• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Club Fairy Tail!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Just dropping by to, well, rant.

Why does Mashima do this? Why? I just...don't get it.

With Fairy Tail, Mashima's got a series with an overall story that actually ties most of its loose ends really well. Which is great. Case in point - the entire reveal behind the dragons being where they were hidden and why - also, natsu and other dragon slayers being from the past. The part about Heartfilia family playing an important role in the functioning of the gate. Good stuff. He's built up this world of magic and has used it pretty well to tell a story spanning hundreds of years to a decent effect. And the main story that started it all - the story of Zeref as a character - is done pretty well, too. Master - Zeref flashback was AMAZING. It almost brought me to tears and Zeref's past is so tragic yet so well handled that I was almost taken aback. In fact, if the entire story of the series centered around Zeref and not Natsu and co., I'd have LOVED it a lot more. But that's me digressing from the point.

What I want to say is this - you've got a nice overall structure and some great short stories in there. Some great characters too, definitely. And the art is so fucking on point despite the mangaka releasing multiple chapters in a week at times that it is surprising. There's a lot of good stuff here.

BUT. But Mashima HAS to fuck things up on a consistent basis or it just won't be Fairy Tail. There's a lot of bullshit NAKAMA powerup in here and I can somehow overlook it to a degree (even though the degree to which it is used in FT is, quite frankly, absurd. Even by SJ standards), but then he goes and pulls a lot of other shit that makes me absolutely despise parts of the series. He creates tension in the story - either through villains or through the "deaths" of characters just to fucking piss all over it and go "TROLOLOLOLOL" on us later. Remember when the Zeref's book of demons were hyped so much? Happy got rid of one of those demons (the one who was about to nuke the town) by pulling him in the air. What's the outcome? A super powerful demon self-destructed for us to be greeted by Happy with an afro. A. FUCKING. AFRO. Do you know how ridiculous that is? Yes? Because I don't know IT IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO MEASURE WITH A YARD-STICK. I don't know how to articulate my feelings on the matter apart from saying I was really, really pissed off when he pulled that. Really.

And he's done that numerous times, you know? Pull us into a "desperate" situation with an apparently "SUPER POWERFUL VILLAIN" and then completely shat on that said villain for the 'happy' route. Future Rogue got one-punch'd by Natsu. One-Punch. You're not Saitama, Natsu. :/

And the latest in the series of these moments is the whole Gajeel situation. You make it seem like he's truly dying. And we have this really, really emotional moment with some really nice quotes going on. Fast forward a few chapters and we find out that the character is probably gonna be all good. Plus, if THAT wasn't enough, Mashima will throw in an extra large serving of "Zera" too. Because bringing back a character who died a few chapters ago to life wasn't enough, let's also bring back another character whose death (or lack of life) played a really significant role in an arc that was tens if not hundreds of chapters ago. Let's just fuck the weight behind that arc up too while I'm at it, you know?

I'm not even THAT mad about the Gajeel situation in particular. In fact, my reaction to it was more of a "meh, as expected..." than a "FUCK YOU MASHIMA". It is more like...he never learns. He just doesn't learn. He could use this story and its characters to craft a really, really effective tale with some really, really heavy moments - ones that'd stay with you long after you've finished the series. But no. Why take that route when you can absolutely destroy every goddamn villain you hype up and force a happy ending all the time?

I'm just disappointed, is all. I love your art, Mashima. And I love a lot of arcs. And I love the characters and the shippings. But you're the reason Fairy Tail could never hope to reach the heights other popular shounen do - if not in terms of popularity, at least in terms of quality of writing.

(I know I'll probably get a lot of flak for this post since most of the people here love the series but eh. Wanted to get it off my chest.)

Years
    ^ You haven't said anything I've not already thought of or brought up with my friends, but you forgot another issue with Fairy Tail: fan-fan-fan service.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
    Just dropping by to, well, rant.

Why does Mashima do this? Why? I just...don't get it.

With Fairy Tail, Mashima's got a series with an overall story that actually ties most of its loose ends really well. Which is great. Case in point - the entire reveal behind the dragons being where they were hidden and why - also, natsu and other dragon slayers being from the past. The part about Heartfilia family playing an important role in the functioning of the gate. Good stuff. He's built up this world of magic and has used it pretty well to tell a story spanning hundreds of years to a decent effect. And the main story that started it all - the story of Zeref as a character - is done pretty well, too. Master - Zeref flashback was AMAZING. It almost brought me to tears and Zeref's past is so tragic yet so well handled that I was almost taken aback. In fact, if the entire story of the series centered around Zeref and not Natsu and co., I'd have LOVED it a lot more. But that's me digressing from the point.

What I want to say is this - you've got a nice overall structure and some great short stories in there. Some great characters too, definitely. And the art is so ****ing on point despite the mangaka releasing multiple chapters in a week at times that it is surprising. There's a lot of good stuff here.

BUT. But Mashima HAS to **** things up on a consistent basis or it just won't be Fairy Tail. There's a lot of bull**** NAKAMA powerup in here and I can somehow overlook it to a degree (even though the degree to which it is used in FT is, quite frankly, absurd. Even by SJ standards), but then he goes and pulls a lot of other **** that makes me absolutely despise parts of the series. He creates tension in the story - either through villains or through the "deaths" of characters just to ****ing piss all over it and go "TROLOLOLOLOL" on us later. Remember when the Zeref's book of demons were hyped so much? Happy got rid of one of those demons (the one who was about to nuke the town) by pulling him in the air. What's the outcome? A super powerful demon self-destructed for us to be greeted by Happy with an afro. A. ****ING. AFRO. Do you know how ridiculous that is? Yes? Because I don't know IT IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO MEASURE WITH A YARD-STICK. I don't know how to articulate my feelings on the matter apart from saying I was really, really pissed off when he pulled that. Really.

