• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ancient Relics: The Fossil Fanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I don't see it being redundant if every fully evolved pokemon gets a mega evolution,
Because from what I understand, each team will only have 1 mega evolution per battle...
(or is it 1 mega evolution per battle, meaning you have to get your pokemon to mega evolve first?)

& for Mega Relicanth, I can see it getting an incease in Attack & Sp.Def & getting a new
ability that acts like a combonation of Rock Head & Solid Rock...
I'll call it Bedrock.

Sirfetch’d

Mm I get exactly what you mean there haha. If every Pokémon gets a mega evolution then the mega evolutions will just shift into the same sort of tiers that we have now making them kind of redundant. I think Relicanth has a lot of potential though - if they just increased his Speed a tad (and possibly his Attack too, wouldn't complain!) then he could do a heck of a lot better. Waterfall and Head Smash, alongside Rock Head, gives a very decent amount of coverage with some incredibly hard-hitting moves. All he needs is a bit more Speed or a bit more bulk in order to actually pull these moves off without dying lmao, the poor thing. XD

If Relicanth got a mega evo, that would be really helpful to it because his Attack stat is useable, but his speed is just too low for him to be able to accomplish anything. If the mega evolution just increased this Pokemon's speed, I think that you would really see some usage out this this Pokemon because he is really cool and unique.

On another note, there are rumors floating around that Aerodactyl will be getting a mega evolution. Thoughts on this?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
On another note, there are rumors floating around that Aerodactyl will be getting a mega evolution. Thoughts on this?

OOMGGGGGGGG MUSTGET
Aerodactyl's already awesome design getting a boost will be like seeing MegaBlaziken. I mean to say, Aerodactyl is already awesome, MegaAero will just be pure awesome.
I'll have to say I want some more attack on it for more sweeping capabilities, I just feel that's a very good picture it can make up with the right attributes. Aerodactyl could serve as a middlefront mixed attack at dire times which means two things: dealing with both walls and sweepers. I'm sure the right combination of STAB powerkill and Toxic tactic can achieve this, IF only his MegaEvo gets some of the right attributes.

Aaand it would inspire me to switch to MegaAero from MegaMewtwo.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I would love this. I've always liked Aerodactyl and it getting a mega-evolution would definitely increase it's awesomeness. I always felt like it has the speed, but it was lacking some base power. If it gets a boost in the attack stat, Aerodactyl will be seeing a lot more usage.

Sirfetch’d

I would love this. I've always liked Aerodactyl and it getting a mega-evolution would definitely increase it's awesomeness. I always felt like it has the speed, but it was lacking some base power. If it gets a boost in the attack stat, Aerodactyl will be seeing a lot more usage.

I was thinking the same thing but also changing his typing. I have always felt that Rock/Flying is an absolutely horrible typing because of all of the weaknesses, but if it were changed to Rock/Dragon that would really help Aerodactyl out. Sure he would pick up a Dragon weakness, but lose weaknesses to Rock, Electric, and Water which would make him a much more useable Pokemon. I really do hope this rumor is true though as I simply love Aerodactyl but he does need a little help as I have already stated.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Rock/Flying is horrid for defense, but how good is it on the offense?

I'm thinking all Aerodactyl needs is a boost in attack...

& I don't remember it's ability right now...
Would Huge Jaw help it any?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
If Aerodactyl got a mega evolution, I think it'd just turn into a digital version of Godzilla that's had a couple glasses of Redbull. Redbull does give you wings, after all. In all seriousness, it'd definitely be nice to see. Huge Jaw would give it some help as Aerodactyl's move pool contains a huge range of biting attacks- Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Thunder Fang/Crunch etc. As for whether it uses those moves often enough is the question. I mean, Rock Head is a pretty good ability itself. It allows Aerodactyl to Head Smash anything in sight. Does Huge Jaw have more benefits? The only one I could see being used often is Crunch and Aerodactyl has some better abilities to support it. Personal opinion though. :p

