• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
  • I'm playing on v1.1 and I've just got to Erika (challenge mode Nuzlocke) and I noticed you've said you un-nerferd her but wow,
    Spoiler:
    is it supposed to be so unforgiving? I was expecting level cap to be increased a little compared to a vanilla run but not that much!

Damn. No, this is not intentional. I'll put up a fix shortly. In the meantime, if you don't want to wait to get your Rainbow Badge, drop down to normal mode and fight her. Her normal mode team should be unaffected. My bad.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes Erika's Challenge Mode roster again. The first post has been updated, but you can also get it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.2

• The game now reads Erika's Challenge Mode roster correctly and she should now use the intended team in game.

No other changes have been made.

A playtester has found a bug with how Shiny Deoxys is displayed, and with how Deoxys' party icon is displayed in the move details page of the summary screen. They will be fixed in a future release alongside other non-critical bugs.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

So I didn't recompile after testing Erika's roster, so some of the changes I made simply to test to make sure things were right made it into the patch. The moral of the story is not to rush a bugfix right after waking up.

I've uploaded a new patch to fix this. Get it from the first post or here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.3

• Swimmer Sedef, the Sp. Def EV trainer on Cape Brink, now has the correct rematch roster instead of Challenge Erika's roster. This is the only change.

If this was just some random trainer somewhere I would've waited to fix this, but since this is a trainer I expect many will be rematching if they're EV training, I felt compelled to fix this now. Sorry to the people who downloaded 1.1.2 and now have to update like 4.5 hours later over this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Outstanding project.

I tried importing an existent Leaf Green save file and got placed in a Battle Tower void (I can exit with Fly so no big deal), and the inventory was corrupted. Is it possible to compile the patch with only the modifications that don't mess with the save file structure? Or should I research how to convert my save file?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Outstanding project.

I tried importing an existent Leaf Green save file and got placed in a Battle Tower void (I can exit with Fly so no big deal), and the inventory was corrupted. Is it possible to compile the patch with only the modifications that don't mess with the save file structure? Or should I research how to convert my save file?

Hi there.

I have no plans to create a separate version that's compatible with vanilla save files. Your bag is corrupted because I've completely changed how and where inventory data is stored (this is the same reason I warn people not to use save editors to edit their bag). Additionally, there are new flags and variables that should be set that your vanilla file will be missing. You could research how to convert your save file, but I think it would be quicker and easier to start a new game, transfer all your Pokemon from the vanilla save over with PKHeX, and just speedrun to the endgame. On Easy Mode with all the QoL enhancements, you could zoom through very quickly. I'm curious, is there something particular about the endgame that you want to skip right to? Or was it more about preserving your existing save on an enhanced version?

Akumu0

Aspiring Master
    Years
  • Hello. I hope this isn't a dumb question but I wanna play this game but I'm not sure how to trade with other games. Like how would I trade with the Gamecube games? And can this game trade with a Rom hack of Emerald?( Like a vanilla Emerald hack that includes all 386 Pokemon). This game sounds amazing and I wanna play through FRLG again but can't get into the official games lol.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2021
    I have been looking for something like this for a while.

1. Based on what you wrote in one of your comments I think Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile and Corsola missing from first 251 Pokémon, am I right?
    2. Would you consider adding a new tab to Pokémon profiles to show Hidden Power Type, EV and IVs.
    3. Would you consider making HMs usable without teaching them?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Hello. I hope this isn't a dumb question but I wanna play this game but I'm not sure how to trade with other games. Like how would I trade with the Gamecube games? And can this game trade with a Rom hack of Emerald?( Like a vanilla Emerald hack that includes all 386 Pokemon). This game sounds amazing and I wanna play through FRLG again but can't get into the official games lol.

mGBA has the ability to link with other instances of itself for other GBA Pokemon games and with Dolphin for Colo/XD/Box: RS. Going to File -> New Multiplayer Window allows you to open up another instance of mGBA as player 2, load your GBA ROM, and link as if you were playing actual GBAs with a link cable. Make sure you go to the far right counter in the 2nd floor of the Pokemon Center.

Right under that option, there is a "Connect to Dolphin..." option that you can use to connect to a Pokemon Colosseum, XD, and Box: Ruby and Sapphire being played on Dolphin.

Alternatively, you can load this hack onto a flashcart and trade with real versions of all of these games on hardware if you are able to.

I have been looking for something like this for a while.

1. Based on what you wrote in one of your comments I think Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile and Corsola missing from first 251 Pokémon, am I right?
    2. Would you consider adding a new tab to Pokémon profiles to show Hidden Power Type, EV and IVs.
    3. Would you consider making HMs usable without teaching them?

