• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bigger emphasis on Mega Evolution?

Sirfetch’d

Mega Evolution was a concept introduced to us in XY and then carried over to the ORAS games. It certainly played a big part in both stories as you and various other in game trainers were able to master the art of Mega Evolution. However, I think since it was such a big success, that this time around potentially more trainers in game could have the ability to mega evolve their Pokemon such as your rival, late game gym leaders, victory road trainers, etc. and put more of an emphasis as a whole on the Mega Evolution process.Maybe integrating it into the story even more than ORAS did. What do you guys think? Would you like this?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm rather wondering if Mega evolution has had its big impact now and will rather be treated as a more regular thing than a big plot point. Pokemon wants to constanly reinvent their games (more or less) so I could see them trying to put focus on some completely new feature instead. Perhaps vehicles? (:

Although, new Mega versions of old pokemon would be pretty sweet. We're all still waiting for Mega Flygon, haha. And there are opportunities now for Mega Clefable, Mega Sunflora and other moon/sun/space related
    Pokemon to get some spotlight.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Obligatory Mega Solrock/Lunatone joke

I'm with Fire on this one -- I think that now that Mega Evolution has run its course, as it were, they'll become less of a plot point and more of a usual feature. Hopefully this means that we'll start seeing more trainers with Megas. Gym Leaders and Elite Four are obvious choices but it would be nice to see some random higher-level trainers with Megas too. Maybe on Victory Road?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Don't get me wrong, I love Mega Evolutions.

But I think ORAS cover them pretty well. Personally I don't need more. (I mean, more about the story, but more Mega, Yes I need <3 :3 )

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I actually kinda hope Mega Evolution goes the way of trainer customization and Pokemon following you... I'm not a fan, lol, so I hope they tone it down in this game... >_>

But if they have to keep it around, I don't want it so tied into the story because for someone who doesn't like the idea, that was just tedious. I guess I wouldn't mind running into random trainers who do it and whatnot, because that's a lot easier to ignore, haha.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
  • I feel as if the game is going to focus on any feature this time, it's a new feature for sure. I'm feeling as if new breeding mechanics will be introduced that the game will focus on.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • If there is more mega evolution in this game, I really hope they give mega evolution to weaker Pokemon.

I like mega evolution, but imo, I think it should be used primarily to strengthen weak Pokemon as oppose to Pokemon that are already strong.
    I think that would be a great use for them.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I think it'll definitely be in the game, but I'm pretty much on the same page as Rika and Lost. I'd rather see it just become a regular thing instead of being a major plot point. Instead of it being a super special newly discovered form of evolution like it was in X/Y and (less so) in ORAS, I'd like to see it be more of a regular thing and have higher-tier trainers around the end of the game use it. That said though, I do hope to see some new Mega Evolutions. Specifically for Pokémon that could use a refresh like some of the once popular but forgotten Pokes from Gen 1, or even a few from gen 6.

That said, it's also possible that it'll play an even bigger role in Sun & Moon than it did in XY and ORAS. It never played a huge role in either of those games story-wise, it was more of a tertiary thing. So maybe they'll try to cash in on the popularity and make an even bigger deal out of it in the new games :P

pkmin3033

I think it'll largely depend on whether or not Sun and Moon mark the beginning of the seventh generation or an extension of the sixth. If these are sixth generation titles, I think Mega Evolution will probably play a much bigger role in the plot than it did in XY or ORAS.

If they're seventh generation titles, I expect there will be a brand new gimmick that they'll focus on, because Pokemon has never really gotten too hung up over one point across multiple generations. I'm pretty sure we'll get more mega evolutions regardless, but whether they'll just be incidental or not will probably depend on what Sun and Moon actually are.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think it'll largely depend on whether or not Sun and Moon mark the beginning of the seventh generation or an extension of the sixth. If these are sixth generation titles, I think Mega Evolution will probably play a much bigger role in the plot than it did in XY or ORAS.

