• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • Even one slot machine would count as gambling references which would get it a higher rating. And 'scary themes' tend to not up the rating. So yeah, even if they had one slot machine, that would be too much.

As for the Bell Tower, it's probably a more accurate translation. Since in Japanese the other tower is like called Metal Tower. Tin is a metal, so the counterpart doesn't work too well.

The really annoying thing is that the ESRB chose to harp on the Slot Machines now, after 11 main series have been released since the days of RBY (at least a 10-year difference, IIRC). Even the instances of 'Gambling' descriptor was not present on all those main series games that contained the Slot Machines. I was happy that Platinum avoided the issue of having the Slots removed, but the sudden reversal of ESRB's stance of them a year later in HG/SS just irks me. I'm grateful that at least Voltorb Flip is in the place of the Slots and not that horrendous edit I heard about to Platinum's Slot Machines in Europe. The ESRB just...surprises me, sometimes.

Bell Tower would've been perfectly OK with me had it been used on another stand-alone tower in a future main series Pokemon game. It's the fact that the translators gave another name to a location whose previous name was well established (even in the anime). I still thought the Brass-Tin naming convention worked well in the US, though.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I am completely overjoyed that there is no contest hall. I found them to be annoying and tedious, and never bothered with them. Always felt that they were a waste of space. But, I may feel the same way about the Pokéathlon, too, though. Not sure yet, still haven't tried it.

Good thing contests aren't mandatory. I don't see how they couldn't have added it, and people who hate contests couldn't have just ignored it.

Really now.

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
    Years
  • Well, it's been a few weeks, so I guess it's time.

I'm comparing to Platinum here:

1. Way too hard to rematch Gym Leaders.

2. Fewer opportunities for NPC team-ups (Cheryl, Riley, Marley, etc). I thought these were a lot of fun.

3. Cut-and-past Battle Frontier. It's very unusual for the Pokemon developers to be this obviously lazy. They couldn't even be bothered to include simple cosmetic changes like some new Frontier Brains (which are really just names, sprites, and a couple lines of dialog). At least one new or different facility would have been good as a bare minimum, too.

4. I really liked having a villa to customize after I beat the Elite Four. You feel a lot more like a real champ with your own luxury villa than you do still living with your mom after becoming the best, most famous trainer in the known world. NPCs like Gym Leaders feel a bit less developed because I was used to the extra dialog and interaction with them once they start visiting your villa in Platinum.

5. Not being able to Fly anywhere on the map except from the Indigo Plateau is just silly.

6. Why no option to utilize the lower DS screen play more by having the PokeGear running down there by default like the Poketch was? I miss being able to see the current time without going to a sub-screen, for example.

Last edited:

Sardonix

::Divinity AllSpark Holder::
    Years
  • One thing that I truly miss is the Vs Seeker. Not once have I gotten a call from the trainers that I've given my number to for a rematch. A lot of times, it was useless banter, aside from Beverly giving me a Nugget, which made my day. If they remade Gold and Silver using 4th Gen features, why did they cut out the Vs Seeker and the bike with gear shifts? The Vs Seeker was one of the best items ever. Out of all the items I've used in Platinum, the Vs Seeker was it. Man, I miss that thing. :/

Years
  • the surfing pokemon still looks like a downgraded wailmer...your pokemon cant evolve mid-battle,and youdont get the GB player in the beggining

billios

Water Pokémon Master
    Years
  • lyra, what's the point in having her there? and why doesn't marill evolve when she says it does!?

vs. seeker too, i wish i could rematch anyone i wanted when i wanted!

kraine

artist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2011
    Complaints: Flareon looks stupid. It should be fluffier.

OH. And I HATE, absolutely LOATHE how the female trainer looks. What a hideous freak. I had to pick the male character to avoid the thing.

Oh, RRGH. And the game corner in the american version is impossible. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • As said, I like not having the VS Seeker, but they should've boosted wild Pokemon levels in Kanto. As well, people call you by phones for battles, and depending on the time of day, you can call trainers for rebattles, too so it's not too bad. I rebattled a few people already.

Pokemon Contests would've been nice; Lyra needs work.

For leveling, why not use the battle frontier? It opens up after the Elite Four and I'm assuming they're high enough leveled and give decent EXP.

Just a thought.

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • I guess thats true, but you'd need to get someones phone number who likes to rematch a lot and pays out a good amount of money and I haven't found anyone like that yet. Any recommendations?

well theres the gentleman in olivine lighthouse, who gives 4,000 to beat him, and he gives you his number, and if you have amulet coin you get 8,000 :D

pokemon_beauty

Pretty in Pink
    Years
  • There really isn't anything to do other than complete your Pokedex after you beat the Elite Four and Red. I beat the game in 4 days and haven't picked it up since. It is depressing :(

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • For leveling, why not use the battle frontier? It opens up after the Elite Four and I'm assuming they're high enough leveled and give decent EXP.

Just a thought.
    Really because last i checked you do not gain EXP in the Battle Frontier.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Good things:
    You can actually battle the gym leaders whenever you want!
    Just change the time on your DS to the time they wanna battle!

Complaints
    NO VS SEEKER!!Damnit that way the one crappy thing about the pokgear
    Latias IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!!!
    I swear when I'm in the same route as him he dosen't show up!!(any tips?)
    Copy and pasted battle frontier (Could'nt they change ANYTHING?)
    Blue's number is hard to get!

That's it other than that no complaints its an awesome game (Friend balls work beter than ultra balls!!)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Yes, but have a Pokemon that's level 30s and use Max Repel and go to the grass where Latias is. You'll find her.

Years
  • The voltorb flip game is the most annoying thing ever. I need 10,000 coins just to get ice beam so I can beat up on Lance. I miss being able to buy enough coins for the prizes.

I also find the changes to the pc a little annoying, but I can handle that one once I get used to it.

Back