• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best generic bird?

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
Years
  • Pidgeot. Noctowl. Swellow. Staraptor. Unfezezant. Talonflame. Each gen has had one generic bird, that you can catch early on, and lots of people have on their teams, but which one do you like best? For me, Staraptor in every way. Favourite gen, favourite design, and favourite battle-wise. Reckless boosted choice banded brave bird and double edge. Boom.

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
  • Unfeazant used to be very appealing for me before, but now, i barely take a second glance :c
    And ofc, almost everyone's favourite, Staraptor, is one of my most favourite bird pkmn ^^. I choose the appearance as judgement everytime xD

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Competitively, I think many people will say Talonflame. It's ability Gale Wings is just too good. I personally like Staraptor though. Having Close Combat of a bird is pretty cool, and yeah Brave Bird/Double Edge with Reckless is certainly a spectacle.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    My favourite generic birds are Staraptor and Talonflame. Staraptor is the most badass one, and Talonflame is the first generic bird to deviate from the old Normal/Flying rule. It's also a decent mixed attacker with blazing speed.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Talonflame hands down. During regular game play it is amazing because it can Fly and has the Ability Flame Body which helps immensely when breeding. Obviously you get it very early on so it's amazingly helpful. In a competitive sense it is still awesome with Gale Wings.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • My Top3 would be Staraptor, Pidgeot and Talonflame. Staraptor for his high attack stat and the fact it learns superpower naturally. Pidgeot is a classic must-have, and that hair man. Talonflame is awesome when you get one with Gale Wings, but sadly i havent used it too often

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Swellow is pretty cool with a status inflicted too.

But Pidgeot wins hand down for me because I goes for design mostly!

Shhmew

Years
  • Well I suppose Talonflame wins at being the best at battling, but my favorites happen to be Staraptor and Noctowl.

Monster Guy

The Best Possible Thing!
    Years
  • Staraptor and Talonflame are the most competitively viable, so I'll say them. The other generic birds are so... generic. :/

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Well, I'm actually a bit disappointed Fearow isn't available to choose from, because that's what I would vote for. Well, actually I'd rather vote for Dodrio, but eh, I'll try to stay realistic

I like Staraptor and Swellow more than the others, mainly because of looks.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    PIDGEOT. Will always be Pidgeot for me. I've sort of just decided that, welp :x

Noctowl was cool in a way, but Swellow and Staraptor never did it for me, neither did Unfezant. Talonflame is a bit more unique, which is nice.

But Pidgeot still is my fav in terms of design, even though Swellow and Staraptor were a bit more useful in the games imo.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Haha, good topic. n_n;; Anyway, my favorite would be Pidgeot. It's got an awesome design, and also one of the first bird Pokémon to ever be introduced. Second favorite Staraptor. In terms of battling, I would say Talonflame, due to the same reasons stated in above posts.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • STARAPTOR. Loved this bird ever since he was introduced. I'm enamored by it's design, but the main reason why I like this magnificent bird with the long fringe, was solely because of that beautiful base 120 Attack with Reckless and moves like Brave Bird, Double Edge, and Close Combat.

Swellow is a close second for me. But he's no Staraptor, that's for sure.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Pidgeot. He's the first and the best designed IMO.

Sadly, Pidgeot always gets the short end of the stick between generations (hence my current sig). They create other birds with better moves and abilities and push Pidgeot further back with each generation. Really, Staraptor and Talonflame are the wrong answers to the question everybody was asking. Balance the ♥♥♥♥ing birds before creating other ones FFS.

Meanwhile, Pidgeot was shafted even in his own generation! Lack of Drill Peck really hurt him back in the day. Of course, Fearow was a bad Dodrio, but Fearow at least had Drill Peck. My guess is that the developers overestimated the efficiency of Fly as a move, leaving Pidgeot and other birds without a good Flying-type move until 4th gen (which is when he gained Brave Bird as an egg move).

I think it's unacceptable that Talonflame has Gale Wings. They should've given that to Pidgeot, replacing Big Pecks. After all, Pidgeot is the Mach 2 bird. Instead, they give him wind-based moves which he can't use because he has base 70 Special Attack. That's really sad.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Design-wise would have to be a tossup between Noctowl and Talonflame, but I have to concede that Staraptor is handily the best battler of the bunch. XD

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • Pidgeot is my favourite Pokemon, so there's no contest. I'm obviously going to pick it over the other birdies every time.

Yeah, tell me all you like that it's outclassed by Staraptor and Talonflame. I really don't care. It can hold its own just fine, and its design is gorgeous- that's about all I care about. It can also go physical or special, actually- not the best at either, mind you, but it's possible.

Granted, they all have their charm to them, I'll admit. Staraptor has great coverage and unimaginable power; Talonflame has Gale Wings alongside that Fire/Flying typing, which is love; Swellow is a formidable foe with Guts; even Noctowl does all right as a specially-defensive focused special attacker.

Unfezant, mind you, is the odd one out in the running, because for some reason GF decided to give it special moves rather than giving it, you know, Brave Bird. Because it's not like it could make use of it with that amazing Attack stat, or anything. Nope. But it can still hold its own just fine, and I am digging the male variant's mask...

...Look, Flying is my third-favourite type. I'm going to be showing some love to all of the birdies, even if Pidgeot is my favourite. >>

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
    Years
  • Pidgeot. It's been the only bird pokemon that I've ever steadily used. Great speed, and fun to throw on point with toxic. Out of all the birds, in my opinion it looks the best as well

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Swellow would be my absolute favourite, I prefer its design and at least in-game I've found it to be a very useful pokemon.

My ranking:

1. Swellow
    2. Noctowl
    3. Talonflame
    4. Pidgeot
    5. Staraptor
    6. Unfezant

Staraptor and Unfezant never appealed to me, maybe competitively they're the bees knees but they don't do anything for me.

Last edited:
    Back