• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Cartridge colour?

What colour will the physical copy be?

• Red/Blue like the GBA versions

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Grey like all 3DS games

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • Probably Red/Blue but I hope it's Grey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably Grey but I hope it's Red/Blue

Votes: 71 73.2%

• Total voters

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
Years
  • oooh if they are blue/red. i love them forever and ever. i never had a chance to play the originals, having the colored ones will make things so much more prettier. xP

Years
  • If they don't, it wouldn't wreck the games if you colored them. Atleast I hope.it wouldn't...I might try it. Lol jkjkjk

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I would love to see them back to their Ruby/Sapphire colors. That was one big thing I actually liked about those games even though it was so minor. But it will probably be a white/grey color.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I loved the color of the Ruby and Sapphire cartridges but they'll probably keep the 3DS standards and just be white.

Years
  • Saw a picture of a 3DS cartridge digitally altered to look like the ORAS games with the same red/blue design that was on the GBA cartridge. It was unbelievably cool, but I doubt they actually do something like that. Would be surprised if it's anything other than the regular cartridge color.

Years
  • I'd LOVE if they kept the same colours as the original cartridges but I'm sure they'll keep it grey; it'd be pretty cool if they made the sticker on the cartridge a really nice vivid red or blue (depending on the game) to make up for it :)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I didn't even realize that Nintendo 3DS cartridges were white/light gray until reading this thread. XD I thought they (at least the Pokemon X and Y ones) were dark red like the Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2 to take advantage of infrared communication...? (not sure if the 3DS has infrared capabilities built in or something..). I would really like the return of colored cartridges, although it seems like it hasn't been done for a long time, so it seems unlikely.. But nevertheless, there's still hope for it to possibly return (provided that the white color is just for aesthetic rather than a certain game function/feature)!

Probably the standard grey colour but it'd be nice if the cartridges were coloured ... Though looking at the EU packaging it will be the game's corresponding colour which is better than nothing I guess. (I like to display my game boxes.)

IIRC It's already confirmed that ORAS will have regular color cartridges except in Japan.

I hope they're red&blue but I think they're gonna be the regular ones.

Europe and Japan gets colored packages, at least!
    1.%20smile.gif
    I wonder why they gave the regular ones to the US...

Are we able to get sources for these instances of OR/AS European and Japanese packaging? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... In addition, I'm mainly able to track down box art itself, but not the box "coloration".. ~_~

Pretty sure there haven't been any different coloured 3DS cartridges yet, so it's unlikely to happen now. Why would ORAS get awesome cartridges and XY not? I'd like to see red/blue cartridges, but it probably won't happen.

Well, "X" and "Y" aren't really colors, so there's that.. :P (although I doubt anyone would've minded, given that the legendary version mascot Pokemon and the game logos for Pokemon X and Y use red and blue predominantly..)

Back then the cartridges were rather large, and giving popular titles like Pokémon unique colours was good for identifying them. Now they're all smaller cards, basically, and with rising costs of everything, changing a production line to create special coloured cartridges would be an extra unnecessary cost that increases the price of the games to where some people no longer can afford them. They will stay plain grey.

If they have the ability to change the box casing to colors like red and black instead of white/black (like for Wii/Wii U games, if I recall correctly), why would there be an obstacle to changing the cartridge color? (unless cartridge casing coloration changes costs more than box casing coloration changing..)

The games back then still costed the same for customers whether they were Grey or Red, Blue, Green.

Here's some trivia: Pokemon Emerald is the last Nintendo game have have had a colored cartridge. It's also the last Pokemon game to match the color of it's Cartridge (if one doesn't count Black 2 of course xD )

Haha, I remember buying Rocket: Robot On Wheels primarily because the cartridge was red (back when Funcoland displayed used cartridges bare on the shelves, with no packaging) and it stood out so much. {XD} Thankfully, the game was a blast in itself. :)

But wow, Pokemon Emerald's cartridge is even more special to me now that I know that tidbit... I really hope the tradition of cartridge coloration returns; I love seeing how the cartridges that are being played visually compare and contrast with the systems that they are in. {<3}

Saw a picture of a 3DS cartridge digitally altered to look like the ORAS games with the same red/blue design that was on the GBA cartridge. It was unbelievably cool, but I doubt they actually do something like that. Would be surprised if it's anything other than the regular cartridge color.

I feel like you're referring to something similar to these submissions (linked to below)...? (sadly, the image links aren't working properly for me at the moment.. In any case, the pictures were based off of the Game Boy Advance cartridge coloring of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire):...

