XD. If you're saying Relicanth beats grass-types, that's even better! I don't know the NU tier very well but other than grass and fighting I suppose there's not many choices to counter Relicanth, considering it gets Earthquake and Waterfall.
    You'd be surprised how many pokemon can tank those hits. Since it's a lower tier, a lot of not fully evolved pokemon try to make their mark (such as Metang and Roselia from the battle). Because of this, eviolites are commonly used, which multiply both the defenses of NFE pokemon by 1.5. Then, there are the physical walls such as Weezing, Alomomola, and Musharna. Weezing gets levitate, so you can consider Earthquake as not an option. Then it might be impossible to OHKO Alomomola with one move (even a X4 boosted seed bomb from Cradily wasn't enough), and then Musharna has incredible bulk with immediate healing and offensive presence. In other words, there are walls everywhere. It's rare when a sweep happens from any pokemon because the pokemon needs such power to pull it off. Lucky for us, Relicanth might have that power, it just needs a lot of speed. Oh, and you need to get rid of priority, as Relicanth doesn't appreciate those Mach Punches very much. So there's a look into the depths of NU. Maybe I should try to help another fossil out, but a lot of them are used a lot already.

Edit: I forgot to answer your question! No, Relicanth isn't shiny on the server. I don't make the pokemon shiny because anyone can, so it ruins the special feeling you get when you throw out a shiny in real life.

Edit #2: That beginning game sweep is amazing! https://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nucurrent-55074845

Last edited:

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • In case you guys don't know, I saw it on Bulbagarden's X & Y leaks thead where
    it says that Mega Aerodactyl is Rock/Flying with the Tough Claws ability.

I'll go look again to make sure...

& at Hoenn:
    I know how that trainer feels...
    I've gone though that multiple times...

Years
  • Did you guys see mega Aerodactyl yet? That thing is badass as hell.

Spoiler:

Ooooh my gosh. I saw him a few days ago and loved him right away. Aerodactyl has always been very useful to me in every run I've used him in, so a mega form is so very welcome. :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I've looked again & Mega Aerodactyl is indeed Rock/Flying with Tough Claws.
    Tough Claws? What on earth does that do! I hope it's something badass enough to make up for the lack of his current great ability but ehh, I think it was a bad move to change it. Rock/Flying was expected but I do wonder if it could've been a bit stronger with something like Rock/Dragon (though might take away from Tyrantrum a tad...) - what do you guys think?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Well, if Charizard is flying/fire, instead of dragon/fire, then I can see why Aerodactyl would stay that way. It still has great STAB combinations, enough to thwart Grass and Ice types from coming into play to destroy it. I don't know what tough claws is, but let's hope that it's actually applicable this time. Rock head is a great ability, but it's limited when a pokemon doesn't know any recoil moves.

And I also think that the comic is hilarious. The surrounding Axew population grew dramatically when it took +100 eggs to get one with the right nature. I think my favorite Relicanth is the one in the lower left corner of the third panel, waving at the camera.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • @ AlexOzzyCakes:
    Tough Claws is an ability that inceases the power of direct-contract moves,
    some of which Aerodactyl has are:
    Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Wing Attack, Bite, Crunch, Take Down, Sky Drop,
    Iron Head, Giga Impact, Dragon Claw, Frustration, Return, Aerial Ace, Facade, Thief,
    Payback, Rock Smash, Fly, Strength, Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Pursuit, Steel Wing & Assurance.

@ Slayr231:
    Mega Charizard IS Fire/Dragon.
    Or I should say Mega Charizard X is...
    That's right, Charizard, like Mewtwo, will have version exculsive Mega evolutions.
    Mega Charizard X is Fire/Dragon with inceased Attack & has Tough Claws as it's ability
    while Mega Charizard Y is Fire/Flying with drastically inceased Sp.Atk & has Drought as it's
    ability.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I knew that Charizard had version exclusive mega-evolutions, so I'm not that out of the loop. I'm starting to not like these mega-evolutions that much. I think that they're further complicating the already complicated meta-game. However, I'll wait until I actually play the games with them to make a final decision.

