• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Art Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I hope I'm not too late to answer, I have a bit to say on this matter ^^

My tablet is old: it's an intuos3 6x8. I've had it for more than 3 years and it hasn't failed me yet. I recommend the intuos line if you want something that's really long lasting and durable.

I've had friends buy the bamboo fun tablet and they claim that it also works pretty well. But I've noticed that there is a difference in the sensitivity levels, meaning that the lines didn't register the pressure as well (this could vary from person to person, but a lot of people are saying that for painting and drawing, intuos is the way to go).

Now, to answer your concerns about:

Size - In my experience, the tablet size really doesn't matter. In fact, I think that my tablet is too big. This of course varies from person to person, and many prefer larger tablets. The bamboo is significantly bigger for a cheaper price.

Programs - If you don't have any programs at all, and this is your first tablet, I recommend the Bamboo. I'll say this though: I'm not too fond of either of the programs listed since I've already been accustomed to the full versions of them (Mainly Photoshop CS3). But one of the best deals for a drawing program I've seen is "Paint tool SAI" (If you google it, it should be the second one on the SYSTEMAX website). It's about $63 and is excellent at painting and lineart (even more so than PS in some aspects).

Bottom line:

If this is your first tablet and you're trying to get a feel for it, go with the Bamboo. It's a lot cheaper and it comes with some software to get you started.

If you're really serious about art and you want something to last a long time and you're willing to cough up a few extra bucks, go with the intuos. The size doesn't really matter and it's great for painting/lineart.

Thank you so much for answering! I've already gotten the intous4 Small and I'm loving it, and this just reinforces my decision. Also, this is not my first tablet but is replacing by Bamboo Pen, so at first all I was looking for was a size upgrade but instead got a little bigger plus a lot better :D

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hmm, a bit random, but does anyone have any suggestions when it comes to drawing group pictures? Like, five to six full bodies standing in one picture?

I've always found proportioning multiple people in one picture is difficult for me....

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I was thinking drawing people separately would be good, but I feel like it might look a little inconsistent...? My style changes all the time- I have very poor consistency, so.....

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • So I just started PaintTool Sai.
    This was the first thing On did on it. I used the Paper Acrylic Brush for it. Do you guys have any brush preferance that you like to use on PaintTool Sai - Kinda don't really know what to use brush-wise)

Spoiler:

(Used Photoshop to color it)

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • Poll answer: I prefer a Flatbed Scanner but rarely have one to hand so a Digital Camera does the job.

A couple of small questions.

Who here does art commissions? (I was going to advertise work on deviantART and try to get some commissions).

How much on average do you charge per commission?

and finally, is it legal to do and sell fan-art on Pokemon?

Last edited:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I do art commissions on dA (or I would if I had customers), but you aren't allowed to sell things here on PC.

Making profit from copyrighted stuff is technically illegal but typically no action is taken. I personally don't do fanart commissions for my own reasons.

Years
  • Whoa, okay a little dead here.

*revives*

Okay, here's some ideas and things I'm trying to do for the Art Gallery.

Things I'm bringing back to activity:

Draw Me ... - It was a monthly drawing contest which I couldn't continue for quite a bit, but I will be bringing back. Also, you get a sweet emblem:
    drawmewinner.png

The Art PC Pokedex - Big Art project for the Art Gallery (new members ans helpers are welcomed!) that I'm finally getting helpers for. =] Also, for those who do submit work, you get another cool emblem!
    2vado20.jpg

Animation, bros. That's a pretty sweet emblem.

Ideas I have

Finish That Picture! - We start with an incomplete picture, and the next poster would finish it. Easy as that. However, I'm bringing it up in case anyone has a better idea for a game/something fun and if anyone has questions about it.
    Crit off! - I did read this idea months (possibly even a year ago) that a Critique contest would be cool. At first, I thought it was a boring idea, but then finally understanding how important and useful critiques are (I'm kinda talking about constructive crits), I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea.
    A big PC Art Collab picture - A big collaboration with the artists here on PC. Sorta like how G&P once had a art worm project once. It's much easier with an Art Worm for graphics, but I think if I find away to make a cool collab. with the people here on PC, I think it would be a very fun idea!

