• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you swim?

Years
  • And when did you learn? I ask because I've heard from a couple people recently that they don't know how to swim which I thought was weird because I learned when I was really young.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Of course. Have a pool in the backyard. Great for Summer exercise.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I love to swim. I love being in the water. It makes me so happy, I feel so in my element. I've been swimming honestly since I can remember. When I was younger and lived with my grandparents, they had a pool in their backyard and they let me swim when I was still just a baby. Of course, I was in a floaty cause I couldn't really swim yet, but it was only a few years later that I learned how.

When I was in second grade I almost drowned. I got scarily close, actually. I was at a pool party for my friend Monica, (the super rich girl in the class with 2 doctor's for parents and a ridiculous mansion with an in ground pool) and I was swimming and having a great time. Playing with my friends, chilling, doing tricks, etc. Well, my friend Jessica got there and it all went downhill. Jessica didn't know how to swim, but she insisted on following me everywhere I went in the pool. Everywhere. I started heading for the deep end so I could keep doing tricks with my friends and before I knew it I was drowning. I couldn't get up. Jessica had followed me and was holding me under, pushing herself up above the water. It gets blurry here, and I don't know how much time I really spent under the water..but I know it was long enough for it to really really start hurting me and I remember thinking "I'm going to heaven today, I'm going to heaven today" over and over. Luckily, Monica's mom realized Jessica was holding me under and she jumped in (fully clothed) and got Jessica out so I could float back to the top and, well, breathe. My mom made me get out of the pool to make sure I was okay and didn't have any brain damage or anything. I was fine, so I got back in the pool.

Monica's mom called me a trooper for jumping back in, but to me it was just common sense. I didn't have a near-death experience because I didn't know how to swim. I wasn't bitter towards the water; I was kinda miffed at Jessica for not listening to me when I said NOT TO FOLLOW ME TO THE DEEP END but we made up and everything was fine. Oh, and I never swam with her again.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I was deadly afraid of the water as a child ever since I almost got lost in the fucking ocean if my Mom didn't save me. As I grew a bit older during my childhood swimming came naturally so I got used to it. No one helped me and I learned on my own so I'd say that's one of my better accomplishments in life. Of course I learned how to swim in a pool. I haven't been in actual pool for years though.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i can swim. i learned in like, 4th grade. after that though i moved around a lot and grew older and never shaved my legs and stuff so i never went swimming like ever but now that i live in alabama and it's hot i shave my legs and whatnot and now i go swimming again but i'm not very good at it. i mostly doggy paddle. ;v;

Sirfetch’d

I've been in the pool ever since I was about 6 months old. I probably learned to swim on my own when I was 4 maybe? My parents taught me at a very young age because my grandma had a pool and we were swimming there nearly every day in the summer.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I can, but I can't very well. I think a lot of this is due to my weight. I also love to swim because my mom started getting me into the water when I was actually very young. I also did take swimming lessons as a child too. I am somewhat afraid of drowning and have to have support from a pool noodle. I know it won't save my life, but it provides me with a sense of safety and security. I also wear diving goggles because I have a sensitivity to chlorine being in my eyes.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I think i learned how to swim at 6 years old, but its possible i learned younger. I have seen old pictures of myself with those floaty things on my arms younger than 6, so its possible.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Took swimming classes when I was around 6 years old and I've just known how to since then. I used to go on holiday quite a bit so that always helped when swimming in the hotel pools.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I would be one of those people who can't swim. :P When I go to the pool I just kind of splash around at the shallow end or float out on those puffy things.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    yep, i was on a swim team for 5 years. i even have a pool in my backyard.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • ^ pretty much the same as Cay, swam on swim team as a kid and now I'm even a swim instructor haha

Years
  • I can but I'm not particularly good at it. The only stroke I'm not laughable at is breaststroke. Mind you, this is probably because I'm self taught lol. I hated swimming lessons but still wanted to swim with friends so I learned.

Years
  • Well I live in the hot desert of Arizona, so you are pretty odd if you can't swim. Swimming is pretty much the only outdoor activity you can do here, so everyone I know is a pretty good swimmer.
    I learned to swim when I was 2, and all of our dads would swim with us and we learned how to float. I was on swim team for a while, until I learned how boring it is to swim laps over and over again.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    I did swimming lessons when I was a kid in elementary school. But when I moved to florida those swimming lessons stopped. Looking back I really wished they continued because if I was going to be part of any sports team in High School it likely would have been the swim team because I really do enjoy swimming.

But alas.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I really don't remember when I learned to swim. I'm pretty sure my mom taught me at a very young age. I love being in the water though. I don't swim as often as I would like to during the summer months just because time doesn't permit me to do so.

Years
  • I can! I was taught by friends when I was 11. I can't swim for great distances though since I'm rather unfit.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • Hell yeah! I was on a swim team in high school, and I still do competitive swimming from time to time.

In high school I had to shave my legs, but now I keep them hairy. We need more hairy-legged swimmers.

Back