• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

And so I thought the sun was the biggest thing ever

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I wonder if ANYTHING is bigger than Canis Majoris! XD

Miley Cyrus's Sexyness > That beacon :3

Erm...

I've never heard of those stars, and now I know, that I have been scarred for life because that is Bucking Fig.

Then again, we haven't seen Andromeda yet. For all we know there could be God's Star in there.

VY Canis Majoris eh? That thing is huge!

It also takes about 7,000,000,000,000,000 (7 Quadrillion) Earths to fill it and if it were to replace our sun it would extend to the orbit of Saturn. Plus it takes 8 hours for light to go around it compared to the 14.5 seconds it takes the light to go around the sun.

Way to copy/paste from Wikipedia.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Isn't there one called Castor, twinned with Pollux or something?
    Yes, Castor and Pollux are part of the constellation Gemini, "the twins". Pollux is the brighter of the two.

This all doesn't come at any surprise to me, since I've been knowledgeable about astronomy for all my life. But it still feels kind of awesome to know that we're just itty-bitty specks that mean nothing when compared to the sheer size of other things.

And <3 for Orion's two brighter stars being shown.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Wow, that last one was immense. I knew our sun was medium-sized, but that wasn't even the half of it. XD

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • Miley Cyrus's Sexyness > That beacon :3

Erm...

I've never heard of those stars, and now I know, that I have been scarred for life because that is Bucking Fig.

Then again, we haven't seen Andromeda yet. For all we know there could be God's Star in there.

Way to point out to obvious? And who cares. It's a tidbit if information that's interesting. You're acting like he's claiming that he pulled it from a random memory.

Oh, and that V838 Monocerotis's color is awesomeeeeee. Oh, this too:

(Big image)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I've already known that there are millions of other stars larger than the Sun, supergiants and hypergiants and stuff. Too bad those stars ain't gonna last long enough to reach them...(especially eta carinae).

Isn't there one called Castor, twinned with Pollux or something?

There is in the Gemini, but they are not really pairs. They are called visual binaries because they look like pairs in our sight. They are quite far apart, hundreds of light years... and Castor's actually famous for it's sextuple or six star system!

The size of the last planet is phenomenal. :o[/quote]

The star's size is phenomenal, not the planets. The planets are just size of an atom to the largest star...

I wonder if ANYTHING is bigger than Canis Majoris! XD

Unless the supermassive black hole in the middle of the Milky Way counts!

Lots, the nebulas, galaxies and dust clouds.

Lol, a black hole is not judged by it's size, but its G strength. Even small ones can destroy Canis Majoris in some time. The black hole in the center of our galaxy is a "medium" supermassive one. It it were, it would release very intense radiation like M87.

Miley Cyrus's Sexyness > That beacon :3

Erm...

Why would you always talk about Hannah Montana series eh?

Andromeda is a galaxy, and our nearest largest one.

Not a big surprise really. I already knew that our Sun was extremely small compared to other stars. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if, in twenty years that last star would be considered very small.

I just want to see a trinary star now. :P

Would you like me to mention Castor is a six star system? Amazing eh?:classic:

I'd love to see the last one go supernova. Now that would be a light show.

If you are immortal, you'll able to see Eta Carina explode. Unless there's a random one showing off which are a one in a million chance. The last supernova exploded here in our galaxy is in the Tauros, the Crab nebula.

After studying Astronomy for how long, it makes me realize that we are just specks in the vastness of the universe!

Last edited:

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
  • Dayum O_O

I mean, I always knew there were bigger stars than the sun, but the size comparison between them all is what really had me in shock.

That last one was effing huge ._.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Wow...I absolutly love everything to do with space, it was the only part in science that I actually enjoyed and wanted to learn about, but happened to be the smallest topic we had. I knew the Sun was a small star, but I had absolutly no idea it was that small in comparison. It makes you realise what a tiny place we live in but also they we surely can't be the only living things in this massive universe. I really wish we could know everything about our universe...it kind of makes me feel lonely that our planet could be the only one with life on.

I want to live in the solar system with the blue star XD

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Why would you always talk about Hannah Montana series eh?

Miley Cyrus gives me nosebleeds :3.

What I do wonder is how old that thing is. If it is like millions of years old... then I think we can expect a pretty big light show from it in some years to come...

Unless Miley starts posing sexiely :D

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • This doesn't surprise me much, our galaxy, in respect to the rest of the Universe, is nothing more than a grain of sand...

PkMn Trained

Uber trainer
    Years
  • I want to live in the solar system with the blue star XD

No you Dont!

Sorrt of scary, really. I dont think we are alone, whether or not we find our twins on a distant planet remains to be seen.

The "Light Show" May have already happened. It would take a great expanse of time for the light of Eta Carinae to reach earth.

1 light year= distance light can travel in a year

Light speed= 600,000 smething( Measured in seconds)

Distance is amazing, it takes 11 seconds for the light of our sun to reach earth. Talk aout view to the past!

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • I honestly miss Pluto being an actual planet. 'Tis too bad. I mean, it's nice that they let it be a dwarf planet, but I feel sorry for the god they named it after. His brothers continue being planets while Pluto goes on to become a dwarf planet.

I suppose my grasp at astronomy isn't as great as my liking of astrology, but...

Anyways, there are definitely gonna be planets or stars out there much bigger than the sun. After all, there are many undiscovered galaxies just waiting for us to find, and maybe even more than just that. the universe really is a fine wonder. I've always loved mysteries, and the universe is one of my favorites. I don't think the universe's mystery will be solved for a long, long time... And that's why I like the mystery so much.

Vincent.

//**
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 2, 2010
    They're amazing!
    It's really big and amazing! Well the universe is really big!

Back