• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Being hard on yourself.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Oh my God. Yes. And it's not just the typical being overly-critical of yourself either. it is this intense, chronic hatred.

I really really dislike myself sometimes. And I can name so many countless flaws. But if I do, I'll get into one of those moods again. I uphold myself to the highest standards, which I can never hope to fulfill, and constantly feel guilty because of that. I can never be satisfied with anything I do. There's always something I could've done better. Always a way I screwed something up. Always something to feel bad about. It's not really a good thing, because well... I tend to drive other people insane if I decide to open my mouth up about it. They think I am just ridiculously insanely hard on myself. I usually just keep my mouth shut and contain it though. Who wants to hear: "Nah, I wasn't really that great. Could've done this better." in response to a compliment they gave out?

It would be nice to relax a little. And I try, I really do. I try to tell myself, it's okay. What I think is crap is probably way higher than most people's standards somehow due to how much they compliment it. And I try not to let myself dwell. But I think that's just the nature of who I am, sadly. I don't like to feel myself slipping into a state of non-improvement. I always have to be better, or it will eat at me. And I'm never good enough, so it's always eating at me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2019
    I think I would worry more if I can't seem to find anything about myself to be at least somewhat critical of, because then I think I would be questioning my ability to self-diagnose and assume a perspective that allows me to assess my own actions in an at least partially objective sense.

Outlier

I don't think I'm overly critical of myself. I've got a lot of flaws and issues that I'm aware of. It's just that I'm probably too open about my self-critiques and I should focus more on actually bettering myself. Most people don't like it when someone is too critical or negative, even if someone is only being critical and negative about themselves.

Years
    I don't think I'm overly critical of myself. I've got a lot of flaws and issues that I'm aware of. It's just that I'm probably too open about my self-critiques and I should focus more on actually bettering myself. Most people don't like it when someone is too critical or negative, even if someone is only being critical and negative about themselves.

Basically this. I'm critical but not in a way that I feel bad about myself. Usually when I feel bad about myself, I have a pretty good reason which usually involves not doing something that is reasonably possible for me to do. I know my weak points, but I call them out for what they are, but no more, and stay objective about them.

I don't like it when people are overly critical, especially when counterexamples don't faze them. I'd call that being sensationally, unreasonably critical. It's different when they acknowledge reasons not to be so critical, although they find the bad feeling hard to shake.

Years
    I am very hard on myself, add low self-esteem and there you go. I'm not particularly worried about this much, because it made me succeed many times.

Years
    I am always hard on myself because I always expect people want me to live up to their expectations and I feel like I don't succeed, and also having low self-esteem and fear of social environments make life hard for me.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
    Oh my God. Yes. And it's not just the typical being overly-critical of yourself either. it is this intense, chronic hatred.

I really really dislike myself sometimes. And I can name so many countless flaws. But if I do, I'll get into one of those moods again. I uphold myself to the highest standards, which I can never hope to fulfill, and constantly feel guilty because of that. I can never be satisfied with anything I do. There's always something I could've done better. Always a way I screwed something up. Always something to feel bad about. It's not really a good thing, because well... I tend to drive other people insane if I decide to open my mouth up about it. They think I am just ridiculously insanely hard on myself. I usually just keep my mouth shut and contain it though. Who wants to hear: "Nah, I wasn't really that great. Could've done this better." in response to a compliment they gave out?

It would be nice to relax a little. And I try, I really do. I try to tell myself, it's okay. What I think is crap is probably way higher than most people's standards somehow due to how much they compliment it. And I try not to let myself dwell. But I think that's just the nature of who I am, sadly. I don't like to feel myself slipping into a state of non-improvement. I always have to be better, or it will eat at me. And I'm never good enough, so it's always eating at me.

Wow... I've always felt the same way. I can never quite be satisfied with myself, because I'm never good enough to be. I'm always afraid of screwing up and making people angry or disappointed with me.

Back