• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Chibi style - thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Expect that technology has advanced a lot since then. So, the games really should stick to the current technology instead of going back to the past.

It looks bad though. newer technology just means more options, there are plenty of great games that don't heavily rely on graphics.
    The game quality really dropped off when they started moving to console, so if they could make a better game sticking to just hand held,
    I doubt anyone would be upset about that.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I like the art style, but to be honest I find it a bit unpolished. I think LGPE (and Link's Awakening, also chibi style) looks better quality-wise, and has more... charm, I guess? I'm not sure what exactly bothers me right now in BDSP, but I'm hoping that they'll be making some adjustments before release. To be honest it's already growing on me, so I'm sure that with a few tweaks I'm going to like it a lot more.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    It looks bad though. newer technology just means more options, there are plenty of great games that don't heavily rely on graphics.
    The game quality really dropped off when they started moving to console, so if they could make a better game sticking to just hand held,
    I doubt anyone would be upset about that.

Aww, you sound like another who can't accept that technology has changed and advanced. Not that there's anything wrong with being old fashioned mind you.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Aww, you sound like another who can't accept that technology has changed and advanced. Not that there's anything wrong with being old fashioned mind you.

no I'm just saying in this case it got worse, like I said, better technology just means more options, how those options are used, is what makes
    the difference in objective quality.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    no I'm just saying in this case it got worse, like I said, better technology just means more options, how those options are used, is what makes
    the difference in objective quality.

Then again I have played this style on Nintendo Switch RPGs and I liked the games a lot. So, in the end don't judge a game by the way it looks I guess.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I think the OWs look terrible but they're also really funny so it balances out

Years
  • I wouldn't mind the art style so much if it wasn't so cheaply done. Bravely default made that style their own and more modern in its own way, more details and seemingly more thought. Even an X/Y style would be preferable and an interesting upgrade to the original. When the original game first came out, it was new and interesting for the time. But this new version doesn't seem to add anything in the way of style or art. No innovation, no special details to "step it up". Just modifications in shapes and color. Idk that I'd be able to get over the extra toddler looking graphics. Pretty disappointed overall and as someone mentioned, can't see it being worth $60/$70. If it's in the $30 range I'd consider it.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    in this case it's possible the issue is less with technology changing and more with masuda not being able to change with it and having too much sway over things.
    especially given that ILCA's previous works like dragon quest 11 & neir look vastly better then any gamefreak has made and ILCA has not made any chibi style games before this as far as i'm aware, so i wouldn't be surprised if the chibi style was masuda's choice.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2021
    It's something I know I'll probably get used to, not really a big fan of it right now. Some form of character customization would also be very welcome!

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2021
    I like the chibi style but in my perspective it is to return to something that we had advanced 3 generations to take into account the chibis.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ok, so I always felt like the Sinnoh story was a bit heavier than the previous ones. A super cute super bright colory artstyle just doesn't fit this. I wish they will polish the graphics a bit more (see Link's Awakening) and consider the colors and maybe it'll still be okay, but it just doesn't fit the serious theme of the game imo. These old games had atmosphere. BDSP feels like a toybox. Cute but... Wrong.

I think they should have continued in the Alola games' art style instead.

Years
  • Looks fine to me. Is it my favourite thing ever? No. But it's not something that's going to impact my enjoyment of the game in any meaningful manner.

Years
    • he, him, his
    • NC
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were announced in today's ptesentation, and they have a very chibi style unlike most other Pokemon games. They can be compared to Let's Go stylistically, but are even more cartoony when human characters are concerned. This seems to be very hit or miss with people so far.

What do you think of this style?

Not really a fan of chibi style.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I think it looks a bit off, the overworld sprites have always looked off to me.
    It looks good, but it gives me the same vibes as mega mewtwo x and y, cool but odd.

Back