• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: best coast california

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I haven't played Poker in years.

Here's another semi-debate topic for y'all, do you consider Billiards to be a sport?
    Billiard is such an amazing game to play! I LOVE IT!

I've always watched m parents played it over the years, but I have never played it until recently.

The people who are really good at the game, has said I have caught on how to play the game way better than most, that even I did much better than them my first time! I've won the games making the 8 ball in 7 times out of 9 times(Not a lot of game experience here, but yeah), the one time was scratching the 8 ball, of course. The other time my partner made an 8 ball in without getting all the stripes in first. -_- I remember my very first few shots xD I couldn't figure out the position comfortable enough to hit the white ball LOL

I guess Billiard is in the same boat as bowling.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    ESPN is mainly just NFL talk. Very boring. I don't see how people watch that channel at all.

Years
    I don't consider ESPN to be the arbiter of determining what is and is not a sport. They're in the business of entertainment, so WSP and spelling bees, if they are entertaining and make money, get coverage and airtime.

Sport in noun form as defined by Merriam Webster:

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

Years
    In the billiards "final" we had a tournament, but at the semifinals when I did the breaking the 8 ball went straight to the corner, only for me to accidentally put it in couple turns later -_-

It's a shame because I was actually getting pretty decent at it.

Years
    ESPN is mainly just NFL talk. Very boring. I don't see how people watch that channel at all.

I find it contains too much Tebow and big market NFL teams, personally. It's like the country doesn't exist outside the Northeast, Dallas, LA, and San Francisco. And SportsCenter is a trainwreck of highlights, showing 5 highlights from Team A, 1 from Team B, and then another 3 from Team A before flashing the final score that shows that Team B won the game. Just watch it for any team sport and you'll notice this is the case on a nightly basis.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I find it contains too much Tebow and big market NFL teams, personally. It's like the country doesn't exist outside the Northeast, Dallas, LA, and San Francisco. And SportsCenter is a trainwreck of highlights, showing 5 highlights from Team A, 1 from Team B, and then another 3 from Team A before flashing the final score that shows that Team B won the game. Just watch it for any team sport and you'll notice this is the case on a nightly basis.

I only flip to that channel for the NASCAR races after they finish airing on FOX & TNT. When it's over, I change channels or shut my TV off pretty quickly. That's how lame ESPN is, in my honest opinion.

Years
    I only flip to that channel for the NASCAR races after they finish airing on FOX & TNT. When it's over, I change channels or shut my TV off pretty quickly. That's how lame ESPN is, in my honest opinion.

I just generally haven't been watching it in years unless I'm expecting coverage of something major. I find Fox Sports actually does halfway decent coverage of the teams not in the aforementioned areas, but local radio shows do a much better job of giving me the sports news I care about and the late night Fox Sports radio crew out of LA is actually pretty good at national coverage despite their LA bias.

Heck, I'd probably find the recently formed and very young NBC and CBS sports networks to be more tolerable than ESPN right now.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    ^Sirius XM has wonderful sports stations that give out wonderful coverage. I love it.

Fox Sports is also great too. :)

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Fox Sports

Another thing you pointed out. I used to chill with some of my NASCAR buddies online, [supporter]Axeliira[/supporter] has met a few, they're all way older than most of the memberbase here. The thing is, they aren't very happy with Fox Sports taking over Speed. I don't have Fox Sports but I guess Fox Sports is slowly ignoring much of the NASCAR highlights?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    ^yeah, I only watch it because it's better than ESPN, but I'm not okay with less NASCAR or motorsport coverage. I'd rather have live qualifying rounds than tape-delayed, which is what they do now and what they'll be doing this season.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Did you hear about the new NBC Sports coverage thing that will be going on next year, with Steve Letarte & Jeff Burton commentators? How do you feel about that?

Years
    Is that NASCAR related coverage you're talking about, Sector?

Another thing you pointed out. I used to chill with some of my NASCAR buddies online, [supporter]Axeliira[/supporter] has met a few, they're all way older than most of the memberbase here. The thing is, they aren't very happy with Fox Sports taking over Speed. I don't have Fox Sports but I guess Fox Sports is slowly ignoring much of the NASCAR highlights?

It may well be the case that they're doing that, but Fox Sports has more of a regional structure (as in, separate channels and web pages for each market) and only recently opened up a nationwide channel to compete with ESPN. I guess their broadcast channel's coverage of NASCAR probably has been slipping in favor of actual TV shows, though, and the dismantling of Speed in favor of their own channel was probably a money grab to compete directly with ESPN, since NASCAR by itself isn't as lucrative as covering as many sports as possible is. They did retain the "Speed" brand as a blog on their website, though.

Why doesn't NASCAR have its own channel yet? The NBA, the NHL, MLB, and NFL all do, as do several major college sports conferences, and in some cases *coughTEXAScough* schools and pro-teams (like the Yankees with YES) have a channel dedicated to themselves. It'd be easy to turn it into a lucrative venture.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Is that NASCAR related coverage you're talking about, Sector?

It may well be the case that they're doing that, but Fox Sports has more of a regional structure (as in, separate channels and web pages for each market) and only recently opened up a nationwide channel to compete with ESPN. I guess their broadcast channel's coverage of NASCAR probably has been slipping in favor of actual TV shows, though, and the dismantling of Speed in favor of their own channel was probably a money grab to compete directly with ESPN, since NASCAR by itself isn't as lucrative as covering as many sports as possible is. They did retain the "Speed" brand as a blog on their website, though.

Why doesn't NASCAR have its own channel yet? The NBA, the NHL, MLB, and NFL all do, as do several major college sports conferences, and in some cases *coughTEXAScough* schools and pro-teams (like the Yankees with YES) have a channel dedicated to themselves. It'd be easy to turn it into a lucrative venture.
    @NASCAR related coverage: Yes

Last I checked, NASCAR had its own channel during races & have the live on-board cameras so you can watch your favorite driver throughout the entire race on their cam. You have to pay for it though. The thing I would love is, just like the WWE channel I heard about, NASCAR SHOULD have their own channels & show classic races. Races from the past. I think that would attract quite a bit of viewers. I remember when ESPN used to show the races. I did enjoy watching them, especially the ones I haven't watched because they were so into the past. Now-a-days, I don't think EPSN even show anything NASCAR outside of the current events.

Years
    NASCAR really should do that. The big 4 leagues all do that, and I've seen the Big Ten do it. I've also seen the regional Fox Sports channels do it as well. Rebroadcasting old games/races is generally good for educating the fanbase on the history.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    NASCAR really should do that. The big 4 leagues all do that, and I've seen the Big Ten do it. I've also seen the regional Fox Sports channels do it as well. Rebroadcasting old games/races is generally good for educating the fanbase on the history.

I guess that was the reason behind Speed was, wasn't it? Anything and everything motorsports? They even showed movies about racing on that channel. Days of Thunder, 3, etc.

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
    I don't know what to feel about the fact that I was literally the only one today who knew it was Holocaust Memorial Day today...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back