• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARACHNOPHOBIA

Years
  • 1 Can you handle spiders without losing your shit?

Most definitely. I actually like spiders, and if I discover a spiderweb while I'm cleaning that looks still occupied I try not to destroy the spider's home if I possible. Spiders are very quiet guests that would rather hide behind your bookshelf or somewhere in an abandoned corner of your basement. They wouldn't dream of eatting your food or defiling your things. Spider's don't want to harm you either, 99% of the siders in my area are safe and not poisonous to people. In fact they can make good janitors because they eat other insects that are much peskier like roaches, clothes moths, mosquitos, bed bugs, fleas etc. I see spiders as allies like ladybugs are.

I am calm around a lot of things many people fear like spiders, bees, snakes, aggressive dogs...except mice for some reason. Sorry Annie. :(

2: Do you have any phobias?

Social phobia.

Most critters great or small would not make me nearly as anxious as being in busy congested areas where I can't move an inch, long lines, listening to people making a lot of noise-playing their music loud or shooting guns etc, strangers approaching me, annoying relatives and neighbors showing up unannounced, people going through my things--especially security at airports, authority figures judging me, interrogating me. I'll take my chances with spiders thanks!

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Depends. If it's a small spider I mostly leave it alone. A bigger spider though then yeah I take several steps back.

Heights is a big fear for me. High buildings I might be fine as long as I don't look down the window, but if I go hiking at a high place my legs gets very shaky.

Years
  • Living in a basement condo has hardened me up a bit against spiders...I'll leave them alone now assuming they're not huge spiders, and as long as they don't decide to dangle in front of me. Oh no, we are not doing that. Dangling doesn't mean I'm going to kill them, it just means that nope, they're getting caught and put outside now. Honestly, they would have a better time finding stuff outside my window than in places like inside my bathroom. Maybe.

Little story: the closest I've come to being too worried about a spider lately was one I went to go catch to put outside, and it reared its front legs up at me. Little bitty spider doing that...yeah I'm going to be wary of it suddenly lunging at me. It didn't, but yikes.

And I have fears, but I don't know if I would class any of them as a "phobia", so.

Deleted member 691924

Arachnid enthusiast here. I have been handling tarantulas (and geckos) at home on and off since 2011. They're very intelligent animals which need to be cut some slack tbh. AMA, anyone?

As for me? I fucking loathe roaches and the crickets I need to feed my geckos with (the things you do for love). No thank you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I wish I was used to spiders, living in Australia and all, but yeah nah. I'm terrified of them. I'm okay with small ones, but anything bigger than an Australian 50c coin starts to freak me out. Australian spiders are really unnerving.

I fear a lot of other things but I don't think I really consider them extreme enough to be phobias.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Ophidiphobia (fear of snakes)

No surprise to me that Indiana Jones was afraid of these things.

(Although I do think Arbok is kinda cute. For a snake.)

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • I'm not big on spiders but I'm fine with them so long as they aren't crawling on me.

I think I have Athazagoraphobia, the fear of being forgotten.

Years
  • I'm not afraid of spiders and I actually like spiders.

I'm afraid of mice and rats. I hate them so much.

Years
  • Spiders are starting to grow on me. I still wouldn't be comfortable to take them with my hands but I enjoy looking at them. I even bought a cool device to catch them without harming them, this way I can move them freely if needed.

There's a spider near my bathroom, she's been here for months now. I don't disturb her and she never disturbed me, she even help with small annoying bugs like flies or mosquitoes. She was attacked by another spider once, who was way bigger than her. I had to quickly separate them because I didn't wanted her to potentialy lose and being eaten.

As for phobias, not that I know of.

SusieSue

Grass Type only
    Years
  • I don't like spiders, centipedes and everything which has more limbs than I do. Though I don't think that they all should be killed with fire, but I prefer not to see those anywhere near me or at my place... And if so, then I won't be able to kill it with my slipper... Though I think that placing various sticky traps and repellents as mentioned here around might save me and my place from those.

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I aint about the spider life imma be real

do i have any phobias? i guess heights.... i dunno

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I don't mind spiders as long as they stay away from me. I think all the ones living at my home are alive which is good bc I have no flying and annoying bugs around because of them.

I'm afraid? (If that's really it) of crowded places. I'm a little claustrophobic as well.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I hate spiders and will absolutely freak out at the slightest sight of one.

I also don't like clowns irl specifically. I just don't like insects at all really.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • I enjoy spiders though I am cautious of them. I try to not allow my fear make me ignorant of them.

I have a lot of common fears such as anything meant to be scary, horror films, things like Slender Man, etc.
    I believe my most notable fear would be animatronics and Freddy Fazbear the most out of all of them. I am also mindful of fursuited folk for similiar reasons.

Years
  • I don't like any bugs in general, but I don't freak out. I just get someone else to get rid of them lol.

Phobias...I don't have "phobias," just slight fears of the most random stuff. Does anyone get stage fright easily? Or fear of crowds? Just curious. I also have a slight fear of being in photographs. I presume the ladder is just me.

Back