• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best New Evolution Introduced in the Fourth Gen

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Fourth gen got me back into Pokemon. I used to be one of those people who were like "If it's not one of the first 251 pokemon it sucks." I'm sure there are people who say "If it's not one of the first 151 pokemon it sucks." But that's how I used to be and it was a pretty stupid way of thinking.

When I bought platinum like 6 years ago (because the internal battery in my Silver died) I saw that there were a bunch of new evolutions for pokemon that had already existed. Electabuzz evolves? Blasphemy! Not Lickitung too!!! Baby Mr. Mime! I'm gonna kill myself!

But in all honesty, most of them are pretty cool. Who really cares about Lickitung? And if you do more power to you, throw an eviolite on it!

Who are some of your favorite new evolutions introduced in Gen 4? Who makes a previously boring pokemon exiting or even maybe badass? Also, which new evolution do you think maybe a ruined a pokemon for you? I'm not just talking competitively. Design and stuff counts too.

My favorite has to be Togekiss. For those of us that are old timers like me you'll remember that the first 2nd gen pokemon introduced was Togepi. I remember when I got one in my copy of Silver I used it some until eventually it evolved through friendship into... Togetic... Togetic was awful. I'm sorry if you like it but jeez, it's ugly, it's not good in a battle. It can learn Fly, I guess it has that going for it. They finally made him cool by adding another evolution in Togekiss. Cool design, cool cry, and really useful in battle too.

Besides Togekiss I love Ambipom, Electivire and Gliscor. Throw in a baby for if you like too. Munchax might be the coolest baby since Elekid.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    The first gen 2 introduced was not togepi, it was ho-oh :p

My favorite would be gliscor. And then, mamoswine. I really love Gen IV treatment, okay magmortar was uglier than Magmar (although magmortar looks like a boss) , but most of them are good in my opinion

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
    my favourite new evolution would have to be magnezone, it has a great special attack, and pretty good defense, and it's sturdy ability (in gen v+) is really helpful, it's one of my main pokemon in my white2, plus it looks really cool, and it's cry is awesome

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    If it's not one of the first 251 pokemon it sucks.
    tru

I'd say my favorite was Magmortar. Not because I've ever even used him, just because that name is so much fun to say. I'm not a fan of Togepi or Togekiss much, but I do really like all the pre-evolutions (or whatever they're called??) that Gen IV introduced. I'm an especially big fan of this adorable little guy.

Best New Evolution Introduced in the Fourth Gen

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2017
    I would have to go with Yanmega, though a lot of the gen 2 evolved forms were great. Weavile, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Mismagius, Togekiss, Yanmega, all great stuff. The only one I wasn't big on was Honchkrow. I still like Murkrow a lot better.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Togekiss, Gliscor or Gallade would have to be my three favourites! Yanmega and Ambipom were very cool as well. I have yet to use all of them in a team so I should probably do that soon D:

Also I agree that Munchlax is adorable! It reminds me a lot of Totoro and the way it stuffs its face with so much food is great. <3

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    I mean I liked Togekiss and Magmortar although Magmortars design could have been more unique but I think Roserade was the best just cause Roselia was so plain to Sinnoh emerged and all.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2016
    Dusknoir. Awesome design, awesome staller moveset, awesome antagonist in PMD EoD/EoT/EoS.

'Nuff said.

walnut3072

Quan
    Years
    To me it's Leafeon and Glaceon. And I still can't stand the design of Rhyperior, although Rhyhorn and Rhydon are my favorite.

Parasyct

Ya Boi
    Years
    All the gen 4 evolutions are among my favourites, they made some Pokémons that I didnt find all that interesting (because they didn't evolve and I really love feeling like my Pokémon are growing and stuff) super cool. My favourite one is Gliscor, I mean, its a flying badass scorpion and also pretty good competitive-wise.

The rest is all equally great (except Lickilicky), specially Magmortar (dat arm cannon) and Dusknoir (like someone said before, he was awesome in PMD). Also all their cries are awesome, like, extremely intimidating and badass, and they probably got stuck in my mind because of Pokémon Ranger.

About the baby Pokémon, my favourite is Mime Jr., that lil clown is probably the cutest baby of all time (too bad he grows to look like a...ya know, pretty creepy)

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    I think Gliscor was the best new addition! Gligar for me was such a boring and forgettable Pokemon before, never really used it till I got a Gliscor and was surprised how tough he was.

Years
    I loved most of the new evolutions, but notable faves of mine were Froslass, Gallade, Yanmega, Gliscor, Ambipom, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Mamoswine, Mismagius, Honchkrow, and the two Eeveelutions (Leafeon and Glaceon).

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think the best additions were Magnezone, Togekiss, Leafeon, Glaceon, Porygon-Z, Probopass and Froslass. I'm more of a design over how useful it is person and I loved these!

I only ones i really don't like are lickilicky and rhyperior. when it comes to lickitung i mean really how much can you actually do justice to that pokemon. in its basic form it's already pretty unmemorable and just not a big favorite of most people. so as much as i don't like it i don't really care what became of it. As for Rhyperior i was and still am really disappointed at its evolution. It's just so ugly and really ruined an original pokemon for me. I'll still use it one day, but for now i just pretend it doesn't exist

Years
    I liked Sneasel when I played gen 2 but it was ruined by dark type being special, so it was great to see Weavile with the p/s split. I also like Gallade, Electivire and the Eeveelutions.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I love Froslass, both in design and in battle. In fact, she was the Pokemon that made me adore the Ice type, with it being one of my most favorite types along with Fire! Other than Froslass, though, I liked Gallade, Leafeon, Glaceon, Porygon-Z, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Togekiss and Yanmega. (it would have been cool to it see as a Bug/Dragon though)

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Gliscor was my number one favorite, with Togekiss coming in second place. While Togekiss is a Fairy, and is downright adorable, Gliscor is vicious, has an almost better typing, and has one of the best Hidden Abilities ever...

I was just sad that these certain evolutions were never in the old Sinnoh PokéDex.

Back