If they're seventh generation titles, I expect there will be a brand new gimmick that they'll focus on, because Pokemon has never really gotten too hung up over one point across multiple generations. I'm pretty sure we'll get more mega evolutions regardless, but whether they'll just be incidental or not will probably depend on what Sun and Moon actually are.
    Even if they are Gen VII (and a lot of things indicate that it is), if they're sequels to XY ala GS then the Mega plot could continue. I think it might. Masuda called OrAs the 'climax', but we never got our resolution to the mystery. I feel that Zygarde is tied to it, and it might appear in these games at some point.

pkmin3033

Even if they are Gen VII (and a lot of things indicate that it is), if they're sequels to XY ala GS then the Mega plot could continue. I think it might. Masuda called OrAs the 'climax', but we never got our resolution to the mystery. I feel that Zygarde is tied to it, and it might appear in these games at some point.
    Indeed...another possibility is that it could be addressed in postgame content, similar to the Delta episode. If these are Gen VII titles I think they'll probably want to focus on the mascot Legendaries and not link them to Mega Evolution, but there is nothing to stop them doing a Mega Evolution follow-up postgame and linking it in that way and providing a resolution to things...possibly with Zygarde's alternate forms starring.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Indeed...another possibility is that it could be addressed in postgame content, similar to the Delta episode. If these are Gen VII titles I think they'll probably want to focus on the mascot Legendaries and not link them to Mega Evolution, but there is nothing to stop them doing a Mega Evolution follow-up postgame and linking it in that way and providing a resolution to things...possibly with Zygarde's alternate forms starring.
    Yeah, I can see that. I have a theory that if the mascots end up being based on the Norse wolves who devour Sol and Mani then perhaps they share a link to Zygarde, at least it's 10% forme which appears to be based on Fenrir, the third wolf tied to the story of Ragnarok. So in a way Zygarde could be like Rayquaza was in OrAs, left with it's own post game story. It'll be the first time one legendary is part of two trios.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I don't really see how much further they could go with Mega evolution, they pretty much had it as the main focus for both XY and ORAS. It will most likely be integrated to the storyline, but I don't think there will be any expansion or heavy emphasis on it.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
  • Let's just forget that mega evolution ever happened, yeah? :D I swear I won't hold anything against GameFreak for this one mistake. I'll gloss over this rough patch and let it slide just this once if they promise to never bring the abomination back.

Unfortunately, I fall in the minority with this opinion and that is really unlikely. If they do continue it (and I'm sure they will) I wish they'd just stop giving megas to stupidly powerful Pokemon. You will never, ever, convince me that Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Salamence, Garchomp (lol), Metagross, Alakazam, Gengar, Latios, Latias, Blaziken, Lucario, and Tyranitar needed mega evolution or that it even makes sense for them to get mega evolution.

Also stop creating megas that break the game *cough* Kangaskhan *cough*

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I would like a deeper explanation to it in the new games yes maybe like even a lab dedicated to it? I mean that would be cool and for us to know does every pokemon get a mega? Or just certain ones? And exactly how was it found? I mean ya I wanna know more! Just wondering what megas they might have though hmmm omg if its mega solrock and lunatone ill die

Juice585

M'Ampharos
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    Not a huge fan of continuing to give megas to a whole bunch of "meh" Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Mega Evolutions will still be part of the game, but I fail to see it being part of the main plot.

Perhaps Mega Stone hunting and ME Plot will be part of the post-game plot?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It as already been said that they eventually want to make a Mega for every pokemon. This could be primal reversion or what not. It is too big of a thing at this point to remove. It is like the pokemon following you thing which never had a massive impact.

Trainer Customization needs to come back and stay. I will be disappointed if it was removed. ORAS didn't have it, because it didn't have them in the first place.

Mega Evolution may not have as big as a drive as XYORAS had, but there is no way they will just stop something that large that impacts game play. Also, Megas were never intended to make pokemon come up to speed with others. It was also strongly popularity. That is why most favorites were given Megas and Charizard got 2 Megas.

Years
  • Given that Sun and Moon are the name of evolutionary stones, that might come across as slightly inadvertently humorous. That said, surely S&M needs Mega-Evolutions, being their native habitat.

It as already been said that they eventually want to make a Mega for every pokemon.
    That might trivialise the format, might as well just start fourth level evolutions. That would put Pokemon's final evolutionary stages down significantly, by making them always have to be something quite different, and may discourage designing them in the first place knowing that they're likely to be replaced by players if necessary.

Back