Tough claws seem like a really good ability for Aerodactyl. It might not even need the attack boost if you have that and a life orb.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I knew that Charizard had version exclusive mega-evolutions, so I'm not that out of the loop. I'm starting to not like these mega-evolutions that much. I think that they're further complicating the already complicated meta-game. However, I'll wait until I actually play the games with them to make a final decision.

Tough claws seem like a really good ability for Aerodactyl. It might not even need the attack boost if you have that and a life orb.

I'm in favor of Mega evoultions, mainly because Absol & Gardevoir may finally have a place
    in the higher tiers...

From what I saw, Stone Edge & Rock Slide are not direct contract moves, so an Attack boost
    would be nice, unless it gets a new direct contract Rock-type attack...

Years
  • Name: GigaGamics
    Partner: Amaura

Amaura is my favorite fossil pokemon because of what it can do, how the design of it is, and how effective it is in battle. With its Ability Refrigerate, it turns normal type moves to ice types. This is effective in battle because with strong moves(in my opinion), like Hyper Fang, Giga Impact, and Hyper Beam having those as Ice Moves are really good. Its design is pretty good too, having the appearance of a stegosauras-looking dinosaur(Bulbapedia says different...) and pretty good colors all the way around, having different shades of Blue with a ice crystal on is side, with the tuff/hair on its head looking and colored like an aurora is pretty well designed and makes it distinct from other pokemon. All around, I love this pokemon and has potential to be a very good competitive and all-around pokemon

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Now that the game is out, I'll see if the base stats of the new fossil Pokémon are revealed soon. Then we'll know how potent our two new specimen will be. Until then JUST LOOK AT MEGA AERODACTYL AND WEEP.

If Archeops gets a MegaEvolution, my only wish will be to have it a different ability xD

Sirfetch’d

@Hoenn I agree that Archeops would make for an excellent Pokemon to get a Mega Evolution, especially if it could get rid of that horrid ability that drags it down so terribly much. I'd like to see all fossil Pokemon get a Mega Evolution though as they sorta fit that profile of things that would get one.

With that said though, now I just wanted to post about my experience of using the new fossil Pokemon. I decided to go with Amaura and it was such a fantastic decision on my end. She is absolutely stunning in battle by defeating every Pokemon that crosses her path. She has a fabulous movepool and great offensive stats to help support it. Her speed is a bit of an issue at times, especially when facing speedy Steel Pokemon, but other than that, a great addition to my team. Which fossil did you guys decide to go with?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • These are the stats of Bowser, my Tyrantrum:

Lv.45
    Hardy nature
    Attack: 127
    Defense: 120
    Sp.Atk: 84
    Sp.Def: 86
    Speed: 92

Note that I put a lot of effort into the Sp.Def...
    It's normally lower than the Sp.Atk...
    (unless my Tyrantrum has high Sp.Atk IVs... I have no idea how to tell...)

EDITED IN:
    Oh, & I would LOVE to see Mega Archeops without Defeastist...
    If it doesn't, what ability do you guys think it'll be?
    I think Tough Claws sounds likely... or maybe Gale Wings...

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I haven't played X or Y yet but I'm feeling nagged into taking Amaura because it looks so cute and its ability is alluring. Until then, spare me the spoilers! :P

I'm quite surprised that they didn't reveal as many MegaEvos as expect tbh. I can totally see Archeops dominating the tiers after getting Speed Boost XD

I honestly feel that fossil Pokémon are just so strong, cute as well as cool. That's why I wish to see "legendary fossils". It's a cool way to explain Pokémon history too.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Sorry guys I've been so busy with uni recently you wouldn't believe it. But here now hi! 8D

Name: GigaGamics
    Partner: Amaura

Amaura is my favorite fossil pokemon because of what it can do, how the design of it is, and how effective it is in battle. With its Ability Refrigerate, it turns normal type moves to ice types. This is effective in battle because with strong moves(in my opinion), like Hyper Fang, Giga Impact, and Hyper Beam having those as Ice Moves are really good. Its design is pretty good too, having the appearance of a stegosauras-looking dinosaur(Bulbapedia says different...) and pretty good colors all the way around, having different shades of Blue with a ice crystal on is side, with the tuff/hair on its head looking and colored like an aurora is pretty well designed and makes it distinct from other pokemon. All around, I love this pokemon and has potential to be a very good competitive and all-around pokemon
    HI NEW PERSON LET'S GO RIDE AMAURAS TOGETHER INTO THE SUNSET ♥ Welcome to the club, it's a pleasure to meet you! I agree with you that Amarua is such a cool Pokémon (pun totally intended) and I think it was beyond a wonderful addition to the new games. How do you feel about her counterpart Tyrunt though? And do you like other fossil Pokémon in general? I find it hard to get over Amaura's huge type weaknesses but I'm hoping it'll manage to find some competitive use.

