• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Art Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    f3d01ace.jpg

Richi says we should believe in ourselves. It should be fun so tats not going to stop me from entering as some excitement needs to be going on around this part of the forum. So I have the contest, hopefully, and Anastasia's pokedex project to look forward too :D

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    What do you guys think about an art contest?

Of course, that question is really vague and doesn't take into account that we have to talk about loads of things like traditional medias vs. digital medias, experienced artists vs. less experienced, etc, but just throwing that out there, since Competitions has always been dominated by Graphics & Photography, and it's been a long standing issue to inject some of the other art sections in there. .-.

We finally got pixels, but what about the actual art gallery?

I second, third, and fourth this. G&P has always seemed to dominate (the one visual art category of PC that isn't stuff I'm into doing), and finally I can do pixel challenges again, which I love, but my real main forte is general art. Duking it out with the greats in another area I have some viable skill in sounds awesome!

I think contests would breathe the much-needed life into this main area as pixel art challenges seem to do to theirs. There are plenty of awesome regular artists here that may not do pixels or G&P, so a contest would give them a better chance to strut their stuff than doomed gallery threads. Surely it could entice talented people that don't even post their art at all to compete and get exposure, spark rivalries, shed more light on the presence of regular art in general, and of course have fun!

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    An art contest would be awesome. But I think it will only work well if "Style" isn't included in judging OR the judges have an equal view on all kind of art styles.

Jus' sayin' :P

Plus, we don't have a mod to confirm and accept them. D:

Years
  • An art contest would be awesome. But I think it will only work well if "Style" isn't included in judging OR the judges have an equal view on all kind of art styles.

Jus' sayin' :P

Plus, we don't have a mod to confirm and accept them. D:
    True about the style parts. Or, maybe, instead of just one judge, maybe we can have 2 or 3. =P I really like the idea of an art contest, but, are we going to make it weekly, monthly...? Well, I guess that's not so important to know yet. ^..^;

We need to ask the S-Mods and higher staff members while there's no art mod in this section. Ugh, I wish we had a mod around the Art Gallery. Maybe we could get our ideas approved to be made quicker. Well, at least we can ask for help and approval to the higher staff members.​

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I think having two or three judges is fine, but the problem therein lies that we'd have to pick people with different styles.
    Forgive me if I just haven't been scourging other galleries enough, but the variations in styles does not seem to be a particularly prevalent trait of the Pokecommunity Art Gallery. .-.

Regardless, I think since our number of entries will be rather low, giving a one-line comment or however much a judge wants to say about a piece would be very helpful, especially if we're not letting average joe members vote and post as to why they voted as such.

I hope I'm making sense, because I don't feel like I am. .-.

Also, because of the sheer nature of the Art Gallery atm, I think it should be monthly. .-.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I agree with all that, but though I do see plenty of style variation (as in most of our seasoned artists definitely have a distinct style they've developed), it's not radical enough to where I think it'd really affect judging IMO.

Monthly sounds good here, plus I think the kind of pieces that would be done for the contests would take longer to do than tags or pixel art. I know I take way longer to paint than to pixel.

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • I'm with Kina 100% on this, if it's a contest for this area, we only need to specialize on people who understand the usual for this area, right? I'm sure If something unusual was sumbitted, we could work with it, it's not like people here are narrow-minded or anything... At least, I don't find you guys that way. ^^;
    All I'm trying to say is; It might be best to just go for it and iron out the issues as they come as opposed to trying to sort out issues we don't have yet?

So, we'd be looking at a monthly contest with two or three judges who provide some sort of score and reasons why they gave that score.
    I think this sounds really good. I hope we can pull it off! :')

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Not quite sure if this thread should be here, but...
    A scanner is always the best choice IMO, it's just a matter of having a decent one. Even if you work on a larger scale, having access to a large format scanner is best. Digital cameras are built for photography with little else in mind.

aquadan

is searching for members
    Years
  • Art Zine

Hey So I'm currently working on an art zine.
    the Concept is a A5-sized 10pg book, It will contain some of my art (possibly cropped or zoomed in), maybe some little sketches and possibly a small b/w comic.

Two questions;
    1) what do you think of my idea?
    2) where is a good place to see my book (online wise)

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I think it's a brilliant idea, although it might work better as a journal which you keep updating rather than limiting it to 10 pages. That is, unless you have a specific theme / challenge in mind that you want to fit 10 pages, like say you want to make one piece of art a day for 10 days, then that would work. But I see no other reason for strictly limiting an "art-zine", especially considering 10 pages really isn't that much, and A5 paper is pretty small...

As for the other question, I don't really understand. If you mean like where can you upload it, there are many places, but if you mean like to showcase it specifically then you could look into a blog type thing. I use tumblr for my art journal and update whenever I make something, but you could upload the 10 pages and then leave it.

Years
  • Alrighty, I have some ideas for some more activity for the Art Gallery. Why don't I post it instead of asking the members here? Well, that's wouldn't make all that sense. I wanted to discuss ideas I had in mind that maybe you guys would like to have or not? Maybe you have some ideas of your own? Post an idea, possibly?

Pokemon Dex Project - Up and any artist can join in for the fun.

A Monthly Contest? - I think Loki suggested some sort of art contest, already, but I think we need a few more comments on this. I suggest for the Art contest to be a Monthly thing. Not everyone takes a few days to make a drawing. I think it would be helpful and have more time to those who don't draw as quickly as other people. Judges? Well, I can judge, but I think we'll need two more. Maybe someone who has more experience with looking at different art styles? Or maybe someone with more judging experience?