Aerodactyl for Rock/Dragon indeed! It's pretty much a dragon already with its skeletal structure + species. Dinosaurs are dragons without wings in my eyes. It'd definitely give a nice boost in the competitive aspect, that's for sure. The less weaknesses, the better. Plus imagine a STAB Outrage coming from that godzilla. Ouch. ]:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I mean, Rock Head is a pretty good ability itself. It allows Aerodactyl to Head Smash anything in sight. Does Huge Jaw have more benefits

As a rule, any Pokémon that is not half-bad and is exposed to both Head Smash and Rock Head is overkill. Other than the accuracy, it basically destroys competition. Rock has a wide range of advantages against, not to mention Stealth Rock + Head Smash would just finish them off. 8 PP is more than enough for sweeping the feet out of the opponent's team. Aero is unique: a Rock type with considerable speed. The good part is that it gets Roost too, that wipes off ice as a weakness, so the forefront gets a benefit of a risk-free sweep. Pressure is a hard-put ability for Aero, the only reason I liked it because it helped stall out many Pokémon along with Substitute, Roost and Toxic.

Rock/Dragon might be overdoing it, but it would sure help it a lot competitively. Considering Dragon is resistant to all the three starter types and Electric, that loads a head of power. I do agree its attack stat can do with a boost, too. The only next thing is to either give Choice Band Smash or Life Orb Smash. And can we stop talking about Outrage from Aerodactyl? It hurts my mind to think the horror XD

We-ell, we haven't ruled out Fairy type, have we? I'm wondering if Iron Head should become a staple on MegaAero...

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Dinosaurs are dragons without wings in my eyes.

I've heard that before the word "Dinosaur" was invented, they DID call them "Dragons".

But I think I actually prefer the idea of Aerodactyl staying as Rock/Flying...

It would prevent it from being overly powerful, as I think it might become with a mega evolution...

I'm just trying to think like a game designer would.

EDITED IN:
In fact, if it was my choice, ALL pokemon would neither be too weak or too strong & every single one would have
it's own unique niche.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I've heard that before the word "Dinosaur" was invented, they DID call them "Dragons".

But I think I actually prefer the idea of Aerodactyl staying as Rock/Flying...

It would prevent it from being overly powerful, as I think it might become with a mega evolution...

I'm just trying to think like a game designer would.

EDITED IN:
In fact, if it was my choice, ALL pokemon would neither be too weak or too strong & every single one would have
it's own unique niche.

Hmm yeah I'm seeing your point, but the problem is, favourites only emerge due to non-favourites. In comparison, then we'd be saying that all legendaries, etc. are just equally strong to other Pokémon and should be treated as such.

That made me brood a bit.
Would you guys like a legendary fossil Pokémon?

I mean, some legendary Pokémon who unfortunately expired due to some even more unfortunate cause, and had a history as an ancient legendary Pokémon. Resurrection of this Pokémon wouldn't be easy obv, but it's a fun idea. What would you guys think?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I can see a epic story being done with legendary fossils...

The game villian is REALLY powerful & is in fact, so strong that only a certian legend can stop
him/her... unfortunaly, the legend has been dead for thousands of years...
So you, the hero of the game, has to get the fossil of the said legend & find a way to revive it.

& there would be 2 legendary fossils, which one you get would depend on what version you got.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I can see a epic story being done with legendary fossils...

The game villian is REALLY powerful & is in fact, so strong that only a certian legend can stop
him/her... unfortunaly, the legend has been dead for thousands of years...
So you, the hero of the game, has to get the fossil of the said legend & find a way to revive it.

& there would be 2 legendary fossils, which one you get would depend on what version you got.
Then, when you're just about to revive the fossil, the bad guy shows up! Naturally, he has the other fossil and puts it in the machine. Once he has the legendary, he uses its power to scare you off and steal the device. You then have to go and infiltrate his secret base to get to the machine and revive your legendary. An epic battle ensues once you revive your fossil, and hopefully you win.

Maybe we should work on our own pokemon game. XD

DualBlade

The Umbreon Lover
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
Ohai.

