• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you swim?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Yep, I can swim. I took lessons starting when I was 3, I think, and I was on a swim team at one point. I haven't really done much swimming in years, though. I wouldn't mind getting back into it (it's good exercise, and can be a lot of fun), but I don't have access to a pool at the moment.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • I used to love swimming. I learned how to swim when I was around seven and up until I was about 11 or 12, I went to the pool almost everyday during the summer. I haven't been to the pool ever since because the community life guard tells me to get out because I don't do much in the pool except do a couple laps every couple minutes. I would totally love to get in the pool again.

Years
  • When I was little I cant remember what age but my mum and I did joint swimming sessions with an instructor.
    But at one of my primary schools we had a swimming pool so we did PE in the swimming pools and at my other primary school in year 6 we were taken to our city swimming centre for p.e.
    I really do love swimming and its a shame im too lazy to get up out of bed.

Years
  • Never properly learned how to swim, never had a desire to do so. Had a bad experience with a pool when I was a kid that put me off ever going into water that I couldn't stand in, so I never bothered taking lessons because there was no way I was going into water that ever needed it anyway.

Even now, while I can swim somewhat (very basic stuff), I can't do it very well.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Think I was able to swim without any supports before I became a teenager. Though I haven't gone for a swim in a few years now!

Years
  • Ya, not very well anymore though. As a kid I used to go to the beach aaaaall the time but ever since we moved to the US I stopped being as interested/family didn't go as much. Doesn't help that half the time the beaches here are in gross condition which deters me a looot.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • nope

Never learned, was deathly afraid of drowning if I tried, and was never interested anyways. I will enter a pool but only to sit back and relax, not to swim around.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I learned at a pretty young age. My parents claim that I loved the water ever since I was a baby. My skills greatly improved when I was growing up and my mom threw me into swimming classes. I was encouraged to join the swim team, but with my atrocious grades during freshman year of high school, the athletic director was like "lolnope".

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • When I was little, I took swimming lessons. I then did swim team in the summer during grade school. Yes I know how to swim!

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    My mother found it very important to start learning most skills she thought to be basic at a young age (English, swimming, etc.), so I started swimming lessons in the summer before I knew my ABC by heart. At the time, I thought this new freestyle I invented, the "deadman", was ingenious. I quit swimming at nine years of age, and if you ever dump me in a pool without goggles anytime soon, I probably wouldn't last.

Years
  • I learnt as a kid but didn't do it properly for about a decade so I struggled in my later teen years. Nowadays, due to my excellent physical condition, I can swim reasonably well. I can only do the freestyle though. Backstroke and butterfly are beyond me now.

Years
  • I cant, never learned because I didn't have any interest in it, given the weather here the only time i'd ever be in water is an indoor pool so Its not high on my priorities.

Years
    • Age 29
    • She/Her
    • Seen Sep 8, 2022
    Yeah but I haven't gone for a swim in a while. I don't think I like it as much anymore.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I did learn to swim 'properly' in my youth, but I prefer the natural dog paddle.

About people whom claim to be unable to swim, well, every mammal can swim, I think, if pressed. Horses and dogs are never 'taught to swim' but they can to some extent cross reasonably calm water all the same. I don't see why humans should be any different, if not superior at this kind of thing, at least once they reach adolescence (I see a trend here of people learning when they're around eleven). I remember when I first learned to tread water I was just doing what felt intuitive anyway.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Yeah, learned pretty young. My sole memory of that period in my life is my swimming instructor (a stocky woman with the thickest Scottish accent you can imagine) yelling at all of us in the class to PUUUUUUUUUUSH against the wall whilst kicking up a storm. I can barely remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, but I'll remember that swimming instructor for the rest of my life.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Yup. My grandparents from my dad's side used to own a vacation home faraway from the city and it had a pool. I started playing in that pool when I was very young and I never really feared water. I think my dad started teaching how to swim when I was 6? I never took any classes, just kinda picked it up with some help because that place was very fun and my favorite thing was the pool ^-^.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • No one ever wanted to take the time to actually teach me how to swim. So I can't. But I plan on learning how very soon. So hopefully one day i will

Back