Contests with Oekaki? - That's a lot more dead than the Art Gallery, I have to say. Maybe we should have contests ONLY using the PC Oekaki? Give it some activity? We could revive two things at once, possibly. Plus, for those artists who don't want to download a program, all you do is sign up for the PC Oekaki and it's free. Quick and easy.​

I thought of having a duel or battle thing that they have for Pixel art, but I don't think that could work out. Maybe that's me, but I don't think it's quick and fast to draw or digital paint something as fast as it is to make pixel art or sprites. That's kind of the same for graphic arts as well. Icons and banners are a lot faster to make than it is for some people to make drawings. However, you guys might have a better idea than me.

Project Ideas?
    Holiday Projects? - I remember a project I took part in, the only thing is that it was pixel art, but it was a big thread where you posted pixel or sprite art relating to the Holiday. Then on Easter, it was a big Sprite/Pixel Pokemon Egg project. Very fun, maybe we could do it.​

So, what do you think? Have better suggestions? Have comments on the ideas? Lets see how things go and maybe we'll have more fun things to do here! =]

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I have a question about tablet's, and which ones are better. The reason I am asking is because I found two different Wacom tablets on sale for the same prica and I can't decide which is better. I have an idea, but I want to get the opinion of other artists here. So here they are:
    Bamboo Fun
    Intuos4 - Small
    I know that the latter is professional, but I'm also interested in programs that come with these and overall use. My main problem is size that is making me have trouble deciding.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Wheeee... jumping into the PC's visual arts section for no reason!

A Monthly Contest? - I think Loki suggested some sort of art contest, already, but I think we need a few more comments on this. I suggest for the Art contest to be a Monthly thing. Not everyone takes a few days to make a drawing. I think it would be helpful and have more time to those who don't draw as quickly as other people. Judges? Well, I can judge, but I think we'll need two more. Maybe someone who has more experience with looking at different art styles? Or maybe someone with more judging experience?
    I actually think that this would be a good idea, considering the amount of activity this particular forum gets in contrast with its various child forums. As for judges, I think a person with art experience over judging experience would be wisest because, hell, Simon Cowell might have tons of experience judging American Idol and The X Factor, but I sure as hell am not going to trust him to judge a writing contest. But yeah, a monthly contests sounds good, and this forum needs a bit more activity anyways because its always overshadowed by its child forums. Also, I'd volunteer to be a judge for a monthly art contest if that's all right with you.

So, what do you think? Have better suggestions? Have comments on the ideas? Lets see how things go and maybe we'll have more fun things to do here! =]
    This may be me playing on my own strengths, but maybe an art critique-a-thon or something. Looking at the rules of the forum then at the various "art reviews" posted on the forum, most of them just tell the artist nice things and a few scattered comments about how to improve. To those who go in-depth about the pieces, kudos to you, but I'm not really seeing it that often around here. Granted, I haven't been around this forum apart from two critiques that I've done so far, but still...

And umm yeah, that's about it.

Cobalt'Scizor

Wannabe Spriter/ROM Hacker
    Years
  • I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I can't find somewhere else that is suitable.

Yesterday, I posted a gallery in the Graphics & Photography section, and I can't find it. I'm guessing it's been deleted or moved or it might need approval but I'm not sure. Could someone please tell me:

1) If it's been deleted, why, so I can make a proper gallery
    2) If it's been moved, where, so I can see it
    3) If it needed to be approved, how long could it take.

Thank you.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I'm not a mod or anything but... >_>

After searching through your last-created threads, I don't see any that would fit the description you're giving. As in ones that were posted 'yesterday' and in the 'photography section'. As far as I know, the G&P forum doesn't have any actual rules that says your thread needs to be approved, only that you need to have at least four examples posted to get to keep the thread open.

That said, since you said that you posted it yesterday and are only realising it now, I'm guessing that you posted it in a hurry and somehow made a mistake like closing your browser window too fast, or not actually clicking the button before closing the browser window. I'm basing this purely on the fact that you were late in recognizing the problem because if your thread were locked it would still show. Also, PC doesn't delete threads unless they contain illicit material.

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
    Years
  • I have a question about tablet's, and which ones are better. The reason I am asking is because I found two different Wacom tablets on sale for the same prica and I can't decide which is better. I have an idea, but I want to get the opinion of other artists here. So here they are:

Bamboo Fun
    Intuos4 Small

I know that the latter is professional, but I'm also interested in programs that come with these and overall use. My main problem is size that is making me have trouble deciding.

I hope I'm not too late to answer, I have a bit to say on this matter ^^

My tablet is old: it's an intuos3 6x8. I've had it for more than 3 years and it hasn't failed me yet. I recommend the intuos line if you want something that's really long lasting and durable.

I've had friends buy the bamboo fun tablet and they claim that it also works pretty well. But I've noticed that there is a difference in the sensitivity levels, meaning that the lines didn't register the pressure as well (this could vary from person to person, but a lot of people are saying that for painting and drawing, intuos is the way to go).

Now, to answer your concerns about:

Size - In my experience, the tablet size really doesn't matter. In fact, I think that my tablet is too big. This of course varies from person to person, and many prefer larger tablets. The bamboo is significantly bigger for a cheaper price.

Programs - If you don't have any programs at all, and this is your first tablet, I recommend the Bamboo. I'll say this though: I'm not too fond of either of the programs listed since I've already been accustomed to the full versions of them (Mainly Photoshop CS3). But one of the best deals for a drawing program I've seen is "Paint tool SAI" (If you google it, it should be the second one on the SYSTEMAX website). It's about $63 and is excellent at painting and lineart (even more so than PS in some aspects).

Bottom line:

If this is your first tablet and you're trying to get a feel for it, go with the Bamboo. It's a lot cheaper and it comes with some software to get you started.

If you're really serious about art and you want something to last a long time and you're willing to cough up a few extra bucks, go with the intuos. The size doesn't really matter and it's great for painting/lineart.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back