• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime created from games?

Years
  • So we have have the Games created from Anime thread, its time we had a Anime created from games thread.

Do you like Anime that have been based of games?

Which are you favorite ones?

Is there any that have been better or worse than the game?

Have you watched any but not played the game?

Do you complete the game before you watch them?

My favorite Game based Anime is Dangan ronpa even though I have never played the games (I want to though). At the moment I am watching Valkyria chronicles (another game I have not played). Whist I really don't like the Pokemon anime (but I love Origins however).

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Never playing the original games prior to watching the anime of Danganronpa, as an anime itself it was rather disappointing, especially since I'm a huge fan to both the battle royale and mystery genres. I watched a playthrough of the game afterwards and I liked it a lot more, but the anime at most for me was nothing but average.

I've heard of the whole "free-time" thing they had in the game to get to know the characters better, however, without that the characters felt bland, barely any character development and when each of the killers died I really didn't feel anything or any emotion to what was described by each of my friends who had grown heavily attached to the game.
    The story itself told in the anime just felt half-assed and just skips through the story and cases so fast. It is especially because of the fast pace the anime went through that you couldn't really connect with any of the characters too.

I think if the pace had somewhat been slower and maybe more than just the 13 episodes given, it would have definitely done better, but currently DR is sitting on average or even slightly below average.
    Needless to say, if the second season of Super DR comes out, I wouldn't mind watching to see how badly or better they do.

Devil Survivor 2: The Animation was also a somewhat disappointment considering I loved the first couple of episodes. Like DR, I never played the game, but the concept of it I really liked but I just somewhat ended being really bored from a few episodes after till the end. It started great but just turned really bland, but I stayed and finished it to the end. Also there were a couple of great characters I liked there, but unless you're the main character (as well as the main female and best friend), you should consider most of the dead.
    I can't remember most of it since I watched when it aired and forgot about it, but all I remember was boring-ness.

Kiniro no Corda I've only seen the newest series, but that was just plain okay. Shigatsu pretty much tears it down to pieces though.

Only ones I have somewhat enjoyed is Steins;Gate (currently watching), Yo-Kai Watch (only watched a few episodes) and of course Digimon except unlike saifors I have taken a liking to Xros Wars (though I have put it on hiatus for a bit).

Best anime from a game though for me is Inazuma Eleven (it's my second favourite anime overall too). Although I know it's based off the game, the game and the anime I've just found out came out at the same time apparently? IE comes out as my favourite sports anime and the game itself is pretty alright, but I still have a preference for the anime than the game.

Curious to anyone who has played and watched the Tale's series and it's adaptation. Haven't play the game, but anime looks cool.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I love anime based on games.
    But it's almost 50-50 for what I start first =D I either first watch anime and then play game or play the game first, I don't really have preferred style.
    But since anime gives me more time to enjoy games I liked, they are must-watch for me =)

The best... well, that is tough... I want to say Persona, I really want, but... Neptunia anime was what got me to Nep game =D
    So... I'll say Persona 3 movies =D

Years
  • To be fair most of the dislike I give to Digimon Xros Wars was after it ended and looking back on it, and the characters, and realizing that Taiki is an absolute Gary Stu, there's barely any character development, Tagiru took the hot-blooded protagonist so far it became just plain irritating and how much filler episodes with no relevant progress whatsoever there were.

Also forgot to mention the megaman battle network and starforce anime, BN was alright and I really enjoyed watching starforce.

pkmin3033

I don't mind anime based on games...it depends on the game, really, and how far the show adapts it.

Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation was both fantastic and disappointing - fantastic because it captured the essence of the games perfectly, but disappointed because it tried to do all three games in twelve episodes, which made it feel disjointed and random; it couldn't quite seem to make up its mind whether it wanted to be an adaptation or an original work...which might have been intentional, thinking about it. xD

Sengoku Basara: Judge End wasn't as good as The Last Party, which I thought was pretty weird. Both adapt the third game, but take slightly different views on it - the show focused on the characters who never got any notice in the first two seasons. I was very happy to see Tsuruhime, amongst others, but they took the dull ending route. The Last Party, by contrast, focused on the main four characters to the exclusion of everyone else...but it took the ending route where Nobunaga comes back from the dead, and I LOVED that ending in the game. Plus Nobunaga is voiced by Norio Wakamoto, which should be self-explanatory. It felt more epic in scope and conveyed more of an essence of the game - plot is secondary; all that matters is flashy moves and dramatic dialogue. The Last Party had that in spades. Judge End didn't.

