• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you fake?

Sirfetch’d

I realized today that I act differently around certain people. Apparently this is bad because after giving it some thought it made me question myself; am I fake? I feel like I don't know who the real me is because it changes sometimes depending on who I am around. Do you guys ever have this issue?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    I'm only fake, if I want to be nice to people I don't know. Other than that, it'll be easy to see if I can stand you.

Sirfetch’d

I'm only fake, if I want to be nice to people I don't know. Other than that, it'll be easy to see if I can stand you.

What about being nice to the people that you know? My issue is sometimes I feel like I try to hard to impress my friends and it makes me seem well...fake.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    What about being nice to the people that you know? My issue is sometimes I feel like I try to hard to impress my friends and it makes me seem well...fake.

Like I said, if I can't stand you...most likely, I'll just outright say it. I'm usually nice to people I know. If my friends, don't care about what I'm doing to impress them, I'l let it go. So in a way, I'm a bit fake.

I can see that it's insanely hard to be nice to friends, especially, if they barely pay attention to you. I hate that. Sometimes, you just gotta let tell people, what they need to hear, rather than what they want to hear. Better to know, who you actually like...you have feelings to, you know. So don't even try to, if it isn't worth, in the end.

Wow. I just preached a bit, didn't I? O.o

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I realized today that I act differently around certain people. Apparently this is bad because after giving it some thought it made me question myself; am I fake? I feel like I don't know who the real me is because it changes sometimes depending on who I am around. Do you guys ever have this issue?

Hm, I think of it as a slightly different way -how you interact with people, and with certain others? Those are all part of you - and all those parts form up as, well, you.

Well, that's what I think; we all have different worlds, and in that world, we have our personas. One persona might be in a different land, or one might actually be closer to you at home; in the end, all of your personas are all you, deep inside yourself.

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
    Nope. If I know you and if I am comfortable around you, it absolutely shows. If you're a stranger, I refrain from being offensive or vulgar out of respect. I try not to impress. If someone spends enough time around me, they will come to know a pretty vulgar young lady. I will respect you, but I won't hold back from being myself. Sex jokes, cursing, and offensive gestures abound.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Well, if your intentions are good, then I don't see a problem with what you are doing. Just how I see things.

Sirfetch’d

Hm, I think of it as a slightly different way -how you interact with people, and with certain others? Those are all part of you - and all those parts form up as, well, you.

Well, that's what I think; we all have different worlds, and in that world, we have our personas. One persona might be in a different land, or one might actually be closer to you at home; in the end, all of your personas are all you, deep inside yourself.

Never thought of it like that, but it makes so much sense really. Definitely the way I want to look at it from now on.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I act slightly differently around different individuals and communities, but that's still my response to them; it's what I have, consciously or not, decided is the best way of dealing with each circumstance.

What's fake about that? I wouldn't say anything's fake, really, unless one is lying outright. You want people like you, we all do. However we go about it, we all want to exist in harmony if we can help it — and we can, so that's what we do. It's a willingness to set aside 'being ourselves' for the greater good that keeps us together. If that's to be considered fake, still, what does it really matter? We're never ourselves, given all the influence from outside, so ourselves are our outsides.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

What's fake about that? I wouldn't say anything's fake, really, unless one is lying outright. You want people like you, we all do. However we go about it, we all want to exist in harmony if we can help it — and we can, so that's what we do. It's a willingness to set aside 'being ourselves' for the greater good that keeps us together.

Idk I guess I have always felt like it was fake because I was going extra lengths instead of just being me. Though the perspectives you and Shawn put on it makes me look at it much differently now. I guess it isn't fake, but us fulfilling our natural drive to impress people and be liked. Nothing wrong when you look at it like that.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I don't like the mentality of "fakeness" or "realness" describing how people act around other people. Chances are for a good majority of you, you're going to act differently around some people than others. When I meet someone initially, someone I don't know, then I am polite but firm, and I try to refrain from being offensive in any way. With my friends though, they deal with it lol.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    How do you go from "I act differently around different people" to "I'm fake"? Why can't the conclusion be "I'm a nuanced human being with different, sometimes conflicting, facets of my personality?"

Years
    I believe there are several different versions of being yourself: The you around strangers, The you around extended family, the you around immediate family and friends, the you around best friends, the you when you're alone.
    I don't think acting different around different relationships is fake. I think acting differently around people within the same type of relationship for personal gain is fake.

And by that standard I am almost entirely artificial.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've never given the term fake much thought, but thinking about it enrages me. It's literally defined as acting different around different people. That is so stupid. Everyone acts different around different people. If you didn't, you would probably end up in a lot of arguments, fights, and other scenarios that you don't want to be in, specifically most likely being fired from your job. You simply can't act the same around everyone.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Most people can relate to acting differently depending on the crowd. Even if it's just a minor thing like acting more silly when with friends as opposed to co-workers, etc. I wouldn't call that being fake, just acting according to environment. When I think of people being 'fake' I think of people who consciously lie to fit in with those around them at the time.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I don't consider myself fake. I consider myself struggling to find the real me. I've always had this problem for the longest time. With so much trauma with trying to be myself, I feel like it weighs me down and makes it much harder to know the real me.

Etherion

I act differently towards different people....

Back