Name: Doublade Dual-Blade
Partner: Tyrantrum? If you don't have the sprite for it i'll go for Tyrunt =D

Topic -
Probably Tyrantrum or Armaldo.
I LOVED T-REXES BACK THEN <3
I thought they were the king of everything and yah =P
Armaldo was basically the "old" t-rex for me.
And well..Tyrantrum..uhh....

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Hmm yeah I'm seeing your point, but the problem is, favourites only emerge due to non-favourites. In comparison, then we'd be saying that all legendaries, etc. are just equally strong to other Pokémon and should be treated as such.

That made me brood a bit.
Would you guys like a legendary fossil Pokémon?

I mean, some legendary Pokémon who unfortunately expired due to some even more unfortunate cause, and had a history as an ancient legendary Pokémon. Resurrection of this Pokémon wouldn't be easy obv, but it's a fun idea. What would you guys think?
A legendary fossil? That'd be insanely cool. Wouldn't be that hard to pull off either - given the nature of fossils they could have literally any back story you wanted and it'd still make sense. Just place it deep in the crater of some active volcano and call it the Fire God Pokémon or something; easy! I'd love to see a legendary Pokémon as a fossil but honestly I just don't see it happening. The lack of extra fossils as the generations go on has been really disappointing with only Gen I (and kind of Gen III if you count Relicanth) adding in something other than the default two additions, buuut I guess we can't be too choosey given how niche these Pokémon are in the first place haha. Imagine a legendary Rock/Poison fossil Pokémon terrorizing everyone... badass.

Ohai.

Name: Doublade Dual-Blade
Partner: Tyrantrum? If you don't have the sprite for it i'll go for Tyrunt =D

Topic -
Probably Tyrantrum or Armaldo.
I LOVED T-REXES BACK THEN <3
I thought they were the king of everything and yah =P
Armaldo was basically the "old" t-rex for me.
And well..Tyrantrum..uhh....

Spoiler:
Hiya weird sword thing, welcome to the club! Unfortunately we are lacking Tyrantrum at the moment so it will have to be Tyrunt haha. If you love T-Rexes so much then how do you feel about Rampardos? I know it's not technically a T-Rex but it's really close! I'm honestly surprised it took them so long to make a T-Rex fossil Pokémon though; maybe they were just waiting for a good typing situation to come up? I'm expecting great things from our Dragon brute. And Armaldo is super cool too!

Did you guys see mega Aerodactyl yet? That thing is badass as hell.

Spoiler:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I love Mega Aerodactyl! That thing looks so cool.

Just thought I would let you guys know that my NU team with Relicanth topped at #6 on the NU ladder. Relicanth is doing just fine and has been the downfall for many teams. I love Relicanth now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
You actually managed to pull off a good Relicanth build and it didn't constantly die? What moves/stats did you give it? How often did it go on a killing streak or was it usually just killed after one or two attacks? I think this is a triumph for our little fish fossil, this calls for a celebration!

208140_320.jpg

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
MEGAAERO IS AWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEESSSSSSSOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEE

Well, now that I've shouted it out, let's say that the new spikes suits it up really well (can't figure why they're black, though) and the new back-thing is awesome. I wonder what else we'd get to know about it...

Slayr, I think you should also credit your capabilities as a competitive battler for this. If that poor Relicanth fell on the hands of a noob, he wouldn't fare well.

But let's party for our newfound Relicanth!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Aww, thanks Hoenn. I would like to think that I'm a decent battler. Unfortunately, the username I used to test to see how far it can get up the ladder (Ratchet111) currently sits at 16th place. So, it's lost that #6 seed, but hopefully with some more battles, I can finally pass that 2,000 rating milestone I've been wanting so badly. Anyway, back to Relicanth. This is the set I'm currently using:

Relicanth (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish

One thing I noticed, is that Head Smash packs one heck of a punch. I mean, it's ridiculous how much power that thing pours out. Here's a battle where it got me the win. At the end, I'm not going to reveal too much, but let's just say that a powerful, physical move is lucky to get 40% damage out of Musharna, even super effective ones.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nucurrent-54940552