Tales of Symphonia: The Animation was terrible. It didn't do the game justice at all...and it took FOREVER to come out. The Phantasia animation was a fair adaptation of the game's story, though - Phantasia took a long time to explain things. The anime launched right into it and felt a lot more epic in scope. I've not watched the Abyss anime and I don't plan to, although I will watch the Vesperia and Zestiria prequels somewhen.

Typically, I like to play the game first, so I'm familiar with the source material...it prevents game spoilers, which are far more damaging than episode spoilers to me, as I will (or should be) playing the game longer than watching the show. I haven't watched the anime adaptation of Atelier Escha & Logy yet for this very reason...plus I'm still holding out slim hopes for a dub. xD

...oh, and Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker is the WORST anime film I have ever seen. It's one of the worst anime I have ever seen, in fact. I'd probably rather watch Chaos;Head again than force myself to sit through that again. Much as I like Cassandra as a character...gods, what were they thinking. Western games do not make good anime. Not even when they're as good as Dragon Age. That said, the Dante's Inferno movie was interesting for it's varied direction in art style...but it was pretty mindless, and not very subtle. The game itself was more than just a God of War clone, but the anime didn't portray it as such, which was disappointing.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Is there such thing as a Harvest Moon anime? It could be either Slice of Life or Romance.

There's no such a thing, but I would surely watch that lol.

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan is kinda similar to some degree to Harvest Moon, and is also an adaptation from a game. I found it really silly, but it might fit your needs.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The ones I've seen were mostly made to promote the games so they left out... well, the core point of the game in order to fit the entire journey into 12 episodes. I've really only seen Devil Survivor 2 and Dangan Ronpa, both of which had all of the gameplay features edited or cut.

Devil Survivor 2 wasn't that bad, but it was so so different from the game... like so drastically that I kind of became frustrated because I would literally spend hours trying to beat certain levels and the main character in the anime would defeat three levels in one episode xD Also, it was super super rushed so they ended up introducing like 10 playable characters in one episode and killing them 10 minutes later, which is NOT what happened at all in the game; well, some could die but never more than 4-5 I think (depends on which combo) and not at the points that they died in the anime and not at the same time. However, despite this, I think the anime did one thing better than the game and it was episode 11 (I think) with Io. It conveyed a lot of emotion that was really lacking in the game, as we mostly got an earful of what Yamato thought.

Dangan Ronpa wasn't that bad either... also just rushed. I watched a playthrough of the game on Youtube and while that was super long it was more enjoyable at times because the investigation parts were the focus of the games while the trials were the focus of the anime, not surprisingly. I enjoyed investigations more.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Devil Survivor 2 wasn't that bad, but it was so so different from the game... like so drastically that I kind of became frustrated because I would literally spend hours trying to beat certain levels and the main character in the anime would defeat three levels in one episode xD Also, it was super super rushed so they ended up introducing like 10 playable characters in one episode and killing them 10 minutes later, which is NOT what happened at all in the game; well, some could die but never more than 4-5 I think (depends on which combo) and not at the points that they died in the anime and not at the same time. However, despite this, I think the anime did one thing better than the game and it was episode 11 (I think) with Io. It conveyed a lot of emotion that was really lacking in the game, as we mostly got an earful of what Yamato thought.
    DeSu2 was pretty much Yamato ending with some important "social link" events.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    i was super excited when they announced an anime for dangan ronpa, but i ended up being disappointed. it wasn't bad, but the damn thing was so rushed. i wouldn't mind an anime adaptation of sdr2 but i'd hope for something more slow-paced.

also, i pray every single day for an ace attorney anime. pls

XxNaughtyxNickyxX

makyo's fab beauty
    Years
  • DRAMAtical murder had anime and ova based off it
    i love the games, my favorite
    ChäoS;HEAd is very good too in my opinion the vn and the anime

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Most of the time, I watch first before playing the game, so I got no say in this. But I do know a lot of them. DMMd is one, as well as the Nitroplus science trilogy Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes. But then again, most of the games are Visual Novels anyway, which doesn't see much release outside Japan.

There's only so few of them that I actally played. Two of them that I know I own are Persona 3 and Persona 4. I've just barely scratched the two of them before my PS2 died though. I've watched P4 before I played the game, but I'm planning to complete P3 before watching the anime.

Back