1. The Johto starters and Celebi are the only Johto Pokemon that are unobtainable.
    2. Hidden Power's actual type and power for individual Pokemon are already displayed on the move details page of the summary screen. There are no plans to show EV and IV information, though with the information displayed on a Pokemon's Hidden Power, it shouldn't be hard to figure out a Pokemon's IVs.
    3. This is something I went back and forth about over the course of development and decided to keep like Gen 3 did it. However, I have made it so Cut trees stay cut permanently, and boulders that directly block progress through an area (in Victory Road and Mt. Ember) are moved permanently, so once you've cut all the trees (there are only four in the whole game that directly block progress if I recall correctly), solved the Victory Road boulder puzzle, and moved past the Mt. Ember boulders, you don't need to use those HMs again outside of optional pickups. In reality, the only HM you absolutely need after doing this unless you're planning on going to specific places is Surf (though, you'll probably want to keep Fly). Dive areas are all optional and don't have any trainer battles in them, so there is no need to bring a full team. Waterfall is only used in the field in Icefall Cavern. Flash is only used in Rock Tunnel. Rock Smash is entirely optional (though if you want Shuckle you'll have to teach it to someone). Strength and Cut I explained above. I eased the HM inconveniences as much as I could without completely gutting the Gen 3 flavor, but I'm open to more suggestions on this.

Thanks for both of your comments.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    is it possible to upgrade level cap to 255? i tried with the guide for vanilla but can't do it maybe there is an other method

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Damn this looks absolutely amazing. DO you have in your plans doing this approach of 3rd gen on Emerald?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Damn this looks absolutely amazing. DO you have in your plans doing this approach of 3rd gen on Emerald?

I may sometime in the future, but I have too much on my plate right now to pursue it anytime soon. I'd also have to figure out how I'd want to do the wild Pokemon switch based on version, because I absolutely do not want to deal with the story changes between the three Hoenn games. I bet vanilla RSE feels ridiculously slow after playing this. Whenever I had to boot up my LeafGreen cart to reference something, it was absolute torture how long things took without my improvements.

TLDR: I'm considering it, but it wouldn't be soon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    Awesome hack, it is marvelous but how can I unlock Gym Leader rematches?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    A little bug found when going through Charizard's and Dragonite's relearn moves random character letters pop out is this normal.

Attachments

• [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+
      Pokemon FRLG+_1625701184911.png
      5.8 KB · Views: 22
    • [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+
      Pokemon FRLG+_1625701233373.png
      5.4 KB · Views: 20
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I may sometime in the future, but I have too much on my plate right now to pursue it anytime soon. I'd also have to figure out how I'd want to do the wild Pokemon switch based on version, because I absolutely do not want to deal with the story changes between the three Hoenn games. I bet vanilla RSE feels ridiculously slow after playing this. Whenever I had to boot up my LeafGreen cart to reference something, it was absolute torture how long things took without my improvements.

TLDR: I'm considering it, but it wouldn't be soon.

Thats great to hear. I love replaying frlg with overhaul experiences, so this is just fantastic. Although I'd really love to see a "386" vision because how good you implemented legendary encounters and such, I get that you had a vision with this project. Hope I can see more in the future!!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • A little bug found when going through Charizard's and Dragonite's relearn moves random character letters pop out is this normal.

That's not intended. I'll fix it when I have the time to bang out a bunch of bugs at once. Thanks for your report! If you could tell me what level your Charizard and Dragonite were when you experienced this, that would help me narrow this down.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    That's not intended. I'll fix it when I have the time to bang out a bunch of bugs at once. Thanks for your report! If you could tell me what level your Charizard and Dragonite were when you experienced this, that would help me narrow this down.

No problem, happy to help. Both Charizard and Dragonites were at LV. 56.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    Hi. Is it possible to implement GBA Sounds just like Pokemon Throwback? I love that feature.
    Also, is there a list for the Ability Pickup item list or table? Thanks in advance.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Hi. Is it possible to implement GBA Sounds just like Pokemon Throwback? I love that feature.
    Also, is there a list for the Ability Pickup item list or table? Thanks in advance.

Hi.

CrystalDust has an incomplete GB Sounds implementation for decomp that I'd consider throwing in if it is ever finished. I'm not interested in trying to graft Throwback's binary implementation of it onto this project partly because I know very little about how sound works on the GBA and partly because that's more work than I want to take on for this project. So, like the Battle Frontier, it's a "maybe one day" kind of goal for this project that is contingent on someone else doing the bulk of the implementation.

The Pickup table (and all other data that someone may want to look up) is on the GitHub. Here's a direct link to the Pickup table.

Back