• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a Retro Gamer?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I love old school games because it's what we grew up on. Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Kirby. I saw that I could download Zelda on my 3DS and I needed it right then and there.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
    Years
  • I'm a retro gamer as well. I love to play on my N64 a lot, and on my gameboy color :P. I love going back to play the Gen 1 games of Pokemon, my Pokemon Yellow still saves miraculously enough! The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is also high up on my list of all-time favorite games, I also get the urge to play the heck out of it during the month of October.

Years
  • I am a mix of modern and classic *cough*sonicgenerations*cough*

My first system was an NES, then the SNES. Skipped over the 64 since I always played my friends and got a Gamecube when it first came out. I consider GBA a classic too, especially when compared to today's handhelds. But the top top TOP golden oldie for me is Sonic the Hedgehog 1 through 3. I've played some many times it's not even funny.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I loath the NES...sorry :(

Don't feel bad! I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't hate it, but I don't worship it either. I acknowledge what it did for gaming, the great games on it, etc, it's just...not my cup of tea, I should say. The games are a bit more difficult for me to get into. I do have an NES though and one game for it and I kind of want to expand my NES collection, but kind of don't. Honestly, I've been spoiled by saving in later games so...yeah. While some people find older graphics hard to go back to, something I don't mind at all, I find it hard to go back to a feature like lack of saving. No thanks! Of course, Zelda got that right so...I wouldn't mind picking that up. And because who doesn't want a copy of the original Legend of Zelda? I mean, let's be real!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Don't feel bad! I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't hate it, but I don't worship it either. I acknowledge what it did for gaming, the great games on it, etc, it's just...not my cup of tea, I should say. The games are a bit more difficult for me to get into. I do have an NES though and one game for it and I kind of want to expand my NES collection, but kind of don't. Honestly, I've been spoiled by saving in later games so...yeah. While some people find older graphics hard to go back to, something I don't mind at all, I find it hard to go back to a feature like lack of saving. No thanks! Of course, Zelda got that right so...I wouldn't mind picking that up. And because who doesn't want a copy of the original Legend of Zelda? I mean, let's be real!
    If you're interested in building a NES library at all, then maybe you'd have better luck with a RetroN 5 or similar. I think that supports save states. Might make things more palatable

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm all about playing genuinely, so I would feel bad if I did that. :( I feel like I should actually play my NES because it has a neat story behind it. After my grandfather passed away, we were looking all through the house for pictures to make a collage for the funeral. We couldn't find any though. I think we found one small little album. His crazy ex-wife took them all. But what we did find was awesome. We found an NES in a cabinet, ***** and span, looks like it's never even been used. Reeked of wood, but otherwise perfectly clean (hadn't yellowed either) and totally usable. Obviously I kept it. But yeah, we went YEARS without knowing it was there! And who knows how long.

That being said though, it's kind of like a memento so I feel like I should invest some time and money into games for the thing at some point.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Retro is IMO anything up to the Dreamcast. On PC, anything up until the end of the DOS era (around 1999-2000).

I personally don't like the NES a whole lot because the difficulty was often very punishing. I mean, if you were going to recommend someone a Mario game to get into the series, you certainly wouldn't recommend the first SMB. It's nice to fool around in the game, to learn what it is, but not seriously play it. SMB3 on the NES is as far back as I'd go, and even then the All-Stars version for the SNES is vastly superior (better graphics, allows saving).

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I find it hard to go back to a feature like lack of saving. No thanks! Of course, Zelda got that right so...I wouldn't mind picking that up. And because who doesn't want a copy of the original Legend of Zelda? I mean, let's be real!

As much as I enjoyed it when I was younger, I was actually really disappointed to find they put that in the Zelda Collector's Edition on the GC. There's a lot of NES games I still enjoy, but the original LoZ doesn't make the cut for me. I would have happily forfeit that and the silly 2D sidescroller for LTTP. :c

Let's be real: Even Playfun couldn't play the first Zelda. :P

So if I could give you the first game out of the GC disc, I would, lol.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I play old games all the time. A good game is a good game. Sure modern games having advantages in what they can do from a technical perspective, but ain't no one telling me NES Tetris isn't a good time.

