• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing your name after marriage

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
    No, I think im going with the normal one (in my religion), my partner changes her last name to mine, since in my religion the kids follows their dad. But hey that doesnt mean the Dad is more important than the Mom.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Not sure what I want to do as of yet. I like my last name but having the last names be the same would make things look a little easier. Hyphenating it would be too long, but maybe I'd put my last name as my middle name or something.

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
    Years
    I'm not sure if I would change my name. I'd probably prefer it if my partner took my name, but I can't really say for sure.

Hyphening the two names seems like a nice idea, but it may sound weird xD

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    I don't really want to change my last name, but neither would I want my partner to. Hyphenating them could work, but it would be considerably long and might sound odd. I'll have to figure this mess out when it comes down to it, which probably wouldn't be for another ten+ years, at least, lol.

Years
    I would follow the legal process of my country and have it where the one who marries me changes her last name to mine, or if they disagree, at least my last name hyphenated to theirs.

Years
    I think there is logic behind both sides of the hyphen, so to say! Traditionally the woman should take the man's last name in marriage, so I think that should be the default go to.

However, depending on the woman's family line, occupation and even brand recognition could lead her to hyphenate. What I mean by brand is if she owns her own company, is a figure in the public eye, or otherwise relies on her name for recognition she should probably hyphenate to not confuse anything! : )

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'd be okay with changing mine if I were to get married. I don't really like my name, anyway.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No. I never liked the idea; the cultural attitude that perpetuated this practice makes it imply ownership.
    If someone doesn't like their surname, they can change it or use a pseudonym anyway.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
    Whichever one of us has the prettiest name lol

Last name Snow or something like that I'll take it

Last name Cesspouch or Queer (people actually have these last names) we're takin' mine.

... if I ever get married that is :P

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Whichever last name is cooler would be fine with me. Even if I'm with a girl, I don't really care, lol.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I dont think I need to change my name if I ever do get married which I dont know if that will ever happen. I dunno how I feel about the hyphen thing, I see no reason why I cant just keep my last name.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I would change my name to match the woman's name. to be quite frank, I can't see me ever getting married, let alone going out with someone.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
    If their name's better than mine then I'll change in a heartbeat because I hate my last name. At the very least I'd refuse letting them take my name because I don't want them to marry into such garbage and be shamed because they have to carry the weight of a stupid last name.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
    Depends on who has the prettiest, yeah. :P

I wouldn't mind changing mine to his, and I hope he would feel the same way. If anything, we could get it hyphenated.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I wouldn't really mind having to change my last name, honestly. I have to spell it for people every time, because nobody knows how. x; I'm just lucky I only have my father's last name, and not both...my mother's maiden name is even harder to spell. I really am not sure if I can spell it correctly, in all honesty.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'll change my name. The only downside is that we're fairly well known around here, so no one would get to say "Hey, are you related to so and so?" anymore, haha. Hyphenation is out of the question because I just find those...they just look odd to me and excessive. Plus, if I were to marry someone whose last name also ends with an n, it would sound ridiculous hyphenated haha. But yeah, changing my last name to the name of my husband's seems fitting for me. It would really be joining us together, though bear in mind, that's just how I was raised. n__n If you don't wanna change your name, that's fine and more power to you. Also, I'm looking forward to not being last in line because my last name starts with a W and it kinda sucks.

I used to hate my last name, but I was named after my paw paw and ever since he passed away, I've found more of a love for my name, both first and last.

Back