• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Changing Opinions

Years
  • Our tastes naturally change over time, even if only a little bit. So are there any anime or manga that you didn't like at all at one time but grew to think more highly of? Or, alternatively, that you liked at one point but are less fond of retroactively?

Years
  • I watched DBZ as a kid and loved it, but when I got older I got less fond of it and really started disliking the art style for some reason. But around early 2022, or maybe late 2021, we started watching DBZ Super and I like it all over again. The art, while being noticeably different to the classic series, grew on me and I enjoy it now and plan to continue keeping up wit the series if we can. Super iconic and the characters are fun!

Years
  • When I was younger, I found it relatively easy to find manga or anime that I'd be happy to watch the whole way through. Nowadays I probably spend more time trying to find a good one to read/watch than actually doing the reading/watching! I'm finding more and more that the writing is repetitive and predictable and painful. Though, I have a feeling it's always been like this and I'm just becoming more aware of things like "Hey, I've seen this plotline 4 times before." and "This character is just that character, right?" which makes me sad that I can't just enjoy the things anymore :(

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I think I need to rewatch Cowboy Bebop and Eva at some point. Back when I watched those shows I wasn't quite in the headspace and as a result I didn't really feel like I got anything out of it. Nowadays it would probably be a bit different. I think the same could also be said about a couple other 90s anime, as well.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I watch a lot less anime in general, period. Part of it is me growing out of it, and part of it because I need something that is less taxing on my ears than the exaggerated and sometimes artificial-soundng dubbing in this genre. I read a lot more manga in comparison, especially if they adapt video games I like.

That said, there are two specific examples I can mention where I completely lost interest after having liked them for a long time - Zatch Bell/Konjiki no Gash, and Yu-Gi-Oh. True, I did use to dislike them at first, and then came to love them... only to go back to my initial viewpoint for one reason or another. That KnG has an ongoing sequel that is unnecessarily edgy on top of the original's depressing premise absolutely does not help its case. Worse, I wish I could say I cherish the good memories that they both gave me, but right now that's only true for a specific Yu-Gi-Oh series - Zexal. I still keep my Gagaga cards close to my heart, but that's as far as my involvement with the series goes nowadays.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Probably the easiest one to pick on and what's freshest in my mind since it was brought up in a VC around a week ago would be Elfen Lied. I remember back in middle school, watching it two or three times over the course of a single year because I thought it was one of the best shows ever. It's not quite in that top 100 ranking anymore, but it's still not awful. Its funny to me sometimes when people will rank Tokyo Ghoul (season 1) as one of their favorite anime, but then go hard on bashing Elfen Lied when they're conceptually very similar shows, with a lot of tonal consistency between them and some shared plot points.

Another that I've kind of moved on from would be Another (ha). I remember getting recommended it a lot back when it came out and hopped on the wagon of it being something game changing.... but it's not. It's in the same league as Elfen Lied for me as something that's just 'good'.

One that kind of grew on me was Black Clover. I remember watching the first 10 or so episodes before dropping it for later the first time, but it's definitely since moved up my list since finishing the anime and watching the movie. It's sitting at like a 6 overall for me right now, but I can say I'm ready for the next arc at least.

Back