And he's done that numerous times, you know? Pull us into a "desperate" situation with an apparently "SUPER POWERFUL VILLAIN" and then completely shat on that said villain for the 'happy' route. Future Rogue got one-punch'd by Natsu. One-Punch. You're not Saitama, Natsu. :/

And the latest in the series of these moments is the whole Gajeel situation. You make it seem like he's truly dying. And we have this really, really emotional moment with some really nice quotes going on. Fast forward a few chapters and we find out that the character is probably gonna be all good. Plus, if THAT wasn't enough, Mashima will throw in an extra large serving of "Zera" too. Because bringing back a character who died a few chapters ago to life wasn't enough, let's also bring back another character whose death (or lack of life) played a really significant role in an arc that was tens if not hundreds of chapters ago. Let's just **** the weight behind that arc up too while I'm at it, you know?

I'm not even THAT mad about the Gajeel situation in particular. In fact, my reaction to it was more of a "meh, as expected..." than a "**** YOU MASHIMA". It is more like...he never learns. He just doesn't learn. He could use this story and its characters to craft a really, really effective tale with some really, really heavy moments - ones that'd stay with you long after you've finished the series. But no. Why take that route when you can absolutely destroy every goddamn villain you hype up and force a happy ending all the time?

I'm just disappointed, is all. I love your art, Mashima. And I love a lot of arcs. And I love the characters and the shippings. But you're the reason Fairy Tail could never hope to reach the heights other popular shounen do - if not in terms of popularity, at least in terms of quality of writing.

(I know I'll probably get a lot of flak for this post since most of the people here love the series but eh. Wanted to get it off my chest.)

You make a lot of valid points here. I guess that's just Trollshima for you, he's become pretty predictable, in terms of how each arc plays out. You should join the club, we're always looking for new members! :)

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    ^ You haven't said anything I've not already thought of or brought up with my friends, but you forgot another issue with Fairy Tail: fan-fan-fan service.

I love that aspect of Fairy Tail, tbh. So it is far from an issue - it is a positive aspect of the series for me. One of the selling points. XD; I know it can detract from the immersion for a lot of people when Natsu suddenly ends up in Lucy's crotch every 4th or 5th panel but, well, it doesn't affect me. I enjoy the fanservice in FT a lot.

As for me joining the club, why not? How do I sign up?

Years
    Sign-up form for the club is in the first post. Also, fan-service isn't meant to be used every fourth and fifth panel. It's a joke, and jokes don't work when you drop the same one with slightly different context every five minutes. I thought it was funny way back when you saw it once in a while and it was pretty normal Shounen regulation. Now there's crazy stuff like this beauty right here -_- And even comparing the art from earlier arcs to now women's bodies are soooo sexy, even Wendy who was twelve years old and Mashima played it off with that Doranbolt joke.

DarkestMidnight

Years
    Sign-up form for the club is in the first post. Also, fan-service isn't meant to be used every fourth and fifth panel. It's a joke, and jokes don't work when you drop the same one with slightly different context every five minutes. I thought it was funny way back when you saw it once in a while and it was pretty normal Shounen regulation. Now there's crazy stuff like this beauty right here -_- And even comparing the art from earlier arcs to now women's bodies are soooo sexy, even Wendy who was twelve years old and Mashima played it off with that Doranbolt joke.

I personally enjoy the fanservice (maybe because I'm a guy(?)), but I will admit that it is overdone sometimes. *Cough* Fairy Tail Anime Episode 163 *Cough*

Years
    I've noticed the Erza fanservice has been up there, like with her boobs flying all over the place and shit, ah well, I don't mind it too much.
    And yes you can use it!

DarkestMidnight

Years
    I've noticed the Erza fanservice has been up there, like with her boobs flying all over the place and ****, ah well, I don't mind it too much.
    And yes you can use it!

Yeah, a lot of Erza fanservice. I feel like we get the most from her out of everyone in the series. I feel like Erza has a secret dirty side to her, because if you remember the Tenrou Island Arc where she's fighting Azuma and she has that weird internal monologue about her seduction armor. I think she said it was for "private use", implying that she uses it on her own time.

Anyways, thanks Hades, I love your DeviantArt page too btw.

EDIT: Nvm, it won't let me use that pic for some reason. Oh well, I'll just keep the one I already have.

I've been finding weird FT ships on the internet lately that don't make any sense to me. For example, Rogue x Kagura (don't get me wrong, I love this one), Future Rogue x Levy, Rogue x Erza, Rogue x Lisanna, and the most confusing of all, Lyon x Kagura.

Spoiler:

I'm actually starting to like Rogue x Kagura now :)

Last edited:

DarkestMidnight

Years
    Well tbh, I don't have too much to say about this week's chapter:

Spoiler:

Years
    Spoiler:

DarkestMidnight

Years
    Spoiler:

No matter how much I love Eileen, I have to admit doing that to Hisui was a total dick move. Eileen was super savage in general this chapter.

How about we start another featured character discussion? Any suggestions?

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
    i want natsu to be my boyfriend
    or or or gildarts
    but not grey i dont think, he is a bit like; omg im so awesome love me more juvia{XD}​

Back