• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Shiny Pokemon really worth the effort?

Years
  • To me, not for competitive. I do like having shiny Pokemon; it's just that I find myself to commit breeding/hunting one Pokemon with a different color, let alone acquiring one with the nature, egg moves and IV spread that you want. But if I find a random one in the wild by chance, I'll catch it and store it a PC box as "trophy."

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
    Years
  • I do not see the point. Hours upon hours, just to get a Pokémon with different colouring is a waste of time. Yeah they're cool when you randomly find one in a play through, but the novelty wears off quickly - in my experience at least.

Years
  • I will admit, sometimes I get jealous of people who have massive collections of shinies that they tend to rack up rather quickly (looking at you, Marriland...). But it's not anything that I go out of my way to get nowadays, although if I do get my hands on one it's certainly something i'll go with regardless.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Personally I think not. Shinies aren't any stronger and the different colors often don't look any better than the regular color scheme, sometimes even worse. (There are many exceptions though.) I don't feel it's worth spending hours to get one. Surely, I'm happy and catch one when I happen to meet one, but it's too much effort to actually look for it.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i tried shiny hunting yesterday, i lost my patience and stopped. im gonna try today and maybe wednesday on hording. i think it's nice to be able to catch a shiny that has the OT as your name xD

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • Also I'm one of those dummies who feel bad breeding tons and tons of mon only to release them. ;m;

Don't worry, I feel the same way. I felt terrible releasing all those Piplup after my failed attempt at the Masuda Method. :( I gave a couple of them homes, but I couldn't do it for all of them.

I probably couldn't do the Masuda Method again for exactly that reason :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    no not at all. most of the colors look terrible and i have limited patience for something so tedious that doesn't do anything for you

Years
  • I have mixed feelings about shiny Pokemons.
    On one hand, it's rare, look quite good and it's pretty ego-boosting to show it around to friends.
    On the other hand, I have the constant bad luck of only getting shiny version of common Pokemon with below average stats and using them to fight against others in multi have been a humiliating experience.

Having a full blown collection of shiny pokemons that can stand up for themselves in multi battle would be quite a feat and I salute those who have.

Years
  • The reason a lot of people go through the trouble of breeding the perfect shiny, or capturing a shiny is for one simple reason: to show off! Especially to your friends, haha. As Furious said, it's really ego-boosting when you hear your friends go on about your shiny. It's a great feeling. :)

I personally feel that if you're constantly failing at breeding a shiny Pokémon, the trial and error you went through in order to hatch that shiny is especially rewarding. Sure, hatching a shiny on your first try is nice and all, but personally, I don't feel that sense of accomplishment, and it becomes less rewarding.

The same goes for catching shinies. Encountering one on the get-go is really amazing, but I feel like I didn't really earn it. As opposed to trying over and over and then finally finding one. It's a great feeling and gives you a sense of pride. You worked for that shiny. It wasn't just handed to you.

Whether you keep hatching or catching shinies one after the other, the sense of accomplishment you had originally just fades away, and getting one just isn't as rewarding. I think so, at least. :P

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Hell yeah, I do think shinies are worth it.
    For example, if I dislike a Pokemon's normal color scheme and prefer it shiny color scheme instead, I will absolutely breed for a shiny. I'm all about the aesthetic.

Also, obtaining a bunch of shinies does give you a sense of accomplishment. I used to not care for shiny collecting but I started doing TSV hatching a few months ago and I've been hooked. I'd say they're definitely worth the extra effort, since they are more special :-]
    (Only with competitive shinies though... I don't really care about trophy shinies, so I wouldn't be willing to spend a lot of time on those, haha)

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2015
    There are just too many hacked shinies out there for real ones to really matter. I found a shiny Hoothoot in SS, but traded it soon after for a *facepalm* shiny... legit... Gyrados :(

Years
  • at first i though that shiny pokes are cool, but now i am just looking for a good game, i dont care about shiny rates, but if they are low ex 1/500 i may be a shiny hunter

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • To me, not for competitive. I do like having shiny Pokemon; it's just that I find myself to commit breeding/hunting one Pokemon with a different color, let alone acquiring one with the nature, egg moves and IV spread that you want. But if I find a random one in the wild by chance, I'll catch it and store it a PC box as "trophy."

I totally agree, shinies are more like trophies than anything else. I do the same when I run into a shiny (has only happened about 4-5 times), just catch it & store it in my PC. I've never used a shiny as an active member of my team.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • I guess it just depends on what you want from the game.

I never used to be that interested in actively hunting for them, I just hoped i'd get a random encounter but never ever got one. (apart from an eevee that I accidentally killed. But we dont talk about that.)

But since I dont to competitive battling I kinda got bored with post game and decided to try it, so yeah for me its worth it. It takes a lot of time and patience but its exciting when you finally get the encounter.

ShinySquirtleSquad

ShinySquirtleSquad
    Years
  • I don't go out of my way to get shiny's however if I'm breeding anyway I try to use the Masuda method. Also if you just run into one of them in the wild it is one of the best feelings.

shhimsleepin

DreamEater
    Years
  • I enjoy the random "shiny" mon popping up, as opposed to looking and farming for hours to get one. Although now with wondertrade it would be fun to send people shinies for shits and giggles. All in all I prefer to randomaly run into them and have to find a way to cath them rather than prepare.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I ended up getting into the craze of shiny hunting back in 2014, but my sort is different as I don't run away unless I'm soft resetting for a shiny, otherwise I fight to level up. The reason people value shinies is because they are extremely rare to come by, and even though the odds have increased significantly, it still doesn't make them common.

Running into a shiny is sometimes a thrill as you wouldn't want to faint it, as it is an extremely low chance of it appearing, so yeah, it's more of a trophy. I've never battled with any shinies apart from the red gyarados.

Back