One thing I've always found fascinating when it comes to retro gaming is where people have their 'cut off' point so to speak. A lot of people my age for example are perfectly happy to play SNES games, but go back to NES and they just find the whole experience too jarring, be it the graphic, the sound and even the shape of the controller. Then with me, I'm fine to play the NES, but I can't play an Atari 2600 as the whole joystick and single button controller just feels so weird. Then there are even youngsters today that just can't cope with early N64 or PS1 polygonal 3D graphics. I think it has to do with what point you really get into gaming. Because I played the NES as a kid, I'm willing to accept a blocky sprite as being a legitimate character, but people who grew up with more graphically impressive games just see it as a still image that can be moved around with a controller.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • As much as I enjoyed it when I was younger, I was actually really disappointed to find they put that in the Zelda Collector's Edition on the GC. There's a lot of NES games I still enjoy, but the original LoZ doesn't make the cut for me. I would have happily forfeit that and the silly 2D sidescroller for LTTP. :c

I'm in the minority, I know. But ALttP is one of my least favourite Zelda games. I really prefer the NES version

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I'm not a retro gamer, but I really miss the days of pixel art and pixel everything.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I play old games all the time. A good game is a good game. Sure modern games having advantages in what they can do from a technical perspective, but ain't no one telling me NES Tetris isn't a good time.

One thing I've always found fascinating when it comes to retro gaming is where people have their 'cut off' point so to speak. A lot of people my age for example are perfectly happy to play SNES games, but go back to NES and they just find the whole experience too jarring, be it the graphic, the sound and even the shape of the controller. Then with me, I'm fine to play the NES, but I can't play an Atari 2600 as the whole joystick and single button controller just feels so weird. Then there are even youngsters today that just can't cope with early N64 or PS1 polygonal 3D graphics. I think it has to do with what point you really get into gaming. Because I played the NES as a kid, I'm willing to accept a blocky sprite as being a legitimate character, but people who grew up with more graphically impressive games just see it as a still image that can be moved around with a controller.

I think early 3D aged worse than old 2D pixel art, unless it's a game like Descent where the robots being polygonal actually look good with few polygons.

I vastly prefer 16-bit era to 8-bit. Games like SMW and Sonic are timeless.

Years
  • With all the information out today on the internet and having superior quality consoles like PS4, I find it hard to be as immersed with older technology. I do still challenge myself sometimes with some NES games, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • As much as I enjoyed it when I was younger, I was actually really disappointed to find they put that in the Zelda Collector's Edition on the GC. There's a lot of NES games I still enjoy, but the original LoZ doesn't make the cut for me. I would have happily forfeit that and the silly 2D sidescroller for LTTP. :c

I have Collector's Edition actually! But nothing beats having that original gold cartridge. :P

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Retro Gamer huh? Well I wasn't born early enough, to get the genuine experience from watching as Gaming evolved. But that doesn't mean that my first games weren't retro. Because of money issues and stuff, it took a while for my family to jump on the modern bandwagon of PS, Xbox, and Gamecube. So for the majority of my childhood was spent on NES, SNES, and the N64. I believe we had some Genesis laying around somewhere, but I digress.

Actually, I ended up getting some spherical game system that had 100 CLASSIC, RETRO GAMES all in ONE. And it was free, so most of the games I've first played were all Retro. I don't consider myself a Retro gamer, but I did have those games to play at my humble beginnings.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I am totally a retro gamer I think.
    I play more Nintendo64 than anything else (I am playing Banjo Kazooie right now lol)
    I play a lot with our NES. Or if I play emulator, I play zelda, or mario, or North and South, dr. mario, Ninja tutrtle 2 (love this game!!)...

I don't play that much on the newest console, not like I still play with my old ones. I am buying more nintendo64 games than any other console. If y have some money to spare, it won't be a wii game, it will be on a N64.

Years
  • I wish I could say I'm a retro gamer, but that would be a total lie. I'm easily won over by shiny graphics and things with active online compatability in one form or another, even if it's just a high score board.

Yes, sometimes nostalgia hits and I'll find myself rummaging through my old games, even if they aren't exactly retro. Most from the time of the original DS. But after a few months of having my 3DS, which I only got about this time last year, playing my old games felt really underwhelming. Almost unsettling, in a way? I don't know how, it just feels weird and uncomfortable to play with the old screen size again.

The only exceptions are games I'm really attached to, like the Tamagotchi Corner Shop series, and New Super Mario Bros.
    My Wii games, on the other hand, are a totally different story. The first thing I always play with friends when they come over is Kirby's Epic Yarn, which was totally ahead of it's time. Heck, sometimes my friend brings over the Hannah Montannah game, and I'm not afraid to admit it's fun as all hell.

I feel like I'm still in the era of the original Wii, but that's because I am. I don't have a Wii U yet, and I'm afraid that once I get one, I might not play some of my favorite Wii games as often.

In conclusion, I'm a sucker for pretty graphics.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I didn't really grow up with any game consoles, but I use all kinds of emulators. I played games for GB, GBC, SNES, GBA and N64. I prefer these above the NDS for example.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I do tend to look back to my old systems when I get bored of the newer things. Usually I'll look back and play something on my SNES or PSX such as kirby, donkey kong, rayman, digimon, there's just so much more to do on older systems.

Back