• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime You're Currently Watching?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Just got done watching Episode 31 of My Hero Academia. I gotta say, I've never watched an anime that's touched me in so many ways.

Spoiler:
    Maybe they will soon. :b

Watching B: The Beginning. Have seen half of it, will finish off the other half tomorrow. Let's see how it goes. Its been pretty decent so far. Enjoyable is what I'd call it, if nothing else.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Currently enjoying Darling in the Franxxx and Mahoutsukai no Yome. Occasionally watching Boruto but I dropped out when it diverted from 'wow first mission' to 'run around the village' the next episode at some point.

Watching B: The Beginning. Have seen half of it, will finish off the other half tomorrow. Let's see how it goes. Its been pretty decent so far. Enjoyable is what I'd call it, if nothing else.

Saw that on Netflix, think I'll give it a go with a few others on there.

Years
  • Started watching things again. Watched Steins; Gate episode 1 tonight. Also finished off Anime-gataris (holy hell those final 3 episodes were fun) and watched episode 131 of Dragon Ball.

Anime-gataris is totally worth a watch, though it's not something someone new to the medium should just dive into as there will be so many references that fly over your head. Hell, there were dozens that flew over mine.

Years
  • Been mostly watching Boku no Hero and Kakegurui since I finished Just Because recently. Need to start Steins;Gate soon. I'm really enjoying BNHA so far and Kakegurui is alright.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • -HugTo PreCure
    -Card Captor Sakura: Clear Card Hen
    -Beyblade Burst Evolution
    -Pokemon The Series Sun and Moon Ultra Adventures

And there was also some one with fairies i forget the name of. But i watch it with my brother.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Boku no hero academia every saturday!
    Sanrio boys, but I am not sure if I'll continue ...

Beside that, I watched Erased and Aggretsuko a few days/weeks ago and I did not started any other anime yet. I have to focus on some work I have to get done, and I know it will just be another distraction.

And I don't know if my next one will be an anime or a drama, we'll see!

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Boku no hero academia every saturday!
    Sanrio boys, but I am not sure if I'll continue ...

Beside that, I watched Erased and Aggretsuko a few days/weeks ago and I did not started any other anime yet. I have to focus on some work I have to get done, and I know it will just be another distraction.

And I don't know if my next one will be an anime or a drama, we'll see!

Is Academia really as good as everyone says? It looks extremely generic to me.

Years
  • Is Academia really as good as everyone says? It looks extremely generic to me.

I was sceptical at first as well but it really is very good. I wouldn't say as good as everyone says, but definitely good. There's some great characters and the animation, sound and pacing are all top notch. The story isn't incredible but it's solid.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I was hoping it'd be beyond its base plotline, otherwise why the hype?

The whole lone superhero/power one out was in a very bad Disney channel original movie from 2000. Hardly that interesting.

Years
  • I was hoping it'd be beyond its base plotline, otherwise why the hype?

The whole lone superhero/power one out was in a very bad Disney channel original movie from 2000. Hardly that interesting.

It's not really a "lone hero" story at all. That's part of why it has so much hype. There's a large number of characters and they all get a decent amount of attention. To each their own but I'd say it's worth giving a try. It exceeded my expectations to say the least.

Years
  • It's incredibly generic. Standard 2010s Shounen Jump fare.

I think it's alright but until he writes an interesting villain that's on screen for more than 2 chapters it's not going to be more than a 5 or 6/10 series.

I gave it a 7/10.
    I have to agree though, they wrote Stain out too soon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I believe both of you. This'll probably be a one and done for me.

It's weird though, I've seen reviews and one said something like Academia was the next generation of shounen because it was so well written, etc.

I'm baffled. It's the same shounen stuff I grew out of 15 years ago.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Is Academia really as good as everyone says? It looks extremely generic to me.

I was wondering the same at first so it took me some time to give it a try. But I love it. And I do not like what's the overly popular stuff usually (there was some exceptions).

I really liked it, even in the first 5 minutes of the anime. But at first yeah I was hesitating. Many person asked me if it is really that ood and I have to say, yes. Maybe some doesn't love it as much as others, but it is worth a try. I have to pick up the manga when I have some time to read.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    It's incredibly generic. Standard 2010s Shounen Jump fare.

I think it's alright but until he writes an interesting villain that's on screen for more than 2 chapters it's not going to be more than a 5 or 6/10 series.

After that first episode, a 6 is far too generous. I'd say 4.

Literally just as predicable as I ever could've imagined. Nothing remotely clever, bland characters we've all seen thousands of times and comedy, and concept. The concept is very bad. 80% of the population is super powered, that's vast majority, IE, heroes shouldn't have fans or be cherished or worshipped. That's everyone.
    The idealization of heroes at such a high percentage makes no sense structurally. It essentially functions like our world, a Marvel film, or even One Punch Man, but in those, it at least all makes sense.

They did nothing with their concept at all.

Bland as bland, and I'm stunned this dime a dozen show got any attention at all, let alone the popularity it acheived.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I like My Hero Academia, and have read most of the manga and watched only half of the anime but I agree it feels generic at times. I like the concept of a superhero world where people train to be superheroes (or just heroes like they call it, but clearly they're superheroes) and make a career out of it. But the characters aren't written that great. Some problems I have with Deku and Bakugo:

Deku is suppose to some underdog but he like most shonen protagonists gets a lot of special treatment and feels like the chosen one. In almost every arc he overexerts and injures himself from usage from One-For-All but all of that never has any lasting consequences.

Bakugo most of the time is just foul mouthed and rude all the time with a inferiority complex. But he's reduced to unfunny comedic relief all the time and gets away with the things he says, one of them being telling Deku to basically kill himself. They even praised him one time for being foul mouthed.

I think people like this show because of its quirky and fun characters and flashy battles. And it's an anime about superpowers and heroes, and superheroes and anime are all the craze these days too. So it's no surprise that my hero academia is so popular.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I tend to rate shows after I've seen them, not just an episode. I mean I don't actually give series numbers any more but whatever.

Don't see a problem with their hero agency/ranking stuff. 80% of the population have quirks but loads of those are rubbish powers and loads of others just don't choose to be heroes. It's not like 80% of the population are running around in spandex saving people.

Training arcs, overcoming the impossible enemy with the help of your friends, tournaments, i like all of that shit. 5 or 6 is a reasonable score based on my enjoyment even though it isn't a particularly unique series. I also quite like the frog girl.

It was exactly the series I was expecting. Go with your gut from the synopsis instead of reviews in the future. You know how anime nerds like to drum up hype. Especially tumblr and shows with cute boys to ship.

Last edited:
    Back