I'm just going to go ahead and explain some things about our beloved fish. It took a while to get it to work, and I almost gave up. I tried about three different sets, and this one works the best. With that Rock Polish, after one boost Relicanth even took down an Electrode. That's how fast it can be. It's incredibly difficult to use, probably the most difficult pokemon I've ever tried. It has so many counters that literally every team has at least two, and to be quite honest. It does die a lot. However, when this thing gets up and running, there is hardly a pokemon out there that can stop it. With it's speed up, Roselia, Eelektross, Electrode, Raichu, and even some Sawk don't stand a chance. It almost always gets the surprise factor and very few people have dealt with a sweeping Relicanth before, so it's always awesome when someone comments on it. Despite its difficulties, this is the most successful team I have ever created and I want to thank you guys for inspiring me to try and make it. If you read through all that I have typed here, then I thank you. :D

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Did you guys see mega Aerodactyl yet? That thing is badass as hell.

Spoiler:

I am really excited for this thing because I have always been such a huge fan of Aerodactyl, but he seems so underwhelming at times. Has his typing been revealed yet? I ask this because I really am hoping for him to get Rock/Dragon as that would make him such a more useful Pokemon than he is currently. Overall though so far I am very impressed by the design that GF gave him and I will admit that he looks BADASS!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Aww, thanks Hoenn. I would like to think that I'm a decent battler. Unfortunately, the username I used to test to see how far it can get up the ladder (Ratchet111) currently sits at 16th place. So, it's lost that #6 seed, but hopefully with some more battles, I can finally pass that 2,000 rating milestone I've been wanting so badly. Anyway, back to Relicanth. This is the set I'm currently using:

Relicanth (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish

One thing I noticed, is that Head Smash packs one heck of a punch. I mean, it's ridiculous how much power that thing pours out. Here's a battle where it got me the win. At the end, I'm not going to reveal too much, but let's just say that a powerful, physical move is lucky to get 40% damage out of Musharna, even super effective ones.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nucurrent-54940552

I'm just going to go ahead and explain some things about our beloved fish. It took a while to get it to work, and I almost gave up. I tried about three different sets, and this one works the best. With that Rock Polish, after one boost Relicanth even took down an Electrode. That's how fast it can be. It's incredibly difficult to use, probably the most difficult pokemon I've ever tried. It has so many counters that literally every team has at least two, and to be quite honest. It does die a lot. However, when this thing gets up and running, there is hardly a pokemon out there that can stop it. With it's speed up, Roselia, Eelektross, Electrode, Raichu, and even some Sawk don't stand a chance. It almost always gets the surprise factor and very few people have dealt with a sweeping Relicanth before, so it's always awesome when someone comments on it. Despite its difficulties, this is the most successful team I have ever created and I want to thank you guys for inspiring me to try and make it. If you read through all that I have typed here, then I thank you. :D

My god, Slayr, you've really done it. If that Relicanth tops Electrode, then all we have to do is get it's speed up. Like you said, Head Smash does pack a punch with 225 BP and Life Orb boost, and Rock Head takes care of all the consequences (namely half the % of HP damage dealt), just has a little low accuracy and of course, 8 PP. By the way, did you care to make Relicanth shiny? :P

Come to think of it, Waterfall can be extremely dangerous, especially given it may flinch. The only thing I'm sad about is that poor Relicanth is left with no way to heal, but I suppose when sweeping we never look back XD. If you're saying Relicanth beats grass-types, that's even better! I don't know the NU tier very well but other than grass and fighting I suppose there's not many choices to counter Relicanth, considering it gets Earthquake and Waterfall.

Guys, can you believe what Relicanth did? From a forgotten fish thing it's actually making it in the NU tier. I wonder whether this club can cook up more of his kind! This calls for a celebration... in the form of a comic!

Gaaaaaaah I'm so hyped over MegaAero stillll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back