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/250xjq/dear_nintendo_please_make_the_hoenn_cartridges/

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2515w5/you_liked_my_omega_ruby_cartridge_so_heres_alpha/

Just for lulz: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/251kmn/you_liked_my_ruby_and_sapphire_carts_now_heres_x/

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd personally like them to keep their cartridges the way they had been in the past; red/blue, and semi-transparent. To me, they looked very, very pretty. =) Would they actually do it, though? I don't know, probably not. They haven't been doing this sort of stuff lately with any of their games, so seeing that change right now is sort of unlikely.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I didn't even realize that Nintendo 3DS cartridges were white/light gray until reading this thread. XD I thought they (at least the Pokemon X and Y ones) were dark red like the Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2 to take advantage of infrared communication...? (not sure if the 3DS has infrared capabilities built in or something..). I would really like the return of colored cartridges, although it seems like it hasn't been done for a long time, so it seems unlikely.. But nevertheless, there's still hope for it to possibly return (provided that the white color is just for aesthetic rather than a certain game function/feature)!

Are we able to get sources for these instances of OR/AS European and Japanese packaging? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... In addition, I'm mainly able to track down box art itself, but not the box "coloration".. ~_~

Well, "X" and "Y" aren't really colors, so there's that.. :P (although I doubt anyone would've minded, given that the legendary version mascot Pokemon and the game logos for Pokemon X and Y use red and blue predominantly..)

If they have the ability to change the box casing to colors like red and black instead of white/black (like for Wii/Wii U games, if I recall correctly), why would there be an obstacle to changing the cartridge color? (unless cartridge casing coloration changes costs more than box casing coloration changing..)

Haha, I remember buying Rocket: Robot On Wheels primarily because the cartridge was red (back when Funcoland displayed used cartridges bare on the shelves, with no packaging) and it stood out so much. {XD} Thankfully, the game was a blast in itself. :)

But wow, Pokemon Emerald's cartridge is even more special to me now that I know that tidbit... I really hope the tradition of cartridge coloration returns; I love seeing how the cartridges that are being played visually compare and contrast with the systems that they are in. {<3}

I feel like you're referring to something similar to these submissions (linked to below)...? (sadly, the image links aren't working properly for me at the moment.. In any case, the pictures were based off of the Game Boy Advance cartridge coloring of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire):...

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/250xjq/dear_nintendo_please_make_the_hoenn_cartridges/

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2515w5/you_liked_my_omega_ruby_cartridge_so_heres_alpha/

Just for lulz: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/251kmn/you_liked_my_ruby_and_sapphire_carts_now_heres_x/

I think I was just being stupid I can't find anything either. Sorry!

Years
  • blue

gucci
    Years
  • Come to think of it the European and Japanese boxes for the games are Red/Blue, maybe the cartridges could be made the same colour to match?

10953895-1399475920-526574.jpg
    10953894-1399475920-526559.jpg

Those images are from the Official Nintendo Store online from the UK.

Years
  • Well, "X" and "Y" aren't really colors, so there's that.. :P (although I doubt anyone would've minded, given that the legendary version mascot Pokemon and the game logos for Pokemon X and Y use red and blue predominantly..)
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. X and Y are kind of red/blue coloured, so it would have made sense to have red/blue cartridges... if they were going to do it, I think they'd have done it then and not with ORAS now. Still, you never know!

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I've seen the clear red and blue ones from Reddit before and I really hope they're like that , but sadly they haven't had special color cartridges since Emerald so I doubt they will do anything special. They will go with the grey/white ones once again, but I'd love the red and blue ones like the originals. Specially colored game cards are rare to find nowadays so it would be a nice surprise.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I think I was just being stupid I can't find anything either. Sorry!

No problems; Hoenn news and stuff can understandably get hectic! Thanks for trying, though.

Well, serebii mentioned it once... But you can see it in these videos too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUTtvAlbms
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJEyj6ctTQ

Ah, thanks for clarifying! Ugh, this slight difference in provisional/tentative boxart is going to bug me until release. XD So, based on the "New Hoenn Adventure" trailers variants with tentative boxart, the North American variant features white box casing, while the United Kingdom and Japanese variants both display version-corresponding red/blue box casing..

I just glanced at this border difference on Reddit, and I initially thought that the colored box casing might be a reason that Europe's release is apparently getting delayed by a week, but then I saw that the Japanese variant of the "New Hoenn Adventure" OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire trailer has colored casing despite the Japanese release still matching the general worldwide release date of November 21st, 2014... I'm really hoping that The Pokemon Company (International)/Nintendo just lets all the countries/release regions/territories have colored casing so we can all be happy.. @_@ Surely altering colored casing isn't that much of a hassle.. And New Super Mario Bros. 2 apparently got yellow-colored box casing in certain territories, so it's not like it's impossible/hasn't been done before.. :<

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I wish that it's red or blue cartridge, because this is what makes the original Ruby and Sapphire unique in certain way. So I voted for red and blue.

Back