• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Censorship changes

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    Does this apply to usernames? What is being done about people with offensive usernames?
    People with inappropriate usernames are dealt with by staff, granted that they're reported if spotted. It all depends on how severe it is though, so I doubt every username containing words in the swear filter will get dealt with.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Does this apply to usernames? What is being done about people with offensive usernames?

Just adding onto what Olli said, I don't believe usernames get censored by the new toggle feature. Similar to pictures with swears in it, this would inevitably be bypassing the new toggle feature and thus should be reported accordingly.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    What's the point of the enabled and disabled options when both seem to disable censorship?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    What do you mean? Disabling the censor allows you to see what would be censored if you enable it.
    There are four options: Enabled, Disabled, Asterisks, Hearts. The first two of these appear to have the same effect of disabling the censor; one, it seems, is redundant.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    There are four options: Enabled, Disabled, Asterisks, Hearts. The first two of these appear to have the same effect of disabling the censor; one, it seems, is redundant.

Enabled, Asterisks, and Hearts should all censor the swear words. Disabled is the only one that should turn off the censor.

Enabled produces Pokemon names for swears, such as psyduck, muk, etc.
    Hearts produces hearts in place of swears.
    Asterisks produces asterisks.
    Disabled shows the words, whatever they may be.

If a setting is displaying incorrectly for you, i.e. seeing swears on posts despite having a censor enabled, let us know so we can alert the people who do the coding. :)

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Just adding onto what Olli said, I don't believe usernames get censored by the new toggle feature. Similar to pictures with swears in it, this would inevitably be bypassing the new toggle feature and thus should be reported accordingly.

Usernames actually have an individual censor built into vBulletin which we still have running, and that should catch most of them itself and prevent their registration.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Usernames actually have an individual censor built into vBulletin which we still have running, and that should catch most of them itself and prevent their registration.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I honestly didn't knuw that; thanks for the clarification.

Years
    So choosing enable, asterisks and hearts will filter the swear words right?
    Correct. When you choose Enable, you'll see various Pokémon names in place. Choosing asterisks will be like "***" and Hearts will be "♥♥♥".

Nihilego

Years
    just a heads-up guys, i played around a bit with settings to make them easier to understand but as a result some of your censor settings may have changed so maybe double-check in your usercp and try turning them on and off again before reporting bugs and whatnot

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
    yeah I may be experiencing some bugs because I can still see people swearing while the filter is enabled while some are already censored

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm...

Shouldn't the Asterisks and Hearts option not change the length of the censored word? Having everything be three characters long when it's enabled looks weird.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
    Years
    Shouldn't there be some kind of filter when you are registering and picking a username?

Nihilego

Years
    Ok so some names just fall under the cracks. Understood.

Some do every now and then. If you've seen a name which you think is offensive then your best bet would be to PM me with it and I'll see if anything can be done / it can be added to the filter. You could report it too but in cases like this you've already got me here so it'd be a bit faster for getting the name potentially filtered and whatnot, haha.

Nakala Pri

Okay, I didn't turn off the swear word censor but swear words are getting through. For example, I can see it in Alex's signature and his thread in General Chat, I can see it in quotes and ugh, I'm getting really ticked off. I tried hearts but it didn't work and I was wondering if it had something to do with the skin I'm using?

You know the Care Bears? You guys are the Swear Bears. *slams door*

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Okay, fixed a few glitches here and there. There was an issue where some signatures wouldn't be censored, deletion reasons weren't censored, and posts sporadically switched back and forth (don't ask.)

So that means I can put my profanely humourous signature back? I don't want to risk things and don't have time to turn the filter on... :\

Back