So, I want to post these ideas to you viewers of the Art Gallery. Like any ideas? Have anymore cool suggestions? POST 'EM HERE! I'd really love to hear some feedback on some of these ideas and new ideas to bring to the Art gallery to make it more enjoyable. =]

Years
  • These are perfect, Ana! I'm the type of person who waits until inspiration hits to draw (which doesn't happen too often lmao) and those ideas all really make me inspired to get to work :3 I'd love to participate in pretty much everything! I was wondering what happened to the art Pokedex too; I'd love to help out with some of that, as well :D

Something like a continue the picture seems like it'd be fun. First person draws a scene and the next person draws something that happens next. So I can start with a street and the next person can continue the story by drawing someone walking to school on that street etc etc. Not sure how active it'd be, but it seems fun! Maybe to encourage activity we can tell people not to spend too much time on every strip otherwise it'd take too long to advance from one panel to the next.

Castgurl

The Cuban Artist ~
    Years
  • Whoa, okay a little dead here.

*revives*

Okay, here's some ideas and things I'm trying to do for the Art Gallery.

Things I'm bringing back to activity:

Draw Me ... - It was a monthly drawing contest which I couldn't continue for quite a bit, but I will be bringing back. Also, you get a sweet emblem:
    drawmewinner.png

The Art PC Pokedex - Big Art project for the Art Gallery (new members ans helpers are welcomed!) that I'm finally getting helpers for. =] Also, for those who do submit work, you get another cool emblem!
    2vado20.jpg

Animation, bros. That's a pretty sweet emblem.

Ideas I have

Finish That Picture! - We start with an incomplete picture, and the next poster would finish it. Easy as that. However, I'm bringing it up in case anyone has a better idea for a game/something fun and if anyone has questions about it.
    Crit off! - I did read this idea months (possibly even a year ago) that a Critique contest would be cool. At first, I thought it was a boring idea, but then finally understanding how important and useful critiques are (I'm kinda talking about constructive crits), I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea.
    A big PC Art Collab picture - A big collaboration with the artists here on PC. Sorta like how G&P once had a art worm project once. It's much easier with an Art Worm for graphics, but I think if I find away to make a cool collab. with the people here on PC, I think it would be a very fun idea!

So, I want to post these ideas to you viewers of the Art Gallery. Like any ideas? Have anymore cool suggestions? POST 'EM HERE! I'd really love to hear some feedback on some of these ideas and new ideas to bring to the Art gallery to make it more enjoyable. =]

Now these are a cool idea. It'll give someone like me a chance to push myself while trying to complete a drawing in a completely different art style. These are pretty neat ideas. :)

Years
  • I definitely think we need some kind of events hosted sometime in the future since the activity of the section has been dwindling a bit. I'm sure these will help it get back on its feet. :3 I'd love to be a helper if you're still in need of them, too; I've got lots of free time!

Castgurl

The Cuban Artist ~
    Years
  • I agree with Cirno, we have a lot of people on here that have talent, love art and both in between! And can have fun as well in this forum. I'm pretty free as well on the weekends unless I'm offline busy finishing up my introduction pages of my comic; I'll be happy to help out as well! ^_^

Years
  • Well, I'm planning to work on the next "Draw Me" competition. It most likely will involve collaborations with people! How fun?

I also came up with another idea. Why don't we make teams and battles for the Art Gallery? I know the Graphic & Photography has "Battles" with each others. I just remember a big event I use to take part in another forum where you'd make teams and compete with artists on different teams.

Not only that, but maybe we can even have Pixel and Graphic artists involved as well.

Team example: Team Red (BORING, BUT WHATEVER)
    Have a leader with an artist talent. Then, have a requirement of a drawing artists, sprite artists, and graphic artists.

Compete with other teams. However, battles wouldn't be mixed (ex: Sprite artist vs A drawing artist).

I'm more unsure of this idea, and I don't have a complete idea about this.

Anyone have more ideas for this idea? Continue this idea or not? I thought it would be cool, and you can participate with people you might know or not.

ALSO, WHOEVER WANTS TO HELP ME WITH IDEAS I HAD BEFORE, PM ME. I'm going to plan making the threads.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • As a graphics artist, it would be very interesting and fun to collaborate with some of you guys in battles, or just for pieces or whatever. Plus the art boards should be more integrated anyways! Anyways, if this idea goes through or needs more consideration from another perspective, I'm all for it! Sounds awesome!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back