Hmm, mega Archeops - that'd be one heck of a badass Pokémon. Ability? I think like Hoenn said, Speed Boost would suit it well. It'd probably become completely over-powered but given that mega Gengar has almost 200 base SpA and the ability Shadow Tag I'm not sure it's a problem for them to be over-powered haha. I can see Rock Head working well for Archeops too but I do wonder if that's becoming a tad "well it's a fossil so let's give it Rock Head" whilst we're discussing these - it's a perfect ability for most of them and suits them all perfectly but perhaps I should start thinking further afield lmao.

I've been using Tyrantrum in my Pokémon X game by the way - it's honestly a big disappointment. It doesn't have nearly the power or bulk that I was hoping for and it's easily the weakest member of my team (and that includes a Dedenne!). Is anyone else having this problem?

ALSO THANKS FOR SPRITES CLOYSTERFACE but I've got some transparent ones lined up already so they'll fit all themes haha. Appreciated though!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I've been using Tyrantrum in my Pokémon X game by the way - it's honestly a big disappointment. It doesn't have nearly the power or bulk that I was hoping for and it's easily the weakest member of my team (and that includes a Dedenne!). Is anyone else having this problem?

Thing is, I don't have X or Y so your disappointment with Tyrantrum makes me want Amaura even more. Can you give some more info about the woes of Tyrantrum?

PS - All XY Pokémon in serebii.net have got official menu icon sprites so you can arm the OP with them!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I've been using Tyrantrum in my Pokémon X game by the way - it's honestly a big disappointment. It doesn't have nearly the power or bulk that I was hoping for and it's easily the weakest member of my team (and that includes a Dedenne!). Is anyone else having this problem?
    That's funny, my Tyrantrum is one of the biggest hitters on my team. Of course, I fully EV trained its attack stat, so that helps. The things I find that's lackluster is it's bulk and speed. It doesn't outspeed much, and it doesn't take a lot to KO it, but that attack. It easily OHKO's most of the competition. However, I find it to be average in my party. I'm mostly relying on Pangoro and Chesnaught for my power hitters, but Tyrantrum can still pack a punch when it wants to.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Name: Pokemonranger109
    Partner's Species: Kabuto
    Partner's Name: Razor

I always liked kobuto ever since he appeared in the tv show where ash falls into the hole with all of the fossil pokemon in it.
    Hi ranger, welcome to the club! Are you a fan of all fossil Pokémon or just of the Kabuto line? And what is it that you like about Kabuto so much? Honestly for me it's one of my least favourite fossil Pokémon - it's a cool Pokémon by all means and it evolves into one of the most badass things out there, but what actually is Kabuto as regards a partner? It's a rock that can walk and you can hardly ever even see his eyes or know how he's feeling; it strikes me as one heck of a difficult Pokémon to train haha. Also Rock/Water is doomed to failure but I think Kabutops especially makes up for it with the badass factor of his design.

As for the people asking about Tyrantrum, I've just found her to be a huge disappointment haha. You'd expect a Pokémon like that to hit incredibly hard and to hold some bulk to take hits but mine just dies all the time and hardly does any damage in the process. I haven't bothered with EVs or IVs or natures for the in-game team since they aren't normally necessary but I doubt they can make that big a difference... Her Crunch hits pretty hard but that's about it as far as decent attacks go (she's level 50 so if there are better moves coming soon please let me know haha) and she can hardly take a hit without dying - plus she always takes the hits based on her low levels of bulk. I don't know, maybe I'm just expecting too much from her but I've been disappointed to say the least haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back