• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Braviary vs Mandibuzz!

Which of the bird siblings?

• Braviary

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Mandibuzz

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    628.gif
    6219A.png
    630.gif

Here at the Fifth Generation Gaming section Braviary is the mascot of sorts. You've seen him every time you've come here and I'm sure you're well and familiar. He's our "Captain America", the gold o'l boy from next door with a left hook shot that kills, and the grades of a scholar. But what about his sister, Mandibuzz? The buzzard of the Pokemon world, Mandibuzz has come from the worst of the wastelands of bike gangs, ruffians, and bad grades to duke it out with her brother in this all out brawl. Both pokemon are version exclusives, and also happen to be gender exclusive. Braviary is the spear, and Mandibuzz the shield. Both have their own quirky way of battle, and now you get to battle with debate on which is the greatest of the two, in this week's Weekly Poll!

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I like Mandibuzz well enough, but have to go with Braviary.

In BW, they were both a bit tough to use, just because they show up, unevolved, so late in the game, but with them readily available fully evolved on Route 4 in BW2, they became much more convenient. That's a bit of a trade-off though, since they come with their DW abilities then. For Braviary, that's probably a good thing all in all - Sheer Force is a nice ability, but it doesn't get a really good set of moves to take advantage of it. Defiant is an awesome ability though, and I've got an Adamant Defiant Braviary that's been a star on my White 2 team. For Mandibuzz though, I just don't care for Weak Armor much - it trades off Mandibuzz's biggest advantage - defense - for additional speed that it can't put to much use anyway, since its offensive stats are terrible. It does hit very hard with Foul Play (or can, if the target has decent Atk), but that's about it. Beyond that, it's purely defensive, and for that, Big Pecks is far and away the better ability. I used a Big Pecks one in a playthrough of Black a while back, and it was nice all in all, but its lack of offense was a bit of a bother.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • Pardon me for being so formal in this post {XD}

---

I hadn't used the Normal/Flying types until Generation IV, purely because so many of them were subpar in terms of offensive or defensive aptitude.

Generation IV introduced Staraptor -- more or less of a glass cannon, although Intimidate and Generation V's +10 base Special Attack alleviated that somewhat.

Then came Generation V, with Braviary. It was essentially a buffed up Staraptor with an ability that augments the power of moves with additional effects or an ability that ignores detrimental accuracy changes. Although Braviary's learnset is not spectacular, its Crush Claw, Fly, and Thrash are great for a primary offensive. Its flexibilities with Rock Slide to counter Ice-types and U-Turn as a general tactical move are also great.

Mandibuzz, on the other hand, is notable for its "especially" high defensive stats, but as Arlo said, there are some awkward speed/attack increases, which are not particularly useful. With that said, Mandibuzz's defensive stats are likely not to persuade someone to choose it over Braviary, with a whopping Base Defense and Base Special Defense of 105 and 95, respectively.

Those were my reasons for choosing Braviary. It's a shame that in Black and White neither can be obtained early.

---

P.S. Captain America? I thought Braviary was more Native American ~_~

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not too familiar with Mandibuzz, unfortunately. I know that we've gotten more than three years to make ourselves used to all the fifth generation Pokémon, but… I still haven't really been able to get myself to know a few in and out. xD;; As for Braviary—I love that one. I've used this Pokémon plenty of times when battling, and it's amazing.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • While Mandibuzz is well-designed, Braviary looks awesome and commanding. I raised both of them at the same time but... I prefer using an offensive Flying type over a defensive Flying type (unless if Skarmory :D).

Years
  • I know Braviary's the stronger of the two, but I'm going with the more underrated Mandibuzz. It's more defensive but I like its design plus we've had way less Dark/Flying as opposed to Normal/Flying. Having bones for a skirt? Definitely something unique and different.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Voted Braviary, but I like both in all honesty. Braviary made it easily into my top 10 right under Pidgeot who still sits at Number 1 XD

I wanted to make a little mention about Mandibuzz. Best thing about her is not only is she fairly decent physical wall, which 2 of her weaknesses pretty much surround, she can learn moves to check her four weaknesses.

Bonerush for Rock and Electric
    Steel Wing for Fairy(Gen 6) and Ice.

She doesn't get enough love, but she's fairly decent.

Years
  • I'll be that tenth vote for Braviary! It's super cool looking and one of my favorite birds if not my favorite. Mandibuzz is pretty good competitively but I won't put it on a higher pedestal because of that, hah. Really wish I trained my Braviary a bit more in B/W.

Years
  • Defog is nothing in the Fifth Generation, so I'd go for Braviary.
    Braviary having Sheer Force is just really cool.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Imma throw my vote in for poor ol' Mandi. I love her so much. =A=
    One, she's cute. I mean c'mon, she got that Pebbles Flintstone ponytail going on (including the bone hairpin), she's stylish with her flattering and yet thinning pencil skirt made of someone's spinal cord probably, and I just REALLY love bulky Pokemon. Foul Play is a beast move, and she has more than enough defenses and recovery to stall her opponents out. Toxic, Foul Play, Swagger, and Roost is probably my favorite defensive set, and as for my (in-game) offensive set I love using Brave Bird, Bone Rush, Foul Play, and Swagger. Though she doesn't have much offensive abilities, her offensive movepool is actually really fun to play around with. Mixed sets, special sets, physical, gimmicky sets; all of it's fun!

So yeah I'd def say ol' Mandibuzz. <3

(And guys please remember that this is not the 6th gen, so if you want to discuss her 6th gen version, go to that section)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Braviary. It's a hard hitter, has an amazing ability in Sheer Force, and it represents 'Murica has a really tough appearance that makes it look like a formidable opponent, which it is.

Years
  • To be honest, I'd say Braviary. Mandibuzz is defensive and all, but Braviary is good in attacks, looks tough and AMERICA! (Was that racist?) Plus Sheer Force is a great ability. Too bad though they aren't accessible early on the games, resulting me to use an Unfeazant.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Even though Mandibuzz is OU now, I still prefer Braviary, that thing is badass. Mandibuzz is ugly IMHO.

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
    Years
  • Mandibuzz is more useful, but I find Braviary cooler, design-wise.

... I guess I'd say Bravi, in the end. I'm superficial like that.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I caught Braviary in W2 and it's hidden ability Defiant has been very helpful in-game with so many NPC's using stat lowering moves.

Years
  • I like Braviary more than mandibuzz.I am using it in my blaze black 2 because
    1-Killing attack stats
    2-Nice move sets Brave bird,thrast,Rock slide and hone claws makes it a beast.
    3-OK SPEED
    4-Nice Hp
    5-over 500 individual stats
    6-GOOD HM slave fly,strength,cut
    7-Looks like a boss
    8-In all birds eagles are my favorite beasts On the other hand mandibuzz is
    1-Looks like a poor vulture.
    2-ugly design
    3-No offensive power
    4-If you have great defences but you lack speed and attack stats you will be haunted unless you are shuckle.
    5-limited flying attacks
    6-No attack increasing moves
    7-Not a good type mix You think A Honchkrow of same level as Mandibuzz will take down more foes before fainting.
    8-I agree it have excellent defence but it can only survive 2 attacks of foes while honchkrow can take 1 hit but honchkrow will kill its foe before taking a hit
    End-so as always Braviary is better.
    THANKS FOR READING!!

Back