• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: best coast california

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I use my phone for internet and listening to music, but that's really it. Nobody wants to talk to me... The only handheld-type electronics I use are my 3DS (solely for Pokemon Y and my nuzlocke playthrough of Heartgold) and phone.

Years
  • My gadgets really expanded last year.. last year I managed to get a 3DS XL, a tablet, and a smartphone. Though I still don't have a data plan, I'm at least glad I'm more up-to-date on the types of technology I have with me.

.Lacie

Pokémon Overlord!
    Years
  • I can survive without a cell phone or internet. I just need my friends and loved one. WOW SUCH DRAMA. Yeah but it's real.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I actually am going to disagree with whoever said tablets and phones make people antisocial. Is that a possibility? Absolutely, but I think that these gadgets don't necessarily turn people antisocial. They make them more antisocial, implying that they have always been. On the flipside, if you're very social irl, then all these gadgets do is make you even more social. Yeah, there's definitely a disconnect from reality since conversation is being held through electricity, essentially, but that's still being social, no?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Sometimes it is easy to forget how things work in the first place. Life is a bit of a complicated thing - lots of subtle things can get lost to the casual observer.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Gadgets don't make people antisocial, they give antisocial people an excuse to be antisocial.

That would be looking at only one side, huh? I probably wouldn't able to stay connected to some of my high school classmates now, seeing as I don't have their phone numbers.

Years
  • I've seen the word "antisocial" thrown around here often... and I have a feeling a lot of you don't know what it actually means. Or some people do really mean phones and tablets make you a harmful person to the society, which obviously isn't true.

Years
  • The only harm I can see from phones and tablets are when people are using them while driving. That alone right there could be enough to cause a fatality.. but it should be common sense not to use a phone or a tablet while driving (of course handsfree being the exception).

Years
  • The only harm I can see from phones and tablets are when people are using them while driving. That alone right there could be enough to cause a fatality.. but it should be common sense not to use a phone or a tablet while driving (of course handsfree being the exception).
    Generally, though, using phones and tablets don't evoke antisocial behavior. Antisocial, as in,

an·ti·so·cial adjective \ˌan-tē-ˈsō-shəl, ˌan-ˌtī-\
    : violent or harmful to people
    : not friendly to other people
    Full Definition of ANTISOCIAL
    1: averse to the society of others : unsociable
    2: hostile or harmful to organized society; especially : being or marked by behavior deviating sharply from the social norm

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antisocial

I've seen the word bandied around to mean withdrawn from society, but that's not necessarily the case.

Back to the main point, yes, texting while driving is a horrible practice, but it's more down to the driver's idiocy rather than the technology itself.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah I find that you can either be social or asocial on a mobile device. A lot of people use them to communicate while a lot of others use them to ignore people.

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
  • The funny thing is that despite I don't have nor use any mobile devices of any kind I'm still antisocial to some extent...

well maybe antisocial isn't the right word, socially totally wrecked would fit more I guess

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
  • I think it's funny how, no matter where, I somehow always manage to unintentionally choose the topic of the discussion;
    -today I just told I don't have mobile devices and such -> topic becomes about antisociality/introvertism
    -I remember a few days ago right after I joined I told that I was from Germany and such -> topic turns into discussion about us not being nazis anymore/conservativeism in European nations

etc.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Actually, everyone influences the chat. Put something in that's easy enough to talk about and it becomes the new topic. I've changed the topic a lot, and so have a lot of other people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back