• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheating - when is it okay?

When is it okay?

• It's NEVER okay!

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • It's okay if you don't really abuse it.

Votes: 62 57.4%
  • It's okay if you want to, but I wouldn't do it.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Man, cheating is AWESOME! Diglett knows FLY?! HELL YEAH!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    I used to think the last answer when I was on a new forum (isn´t existing anymore, it got deleted shortly before the release of Platinum in Europe) where the main point was cheating. First of all, it was really fun but after a while, it just got boring (even if it´s just cheating yourself the Lunar Wing again cuz you wanna keep it and STILL being able to catch Cresselia!^^) . Since then, I think 2 is the way to go. Cheating is okay when you´re only doing it to get events like Celebi (which us Europeans still haven´t gotten in an honest way for 11 years now... and we´re still waiting...) !^^

And @shininglatios: Another reason why Mew´s not that rare anymore is that you can get one in My Pokemon Ranch!^^

Green20

Nomad
    Years
    I used to do it when I was younger but then I developed a challenging attitude so I stopped...and recently my little brother and I have been doing quick run-throughs with each generation(excluding D,P,PT cuz I don't have one) but we got HG,SS and I was beating him by three gyms then he used an action replay and beat me in the same day.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    If its not to gain an unfair advantage in competative battling then meh, it's not a big deal imo.

The only cheats I can say i've used in RBY are the mew cheat and the glitch that lets you skip Brock's gym.

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    The only time it's ok to cheat is when
    1. Playing r/b/y and cheating for mew.
    2. If your the only one within miles who still plays a color/metal generation pokemon game.
    3. If a pokemon is impossible to get otherwise.
    4. You wanna freak out your younger siblings.
    Example: Little brother "Go! Mewtwo(Lv100)!" Big Brother"Go Magikarp(Lv100)!" Little brother"Hahhaaha. This'll be easy. Psychic!!" Big Brother"Magikarp, use Hyper beam" *Mewtwo has fainted. Use next Pokemon?* Little brother"Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?!?!?!??!?!?!??!??!?"

Gameshark: 1|Younger siblings: 0

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
    In this generation of games, it doesn't really matter if you're cheating or not. I personally think cheating is ok if you've played through the game and are just having fun. Don't see the harm in it, its your game.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I think cheating doesn't matter in Gen 1 as you all ready would off played the game's a million times :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I don't even actually know how to cheat. Is it done with an emulator or a gameshark or something like that? I don't even really know what either of those things are, to be honest :).

I do remember maybe 12 or so years ago back when I was playing pokemon Blue, my little brother taught me the cheat where you go to Cinnabar Island, surf up and down next to the gym, catch the missing no. pokemon, have the rare candy as the 6th item in your inventory, go visit that guy in Viridian City....Something like that. To be honest, I don't even really remember. At any rate, I used the cheat for fun one game to level my pokemon to 100 and duplicate master balls to catch multiple legendary pokemon.

But really, it wasn't a big deal. I only did it that once for fun, and I didn't really think of it as cheating, because I restarted that game all the time and I didn't always use the duplication trick. Just when I was bored for something to do. It's not like I ever traded or battled or competed with anyone outside of the game, so what did it matter?

The only time I have actually "cheated," I guess, was to get my pokemon in Emerald up to level 60 so they could match the other pokemon's levels in the Open Level bracket of the Battle Frontier. Usually they are early to mid 50s in level after defeating the Elite Four, and it's a pain to grind levels, so I just feed them rare candies so I can play in the Battle Frontier. I don't really see that as a big deal because again, I'm not competing with anyone but the game, and the Rare Candies certainly don't power them up at all. Regular levelling probably would make them more powerful, if I understand EVs properly.

The only times cheating would never be okay, in my opinion, is if you battle with your friends or in competitions with pokemon you've taught illegal moves to....Even then, shinies and whatnot are fine, as long as you don't pretend you caught the shiny in a random battle. Who cares about coloring, anyways?

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    It's only when like my legit Heartgold and I plan to do some WIFI battling. As in, raising them all to LVL 100 quick. I don't consider it cheating, I consider it LEGIT cheating 'cause I'm not making all the stats to 999

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    Eh, it's okay. It's your game, you have fun with it. And if your way of having fun is using a cheating device, shoot for it. Like others have said before me, as long as you don't use it to cheat during a linked battle thing, then there's nothing wrong with it to me.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Does having a flying Kangaskhan from the MissingNO. glitch count?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    If you want to cheat to acquire pokemon you can't get any other way so you can complete your pokedex, okay, I think that's fine.

But cloning pokemon and items is cheating. Teaching moves in a way that wasn't meant to be done is cheating. Using glitches to your advantage is cheating. Making Kangaskan appear outside the safari zone is cheating.

I mean I guess if you're just experimenting with stuff and not using them in multiplayer or using them to progress through the game then it's not bad.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    I only cheat when I'm finished with the game. That's the only time I do it, unless I'm having trouble. (like when I'm battling Brock in Yellow and I only have a Pikachu...)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Cheating's fine in one's own singleplayer game, but the moment they involve other people... well again I'm mostly indifferent, but a cheater shouldn't expect anyone to be symapthetic.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    If you're going to play alone, feel free to cheat your heart out. However, when it comes to getting those "unobtainable" Pokemon, there are glitches for that, so there's really no point in cheating.

On the other hand, I am perfectly fine with "Fan-made Events" just as long as they aren't used in competitive play. Even at that, however, I don't think thay should be given max stats. I once PokeSav'd a shiny Muchlax (holding Lemonade) in commemoration of a Spring Picnic (OT/ SPICNIC) back in high school, Wonder Card and all.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I cheat to get what's unobtainable. Like an unused item or a half-deleted map. And when I beat the game, I treat myself to a little fun. Like a Pokemon knowing moves that it normally shouldn't. As long as I don't use it for actual cheating, just fun. One more exception in my opinion is if you don't have a masterball, cheat to get one, and save it for shinies. You never know when they'll appear and you'd best be ready for them.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    My thing with cheating is that its fine. In-fact I do it a lot, after I beat the game. I play the game as usual. Catch Pokemon, raise them, battle trainers, the usual. I'll play the game as if cheating devices were never invented. After I beat it though, I have fun by cheating around. I'll use codes to catch Pokemon only found in a different game(because I don't have the other game or way to trade), a walk through walls code for faster travel, codes to get items you can only get through events(because going to an actual Pokemon event is not an option for me), or a move modifying code(because its just fun). I think beating Falkner a second time, but with a Totodile that knows Thunderbolt is very fun. I wouldn't ever cheat a Pokemon to raise stats, change moves, etc. then battle someone with it. That's over kill, and no fun :( If they had cheatymon I'd battle 'em with mine though xD

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    I think cheating isn't cool at all. I've never been much of a cheater because, once you start hacking pokemon, the whole value of the game decreases.

Eg. Once you can whip up level 100's in a few seconds with your cheats, what is the point of ever training a pokemon again?

A few months back, me and a few mates decided to all start Pokemon HG/SS together.. The next time we met up, they'd both had all hacked and shiny pokemon, and i refused to battle or trade with them. They payed out on me for refusing to cheat, ect. Anyway, now i'm still here today playing on the same save file , training up a ton of pokemon, completeing the pokedex.. and them? they haven't touched the game in weeks.

tl;dr?
    Cheating is a bad habit. Litterally, the more you cheat, the less desire you have to play games.

Back