• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you satisfied with this generation's Pokédex missing the vast majority of Pokémon?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I do not like this not including every Pokemon thing. I never will. I get that there is a 1000 Pokemon, but come on. We all have our favorites and it is sad when our favorites just...don't exist in a generation altogether.

GF's excuses are hilariously weak, too. There's just no excuse for this. Pokemon is one of the top franchises in the world, it deserves better.

With that said, the selection in S/V is okay. I was really glad to see Deerling/Sawsbuck and Houndour/Houndoom again. They are some of my top designs and were sorely missed last generation.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    What I mostly noticed is the large absence of rock Pokémon. No fossils at all - which already is enough of an explanation - Nosepass, Aron, Magcargo, Geodude, Rhyhorn, etc... Why this rock type hate in this generation?

Years
    • Online now
    I do not like this not including every Pokemon thing.

To be fair, no region ever did (except Kanto in RBY). I guess what players might want is being able to trade Pokémon from outside the regional dex as in Gen 3-7 games. But from RBY to BW all regions had only around 150-200 Pokémon, and Paldea doubled that number on day-one without any DLC/post-game shenanigans so far.

What I mostly noticed is the large absence of rock Pokémon. No fossils at all - which already is enough of an explanation - Nosepass, Aron, Magcargo, Geodude, Rhyhorn, etc... Why this rock type hate in this generation?

Yeah, I noticed that for some reason Rock is the rarest type in Paldea, with only 19 species. Meanwhile there are 36 Dragon types... I guess Dragon Pokémon being "rare" is a thing of the past 🙂

I don't know if this choice was made after Rock being likely one of the least popular and used types but some of the type distribution feels weird. Still, we have Garganacl, Glimmora, Coalossal, Lycanroc, Tyranitar and its Paradox counterpart so there are great choices despite the low quantity. Klawf also has a nice gimmick if you can get past its disheartening stats.

Years
    Ekans is my favourite Pokemon and I was very disappointed that Ekans & Arbok didn't make it into Sword & Shield, I was very pleased they both returned along with Seviper in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl and Seviper also made it into Scarlet & Violet but I want a game with all 5 Snake Pokemon (Ekans, Arbok, Seviper, Silicobra & Sandaconda) I really hope Ekans & Arbok return in the DLC for Scarlet & Violet along with Koffing & Weezing

Ariados is one of my favourite Pokemon that also returned in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl but was missing from Sword, Shield, Scarlet & Violet its a very underrated Pokemon and it needs its time to truly shine.

Toucannon must be the only region bird that hasn't been in any Switch game so far it was amazing for me in Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon it was on my team for all 4 games in Alola and it really needs to return along with Swellow, Pidgeot, Fearow, Noctowl & Dodrio.

There are so many other Pokemon that I like but too many to name them all.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    One thing I really don't like in this game is the lack of Pokemon.

Most of the water has the same Pokemon in them. The land feels vast but the lack of Pokemon means this game won't have a long life.

I hope the dlc adds pokemon but its kind of questionable why so many water pokemon were left out when theres so much water.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    One thing I really don't like in this game is the lack of Pokemon.

Most of the water has the same Pokemon in them. The land feels vast but the lack of Pokemon means this game won't have a long life.

I hope the dlc adds pokemon but its kind of questionable why so many water pokemon were left out when theres so much water.
    Counted Water-types in recent regional Dexes. Excluded things like Rotom and Castform. Also did not count the Pokemon not in Paldea normally (Froakie) or at all (Basculegion, Palkia, Oshawott...). May be off by one due to counting errors too, of course.

X/Y: 75/454 (16.5%)
    Sun/Moon (not Ultra): 57/301 (18.9%)
    Sword/Shield (base game): 60/400 (15%)
    Scarlet/Violet: 51/400 (12.8%)

Less than other regions, yes. But did some of them have way too many? Accounts for only one type of eighteen. Might have tried to equalize the number of Pokemon evolution lines per type this generation. Led to most Dragons reappearing (an uncommon type) and lots of Water-types missing (a very abundant type). (Failed a bit on Rock, however.)

Edit: May have slightly more total Pokemon than listed, technically, due to regional forms. Depends how you view Johto Wooper versus Paldean Wooper and the like.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    X/Y: 75/454 (16.5%)
    Sun/Moon (not Ultra): 57/301 (18.9%)
    Sword/Shield (base game): 60/400 (15%)
    Scarlet/Violet: 51/400 (12.8%)

Less than other regions, yes. But did some of them have way too many?

Other than RSE with 23% of its Pokédex being Water types 🙂, I don't think any game went that far. Well, in fact Paldea has actually more Water types than Hoenn, it's just that since Hoenn's dex had 200 Pokémon they seemed more in comparisson.

Years
    I didn't notice at all, maybe even considering the fact that a DLC will be released. I haven't started completing the pokedex yet, but I tried to catch most of the pokemon while playing. I don't mind not seeing all the pokemon in a game, but as I have always said, you should always allow players to have every existing pokemon in the game, because I think that's just fair and it also includes the "actually completing the pokedex" thing.

Back